Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall (Read 36309 times)
Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Re: Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall
Reply #45 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Chuck
These are great leads--just what I'm looking for. Thanks.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
I need to qualify my above statements, regarding the use of the loads that I have used. The 1400 fps, 208 gr loads, are breech seated loads! By that, I would reduce fixed loads by 100 fps, for simalar pressure.

Sorry, but I shoot very little fixed ammo, as is the case with most of the competive shooters on this site.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #47 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks Frank,

You caught some important things on the table that I needed to correct. I've updated it, and like it a little more. 

I'm now leaning a little toward re-lining for a 38-55 marked "for black powder only." However, I also notice in the table that the performance of the 44-40 and 38-40 is quite close to that of the black powder version of the 38-55, and I wouldn't have to do my own hand loading or clean it between every shot. So that 44-40 is looking quite tempting. I'll need to think on this for a while and talk to the smith.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:55pm by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Methinks we've all been beating our heads against a wall.
Just think of the safety factor in stamping black powder only on her- that'll work for sure. Can't get safer than that!

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #49 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
As someone said 2000 years ago, I'm almost persuaded.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Sort of like a research scientist that finds limited data to support the conclusion they want to reach and ignores all the other data.
That is why there is peer review.
Chuck

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #51 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 10:31am
Print Post  
The saga of my grandfather's 1885 LW, built in late 1888 continues:

It was re-barreled to a 45-70 Winchester barrel, just before my grandfather bought it, sometime in the late 1920's. So, it MAY have a higher quality steel in the barrel than the original barrel. I've looked and cannot find any mark indicating the quality or type of steel for the barrel, but I don't know what to look for. Is there any mark that was commonly used that could trace this barrel to indicate the quality of steel? If it's a good quality steel, I assume that I could consider getting it relined to a smaller caliber.

I realize that the pressure against the block is still a major consideration, but possibly the barrel strength is now less of a consideration, if there is some way to verify the type of steel in the barrel.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2016 at 11:07am by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

old7groove

Reply #52 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 10:50am
Print Post  
I f I'm not mistaken later Winchester nickel steel barrels were stamped with a circled PW on the top of the barrel just ahead of the receiver ring.
7~

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #53 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
It looks like it's marked VP in a circle just behind the notch for the sight.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
It was likely re-barreled or re-bored to make a .410 shotgun out of it.
45-70 will chamber and fire a short .410 shell with a little help. Hard on the extractor.
Fairly common with Trapdoor's and other single shot actions. Much more useful around the farm.
Chuck

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Chuckster wrote on Sep 13th, 2016 at 4:06pm:
It was likely re-barreled or re-bored to make a .410 shotgun out of it.
45-70 will chamber and fire a short .410 shell with a little help. Hard on the extractor.
Fairly common with Trapdoor's and other single shot actions. Much more useful around the farm.
Chuck

I ran across a Stevens 044 1/2 that someone had bored out the original 25-25 barrel to try to convert the rifle to .410, and fortunately had stopped there.
Was able to buy it at a really nice low price, and turn it back into a nice CF rifle once again.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #56 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
That VP is winchesters standard proof mark.  All nickel steel barrels are marked and they are all round.  Your barrel is not a nickel steel barrel.  This doesn't matter because the limiting factor in the low wall is not the barrel but the breech block support. 

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #57 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
If I find another barrel on-line, is there any way for me to know if the barrel threads will match the receiver? As I understand it, my receiver is probably a small threaded variety but Winchester came out with larger threaded barrels in later years. Does that thread change occur in only selected calibers or in all calibers?

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #58 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
There are two shank sizes.  Most low walls were small shank and most high walls were large shank.  Yours in an early style low wall and I can almost guarantee that it has a small shank.  You can check under the barrel just in front of the forearm for a number one or two.  Any low wall barrel you find should fit and time up pretty well but with the usual caveats of headspace, extractor cuts, etc...  

There is one exception to that.  Winder muskets were all large shank because they are high walls in every way except the lowered sides and milled breech block.  Barrels from those low walls will not fit your rifle.  They are round, 28 inches long, have a heavy taper, and are usually chambered in 22 short or 22 lr.  They are all over the web and they are no use to you.  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Sep 13th, 2016 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Not later years- both small and large coexisted. Bigger size to accommodate larger rounds. Like with the lower walls, the small shank is suited to small rounds. Never saw an original small shank in either frame that was for a big case.
If the 'found' barrel is a take off from a small shank low wall the chances of it fitting are fair. Most interchange pretty well, not all. Don't forget that it will need an extractor to match.
And, don't go thinking you'll get a .38-55 or such in a small shank takeoff barrel. Ain't likely at all.  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Send TopicPrint