Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44-1/2 Set Trigger Fly Issues (Read 3530 times)
Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Stevens 44-1/2 Set Trigger Fly Issues
Aug 27th, 2023 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Decided to get a couple of troublesome Stevens 44-1/2s out of the safe and go "Waltzing Matilda" with them.  Again.

The first is a 47-44-1/2 with set triggers.  It was found with no fly.  I used a homemade fly for years, but occasionally, it would override the halfcock when the lever was cycled, and had to be halfcocked by hand.  No problems otherwise, but I wanted it to work right.

So I got several flies from CPA.  They duly arrived and I've had nothing but trouble since.

I had made a closer fitting hammer screw, so had to drill the hole in the new fly out to fit, but that modification and a little polishing and the thing swiveled on the hammer screw (I guess) like it was supposed to.  But when I assembled the action it would not cock.  It acted like there was no full-cock notch on the hammer.  The sear would go into halfcock with no trouble.

I ordered new springs for the set triggers from CPA and replaced the ones on the gun.  No help.  So back into the safe it went and I went on to other things.

There other is a standard model, with a buggered hammer notch.  I've been gradually stoning it back to a decent pull; no particular issues there.  However, it (like the 47) came without the fly.

I'd recently finished a reline job on this one and did a little more work on the hammer notch.  I figured I might as well put one of the flies on that one, too, as all the models seemed to have them, whatever the trigger type.

So I put another CPA fly (unmodified) on that hammer and it refused to cock; acted like it has no full-cock notch.

I got the other gun out of the safe again and a third (standard) model with a still-extant fly (which cocks, halfcocks and fires fine).  Comparing flies, the replacements seemed a little generous with material, so I did some judicious grinding and filing on the edges of the new ones to better match the outline of the old one.

Still no joy.  Both guns still refuse to cock, although if the hammer on the 47 is back when I tighten the hammer screw, it holds the cock notch fine.  Once it's down, it doesn't catch again.

So now, the 44-1/2 (without a fly) goes to the range tomorrow to see if the trigger pull has been improved and the 47 is back in the safe.

Can anybody tell me how these things are supposed to work?  It looks like the sear is supposed to push the fly up out of the way of the full-cock notch and then ride over it to miss the half-cock notch.  I'm afraid to take any more off the surfaces.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2023 at 3:44pm by Bent_Ramrod »  

IP Logged

curdog

Re: Flies In The Ointment
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2023 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Without looking at them, it sounds to me like the flys are too long.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2023 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
This should be what the fly looks like installed and fitted properly.  Pictures are from an original 44 1/2.

As has been said many time here…make sure the front screw that retains the trigger assembly is not to tight.  Slightly loosen this screw before doing anything else.

Can you feel play between the front trigger and the sear?  When unset.

The other thing I should ask.  Have you tried cocking it with the triggers set?  If still doesn’t catch the full cock, theres a good chance it is the fly.  If it does cock then there’s a chance the spring on the cocking trigger is not balanced properly.
Bob
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2023 at 12:58am by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 10:26am
Print Post  
There is some good information in the sticky above, "Stevens 44 dst".
May have to build a simple fixture to locate the hammer and sear pivots to be able to see what is going on.

Bob,  Never seen a fly like the picture but it should work very well.
Chuck

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Chuck brings up a good point of a fixture so I went back and searched pictures for something like that.  Kind of found one which I will show.  But before that I will take a stab at explaining how this all works, with pictures.  Anyone please correct me if I'm incorrect anywhere in this explaination.  I'll do this in several posts so it easier follow.

This is the same photo as I showed before, showing the position of the fly. As shown (#1) it is covering the half cock notch so the sear slides up over and can not catch.

(#2) Is the full cock notch.  With a pin through the hammer pin hole, for alignment, and then rotating the fly toward the full cock notch it should never cover the full notch and will probably stop leaving the tip exposed so the sear can catch as it slides along the bottom of the hammer.

(#3)  Is the surface the sear should always be in contact with so when cocking the hammer it can enter either notch.  The sear is spring loaded to keep it in contact here.

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2023 at 3:26pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
The parts of the trigger group that work with the hammer.

#3 is the sear tip that should always be in contact with the bottom of the hammer.

#4 is the sear spring that keeps it in contact with the hammer. This has been known to slide off to the side leaving the sear loose.

#2 Is the front extension of the set trigger.  This is what contacts and  kicks the sear out of the hammer notch.

#1 is the set trigger spring.  This is the spring that kicks the rear trigger extension up to trip the sear out of the hammer full cock notch.

No arrow to it, but the front screw hole is the screw that I said to loosen. As can be seen here, if the sear fit in the frame is close it can bind and the sear will not stay against the hammer.  If this is suspect I would remove the sear and stone a few thousands off the sides.

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2023 at 6:06pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
This pictures shows an exaggerated sear position.

#1 is the the set trigger front extension as explained in the last post.  It is holding the rear of the sear high at a steep angle #2.  In this position the sear can not stay in contact with the hammer and engage the notches.

This is what can happen when the set trigger spring is not balanced.  Too much down pressure will raise the extension of the set trigger too high disengaging the sear from the hammer.  This is the reason I suggested setting the trigger to see if it would then cock.
Bob

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2023 at 3:31pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Here's all the trigger parts mounted on the outside of the trigger frame.

#5 is the front trigger, rear extension.  It should never contact the sear.  For safety there should always be a slight amount of play when unset.

#3 again is the sear tip.  Pivoted down in this picture because the set trigger front extension #2 has the rear pushed up.  #4 shows the contact point.

#2 is the set trigger front extension.

#4 is the contact point between the sear and set trigger when the trigger is released. 

#1 is the pad on the rear set trigger where the spring applies pressure for the sear kick off.  There is a lump on the spring that contacts this pad and if not properly balance raises the trigger extension so high it can hold the sear away from the hammer.

Hope this helps.
Bob

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2023 at 2:44pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
One more thing.  It’s been awhile since I played with one of these but, I believe the following to be correct.  Please correct me if this is incorrect.

In my reply #3 the fly is shown laying on top of the hammer.  The tab sticking out behind the working portion of the fly is the stop so the fly doesn’t travel past the half cock notch.

The lobe on the opposite side is the stop for when the fly is rotated toward the full cock notch.

So when installing a new fly this all needs to be fitted correctly.
Bob
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2023 at 6:14pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2023 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Aug 28th, 2023 at 1:57pm:

#5 is the pad on the rear set trigger where the spring applies pressure for the sear kick off.  There is a lump on the spring that contacts this pad and if not properly balance raises the trigger extension so high it can hold the sear away from the hammer.
  Reply #7, Believe this should be #1 if I understand correctly.

Excellent description and superb pictures, just a comment.
Set trigger spring contact at #1 should be adjusted so the rear trigger almost, but not quite, contacts the sear at #4 when the triggers are not set. Sear nose contacting the hammer.
Should be able to cock the hammer with the triggers unset. Inertia of the rear trigger trips the sear when the triggers are set.

Again, best description of set trigger, sear relationship I have seen.
Chuck

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2023 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Bobw thank you for that.  I've got a problem that I think I've narrowed down to the fly preventing the rifle from going to full cock unless the hammer is pulled back very rapidly.  Going slowly, the sear never stays in the full cock notch.  I'm suspecting the fly and your pictures and explanations are exactly what I need.

Chris.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2023 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks to all for the discussion and illustrations.  It’s comforting to know other people have had to address this issue.

Any other observations or experiences are welcome, of course.  This is already a genuine “thread of record,” with the participation and advice offered.  I’ll get back to the flies tomorrow, and will let you know how it goes.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2023 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Chuck is correct in all cases….reply #9. Thanks

I corrected the error in reply #7.  That is an important point if a new spring is installed or in a rare case the trigger.

I got interrupted at that point in the write-up and missed some points.  A friend decided to marry his girl friend and need a witness for the wedding application and needed me there pronto….true store!
Bob
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2023 at 2:55pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2023 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Hmmmmm— he needed you there in a hurry—- shotgun wedding Bobw? LoL

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2023 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Chris/gunlaker, if you haven't already done so, be sure to loosen the front trigger frame screw first.  If the screw is really tight the sear could be hanging up when the hammer is being moved slowly.  Moving the hammer quickly may give the sear/sear spring the inertia too over come the sticking.   Then, if it still has the issue, check the sear spring and be sure it is in position and maintaining consistent pressure on the sear.  Then check the fly.
bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Thanks Bob, I will definitely triple check it all.  I've had the thing apart a few times and the sear seems to move freely.  I've checked everything that I've read of here in the past but it never hurts to check again. 

One of the reasons I started to suspect the fly is that when I put the entire lower tang/trigger assembly into a different rifle, it all works perfectly. 

Chris.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 10:42am
Print Post  
It seem periodically issues with the 44 1/2, original or CPA, fly and set triggers pop up here.  This is one of the reason I have made an attempt to explain how it works now.  While the system isn’t complicated it does require some careful attention and fitting.

Believe me, while building a 44 1/2 from scratch including the set trigger assembly, I had the opportunity to run into all the issues getting it all to work properly.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #17 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
. . . while building a 44 1/2 from scratch

Except for Greg, I can't imaging anyone else doing such a thing, especially and most likely just for the fun and challenge of it.  That being said, I'm also sure the end result was not just commendable but also more than likely better than the originals here and there.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Aug 28th, 2023 at 1:19pm:
e

(#2) Is the full cock notch.  With a pin through the hammer pin hole, for alignment, and then rotating the fly toward the full cock notch it should never cover the full notch and will probably stop leaving the tip exposed so the sear can catch as it slides along the bottom of the hammer.

Bob, just so I understand? in my CPA, if I use the hammer screw as a pivot and assemble it like in your picture, and rotate the fly toward the full cock notch, then it should not cover the full cock notch?

Mine definitely does. 

Is there something that is supposed to limit the travel of the fly to prevent it from rotating far enough to not cover the full cock notch?

thanks,

Chris.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
I should add that I just reassembled the rifle without the fly.  Now the sear holds in the full cock notch regardless of how slowly I cock it.  I guess now I have to understand more about the fly and how it should operate .

Chris.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
OK,  modicum of progress.  I guess.

I decided to see what I could do on the single-trigger Stevens that I'm also trying to ease the trigger pull on.   Any "lessons learned" would, I hope, apply to the more complicated set-trigger mechanism.

Here's a picture of the notches on the bottom of my hammer, with two unaltered CPA flies set up on the hammer pin in the manner bobw showed, simultaneously.  The outside one is pushed up to block any tendency of the trigger sear to pop into the halfcock notch, as he illustrated and later numbered.  However, the identical one on the pin, down as far as it will go in the slot in the hammer, as (I hope) can be seen, does extend a little into the fullcock notch.  With the hammer and spring installed, it will not cock.

If I was to grind enough of that interference off so that nothing shows below the halfcock notch, I would think it would result in a gap when the fly came up to override the halfcock on firing, and negate its own function, allowing the trigger to slide in there.

(If set, of course. A normal pull on the trigger would keep it out as their hammer fell, which is why the fly really isn't needed with the standard trigger.  Still, as in the case of the other plain original, I want it to work.)

Hope this pic loads.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
OK; we progress!

So what I did was to round off the trailing edge of the fly projection which protrudes into the fullcock notch when it is down, the better (I hoped) to allow the trigger sear to rub or push the projection out of the way and seat itself into the fullcock notch.  An unaltered CPA fly is at the top of the picture, the slightly tweaked one I'm messing with on the bottom.

You can see the rounded trailing edge, I hope; I didn't want to take off too much.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
So; now the denouement, the climax; the kicker; the Big Moment!

I put the hammer and fly back into the gun.  It wouldn't cock.  I turned the gun upside down.  It cocked.  I turned it back rightside up again.  It cocked several times and I snapped the trigger with thumb pressure on the hammer in between.

I installed the hammer spring.  The hammer cocked.  I tightened the strain screw and took it out to the garage, where a box of fired shells with fired primers waited.

Putting a shell into the chamber, I closed the breech and tried to cock the hammer.  Nope!  I turned the gun upside down.  The hammer cocked fine, and I snapped the trigger on the dead primer.  I extracted the shell, put another dead soldier in.  The hammer cocked and I snapped the trigger.  Four more shells chambered, cocked and snapped fine.  The trigger pull will never be great, but it is noticeably better.

It seems if the gun sits around on halfcock, the fly might get a little sticky, so either turning it upside-down, or (as I found) quickly pulling the hammer to full cock (like gunfighters do with Single Action Armies) does the business.  I think I'll so some shooting with it and see if things get better or worse before trying any more grinding or filing.

Not out of the woods yet, but a significant improvement compared to what it was.  That fly looks Cool, but is not Stevens' finest design moment.  Anybody who takes the hammer pin out (for whatever reason) will likely lose the thing down into the innards of the action, from there to fall out on the floor and get swept up with the next cleanup.  Only one of the 44-1/2s I've found has the thing on it.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I'll be interested to hear how yours works now.  On mine, when the fly is pushed forward all the way like yours, nothing covers up the full cock notch at all.   

I'm learning a lot on this thread.  I think we have similar problems but I think mine might be because the angle on the fly doesn't allow the sear to push it correctly to uncover the full cock notch. 

Is your fly polished smooth?  Mine has some surface roughness on it.  Mine is also fairly sloppy with regard to the fit on the hammer screw.

I might pop apart one of my other rifles to compare.

Chris.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Aug 30th, 2023 at 4:31pm:
So; now the denouement, the climax; the kicker; the Big Moment!

or (as I found) quickly pulling the hammer to full cock (like gunfighters do with Single Action Armies) does the business. 

Yours sounds like it's behaving like mine now!.  The only way for it to work reliably is to rapidly cock it.

I have a new fly on the way, but over the next couple of days I'll take apart my first CPA and compare them.   

Chris.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
The flies as they come from CPA are pretty smooth on the sides, but there are some slight nicks or ridges on the edges.  I burnished these off with a dull file (the edges can be smoothed somewhat with a file, but not easily; they're almost as hard as the file is).  I can remove burrs from grinding from the sides with the same dull file.  But I've been using a little hand crank grindstone to remove any significant amount of material.

When an unmodified fly is pushed all the way up, there is nothing projecting into the fullcock notch, and it completely but just bridges the halfcock notch. But it will project into the fullcock notch a little bit, as the picture shows, when it is all the way down.  At this point, there is plenty of room in the halfcock notch for the trigger sear, but not enough to allow the fly to rock up completely enough to keep it from projecting into the fullcock notch, as the photo shows.  I don't see any evidence that the slots in the hammers I have have been altered or widened or whatever.

To answer another question I've neglected, the set triggers can be set on the 47 and the hammer still will not cock.  I am snugging the forward trigger plate spring just enough to hold; not tight.  Must have missed that advice; never heard there was a problem tyat way before.

I would imagine that an extremely heavy trigger spring would allow the trigger sear to push or rub the fly out of the way, no matter what the configuration, but I can't but believe that this dodge wouldn't result in a separate set of problems that I'd rather not deal with, especially with a set trigger mechanism.  Trading Stevens fly movement problems for a Remington Military Rolling Block trigger pull would be trading the classic headache for the upset stomach.  Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2023 at 6:35pm by Bent_Ramrod »  

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
I just took apart my first CPA and the flys are definitely a little different in shape.  The way the first one is set up, pressure from the sear looks like it would push the fly out of the way to allow full cock to work nicely.  The rifle that doesn't work properly has a different shaped fly that seems more likely to not get pushed out of the way.  I'm assuming that's how the full cock is supposed to get exposed ( by the sear pushing on the fly and rotating it out of the way ). 

Chris.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
The 5 flies I ordered from CPA were the same shape as the one on my lone original 44-1/2 that still has one, and the pictures in deHass' books.  Maybe a slight oversize (caused by blanking?) top and bottom, but the same shape overall.  One fit the original hammer pin well; another had maybe a slight burr that required twisting it on the hammer pin.  A little polishing should make it spin fine.  Making the blanks  few thou large and the holes a tiny bit undersized to fit worn pins would be a prudent move by CPA, I should think.

I replaced the hammer pin on the 47 to better fit the hole in the hammer. I had to drill the hole out in the fly for that one slightly to make it fit.

I think I'll declare provisional victory on the first one and tackle the other tomorrow or the next day.  I need to reload some more ammo anyway, for a range test.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
I've been trying to catch up with what you guys are asking and doing, but haven't totally comprehended it all.  About all I can do to help, without seeing them, is try to explain the operations and how I believe they work. 

First, the fly can not interfere with the full cock notch at all! 

Also, you may have missed my post about the stops.  Here are couple pictures showing  and explaining them.

Photo #1 Your picture of the flys.  #1 Lobe and the full cock stop.  #2 is the half cock stop, #3 the area the sear slides against to clear the half cock notch (I corrected this arrow to reflect the proper surface better) and #4 assumed hump the sear needs to ride over to get to the full cock notch, once the fly stops.

First photo....#4, I do not believe this area or any part of the fly should enter the full cock notch. I believe it should stop between the two notches and the sear rides over it and into the full notch.  If it is locked behind the full cock notch then the sear, being ahead of it, would enter the half cock on firing the gun.

Photo 2, #1 Lobe for full cock stop and #2 is the stop in the hammer.

Photo 3, #1 the half cock stop on the fly and #2 the half cock stop in the hammer.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2023 at 9:58pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
So, you will need to study what needs to be done.  In your picture of the hammer, I can't tell if the fly is against the stop on the full notch side, it is very close to working in the position shown.  If it is, would filing a little off the stop (#1 in fly photo) let it come around a bit further and clear the full notch, but leaving the hump in front of the full notch?  Or, would filing a little off the stop (#1) plus slightly modifying the length of the fly at #3 fix the issue, but not so much that it will not work for the half cock notch.

Not really looking for an answer just want you to keep an open mind as to what it will take to fix the issue.

I would assume the CPA flys are over sized for fitting, at least I hope they are.

Sorry for this being really wordy, but don't know how else to ask the questions.
Bob

FYI, when I built the 44 1/2 the fly would not work because I did not pay attention to the stops and the proper depth when I cut them. The second hammer work with the fly without any issues.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2023 at 8:15pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #30 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Bill, I’m sure you have just forgot.

The full build is here.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Thank you Bob.  I guess it works a little differently than I thought Smiley.  Mine seem does hold full cock properly with the fly removed from the hammer, but I guess I have a little more thinking to do.  Thanks very much for the explanations.  I will read them carefully and have another look at my rifle.

Chris.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
It’s probably me trying to explain how it works that is confusing.  Maybe someone else can explain it better or differently.

I’ll try to simplify checking the fly operation, fixing is another beast.

If you remove the hammer and using the screw to keep the fly in place.  Then holding the hammer in the approximate position it would be when holding the gun in shooting, spur up. Move the fly forward and it should stop where it covers the half cock notch.  When you cock the hammer the sear drags the fly back toward the full notch but should release it before the sear drops in the notch.  You can do the same thing with a finger nail or knife blade and see what happens.  The fly should free fall out of the way so the sear can drop in the full notch….without the fly touching the sear.  Whether cocking the hammer slow or fast the fly should not contact the sear.  If the sear can catch any part of the fly in or out of the full notch it needs work.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2023 at 11:22pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Aug 31st, 2023 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
bobw, no apology needed.  I don't think "terseness" would adequately cover the nuances here.

My picture was of the hammer on the plain trigger gun, with two flies as they come from CPA, one in the slot, and the other, in the same orientation, outside.  The one in the slot is all the way down, and it does protrude slightly into the center of the fullcock notch, as shown.  The one on the outside is pushed as far up as it would go in the slot, covering the halfcock notch so the trigger sear rides up past it.  Both are pointed in the same way as your first picture on Page 3 shows.  The business end of the fly I pictured, which you numbered 3 and 4, is just wide enough so if it is pushed completely out of the fullcock notch, it just covers (completely) the distance between the outside of the fullcock notch and the beginning of the metal above the halfcock notch.

Whether it isn't supposed to protrude into the fullcock notch or not, it does.  You seem to be saying that Lobe #1 on your modification of my picture should stop the downward travel of the point #3, keeping it out of the fullcock notch entirely.  This it does not do, and all three of my remaining unmodified flies go the same distance down into the fullcock notch.

I would think that, as the fly hangs down as the hammer is cocked, there would need to be some sort of contact or pressure against the lump #3-#4, in order to push it up and over the halfcock notch, and then ride over the lump.  This first contact needs to be short of actually keeping the trigger sear out of the fullcock notch when the hammer is cocked, of course.

I surmise that the cocking mechanism would have the sear, under the pressure of the trigger spring, pushing the fly up and ahead of it as it enters the fullcock notch.

If I shorten lump 3-4 at point 3, to keep it out of the fullcock notch entirely, I would think it might leave a gap ahead of the surface that the sear might catch in as it exits the fullcock notch.  So I rounded it slightly to help the possible pushing without making a gap.

I could maybe solder a bit of metal at lobe #1 to push the end of lump 3-4 high enough to keep it out of the fullcock notch.  The fly I'm messing with on the set-trigger 47 has already been tweaked, so I might try that and see what happens.

The other gun responds to fast cocking and upside down holding, and once the hammer cocks once, it cocks normally for a number of shots.  How many we shall see.  I hope things will just "wear in."

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Aug 31st, 2023 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Of course we are looking everything in a static state and need to think how all the parts move when in motion.  We are all trying to figure things out with words, where if the parts were in hand it would be much easier to see what is going on.  We are all learning something with this thread and, I would like to see both you guys guns working properly.  

Your comment starting with “This first contact needs to be short”  I believe is correct.

In my opinion the stop #1 is probably ok as long as it is not allowing the lump #4 get too close to the full notch, definitely not into it.  Once the sear travels past the lump the fly should be free and not interfere with the completion of cocking.  As long as the sear doesn’t hang up on surface #3 (I corrected this arrow to reflect the proper surface better), it should cock with no issues.

Bob

After added the above comments I've been studying all these pictures closer.  I'm now more convinced you are correct with the rounding of the surface #3 (I corrected this arrow to reflect the proper surface better).  Looking closer at the original compared to your new fly, this point is much more rounded on the original.  By changing it should not effect the sear sliding past the half notch.  I would change it by rounding or changing the angle until it no longer protrudes into the full notch.  Do this without any change to the length of point #4.  That length is required for the the sear to get past the half notch.  I would take one of your extra flys and make this change.  This goes back to my points that the fly should never protrude into the full notch and the point early on that said the fly was too long.  Just that too long in this case probably only applies to part of the fly.

Most of the time I'm a bit slow at seeing things!
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2023 at 10:10pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Sep 1st, 2023 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
I took the 44-1/2 out today and put 25 shots through it.  It cocked positively on the first loading, and on most loadings thereafter.  On maybe 3-4 occasions I would pull the hammer back, feel that it hadn’t caught before removing my thumb, pull it back again from that position, and it then it cocked OK.  There was none of the sense that the fullcock notch didn’t exist, like before.

I’m going to theorize that perhaps the rounding on the back of the lobe maybe needs just a slight more polish or radiusing.  It might explain how sometimes the gun needs turning upside down, fast cocking, or (as in the above case) recocking after the first try doesn’t catch.  This could (I guess) be caused by the fly not always bottoming out in its slot and maybe offering a less rounded point for the trigger sear to push away.

Or something.  I’ll fire the rest of the box through it before going in again.  The trigger pull continues to improve.

I’ll get the other one out over the next few days and see if any “lessons learned” on plain triggers apply to set triggers.

Thanks to all, especially bobw, for the pictures and explanations.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44-1/2 Set Trigger Fly Issues
Reply #36 - Sep 7th, 2023 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
I ground more off the front of the fly I'd already been using for the 47 set trigger.  The lower rear (3 in bobw's numeration on my picture) was now almost gone, leaving a surface almost parallel with the fullcock notch but still protruding into it slightly.

Assembling the hammer with fly and hammer screw could be done with the hammer at full cock, and with thumb pressure on the hammer, the set trigger would snap it.  Subsequent attempts to cock the hammer resulted in a mild bump or snag when pulled all the way back, but the hammer wouldn't catch in the notch.

I soldered a piece of jigsaw blade to the fly at position 1, dressed it down until it fit and turned on the hammer pin in the hammer slot.  This served to hold what was left of the projection on the fly almost completely out of the fullcock notch.  Assembled, it would snag a little more positively when fully cocked against thumb pressure, and occasionally cock if enough upending, tapping, and other maneuvers were done.  However, now, if cocked, the sear fell into the halfcock notch when trigger was pulled.

So I took a new fly and soldered an identical piece of blade onto position 1, grinding it down in front until it would allow the tab 3-4 to move out of the halfcock notch when down.  When cocked, it seemed to snag more frequently going over the fullcock notch, and would occasionally stick at full cock, with sufficient tapping, rattling, turning over, etc.

At this point, lobe 3-4 still projected into the fullcock notch, although it looked like the surface should allow the sear to slide over it and push it up and out of the way.  Assembling and trying to cock resulted in more pronounced snagging and even occasional cocking.  I took the fly and ground a slight radius or rounding on position 3.  On assembly, it actually cocked, and stayed cocked, more often than it merely heavily snagged.

I put the mainspring on and the hammer snagged often and heavily, and cocked occasionally.

I guess some progress has been made, but it mystifies me how this setup can give these problems.  I'll continue to round off the fly at position 3 and see if the full cocking outstrips the snagging and bumping.  Certainly the extra metal at 1 keeps the fly higher in the fullcock notch; I doubt that a thicker piece there could move it completely out while still allowing the automatic halfcock when the action is opened.

All I do know is that I'm getting plenty tired of taking this thing apart and putting it back together.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint