Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall (Read 36313 times)
Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall
Sep 8th, 2016 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Last week, I inherited my grandfather's 1889 vintage 1885 low wall that appears to use a 45-70. I say "appears" because my uncle confessed that about 10 years ago he sanded the rifling with a rotary sanding drum on a dentist drill--so no rifling remains. However, a 45-70 cartridge seems to fit the chamber perfectly. The rifle was born as a 32 WCF but the original barrel had been replaced.

I love to hunt and want to restore the rifle to hunt deer with it. And when I die, I'd like to will it to my grandson so he will have the rifle that his great-great grandfather used. He also loves rifles as much as me. This means that I need to re-barrel the rifle. Here in Missouri I can expect a 100 yard shot on average, and sometimes up to 150 yards. Who knows where my grandson will settle as an adult, so I'd like to restore the gun to something that shoots fairly well out to about 150 yards. 

Since the chamber pressure for a 45-70 is somewhere around 32,000 CIP, I assumed that a 45-70 is too hot for a low wall  receiver. Most of the recommendations I've read about a low wall indicate that I should re-barrel to a caliber that keeps the pressures below 28,000, and some even say below 24,000. However, a local gunsmith notes that the 45-70 cartridge is straight-shanked and therefore exerts a lot of the pressure on the chamber walls instead of pushing back against the falling block. He warned me about using any high pressure cartridge that tapers, saying that the block may not last over the years if a high pressure cartridge pushes primarily against the block. He said that I could use black powder if I'm still concerned about the pressure.

A second option is to re-barrel for a 45-60 (28,000 CIP), or maybe even a 40-82 (24,000 CIP) This would mean hand-loading all rounds. I don't mind that, but it could be a nuisance for my grandson when the time comes for him to inherit it. I think the 40-82 may use a tapered cartridge, so maybe the 45-60 would be easier on the receiver than the 45-70 or the 40-82 over the long haul?

A third option is to mark the barrel for black powder only. I'm an avid flintlock shooter so my grandson will inherit my other black powder guns anyway. He loves my flintlock, so I expect that he'll be OK with using a black powder rifle. 

This will certainly end up as the most expensive "gift" that I've ever received--expensive FOR me, that is. So I appreciate your insights and guidance.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
The case heads of the 40 - 45 cal's are to large for a LW. They create to much breech block thrust, whether staight or tapered case.

The largest case head that should be used is the 357 mag. I have a LW chambered in 357 Max but, the factory rounds create to much pressure for a LW BB. I load mine at Lead PB velocitys of about 1400+ fps with a 200 gr bullet. That's plenty of power for deer at 150 yds. People on this forum will tell you that I overload my LW with that load but, it has proved safe for me.

The only thing about chambering a LW in that cartridge, is if someone uses factory ammo. I get around that by marking it 38 Wesson XL, you can add black powder only.

Another good cartridge is the 25/20SS, using 120 gr bullet, with a 10 twist. I think it would provide the power and accuracy for 150 yard kills at 150, too, using 1500 fps loads.

If your interested in a 22 Hornet for it, I have a barrel in that cal.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Your grandfather/uncle must have been thinking of using it for .45-70 shot cartridges.  I've seen another instance of a .45-70 smoothbore barrel on a weak action.  The Government had shot cartridges made for troops to forage for food with in  the days of the Trapdoor.   

I'm in total agreement with Frank.   Smaller cartridges, even at BP pressure.   Like the BP .357 Max idea.   

There's a caution about Max reamers - SAAMI reamers don't cut a very good chamber in a rifle.  Read Mike Bellm's various screeds on the subject.  I had a proper reamer made for me by Dave Manson.  Bellm does chambering for T/C Contenders with a similar one.   

Max brass has been scarce, but just today I got an email from Bellm in which he mentions that he has a new source opening up.

<div class=

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 12:00am
Print Post  
.357 Magnum might be a little less than you were hoping for in a cartridge, but ammo will be available on store shelves for a long time to come and your son might not be a dedicated handloader. .357 Mag is a perfect cartridge for a low wall, which never really was a 150 yard deer rifle by today's standards.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Well, I suspected all along that hoping for a 150 yard deer gun from a LW was probably expecting too much. However, I have also wondered about getting it re-barreled for a 38-55 marked for black powder only?

Regardless, I am also intrigued with the idea of re-barreling it for a 357 mag. I guess that I could re-barrel it or get the existing barrel relined. The existing octagon barrel is fairly beat up, but so is the rest of the rifle. As a 357, should I get a new barrel or get the existing one relined? No matter what, the collector value is 0.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Since the rifle has 0 collector's value, I want to make it either useful for game, or useful for just having fun. So if I can't make it into a good deer gun, then I might consider making it into a good long-range varmint gun. What long-range caliber would you suggest that is appropriate for a LW varmint rifle?

Since it has no collector's value, I would even consider a modern round such as a 223, 243, or 6mmBR.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2016 at 8:57am by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 10:18am
Print Post  
None of the modern high pressure varmint rounds would be suitable for a LW action. They're just too much for that great old action.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Biggest caliber factory offered  in a Low Wall was .44-40, according to the catalogs.  Since your barrel is already reamed out, a TJ liner might slide right in there, needing only solder or epoxy, and chambering.

I'm pretty happy with my reline job, but, unfortunately, it's about a 75-100 yd deer cartridge for a,good hunter and tracker.  Olde Tyme Hunters used to fire the cartridge at much greater distances, but as Olde Tyme Writers delicately put it, "It was kind of hard on the game."

Most Low Walls have the small barrel shank, so there is not a lot of "meat" there for a large, high-intensity caliber.  .218 Bee or 2R Lovell would be about the max I would want to try.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 10:58am
Print Post  
What people are trying to say is: An original Low-Wall just won't take high pressure cartridges or even larger cartridges at lower pressures.
It will crack the receiver at the right rear corner of the breech block opening.
Just not a long range action. About the best varmint cartridge for it would be a .25-20.
Chuck

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 11:13am
Print Post  
OK. That's the kind of input that I really really appreciate. I may want a deer rifle or a varmint gun out of it, but if I'm going to give it to my grandson, then I definitely do not want it to blow up in his face. And my wife might not appreciate me letting it blow up in my face, either.  Smiley

A 223 seems like a low recoil round to me. Is it still to much for this action?

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 12:59pm
Print Post  

May I suggest the good ol' .38 Spl. ? It'd be fun for the youngster, and cheap to shoot as well. Not likely a magnum round will ever enter it to threaten his well being. I had one in .32-20 and it was pleasant to shoot as well, but not as cheap to feed as the .38 would be.
When the time comes, get him a deer rifle- till then just have a good time with a neat ol' shooter he can affford to shoot a lot.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Ditto Called Flyer.
38 Spl would be the best, cheapest to shoot either factory or reloads and not overtax the low wall strength.
with a proper job cone to line the barrel, this ctg will be Very accurate
Great Fun.
My similar Martini Cadet, rebored 50 + yrs ago to 357mag
Is a great,accurate fun gun to "just shoot". (Martini is much stronger than the early low wall, so the mag ctg is ok, tho I do NOT
ever load full magnum strength loads. Just not needed).
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Oh, get a 14 twist liner if possible, so the 38 can if desired be loaded with up to 200 gr rifle bullets. I like the 200 gr Lyman cast bullet #358315. Shoots very well in my 13 twist.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Have you tried the Ideal/Lyman #35875 200 grain plain base bullet?
Lyman had loading data for it in both the 38 Special and the 357 Mag.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
One of the above posts mentions an option for barreling in a 22 Hornet. That interests me. However, in another post about Low Walls, I found that John Taylor mentions, "Most have too big a firing pin to be safe with the hornet which is rated at 43,000. The hornet is good for blowing holes in the primer even in a strong action." Depending where that primer and firing pin go, I wonder if it might ruin my day. 

If I used only factory loaded 22 Hornets, would that still be a problem, or is this primarily a problem with hand loaded 22 Hornets? I think I know the answer, but as a newbie I have to ask even the dumb questions.

And if I opt to re-barrel to a 38 special, would a 38+P be OK? These may seem like dumb questions, but I need to know what I'm doing.

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2016 at 3:40pm by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint