Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall (Read 36306 times)
calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall
Reply #15 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Yes, the +P .38 loads would be fine. Even with the fat pin, if yours does have that. Most do. 
I don't quite understand your incessant desire to "go for a little more" with every caliber though. It isn't gonna make a sudden deer rifle out of it, and would likely just be somewhat less accurate. Try, instead slower heavy bullets like some have been suggesting. You probably will like it so much that the boy won't get it from you.... while yer alive! Wink

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I know that you are right about bullet velocity being somewhat less important than accuracy and fun. My favorite rifle is a 62 cal flintlock--definitely slower than any other rifle I know, but I shoot it every chance I get because it is fun. So i know you are right. 

But I also want to avoid making a big mistake that could hurt myself or others. Some people have told me to go ahead and rebarrel to a 45-70 or 38-55. Without the input from this forum, I would have proceeded down that path. I'm very thankful for the input above that keeps me on a safer path. 

Your honest question has helped me to better understand my issue with this gun. Upon inheriting it, I expected to use it for deer hunting just like my grandfather used it. But last Tuesday I found that the barrel was ruined. I reluctantly decided to replace it but today found that the barrel is unsafe for the action even if it were in good condition. So now I'm faced with spending $300-$400 to fix a rifle that I can't use for deer hunting or varmint hunting. It's taking a while to adjust my expectations to this reality. I'm still unsure if it's worth $300+ to have a rifle that shoots 38's. But this seems like the best option if I choose to use the rifle. The real problem isn't the rifle but my expectations. I didn't expect to have to pay $300+ for a fairly beat up rifle that shoots 38's. You've posed an honest question that I need to Consider before making any more steps. THAT is also one of the benefits of a forum like this. 
Please don't take offense at my rantings. I think your insights are right on.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2016 at 5:53pm by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
It has a large firing pin, if that's what you mean.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
Joe, if it was a piece manufactured in 1889, wouldn't it be a small-thread, flat side? I don't recall if any were different. 
Some high walls had small threads, but the other way on low wall, until the later Winder version?

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #19 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
I guess that I don't understand the question.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
In my youth. well I wasn't that young but it was a long time ago, I had a low wall in 22 K-Hornet. It was a lot of fun and I never pierced a primer. Someone offered a barrel in 22 Hornet. If the barrel shank size (the part that screws into the action) is correct and the price is less than a reline or new barrel, that might be a way to go.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Understanding the question--- Well, the Winchester single shots came with two different barrel shank threads. The predominant size for the low wall is the small size- it would limit the size of case the barrel would be able to take without thinning the wall of the barrel to a dangerous level. Certainly too thin for a high  power round. These were even a little smaller in external dimensions than the high walls, too. 
Most, but not all high walls had a larger thread and could take the biggies. Toward the end of production a lot of low wall rifles were made  using the large external dimensions and big barrel thread. Most folks even think these are just highwalls with the sides cut down and a low wall block. As far as I know these last ones were all .22s.
Sounds like you need to get in touch with a good, repeat, good smith to advise you about what you have. But it can be made good again if you stay clear of the ones that think swapping parts back and forth on black plastic crap is gunsmithing.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #22 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
I'm unsure if this photo will help answer the question, but it looks pretty thin at face value. But remember that this is a 45-70 chamber.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2016 at 7:21pm by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

JCHannum
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
There is no shame attached to owning a nice low wall in 22LR, and they make fine shooters. Other than 38 Special or 357 Magnum, you will be almost forced to reload as most of the other ammunition mentioned is in short supply and/or expensive.

$300.00 is not much to invest in a rifle that will be used for a couple of more generations and kept in the family. It might as be in a caliber that will be continue to be available for that length of time.

Jim H.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #24 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
There's a highly recommended smith about 1-1/2 hours from me who can re-barrel or reline the existing barrel. I've made an appointment to take the rifle to him next Wednesday. I'll avoid making any decisions until I get his input.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I think that smith is a good idea. Whatever you decide to make it up into, good luck. Let us hear how it turns out. With the large pin,  I'd stick with a mild, low pressure round. That, the Hornet is not. With a smaller pin (more money to change), the Hornet is a spiffy choice. I gave my oldest g'daughter an old Sako in that chambering that she learned to reload on. Dang, I miss that gun.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #26 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
One more question before taking it to the smith:

If I ask the smith to re-bore the receiver for a large threaded barrel, would I have a few additional calibers that I could choose from?

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
not really

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #28 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 9:33am
Print Post  
I just finished reading a series of postings on the marlin owners forum relating to the pressures produced by a black powder 38-55 cartridge. The are saying that the pressures are about 17,000 psi max. This sounds entirely within the limit for my LW. Even a 38 special produces more than that. I would just need to get the barrel stamped "for black powder only." I use BP in my flintlock so I do not mind loading it or getting the barrel stamped for it. 

Is this a possibility for me?

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #29 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 9:53am
Print Post  
If you want that Low-Wall block sticking out of the middle of your forehead then by all means chamber it for 38-55. Either you or some later owner is going to blow it apart. 
If you want a nice that’s fun to shoot chamber it in 32-20. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint