Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall (Read 36311 times)
chawk

Re: Need advice to re-barrel an 1885 low wall
Reply #30 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Winchester only chambered Low Walls in 32-20 and 44-40.  Anything higher power got put into a high wall.  That means that Winchester thought it was unsafe to put a 32-40 on a low wall, let alone a 38-55, BP or not.  If Winchester thought it was unsafe 130 years ago you shouldn't do it today.

The low wall was made because it is a fumbly process to load a high wall with a small cartridge.  If you cut down the walls you can load a small cartridge much more easily.  You give up lots of strength but you don't need strength to shoot those small cartridges anyway.   

I have seen a few 32-40 Low Walls and even a 38-55 Low Wall (non-original of course).  They may work for a while but I am not standing next to a guy shooting one.   

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Click on url below, this is a good cliber for your rebarrel....

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Sep 11th, 2016 at 9:53am:
If you want that Low-Wall block sticking out of the middle of your forehead then by all means chamber it for 38-55. Either you or some later owner is going to blow it apart. 
If you want a nice that’s fun to shoot chamber it in 32-20. 

40 Rod

One of the horrible things about the .38-55 is that it will chamber and fire the .375 Winchester, which is a high pressure round loaded for their beefed-up Big Bore levergun.  SAAMI max pressure 55,000 psi.  Commercial loads said to be about 50,000 psi.   Just one of those will probably scatter a Low Wall from here to breakfast.  

An industrial safety variant of Murphy's Law that I've had to live by through years of designing automation is:  "If it can happen, it will happen."  No matter how the barrel is marked.  

I stated earlier that I kinda liked the idea of .357 Maximum, using only black powder.  But I'm remembering that there was hot loaded commercial Max ammo in the past, and with the resurgence of the round for use in rifles, I'm seeing quoted velocities that put the pressure up in the 50,000 range from the custom loaders.  So I retract my suggestion, and would go for .357 Magnum instead.   
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2016 at 12:34pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #33 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
I shoot a 62 cal black powder flintlock and we have the same problem--people try to put modern powder in them or mix modern powder with BP in them. It's abusive to their head and abusive to the rifle. I sometimes have more sympathy for the rifle because it has no choice about what happens. 

As long as the rifle is properly marked I don't have much sympathy for those who choose to abuse it. Maybe I should be more sympathetic. Some of these choices are in the grey area for me.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Nathan,
Going to give a Cartridge Thrust 101 lecture. Smiley
Cartridge thrust is the force of the cartridge base on the breechblock.
It is determined by the cartridge pressure multiplied times the area of the cartridge base.
Cartridge thrust for the same pressure increases by the square of the diameter of the cartridge base.

The original Low-Wall is a weaker design because the receiver reaction shoulders are significantly below the center of cartridge thrust.
This causes the breech block to work like a pry bar and increases the stress on the receiver shoulders. Have you crushed wood or metal with a pry bar?
Lack of support on the lower ejector side adds to this.
The Low-Wall is a fine action for smaller base diameter, low to medium pressure cartridges, but just not designed for higher performance cartridges.
The same design with the receiver reaction shoulders above the center of cartridge thrust (High-Wall) will handle most any reasonable cartridge
Chuck

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
We must also remember that us red-blooded american men, when we set our minds to it, we can ( and will ) blow-up any rifle that has been made including Hi-Walls.  Ledball

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
I personally prefer to keep my red blood on the inside of my skin, and have my mind directed to keeping it that way.
     Smiley

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
I see three rifles in your future. 1; a suitable modern deer rifle. 2;that damn varmint rifle you covet. 3; a blown up low wall if you don't give up making it into one of the first two.
Please don't make it up into something  it was never intended to be. Those folks at  Winchester knew why they offered both high and low versions of their wonderful single shot. 
Lovely rifles Joe. Be a lot nicer if they were high walls Cool

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #38 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
I decided to compare the pressure on the block of a 38 special (22000 psi) to the block pressure of a 38-55 using black powder (17000 psi). I'm unsure of the actual butt area of a 38 special cartridge or a 38-55 cartridge, but my calculations are based on the 38 special being .357 while the 38-55 is .380.  Although the butt of the 38-55 cartridge certainly has more area than 38 special, I was surprised to see that the 38 special pressure on the block is about 10% higher than the 38-55 black powder cartridge (Pi X (.5 X radius squared) X psi).

So, if my numbers are right, it SEEMS that a 38-55 black powder cartridge will not overpower the receiver or block any more than a 38 special.  

However, I agree that we do have some responsibility to protect those who might misuse a black-powder labeled 38-55. I'm unsure how much responsibility to assume. I know that I'd probably feel horrible if my grandson put a modern round in my low wall and hurt himself. At the least I assume responsibility to properly label it, and maybe even to warn him severely if I leave it to him in my will. It's hard for me to assume responsibility for those who fail to read the "black powder only" warning. When I leave him my 62 cal black powder flintlock, I run the same risk that he could try to load a mixture of BP and modern gun powder in it. Old guns commonly used BP, and so do some modern guns labeled with a warning against using anything else.

Do I need to warn those who buy a 150 mph motorcycle that those speeds can kill them? Do I need to warn a parent to lock up their handguns? Are gun manufacturers responsible for those who misuse assault style rifles? I think our political parties are presently fighting over issues like these. 

At this point, however, I'm still looking at all the possibilities before spending $. So far, the three options seem to be 1) use a low pressure round, similar to a 38 special or smaller, 2) re-barrel for a 22 hornet, 3) re-barrel for a black powder only round, 38-55 or smaller. Of those three possibilities, I'm still more intrigued with the possibility of turning this rifle into a 22 hornet varmint rifle. But from what some are saying, I may need to ask the smith to replace the large firing pin with the small one. Even if I have him replace the large for a small firing pin, is the 22 hornet still a reasonable option?

I know it seems like I'm taking you guys all around on these issues, but I really really do appreciate your input.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #39 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
I love the insights of calledflyer.  YES, YES.  You are right on! I own a 30-06 and 308 that I sometimes use during modern gun season, but my favorite is a 62 cal black powder flintlock with 42" barrel. There's nothing like a single shot for true fun.

IP Logged

JSB30
Senior Forum Member

Reply #40 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Sell it for the action and get a modern bolt action. It will cost you far less. A low wall IS NOT suitable for a 38-55 or anything larger than a older pistol round. It is not suitable for a 22 Hornet either. Not suitable for any rifle round. Modern 38 Special would be pushing it limits and I would not trust it. In my opinion.  Take it for what it is worth.

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #41 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
I appreciate everyone's input and recommendations. Since I am a retired scientist from a research lab, I tend to especially relish the science that makes things work, and not work. Indeed, my wife notes that I seem to enjoy finding out why something cannot work even more than finding out why it can work.

From what I've been reading, it looks like the LW should handle rounds below 24,000 psi fairly well, and increasingly less well as pressures get higher. The 38 special commonly exerts around 22,000 psi, and a host of other rounds come in at lower psi, including quite a few black powder cartridges. 

My first motive is to end up with a rifle that is safe, although even the word "safe" is a subjective word. In this case, 24,000 psi seems to form one of the boundaries for "safe." Is this 24,000 psi boundary really a good boundary? Intuitively, I believe there must be some other boundaries, too. And I need help establishing them. For instance, some of the above posts point out the danger of getting the chamber wall too thin, but how thin? Is there a formula for that boundary? Other posts above point out the danger of a high powered round blowing out the firing pin (e.g., in a 22 hornet). But what is the formula for that boundary? A smith told me that a straight-shanked bullet will exert most of it's pressure against the chamber sidewall and that sidewall pressure will counteract some of the pressure against the falling block. Is there a formula for how that affects the chamber wall thickness and the pressure against the falling block? Another forum mentioned that a 38-55 in black powder produces about 17,000 psi. Is that true? What are the actual psi readings for various black powder rounds? And I'm sure there are other boundaries, too. 

Please keep your insights coming. Even when they don't include the science about how things work or don't, you can see from some of the above comments that they have led me to better understand my own motives and issues with this rifle. Sometimes, those motives and hidden issues are even more important than the science and formulas.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2016 at 4:58am by Nathan Davis »  

IP Logged

Nathan Davis
Participating Member

Reply #42 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 10:03am
Print Post  
I just made a table of comparisons for different calibers to compare the thrust on the 1885 block (see attachment 1 for pdf format). The ones marked *** indicate the common calibers marketed for the 1885 LW.

I was surprised to see that the 32-20, 38-40, and 44-40 all show slightly higher thrust values than the 38 special. The thrust for 38+P seems almost perfectly matched to the 24,000 psi design limit that some people recommend. 

For me, the most obvious problem shown by this table is that the 22 Hornet seems somewhat overpowered (11% higher) in comparison to the design limit. 

I suspect that a host of other factors might be just as important as the thrust load. But this table has helped me to consider ruling out the 22 Hornet for a LW.

In the table, BP indicates black powder cartridge. So the 45-70 is obviously way too powerful even in a black powder cartridge.

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:33pm by Nathan Davis »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 127 KB | 4 Downloads )

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Nathan,
In your calulations, you've mixed outside and inside head diameters and standard and HV pressure loadings also, the 25/20SS has a case head of .318. It's best to use the outside diameter of the case head for calulations, just because the inside diameters will vary and you'll get the same realtionship that way.

You'll find that the people that recomend the 32/20 are thinking 14/16K pressures.

While some people only think the LW is only good for 22RF cartridges, others, including Frank DeHaas, think it's strong enough for the 357 Mag.

Some on this sight have seen LW's with cracked frames but, don't know the history behind them. I think that the people to lesson to are the ones that actually use the LW and can tell you how it's use has effected it's longevity.

In my case, I have run loads in the Max case that exceed 2100 fps, with a 146 gr GC bullet, as well as 1900 fps, with a 208 gr GC bullet.  I DO NOT RECOMEND those loads!  But, I will recomend loads that send a 208 gr bullet @ 1400+ fps and that should be in the <30,000 pressure area or ~3300 pounds of thrust. My LW shows no ill effects or wear in that application. Mine was and is still in excellent condition, with no signs of wear or looseness.

The thing to watch for, with a LW, is case head stretching, when that happens, you exceeded it's ability to totally hold the pressure. If that happens, back your load off! I personally think the most dangerous cartridges for the LW, are the 38 & 44/40, because of the case head size, the HV loadings and the ease of double charging them.

We've had many lively discussions over the LW on this forum but, it is not the weakest action out there and with small case heads, it will do the job.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Nathan,
Because you are a research scientist, Google ANSI/SAAMI Z299.3 and ANSI/SAAMI Z299.4 for manufacturer's standards for pistol and rifle cartridges.
Anything else is a guess and even they disagree on copper units of pressure vs. transducer data.
For action strength, pressure alone has very little meaning unless the cartridge diameter is specified.
The thin wall brass tube cartridge has very little effect on cartridge thrust.

For barrel shank information, Google "thick wall cylinders" and find formulas to calculate stress.
Use the thread root radius or the smallest radius on the shank and the largest radius of the cartridge chamber.
Chuck 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Send TopicPrint