Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall (Read 36308 times)
Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall
Sep 8th, 2016 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Last week, I inherited my grandfather's 1889 vintage 1885 low wall that appears to use a 45-70. I say "appears" because my uncle confessed that about 10 years ago he sanded the rifling with a rotary sanding drum on a dentist drill--so no rifling remains. However, a 45-70 cartridge seems to fit the chamber perfectly. The rifle was born as a 32 WCF but the original barrel had been replaced.

I love to hunt and want to restore the rifle to hunt deer with it. And when I die, I'd like to will it to my grandson so he will have the rifle that his great-great grandfather used. He also loves rifles as much as me. This means that I need to re-barrel the rifle. Here in Missouri I can expect a 100 yard shot on average, and sometimes up to 150 yards. Who knows where my grandson will settle as an adult, so I'd like to restore the gun to something that shoots fairly well out to about 150 yards. 

Since the chamber pressure for a 45-70 is somewhere around 32,000 CIP, I assumed that a 45-70 is too hot for a low wall  receiver. Most of the recommendations I've read about a low wall indicate that I should re-barrel to a caliber that keeps the pressures below 28,000, and some even say below 24,000. However, a local gunsmith notes that the 45-70 cartridge is straight-shanked and therefore exerts a lot of the pressure on the chamber walls instead of pushing back against the falling block. He warned me about using any high pressure cartridge that tapers, saying that the block may not last over the years if a high pressure cartridge pushes primarily against the block. He said that I could use black powder if I'm still concerned about the pressure.

A second option is to re-barrel for a 45-60 (28,000 CIP), or maybe even a 40-82 (24,000 CIP) This would mean hand-loading all rounds. I don't mind that, but it could be a nuisance for my grandson when the time comes for him to inherit it. I think the 40-82 may use a tapered cartridge, so maybe the 45-60 would be easier on the receiver than the 45-70 or the 40-82 over the long haul?

A third option is to mark the barrel for black powder only. I'm an avid flintlock shooter so my grandson will inherit my other black powder guns anyway. He loves my flintlock, so I expect that he'll be OK with using a black powder rifle. 

This will certainly end up as the most expensive "gift" that I've ever received--expensive FOR me, that is. So I appreciate your insights and guidance.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
The case heads of the 40 - 45 cal's are to large for a LW. They create to much breech block thrust, whether staight or tapered case.

The largest case head that should be used is the 357 mag. I have a LW chambered in 357 Max but, the factory rounds create to much pressure for a LW BB. I load mine at Lead PB velocitys of about 1400+ fps with a 200 gr bullet. That's plenty of power for deer at 150 yds. People on this forum will tell you that I overload my LW with that load but, it has proved safe for me.

The only thing about chambering a LW in that cartridge, is if someone uses factory ammo. I get around that by marking it 38 Wesson XL, you can add black powder only.

Another good cartridge is the 25/20SS, using 120 gr bullet, with a 10 twist. I think it would provide the power and accuracy for 150 yard kills at 150, too, using 1500 fps loads.

If your interested in a 22 Hornet for it, I have a barrel in that cal.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Your grandfather/uncle must have been thinking of using it for .45-70 shot cartridges.  I've seen another instance of a .45-70 smoothbore barrel on a weak action.  The Government had shot cartridges made for troops to forage for food with in  the days of the Trapdoor.   

I'm in total agreement with Frank.   Smaller cartridges, even at BP pressure.   Like the BP .357 Max idea.   

There's a caution about Max reamers - SAAMI reamers don't cut a very good chamber in a rifle.  Read Mike Bellm's various screeds on the subject.  I had a proper reamer made for me by Dave Manson.  Bellm does chambering for T/C Contenders with a similar one.   

Max brass has been scarce, but just today I got an email from Bellm in which he mentions that he has a new source opening up.

<div class=

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 12:00am
Print Post  
.357 Magnum might be a little less than you were hoping for in a cartridge, but ammo will be available on store shelves for a long time to come and your son might not be a dedicated handloader. .357 Mag is a perfect cartridge for a low wall, which never really was a 150 yard deer rifle by today's standards.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Well, I suspected all along that hoping for a 150 yard deer gun from a LW was probably expecting too much. However, I have also wondered about getting it re-barreled for a 38-55 marked for black powder only?

Regardless, I am also intrigued with the idea of re-barreling it for a 357 mag. I guess that I could re-barrel it or get the existing barrel relined. The existing octagon barrel is fairly beat up, but so is the rest of the rifle. As a 357, should I get a new barrel or get the existing one relined? No matter what, the collector value is 0.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Since the rifle has 0 collector's value, I want to make it either useful for game, or useful for just having fun. So if I can't make it into a good deer gun, then I might consider making it into a good long-range varmint gun. What long-range caliber would you suggest that is appropriate for a LW varmint rifle?

Since it has no collector's value, I would even consider a modern round such as a 223, 243, or 6mmBR.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2016 at 8:57am by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 10:18am
Print Post  
None of the modern high pressure varmint rounds would be suitable for a LW action. They're just too much for that great old action.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Biggest caliber factory offered  in a Low Wall was .44-40, according to the catalogs.  Since your barrel is already reamed out, a TJ liner might slide right in there, needing only solder or epoxy, and chambering.

I'm pretty happy with my reline job, but, unfortunately, it's about a 75-100 yd deer cartridge for a,good hunter and tracker.  Olde Tyme Hunters used to fire the cartridge at much greater distances, but as Olde Tyme Writers delicately put it, "It was kind of hard on the game."

Most Low Walls have the small barrel shank, so there is not a lot of "meat" there for a large, high-intensity caliber.  .218 Bee or 2R Lovell would be about the max I would want to try.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 10:58am
Print Post  
What people are trying to say is: An original Low-Wall just won't take high pressure cartridges or even larger cartridges at lower pressures.
It will crack the receiver at the right rear corner of the breech block opening.
Just not a long range action. About the best varmint cartridge for it would be a .25-20.
Chuck

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 11:13am
Print Post  
OK. That's the kind of input that I really really appreciate. I may want a deer rifle or a varmint gun out of it, but if I'm going to give it to my grandson, then I definitely do not want it to blow up in his face. And my wife might not appreciate me letting it blow up in my face, either.  Smiley

A 223 seems like a low recoil round to me. Is it still to much for this action?

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 12:59pm
Print Post  

May I suggest the good ol' .38 Spl. ? It'd be fun for the youngster, and cheap to shoot as well. Not likely a magnum round will ever enter it to threaten his well being. I had one in .32-20 and it was pleasant to shoot as well, but not as cheap to feed as the .38 would be.
When the time comes, get him a deer rifle- till then just have a good time with a neat ol' shooter he can affford to shoot a lot.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Ditto Called Flyer.
38 Spl would be the best, cheapest to shoot either factory or reloads and not overtax the low wall strength.
with a proper job cone to line the barrel, this ctg will be Very accurate
Great Fun.
My similar Martini Cadet, rebored 50 + yrs ago to 357mag
Is a great,accurate fun gun to "just shoot". (Martini is much stronger than the early low wall, so the mag ctg is ok, tho I do NOT
ever load full magnum strength loads. Just not needed).
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Oh, get a 14 twist liner if possible, so the 38 can if desired be loaded with up to 200 gr rifle bullets. I like the 200 gr Lyman cast bullet #358315. Shoots very well in my 13 twist.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Have you tried the Ideal/Lyman #35875 200 grain plain base bullet?
Lyman had loading data for it in both the 38 Special and the 357 Mag.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
One of the above posts mentions an option for barreling in a 22 Hornet. That interests me. However, in another post about Low Walls, I found that John Taylor mentions, "Most have too big a firing pin to be safe with the hornet which is rated at 43,000. The hornet is good for blowing holes in the primer even in a strong action." Depending where that primer and firing pin go, I wonder if it might ruin my day. 

If I used only factory loaded 22 Hornets, would that still be a problem, or is this primarily a problem with hand loaded 22 Hornets? I think I know the answer, but as a newbie I have to ask even the dumb questions.

And if I opt to re-barrel to a 38 special, would a 38+P be OK? These may seem like dumb questions, but I need to know what I'm doing.

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2016 at 3:40pm by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Yes, the +P .38 loads would be fine. Even with the fat pin, if yours does have that. Most do. 
I don't quite understand your incessant desire to "go for a little more" with every caliber though. It isn't gonna make a sudden deer rifle out of it, and would likely just be somewhat less accurate. Try, instead slower heavy bullets like some have been suggesting. You probably will like it so much that the boy won't get it from you.... while yer alive! Wink

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I know that you are right about bullet velocity being somewhat less important than accuracy and fun. My favorite rifle is a 62 cal flintlock--definitely slower than any other rifle I know, but I shoot it every chance I get because it is fun. So i know you are right. 

But I also want to avoid making a big mistake that could hurt myself or others. Some people have told me to go ahead and rebarrel to a 45-70 or 38-55. Without the input from this forum, I would have proceeded down that path. I'm very thankful for the input above that keeps me on a safer path. 

Your honest question has helped me to better understand my issue with this gun. Upon inheriting it, I expected to use it for deer hunting just like my grandfather used it. But last Tuesday I found that the barrel was ruined. I reluctantly decided to replace it but today found that the barrel is unsafe for the action even if it were in good condition. So now I'm faced with spending $300-$400 to fix a rifle that I can't use for deer hunting or varmint hunting. It's taking a while to adjust my expectations to this reality. I'm still unsure if it's worth $300+ to have a rifle that shoots 38's. But this seems like the best option if I choose to use the rifle. The real problem isn't the rifle but my expectations. I didn't expect to have to pay $300+ for a fairly beat up rifle that shoots 38's. You've posed an honest question that I need to Consider before making any more steps. THAT is also one of the benefits of a forum like this. 
Please don't take offense at my rantings. I think your insights are right on.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2016 at 5:53pm by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
It has a large firing pin, if that's what you mean.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Joe, if it was a piece manufactured in 1889, wouldn't it be a small-thread, flat side? I don't recall if any were different. 
Some high walls had small threads, but the other way on low wall, until the later Winder version?

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #19 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
I guess that I don't understand the question.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
In my youth. well I wasn't that young but it was a long time ago, I had a low wall in 22 K-Hornet. It was a lot of fun and I never pierced a primer. Someone offered a barrel in 22 Hornet. If the barrel shank size (the part that screws into the action) is correct and the price is less than a reline or new barrel, that might be a way to go.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Understanding the question--- Well, the Winchester single shots came with two different barrel shank threads. The predominant size for the low wall is the small size- it would limit the size of case the barrel would be able to take without thinning the wall of the barrel to a dangerous level. Certainly too thin for a high  power round. These were even a little smaller in external dimensions than the high walls, too. 
Most, but not all high walls had a larger thread and could take the biggies. Toward the end of production a lot of low wall rifles were made  using the large external dimensions and big barrel thread. Most folks even think these are just highwalls with the sides cut down and a low wall block. As far as I know these last ones were all .22s.
Sounds like you need to get in touch with a good, repeat, good smith to advise you about what you have. But it can be made good again if you stay clear of the ones that think swapping parts back and forth on black plastic crap is gunsmithing.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #22 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
I'm unsure if this photo will help answer the question, but it looks pretty thin at face value. But remember that this is a 45-70 chamber.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2016 at 7:21pm by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
There is no shame attached to owning a nice low wall in 22LR, and they make fine shooters. Other than 38 Special or 357 Magnum, you will be almost forced to reload as most of the other ammunition mentioned is in short supply and/or expensive.

$300.00 is not much to invest in a rifle that will be used for a couple of more generations and kept in the family. It might as be in a caliber that will be continue to be available for that length of time.

Jim H.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #24 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
There's a highly recommended smith about 1-1/2 hours from me who can re-barrel or reline the existing barrel. I've made an appointment to take the rifle to him next Wednesday. I'll avoid making any decisions until I get his input.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I think that smith is a good idea. Whatever you decide to make it up into, good luck. Let us hear how it turns out. With the large pin,  I'd stick with a mild, low pressure round. That, the Hornet is not. With a smaller pin (more money to change), the Hornet is a spiffy choice. I gave my oldest g'daughter an old Sako in that chambering that she learned to reload on. Dang, I miss that gun.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #26 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
One more question before taking it to the smith:

If I ask the smith to re-bore the receiver for a large threaded barrel, would I have a few additional calibers that I could choose from?

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
not really

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #28 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 9:33am
Print Post  
I just finished reading a series of postings on the marlin owners forum relating to the pressures produced by a black powder 38-55 cartridge. The are saying that the pressures are about 17,000 psi max. This sounds entirely within the limit for my LW. Even a 38 special produces more than that. I would just need to get the barrel stamped "for black powder only." I use BP in my flintlock so I do not mind loading it or getting the barrel stamped for it. 

Is this a possibility for me?

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #29 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 9:53am
Print Post  
If you want that Low-Wall block sticking out of the middle of your forehead then by all means chamber it for 38-55. Either you or some later owner is going to blow it apart. 
If you want a nice that’s fun to shoot chamber it in 32-20. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #30 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Winchester only chambered Low Walls in 32-20 and 44-40.  Anything higher power got put into a high wall.  That means that Winchester thought it was unsafe to put a 32-40 on a low wall, let alone a 38-55, BP or not.  If Winchester thought it was unsafe 130 years ago you shouldn't do it today.

The low wall was made because it is a fumbly process to load a high wall with a small cartridge.  If you cut down the walls you can load a small cartridge much more easily.  You give up lots of strength but you don't need strength to shoot those small cartridges anyway.   

I have seen a few 32-40 Low Walls and even a 38-55 Low Wall (non-original of course).  They may work for a while but I am not standing next to a guy shooting one.   

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Click on url below, this is a good cliber for your rebarrel....

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Sep 11th, 2016 at 9:53am:
If you want that Low-Wall block sticking out of the middle of your forehead then by all means chamber it for 38-55. Either you or some later owner is going to blow it apart. 
If you want a nice that’s fun to shoot chamber it in 32-20. 

40 Rod

One of the horrible things about the .38-55 is that it will chamber and fire the .375 Winchester, which is a high pressure round loaded for their beefed-up Big Bore levergun.  SAAMI max pressure 55,000 psi.  Commercial loads said to be about 50,000 psi.   Just one of those will probably scatter a Low Wall from here to breakfast.  

An industrial safety variant of Murphy's Law that I've had to live by through years of designing automation is:  "If it can happen, it will happen."  No matter how the barrel is marked.  

I stated earlier that I kinda liked the idea of .357 Maximum, using only black powder.  But I'm remembering that there was hot loaded commercial Max ammo in the past, and with the resurgence of the round for use in rifles, I'm seeing quoted velocities that put the pressure up in the 50,000 range from the custom loaders.  So I retract my suggestion, and would go for .357 Magnum instead.   
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2016 at 12:34pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #33 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
I shoot a 62 cal black powder flintlock and we have the same problem--people try to put modern powder in them or mix modern powder with BP in them. It's abusive to their head and abusive to the rifle. I sometimes have more sympathy for the rifle because it has no choice about what happens. 

As long as the rifle is properly marked I don't have much sympathy for those who choose to abuse it. Maybe I should be more sympathetic. Some of these choices are in the grey area for me.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Nathan,
Going to give a Cartridge Thrust 101 lecture. Smiley
Cartridge thrust is the force of the cartridge base on the breechblock.
It is determined by the cartridge pressure multiplied times the area of the cartridge base.
Cartridge thrust for the same pressure increases by the square of the diameter of the cartridge base.

The original Low-Wall is a weaker design because the receiver reaction shoulders are significantly below the center of cartridge thrust.
This causes the breech block to work like a pry bar and increases the stress on the receiver shoulders. Have you crushed wood or metal with a pry bar?
Lack of support on the lower ejector side adds to this.
The Low-Wall is a fine action for smaller base diameter, low to medium pressure cartridges, but just not designed for higher performance cartridges.
The same design with the receiver reaction shoulders above the center of cartridge thrust (High-Wall) will handle most any reasonable cartridge
Chuck

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
We must also remember that us red-blooded american men, when we set our minds to it, we can ( and will ) blow-up any rifle that has been made including Hi-Walls.  Ledball

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
I personally prefer to keep my red blood on the inside of my skin, and have my mind directed to keeping it that way.
     Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
I see three rifles in your future. 1; a suitable modern deer rifle. 2;that damn varmint rifle you covet. 3; a blown up low wall if you don't give up making it into one of the first two.
Please don't make it up into something  it was never intended to be. Those folks at  Winchester knew why they offered both high and low versions of their wonderful single shot. 
Lovely rifles Joe. Be a lot nicer if they were high walls Cool

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #38 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
I decided to compare the pressure on the block of a 38 special (22000 psi) to the block pressure of a 38-55 using black powder (17000 psi). I'm unsure of the actual butt area of a 38 special cartridge or a 38-55 cartridge, but my calculations are based on the 38 special being .357 while the 38-55 is .380.  Although the butt of the 38-55 cartridge certainly has more area than 38 special, I was surprised to see that the 38 special pressure on the block is about 10% higher than the 38-55 black powder cartridge (Pi X (.5 X radius squared) X psi).

So, if my numbers are right, it SEEMS that a 38-55 black powder cartridge will not overpower the receiver or block any more than a 38 special.  

However, I agree that we do have some responsibility to protect those who might misuse a black-powder labeled 38-55. I'm unsure how much responsibility to assume. I know that I'd probably feel horrible if my grandson put a modern round in my low wall and hurt himself. At the least I assume responsibility to properly label it, and maybe even to warn him severely if I leave it to him in my will. It's hard for me to assume responsibility for those who fail to read the "black powder only" warning. When I leave him my 62 cal black powder flintlock, I run the same risk that he could try to load a mixture of BP and modern gun powder in it. Old guns commonly used BP, and so do some modern guns labeled with a warning against using anything else.

Do I need to warn those who buy a 150 mph motorcycle that those speeds can kill them? Do I need to warn a parent to lock up their handguns? Are gun manufacturers responsible for those who misuse assault style rifles? I think our political parties are presently fighting over issues like these. 

At this point, however, I'm still looking at all the possibilities before spending $. So far, the three options seem to be 1) use a low pressure round, similar to a 38 special or smaller, 2) re-barrel for a 22 hornet, 3) re-barrel for a black powder only round, 38-55 or smaller. Of those three possibilities, I'm still more intrigued with the possibility of turning this rifle into a 22 hornet varmint rifle. But from what some are saying, I may need to ask the smith to replace the large firing pin with the small one. Even if I have him replace the large for a small firing pin, is the 22 hornet still a reasonable option?

I know it seems like I'm taking you guys all around on these issues, but I really really do appreciate your input.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #39 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
I love the insights of calledflyer.  YES, YES.  You are right on! I own a 30-06 and 308 that I sometimes use during modern gun season, but my favorite is a 62 cal black powder flintlock with 42" barrel. There's nothing like a single shot for true fun.

IP Logged

JSB30
Senior Forum Member

Reply #40 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Sell it for the action and get a modern bolt action. It will cost you far less. A low wall IS NOT suitable for a 38-55 or anything larger than a older pistol round. It is not suitable for a 22 Hornet either. Not suitable for any rifle round. Modern 38 Special would be pushing it limits and I would not trust it. In my opinion.  Take it for what it is worth.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #41 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
I appreciate everyone's input and recommendations. Since I am a retired scientist from a research lab, I tend to especially relish the science that makes things work, and not work. Indeed, my wife notes that I seem to enjoy finding out why something cannot work even more than finding out why it can work.

From what I've been reading, it looks like the LW should handle rounds below 24,000 psi fairly well, and increasingly less well as pressures get higher. The 38 special commonly exerts around 22,000 psi, and a host of other rounds come in at lower psi, including quite a few black powder cartridges. 

My first motive is to end up with a rifle that is safe, although even the word "safe" is a subjective word. In this case, 24,000 psi seems to form one of the boundaries for "safe." Is this 24,000 psi boundary really a good boundary? Intuitively, I believe there must be some other boundaries, too. And I need help establishing them. For instance, some of the above posts point out the danger of getting the chamber wall too thin, but how thin? Is there a formula for that boundary? Other posts above point out the danger of a high powered round blowing out the firing pin (e.g., in a 22 hornet). But what is the formula for that boundary? A smith told me that a straight-shanked bullet will exert most of it's pressure against the chamber sidewall and that sidewall pressure will counteract some of the pressure against the falling block. Is there a formula for how that affects the chamber wall thickness and the pressure against the falling block? Another forum mentioned that a 38-55 in black powder produces about 17,000 psi. Is that true? What are the actual psi readings for various black powder rounds? And I'm sure there are other boundaries, too. 

Please keep your insights coming. Even when they don't include the science about how things work or don't, you can see from some of the above comments that they have led me to better understand my own motives and issues with this rifle. Sometimes, those motives and hidden issues are even more important than the science and formulas.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2016 at 4:58am by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #42 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 10:03am
Print Post  
I just made a table of comparisons for different calibers to compare the thrust on the 1885 block (see attachment 1 for pdf format). The ones marked *** indicate the common calibers marketed for the 1885 LW.

I was surprised to see that the 32-20, 38-40, and 44-40 all show slightly higher thrust values than the 38 special. The thrust for 38+P seems almost perfectly matched to the 24,000 psi design limit that some people recommend. 

For me, the most obvious problem shown by this table is that the 22 Hornet seems somewhat overpowered (11% higher) in comparison to the design limit. 

I suspect that a host of other factors might be just as important as the thrust load. But this table has helped me to consider ruling out the 22 Hornet for a LW.

In the table, BP indicates black powder cartridge. So the 45-70 is obviously way too powerful even in a black powder cartridge.

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:33pm by Nathan Davis »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 127 KB | 4 Downloads )

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Nathan,
In your calulations, you've mixed outside and inside head diameters and standard and HV pressure loadings also, the 25/20SS has a case head of .318. It's best to use the outside diameter of the case head for calulations, just because the inside diameters will vary and you'll get the same realtionship that way.

You'll find that the people that recomend the 32/20 are thinking 14/16K pressures.

While some people only think the LW is only good for 22RF cartridges, others, including Frank DeHaas, think it's strong enough for the 357 Mag.

Some on this sight have seen LW's with cracked frames but, don't know the history behind them. I think that the people to lesson to are the ones that actually use the LW and can tell you how it's use has effected it's longevity.

In my case, I have run loads in the Max case that exceed 2100 fps, with a 146 gr GC bullet, as well as 1900 fps, with a 208 gr GC bullet.  I DO NOT RECOMEND those loads!  But, I will recomend loads that send a 208 gr bullet @ 1400+ fps and that should be in the <30,000 pressure area or ~3300 pounds of thrust. My LW shows no ill effects or wear in that application. Mine was and is still in excellent condition, with no signs of wear or looseness.

The thing to watch for, with a LW, is case head stretching, when that happens, you exceeded it's ability to totally hold the pressure. If that happens, back your load off! I personally think the most dangerous cartridges for the LW, are the 38 & 44/40, because of the case head size, the HV loadings and the ease of double charging them.

We've had many lively discussions over the LW on this forum but, it is not the weakest action out there and with small case heads, it will do the job.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Nathan,
Because you are a research scientist, Google ANSI/SAAMI Z299.3 and ANSI/SAAMI Z299.4 for manufacturer's standards for pistol and rifle cartridges.
Anything else is a guess and even they disagree on copper units of pressure vs. transducer data.
For action strength, pressure alone has very little meaning unless the cartridge diameter is specified.
The thin wall brass tube cartridge has very little effect on cartridge thrust.

For barrel shank information, Google "thick wall cylinders" and find formulas to calculate stress.
Use the thread root radius or the smallest radius on the shank and the largest radius of the cartridge chamber.
Chuck 

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #45 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Chuck
These are great leads--just what I'm looking for. Thanks.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
I need to qualify my above statements, regarding the use of the loads that I have used. The 1400 fps, 208 gr loads, are breech seated loads! By that, I would reduce fixed loads by 100 fps, for simalar pressure.

Sorry, but I shoot very little fixed ammo, as is the case with most of the competive shooters on this site.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #47 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks Frank,

You caught some important things on the table that I needed to correct. I've updated it, and like it a little more. 

I'm now leaning a little toward re-lining for a 38-55 marked "for black powder only." However, I also notice in the table that the performance of the 44-40 and 38-40 is quite close to that of the black powder version of the 38-55, and I wouldn't have to do my own hand loading or clean it between every shot. So that 44-40 is looking quite tempting. I'll need to think on this for a while and talk to the smith.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:55pm by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Methinks we've all been beating our heads against a wall.
Just think of the safety factor in stamping black powder only on her- that'll work for sure. Can't get safer than that!

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #49 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
As someone said 2000 years ago, I'm almost persuaded.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Sort of like a research scientist that finds limited data to support the conclusion they want to reach and ignores all the other data.
That is why there is peer review.
Chuck

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #51 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 10:31am
Print Post  
The saga of my grandfather's 1885 LW, built in late 1888 continues:

It was re-barreled to a 45-70 Winchester barrel, just before my grandfather bought it, sometime in the late 1920's. So, it MAY have a higher quality steel in the barrel than the original barrel. I've looked and cannot find any mark indicating the quality or type of steel for the barrel, but I don't know what to look for. Is there any mark that was commonly used that could trace this barrel to indicate the quality of steel? If it's a good quality steel, I assume that I could consider getting it relined to a smaller caliber.

I realize that the pressure against the block is still a major consideration, but possibly the barrel strength is now less of a consideration, if there is some way to verify the type of steel in the barrel.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2016 at 11:07am by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

old7groove

Reply #52 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 10:50am
Print Post  
I f I'm not mistaken later Winchester nickel steel barrels were stamped with a circled PW on the top of the barrel just ahead of the receiver ring.
7~

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #53 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
It looks like it's marked VP in a circle just behind the notch for the sight.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
It was likely re-barreled or re-bored to make a .410 shotgun out of it.
45-70 will chamber and fire a short .410 shell with a little help. Hard on the extractor.
Fairly common with Trapdoor's and other single shot actions. Much more useful around the farm.
Chuck

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Chuckster wrote on Sep 13th, 2016 at 4:06pm:
It was likely re-barreled or re-bored to make a .410 shotgun out of it.
45-70 will chamber and fire a short .410 shell with a little help. Hard on the extractor.
Fairly common with Trapdoor's and other single shot actions. Much more useful around the farm.
Chuck

I ran across a Stevens 044 1/2 that someone had bored out the original 25-25 barrel to try to convert the rifle to .410, and fortunately had stopped there.
Was able to buy it at a really nice low price, and turn it back into a nice CF rifle once again.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #56 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
That VP is winchesters standard proof mark.  All nickel steel barrels are marked and they are all round.  Your barrel is not a nickel steel barrel.  This doesn't matter because the limiting factor in the low wall is not the barrel but the breech block support. 

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #57 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
If I find another barrel on-line, is there any way for me to know if the barrel threads will match the receiver? As I understand it, my receiver is probably a small threaded variety but Winchester came out with larger threaded barrels in later years. Does that thread change occur in only selected calibers or in all calibers?

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #58 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
There are two shank sizes.  Most low walls were small shank and most high walls were large shank.  Yours in an early style low wall and I can almost guarantee that it has a small shank.  You can check under the barrel just in front of the forearm for a number one or two.  Any low wall barrel you find should fit and time up pretty well but with the usual caveats of headspace, extractor cuts, etc...  

There is one exception to that.  Winder muskets were all large shank because they are high walls in every way except the lowered sides and milled breech block.  Barrels from those low walls will not fit your rifle.  They are round, 28 inches long, have a heavy taper, and are usually chambered in 22 short or 22 lr.  They are all over the web and they are no use to you.  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Not later years- both small and large coexisted. Bigger size to accommodate larger rounds. Like with the lower walls, the small shank is suited to small rounds. Never saw an original small shank in either frame that was for a big case.
If the 'found' barrel is a take off from a small shank low wall the chances of it fitting are fair. Most interchange pretty well, not all. Don't forget that it will need an extractor to match.
And, don't go thinking you'll get a .38-55 or such in a small shank takeoff barrel. Ain't likely at all.  Cool

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #60 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
I hope my grandfather got this rifle for a good price because its discrepancies are driving me nuts. It's definitely a low wall but it is chambered for 45-70 and under the barrel is a 2 about an inch in front of the fore stock. So this doesn't make sense. Would they have turned the shank down and rethreaded it to fit a low wall?

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Nathan,

Just curious...
Have you removed the forearm from the rifle to examine the underside of the barrel for a calibre stamping?

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #62 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
That two is the barrel weight.  Low walls got ones and twos. That means that it is a small shank receiver, just as we thought.  The chamber doesn't mean anything.  Someone could have rechambered or rebored it in the past. 

I'm not sure I understand what discrepancies you are talking about...it seems like a fairly standard early low wall to me.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
At this point, I think Nathan needs to purchase John Campbell's book, The Winchester Single Shot.

Many details in it and will answer many, many of your questions. All HW/LW owners should have it.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #64 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
On the underside there is a large leaf spring. Under it is WCF. Between the spring and the mounting bolt for the stock is the number 2. It looks like someone tried to file that same area to remove any markings but I can still read the 2. On top of the barrel is WCF and a number 2, located about 1/4 inch before the W.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
OK, Nathan.
You have a WCF marking on both the top, and on the underside of the barrel.
The 45-70 cartridge was a cartridge developed by the US Military, it was not a cartridge developed by Winchester Repeating Arms.
Winchester factory marked the WRA rifles factory chambered for the 45-70 as 45-70 , not as 45-70 WCF.
The presence of the "WCF" in both locations on the barrel indicates that your rifle never left the WRA factory as a 45-70, but did leave the factory as a rifle produced in one of the "WCF" suffixed chamberings that were then available in the particular time period for the Low-wall you have in hand.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #66 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
In that case my barrel must be an original 32 WCF that was rebored to a larger size. That would explain why they tried to file off the original caliber indication. Now things are making more sense. You've helped me solve the mystery of this barrel. I always thought that someone had switched barrels, but not so.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #67 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Sep 13th, 2016 at 7:21pm:

Winchester factory marked the WRA rifles factory chambered for the 45-70 as 45-70 , not as 45-70 WCF.

Yes, but they weren't so conscientious when they appropriated Stevens' .25-20 SS, calling it .25 WCF, until their own brainstorm, the .25-20 repeater was developed, after which the .25 WCF designation was transferred to it.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #68 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Some looked up the serial number for me last week and noted that the rifle was originally built as a 32 WCF. However, I assumed incorrectly that they had replaced the barrel. 

It looks like my only option is to re-line it or find another barrel in one of the original calibers. I expect that it will be much cheaper to buy a used barrel to fit it.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #69 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Will a model 94 44-40 barrel fit my low wall?

Green mountain WL3628 is a 44-40 27" tapered octagon for $180. It has a 1:36 twist. What can anyone tell me about it. Does it still have to be threaded?
They have another one that is 29" for an 1886 and similar. Will that fit my low wall?
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2016 at 8:22pm by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #70 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
It looks like your extractor has been modified too. If that is the case it will need to be changed back.  It is possible that you could buy a used extractor and a used barrel and have everything work in your rifle...but it is unlikely.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #71 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Nathan Davis wrote on Sep 13th, 2016 at 8:12pm:

Green mountain WL3628 is a 44-40 27" tapered octagon for $180. It has a 1:36 twist. What can anyone tell me about it. Does it still have to be threaded?
They have another one that is 29" for an 1886 and similar. Will that fit my low wall?

Nathan,
The lowwall and highwall barrels were both threaded at 16 TPI, and used either a large or small barrel shank diameter.
If you have concluded that your lowwall uses the small barrel shank diameter, then:
The 92 and 94 barrels are threaded at 20 TPI, and have a  slightly smaller barrel shank diameter than the small shank diameter used for your lowwall.
The 1886 barrel is also threaded at 20 TPI, and has a barrel shank diameter that is larger than your lowwall small shank diameter, but is smaller than a highwall large shank diameter.
Also, the centerfire highwall and low wall barrels have an extractor cut at 9 o'clock, while the 1892 and 1894 and 1886 barrels have their extractor cuts at 12 o'clock, plus the 1886 has two additional barrel cuts at 6 o'clock for the bottom of the breechbolt at the ejector.
You need to call green mountain and talk to them about a barrel that will specifically fit your lowwall.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #72 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Nathan Davis wrote on Sep 13th, 2016 at 8:12pm:

Nathan, 

If you are referring to the Grn Mtn barrel blank that they used to refer to as their "small lever action" barrel or some such, the one that came profiled but unthreaded and unchambered, the answer is yes.  I got one in a 25 cal for one of my low-walls and had it threaded and chambered to 25-20 SS quite readily.  It came from Grn Mtn with a round section at the breech end, so I got it fitted with a "tulip" end where it meets the receiver.  No one would mistake it for original... it looks more like a #2 or #4 Ballard, but it makes for a pretty little rifle.

