Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall (Read 36312 times)
Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall
Reply #90 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
  I'd like to see these 2" 1000yd. groups.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #91 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Maybe the OP meant 2 MOA?

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

herrschutz
Participating Member

Reply #92 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Nathan,

I recently acquired a Browning low wall in 45 LC.   After some work, I found a .440-.441 paper patch bullet can be pushed to 1,350 fps with no signs of excessive case or primer pressure.   The 45 LC also provides options dwon to 200 gr cowboy loads for silhouette fun.   

I had Accurate cut a 375 and 410 gr mold for 30-1 alloy.   You should have excellent expansion with this soft alloy at subsonic to 1,350 fps loads.  I also have a more traditional 285 gr  GC design that I can push to 1,550 with Alliant 300-MP before showing signs of pressure.  I think the low wall provides great options.   

I was pleased that I was able to get trapdoor performance from the 45 LC in the low wall. (4198 under the paper patch bullets)

Just a thought.

Herrschuts

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #93 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 8:16am
Print Post  
That sounds very interesting. Have you calculated the pressures yet?  Since you're using 4198 I suspect that the pressure may be down in the safe range.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #94 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 9:10am
Print Post  
I am really intrigued with the option for 45LC. I hunt deer using muzzle loader in Arkansas. They allow 40 cal or above for muzzle loader season. 

I'm intrigued with the idea of machining a center fire breech plug for a rifle that uses 45LC, so I could use it for the muzzle loading season. However, I would also need to machine an alternate screw-in chamber liner that would allow me to convert it back to a cartridge gun to fire a 45LC cartridge for the modern gun season. Has anyone done something similar to this? My concern is that the chamber wall thickness may be too thin. However, if I use a high quality steel for the chamber liner, then maybe the chamber liner would strengthen the chamber? Would this work, and what type of steel would I need to use?

IP Logged

JSB30
Senior Forum Member

Reply #95 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
A Browning Low Wall far outclasses a Winchester Low Wall in strength. You could buy several rifles for what it would cost to do the work you are talking about, if you could find anyone crazy enough to do it. Sure glad this thread is back, I was getting bored.

IP Logged

vol717

Reply #96 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
I had a shot-out low wall in 25-20 SS bored out and rerifled then chambered in .32-20.    I will only use it on varmint sized critters but I like the way it shoots.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #97 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 1:15am
Print Post  
I just read all 6 painful pages of this thread.  Wow.  Nathan, you've been given some very good advice.  I'd listen to it, rather than going down the road of trying to convince yourself to do something that you shouldn't.  A smart man can reason with himself until he does some awfully stupid things.

There are really only two rifle cartridges for the low wall that are practical.  .25-20 and .32-20.  And a handful of pistol cartridges, of which the .357 magnum is just beyond the really acceptable limits of the rifle, and .38 special is about right.  

Stamping it with some disclaimer is just deluding yourself, that gives no safety to the user, it just makes you feel better that the person that blows it up was too stupid to let them reproduce themselves anyway.  

The low wall would make a great .22 rimfire, .25-20, .32-20, .38 special, or similar, low pressure, low velocity, small diameter round.  I'd shoot a deer with it myself, just like I would shoot one with a .22 short.  Just make sure you have perfect conditions and perfect shot placement.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 
Send TopicPrint