Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall (Read 36305 times)
Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Re: Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall
Reply #75 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
At this point, I'm seriously considering relining to a 38 or 44-40. The local bushnel outlet has some great scopes at rediculously good prices. But is there a reasonably cheep way to mount one?  All the mounts I see are $60 to $110. My budget will be already spent just to reline the rifle.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #76 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Yesterday I took the rifle to a well-known smith. He noted that it has a high wall block, but said that will not increase the strength of the action. He also noted that I've been giving the wrong serial number for the rifle. I thought that the first number was a 1 but he noted that it is a 7. The correct serial number is 76923. A couple days ago I found WCF on the top as well as the bottom of the barrel, and a 2 in both locations. 
I talked to the smith about relining it to a 38-55 as a black powder only rifle. I shoot muzzle loading black powder rifles and love them. However, I'm also considering relining it to the original caliber if I can make sure it is the original one.
The smith was skeptical about the barrel being original to the rifle. A shallow sighting notch has been filed in the top of the receiver to make it easier to see the rear sight, but the existing barrel is so thick that the breach is higher than the sighting notch. He surmises that the rifle may have originally come with a thinner barrel. So the exisiing barrel is a Winchester barrel marked WCF, but it may not be original to the rifle.

IP Logged

Lucky Shot

Reply #77 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Lots of ideas here but what I'd do with it is build a nice .22 RF and forget using it as a deer rifle, use it to hunt small game.

Al

Al
AIM  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Well, that serial isn't gonna help the strength any- just a few years younger than you figger'd. The groove on the top of the frame is there to aid in seeing the front sight with small barrels. If the barrel rises a tiny bit above that groove it's no always a replacement barrel. The factory did it that way sometimes when they were just making up things that'd fit in a hurry. Lots of factories still do stuff like that, believe me.
However, that same groove didn't do a thing to add strenth either, was used mostly on .22s, but like I said above- sometimes they were in a hurry and used what they had on hand. Just line or barrel it in a suitable (weak) round with suitable extractor- and get it over with!

IP Logged

Ziggy

Reply #79 - Sep 16th, 2016 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Quit trying to kill yourself or someone else and do what Caldflyer suggest.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #80 - Sep 16th, 2016 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
  Could be. 6 pages about a derelict low wall.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #81 - Sep 16th, 2016 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
I have learned a lot and been helped a lot by this forum but I make my decisions slowly and deliberately after I know all the options and costs. I'm unsure when I'll plunk down the $ but I still need to ponder the costs versus my desires. And I thank everyone for helping me through some difficult decisions.

For me, this forum is NOT about the gun. It's nearly worthless. It's been about getting help to preserve an object that I inherited from a grandfather who I loved dearly. He lived as an extremely poor farm worker who fed his family of 10 children with this gun during the depression. So it carries a lot of meaning to me. 

This forum has helped me to navigate some very difficult decisions. First, I went from an emotional high of thinking that I could hunt with the rifle to finding out that the barrel was ruined. Then, this forum helped me to understand that the barrel was totally inappropriate for the action, anyway. So this forum has helped me to make the trade-offs to decide what caliber to which I should reline. 

Since the rifle represents memories of my grandfather shooting deer to feed his family, it almost seems a sacrilege to make it into a 22. It's equally a sacrilege to return it into the 45-70 that he used--it would eventually blow up and hurt someone. I'm now faced with selling my extremely accurate 308 to offset the $450 needed to reline the 1885 so it can shoot accurately. I use the 308 during the modern gun season to feed my family. How ironic--now I will need to take deer with this 1885, also. 

When I drove 3800 miles two weeks ago to pick up this rifle, I never foresaw how this would end up. And I never foresaw how people who I've never met would write 6 pages to help me make these decisions. For me, that's what this forum represents.

« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2016 at 3:18am by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #82 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Nathan,

Is there a big rush to get the rifle back in shooting shape? Why not hang it on the wall and enjoy it for a while as it is. During this time, start earmarking and saving money for the project.  Save your 308 and hunt with it for now. It'll give you time to sort out in your mind what the best plan is for the rifle.

How handy are you with tools? It might be possible for you to do the reline yourself if your go slowly and acquire and use the right tools. People have done their own relines drilling the barrel with just a 1/4" or 3/8" drill motor. Be nice to have access to a lathe to face off the liner with the ends of the barrel and cut an even crown, but there's ways to do that without a lathe.

If the rifle were mine, I'd give serious consideration to making it a 32-20 or a 38 Special (probably the 32-20), though loaded very conservatively as you plan, the 38-55 might just be a sweet caliber for it. Personally, I'd shoot it more and worry less if it was chambered for a pistol cartridge at moderate pressure.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #83 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
I'm very good at woodwork but don't have the tools for very exact metal work. I've thought about drilling out the barrel for a liner and installing it myself. However I'm unsure how to drill out the chamber and provide the right headspace, and those require critical tolerances from what I've heard. 

I'm in no hurry. My grandson will deer hunt with me in the primitive weapon season this year for the first time. He will use my 62 cal flintlock with a 42" barrel, 1:66" twist, shooting a round ball. Ive honed the load for it to consistently shoot 1 minute groups at 100 yd. Next year I hope to include him in the modern weapon season, and our modern weapon will probably be the 1885 low wall. So I'm in the information gathering and trade off stage for a little while longer.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Flinter muzzleloader is MOA at a hundred yards?  Primitive sights? Hell, even with a modern scope (oh, my heart!), that'd be fantastic.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #85 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
I was very proud of my loads and skills until I met my smith last Wednesday. He showed me his muzzle loader with which he shoots 2" groups at 1000 yard using metal sights. I wouldn't believe him but he had about 2 dozen awards on the wall for his shooting. Those are the skills I want to develop. I'm still very much a novice.

However I'm intrigued by the above post to consider relining my barrel myself. Has anyone tried it for a 44-40 caliber?

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #86 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
[quote author=27283D212827672D283F203A490 link=1473359564/89#89 date=1474137939]I was very proud of my loads and skills until I met my smith last Wednesday. He showed me his muzzle loader with which he shoots 2" groups at 1000 yard using metal sights. I wouldn't believe him but he had about 2 dozen awards on the wall for his shooting. Those are the skills I want to develop. I'm still very much a novice.

Ah......What? I'd like to see that!

Terry Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #87 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Terry, maybe we ought to start easy- with the moa at a hundred before we try to swallow the 1/5 moa at a thou? 
I can only swallow just so much, ya know?

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #88 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Sep 17th, 2016 at 3:29pm:
Terry, maybe we ought to start easy- with the moa at a hundred before we try to swallow the 1/5 moa at a thou? 
I can only swallow just so much, ya know?

I Do... Smiley

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #89 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
If you are much into world muzzle loading records, check out Lee Shaver. He holds about 1/5 of the current records. Better yet, give him a call. He's very friendly. You will find him in Lamar mo.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Send TopicPrint