Froggie

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #73 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 11:19am
Print Post  
If it were a multi generation pass down rifle, I would line it. If it were me, when I handed it to my grandson, I'd want it to appear the same way it looked when my grandpa looked it over, except for the stories that the patina had to tell. I'd also suspect that it's an expedient convert to .410, and maybe not grandpa's go to deer rifle. I wouldn't suspect a 'dental drill' could hone the entire barrel length smooth. I'd ask your uncle if gramps had any other guns, then you might figure out more of what he liked or needed to hunt. This one may seem to fit in as a squirrel or pest gun, and possible some type of trade in a simpler time.

If(?) it was originally a 32-20, I'd have it lined that way, likely within budget if a new barrel and smithing is under consideration. Otherwise, I'd go 22lr. Either way, I'd take my grandson tin can plinking as much as possible instead of telling him to put it away and save it for hunting season. If it turns out to be a safe .410, then maybe have it discreetly stamped and leave it alone. Only thoughts is all, hope it all works out.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #74 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
My mother and uncle remember my grandfather bringing in quite a few deer with it and my uncle says it was chambered as a rifle, not as a shotgun. I can still see some rifling so I think my uncle fairly well destroyed the barrel with his dentist drill -- a rotary sanding drum on a long thin flexible line. Regardless, the present caliber of 45-70 is way out of line for the LW. I'm seeing a smith this afternoon to get estimates for re-lining. I gave my grandson a 22 last Christmas so he no longer need one.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #75 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
At this point, I'm seriously considering relining to a 38 or 44-40. The local bushnel outlet has some great scopes at rediculously good prices. But is there a reasonably cheep way to mount one?  All the mounts I see are $60 to $110. My budget will be already spent just to reline the rifle.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #76 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Yesterday I took the rifle to a well-known smith. He noted that it has a high wall block, but said that will not increase the strength of the action. He also noted that I've been giving the wrong serial number for the rifle. I thought that the first number was a 1 but he noted that it is a 7. The correct serial number is 76923. A couple days ago I found WCF on the top as well as the bottom of the barrel, and a 2 in both locations. 
I talked to the smith about relining it to a 38-55 as a black powder only rifle. I shoot muzzle loading black powder rifles and love them. However, I'm also considering relining it to the original caliber if I can make sure it is the original one.
The smith was skeptical about the barrel being original to the rifle. A shallow sighting notch has been filed in the top of the receiver to make it easier to see the rear sight, but the existing barrel is so thick that the breach is higher than the sighting notch. He surmises that the rifle may have originally come with a thinner barrel. So the exisiing barrel is a Winchester barrel marked WCF, but it may not be original to the rifle.

IP Logged

Lucky Shot

Reply #77 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Lots of ideas here but what I'd do with it is build a nice .22 RF and forget using it as a deer rifle, use it to hunt small game.

Al

Al
AIM  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Well, that serial isn't gonna help the strength any- just a few years younger than you figger'd. The groove on the top of the frame is there to aid in seeing the front sight with small barrels. If the barrel rises a tiny bit above that groove it's no always a replacement barrel. The factory did it that way sometimes when they were just making up things that'd fit in a hurry. Lots of factories still do stuff like that, believe me.
However, that same groove didn't do a thing to add strenth either, was used mostly on .22s, but like I said above- sometimes they were in a hurry and used what they had on hand. Just line or barrel it in a suitable (weak) round with suitable extractor- and get it over with!

IP Logged

Ziggy

Reply #79 - Sep 16th, 2016 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Quit trying to kill yourself or someone else and do what Caldflyer suggest.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #80 - Sep 16th, 2016 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
  Could be. 6 pages about a derelict low wall.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #81 - Sep 16th, 2016 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
I have learned a lot and been helped a lot by this forum but I make my decisions slowly and deliberately after I know all the options and costs. I'm unsure when I'll plunk down the $ but I still need to ponder the costs versus my desires. And I thank everyone for helping me through some difficult decisions.

For me, this forum is NOT about the gun. It's nearly worthless. It's been about getting help to preserve an object that I inherited from a grandfather who I loved dearly. He lived as an extremely poor farm worker who fed his family of 10 children with this gun during the depression. So it carries a lot of meaning to me. 

This forum has helped me to navigate some very difficult decisions. First, I went from an emotional high of thinking that I could hunt with the rifle to finding out that the barrel was ruined. Then, this forum helped me to understand that the barrel was totally inappropriate for the action, anyway. So this forum has helped me to make the trade-offs to decide what caliber to which I should reline. 

Since the rifle represents memories of my grandfather shooting deer to feed his family, it almost seems a sacrilege to make it into a 22. It's equally a sacrilege to return it into the 45-70 that he used--it would eventually blow up and hurt someone. I'm now faced with selling my extremely accurate 308 to offset the $450 needed to reline the 1885 so it can shoot accurately. I use the 308 during the modern gun season to feed my family. How ironic--now I will need to take deer with this 1885, also. 

When I drove 3800 miles two weeks ago to pick up this rifle, I never foresaw how this would end up. And I never foresaw how people who I've never met would write 6 pages to help me make these decisions. For me, that's what this forum represents.

« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2016 at 3:18am by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #82 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Nathan,

Is there a big rush to get the rifle back in shooting shape? Why not hang it on the wall and enjoy it for a while as it is. During this time, start earmarking and saving money for the project.  Save your 308 and hunt with it for now. It'll give you time to sort out in your mind what the best plan is for the rifle.

How handy are you with tools? It might be possible for you to do the reline yourself if your go slowly and acquire and use the right tools. People have done their own relines drilling the barrel with just a 1/4" or 3/8" drill motor. Be nice to have access to a lathe to face off the liner with the ends of the barrel and cut an even crown, but there's ways to do that without a lathe.

If the rifle were mine, I'd give serious consideration to making it a 32-20 or a 38 Special (probably the 32-20), though loaded very conservatively as you plan, the 38-55 might just be a sweet caliber for it. Personally, I'd shoot it more and worry less if it was chambered for a pistol cartridge at moderate pressure.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #83 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
I'm very good at woodwork but don't have the tools for very exact metal work. I've thought about drilling out the barrel for a liner and installing it myself. However I'm unsure how to drill out the chamber and provide the right headspace, and those require critical tolerances from what I've heard. 

I'm in no hurry. My grandson will deer hunt with me in the primitive weapon season this year for the first time. He will use my 62 cal flintlock with a 42" barrel, 1:66" twist, shooting a round ball. Ive honed the load for it to consistently shoot 1 minute groups at 100 yd. Next year I hope to include him in the modern weapon season, and our modern weapon will probably be the 1885 low wall. So I'm in the information gathering and trade off stage for a little while longer.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Flinter muzzleloader is MOA at a hundred yards?  Primitive sights? Hell, even with a modern scope (oh, my heart!), that'd be fantastic.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #85 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
I was very proud of my loads and skills until I met my smith last Wednesday. He showed me his muzzle loader with which he shoots 2" groups at 1000 yard using metal sights. I wouldn't believe him but he had about 2 dozen awards on the wall for his shooting. Those are the skills I want to develop. I'm still very much a novice.

However I'm intrigued by the above post to consider relining my barrel myself. Has anyone tried it for a 44-40 caliber?

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #86 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
[quote author=27283D212827672D283F203A490 link=1473359564/89#89 date=1474137939]I was very proud of my loads and skills until I met my smith last Wednesday. He showed me his muzzle loader with which he shoots 2" groups at 1000 yard using metal sights. I wouldn't believe him but he had about 2 dozen awards on the wall for his shooting. Those are the skills I want to develop. I'm still very much a novice.

Ah......What? I'd like to see that!

Terry Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #87 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Terry, maybe we ought to start easy- with the moa at a hundred before we try to swallow the 1/5 moa at a thou? 
I can only swallow just so much, ya know?

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #88 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Sep 17th, 2016 at 3:29pm:
Terry, maybe we ought to start easy- with the moa at a hundred before we try to swallow the 1/5 moa at a thou? 
I can only swallow just so much, ya know?

I Do... Smiley

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #89 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
If you are much into world muzzle loading records, check out Lee Shaver. He holds about 1/5 of the current records. Better yet, give him a call. He's very friendly. You will find him in Lamar mo.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #90 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
  I'd like to see these 2" 1000yd. groups.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #91 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Maybe the OP meant 2 MOA?

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

herrschutz
Participating Member

Reply #92 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Nathan,

I recently acquired a Browning low wall in 45 LC.   After some work, I found a .440-.441 paper patch bullet can be pushed to 1,350 fps with no signs of excessive case or primer pressure.   The 45 LC also provides options dwon to 200 gr cowboy loads for silhouette fun.   

I had Accurate cut a 375 and 410 gr mold for 30-1 alloy.   You should have excellent expansion with this soft alloy at subsonic to 1,350 fps loads.  I also have a more traditional 285 gr  GC design that I can push to 1,550 with Alliant 300-MP before showing signs of pressure.  I think the low wall provides great options.   

I was pleased that I was able to get trapdoor performance from the 45 LC in the low wall. (4198 under the paper patch bullets)

Just a thought.

Herrschuts

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #93 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 8:16am
Print Post  
That sounds very interesting. Have you calculated the pressures yet?  Since you're using 4198 I suspect that the pressure may be down in the safe range.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #94 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 9:10am
Print Post  
I am really intrigued with the option for 45LC. I hunt deer using muzzle loader in Arkansas. They allow 40 cal or above for muzzle loader season. 

I'm intrigued with the idea of machining a center fire breech plug for a rifle that uses 45LC, so I could use it for the muzzle loading season. However, I would also need to machine an alternate screw-in chamber liner that would allow me to convert it back to a cartridge gun to fire a 45LC cartridge for the modern gun season. Has anyone done something similar to this? My concern is that the chamber wall thickness may be too thin. However, if I use a high quality steel for the chamber liner, then maybe the chamber liner would strengthen the chamber? Would this work, and what type of steel would I need to use?

IP Logged

JSB30
Senior Forum Member

Reply #95 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
A Browning Low Wall far outclasses a Winchester Low Wall in strength. You could buy several rifles for what it would cost to do the work you are talking about, if you could find anyone crazy enough to do it. Sure glad this thread is back, I was getting bored.

IP Logged

vol717

Reply #96 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
I had a shot-out low wall in 25-20 SS bored out and rerifled then chambered in .32-20.    I will only use it on varmint sized critters but I like the way it shoots.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #97 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 1:15am
Print Post  
I just read all 6 painful pages of this thread.  Wow.  Nathan, you've been given some very good advice.  I'd listen to it, rather than going down the road of trying to convince yourself to do something that you shouldn't.  A smart man can reason with himself until he does some awfully stupid things.

There are really only two rifle cartridges for the low wall that are practical.  .25-20 and .32-20.  And a handful of pistol cartridges, of which the .357 magnum is just beyond the really acceptable limits of the rifle, and .38 special is about right.  

Stamping it with some disclaimer is just deluding yourself, that gives no safety to the user, it just makes you feel better that the person that blows it up was too stupid to let them reproduce themselves anyway.  

The low wall would make a great .22 rimfire, .25-20, .32-20, .38 special, or similar, low pressure, low velocity, small diameter round.  I'd shoot a deer with it myself, just like I would shoot one with a .22 short.  Just make sure you have perfect conditions and perfect shot placement.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint