Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44-1/2 Set Trigger Fly Issues (Read 3526 times)
Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Stevens 44-1/2 Set Trigger Fly Issues
Aug 27th, 2023 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Decided to get a couple of troublesome Stevens 44-1/2s out of the safe and go "Waltzing Matilda" with them.  Again.

The first is a 47-44-1/2 with set triggers.  It was found with no fly.  I used a homemade fly for years, but occasionally, it would override the halfcock when the lever was cycled, and had to be halfcocked by hand.  No problems otherwise, but I wanted it to work right.

So I got several flies from CPA.  They duly arrived and I've had nothing but trouble since.

I had made a closer fitting hammer screw, so had to drill the hole in the new fly out to fit, but that modification and a little polishing and the thing swiveled on the hammer screw (I guess) like it was supposed to.  But when I assembled the action it would not cock.  It acted like there was no full-cock notch on the hammer.  The sear would go into halfcock with no trouble.

I ordered new springs for the set triggers from CPA and replaced the ones on the gun.  No help.  So back into the safe it went and I went on to other things.

There other is a standard model, with a buggered hammer notch.  I've been gradually stoning it back to a decent pull; no particular issues there.  However, it (like the 47) came without the fly.

I'd recently finished a reline job on this one and did a little more work on the hammer notch.  I figured I might as well put one of the flies on that one, too, as all the models seemed to have them, whatever the trigger type.

So I put another CPA fly (unmodified) on that hammer and it refused to cock; acted like it has no full-cock notch.

I got the other gun out of the safe again and a third (standard) model with a still-extant fly (which cocks, halfcocks and fires fine).  Comparing flies, the replacements seemed a little generous with material, so I did some judicious grinding and filing on the edges of the new ones to better match the outline of the old one.

Still no joy.  Both guns still refuse to cock, although if the hammer on the 47 is back when I tighten the hammer screw, it holds the cock notch fine.  Once it's down, it doesn't catch again.

So now, the 44-1/2 (without a fly) goes to the range tomorrow to see if the trigger pull has been improved and the 47 is back in the safe.

Can anybody tell me how these things are supposed to work?  It looks like the sear is supposed to push the fly up out of the way of the full-cock notch and then ride over it to miss the half-cock notch.  I'm afraid to take any more off the surfaces.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2023 at 3:44pm by Bent_Ramrod »  

IP Logged

curdog

Re: Flies In The Ointment
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2023 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Without looking at them, it sounds to me like the flys are too long.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2023 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
This should be what the fly looks like installed and fitted properly.  Pictures are from an original 44 1/2.

As has been said many time here…make sure the front screw that retains the trigger assembly is not to tight.  Slightly loosen this screw before doing anything else.

Can you feel play between the front trigger and the sear?  When unset.

The other thing I should ask.  Have you tried cocking it with the triggers set?  If still doesn’t catch the full cock, theres a good chance it is the fly.  If it does cock then there’s a chance the spring on the cocking trigger is not balanced properly.
Bob
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2023 at 12:58am by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 10:26am
Print Post  
There is some good information in the sticky above, "Stevens 44 dst".
May have to build a simple fixture to locate the hammer and sear pivots to be able to see what is going on.

Bob,  Never seen a fly like the picture but it should work very well.
Chuck

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Chuck brings up a good point of a fixture so I went back and searched pictures for something like that.  Kind of found one which I will show.  But before that I will take a stab at explaining how this all works, with pictures.  Anyone please correct me if I'm incorrect anywhere in this explaination.  I'll do this in several posts so it easier follow.

This is the same photo as I showed before, showing the position of the fly. As shown (#1) it is covering the half cock notch so the sear slides up over and can not catch.

(#2) Is the full cock notch.  With a pin through the hammer pin hole, for alignment, and then rotating the fly toward the full cock notch it should never cover the full notch and will probably stop leaving the tip exposed so the sear can catch as it slides along the bottom of the hammer.

(#3)  Is the surface the sear should always be in contact with so when cocking the hammer it can enter either notch.  The sear is spring loaded to keep it in contact here.

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2023 at 3:26pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
The parts of the trigger group that work with the hammer.

#3 is the sear tip that should always be in contact with the bottom of the hammer.

#4 is the sear spring that keeps it in contact with the hammer. This has been known to slide off to the side leaving the sear loose.

#2 Is the front extension of the set trigger.  This is what contacts and  kicks the sear out of the hammer notch.

#1 is the set trigger spring.  This is the spring that kicks the rear trigger extension up to trip the sear out of the hammer full cock notch.

No arrow to it, but the front screw hole is the screw that I said to loosen. As can be seen here, if the sear fit in the frame is close it can bind and the sear will not stay against the hammer.  If this is suspect I would remove the sear and stone a few thousands off the sides.

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2023 at 6:06pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
This pictures shows an exaggerated sear position.

#1 is the the set trigger front extension as explained in the last post.  It is holding the rear of the sear high at a steep angle #2.  In this position the sear can not stay in contact with the hammer and engage the notches.

This is what can happen when the set trigger spring is not balanced.  Too much down pressure will raise the extension of the set trigger too high disengaging the sear from the hammer.  This is the reason I suggested setting the trigger to see if it would then cock.
Bob

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2023 at 3:31pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Here's all the trigger parts mounted on the outside of the trigger frame.

#5 is the front trigger, rear extension.  It should never contact the sear.  For safety there should always be a slight amount of play when unset.

#3 again is the sear tip.  Pivoted down in this picture because the set trigger front extension #2 has the rear pushed up.  #4 shows the contact point.

#2 is the set trigger front extension.

#4 is the contact point between the sear and set trigger when the trigger is released. 

#1 is the pad on the rear set trigger where the spring applies pressure for the sear kick off.  There is a lump on the spring that contacts this pad and if not properly balance raises the trigger extension so high it can hold the sear away from the hammer.

Hope this helps.
Bob

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2023 at 2:44pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
One more thing.  It’s been awhile since I played with one of these but, I believe the following to be correct.  Please correct me if this is incorrect.

In my reply #3 the fly is shown laying on top of the hammer.  The tab sticking out behind the working portion of the fly is the stop so the fly doesn’t travel past the half cock notch.

The lobe on the opposite side is the stop for when the fly is rotated toward the full cock notch.

So when installing a new fly this all needs to be fitted correctly.
Bob
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2023 at 6:14pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2023 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Aug 28th, 2023 at 1:57pm:

#5 is the pad on the rear set trigger where the spring applies pressure for the sear kick off.  There is a lump on the spring that contacts this pad and if not properly balance raises the trigger extension so high it can hold the sear away from the hammer.
  Reply #7, Believe this should be #1 if I understand correctly.

Excellent description and superb pictures, just a comment.
Set trigger spring contact at #1 should be adjusted so the rear trigger almost, but not quite, contacts the sear at #4 when the triggers are not set. Sear nose contacting the hammer.
Should be able to cock the hammer with the triggers unset. Inertia of the rear trigger trips the sear when the triggers are set.

Again, best description of set trigger, sear relationship I have seen.
Chuck

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2023 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Bobw thank you for that.  I've got a problem that I think I've narrowed down to the fly preventing the rifle from going to full cock unless the hammer is pulled back very rapidly.  Going slowly, the sear never stays in the full cock notch.  I'm suspecting the fly and your pictures and explanations are exactly what I need.

Chris.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2023 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks to all for the discussion and illustrations.  It’s comforting to know other people have had to address this issue.

Any other observations or experiences are welcome, of course.  This is already a genuine “thread of record,” with the participation and advice offered.  I’ll get back to the flies tomorrow, and will let you know how it goes.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Aug 29th, 2023 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Chuck is correct in all cases….reply #9. Thanks

I corrected the error in reply #7.  That is an important point if a new spring is installed or in a rare case the trigger.

I got interrupted at that point in the write-up and missed some points.  A friend decided to marry his girl friend and need a witness for the wedding application and needed me there pronto….true store!
Bob
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2023 at 2:55pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Aug 29th, 2023 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Hmmmmm— he needed you there in a hurry—- shotgun wedding Bobw? LoL

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 29th, 2023 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
Chris/gunlaker, if you haven't already done so, be sure to loosen the front trigger frame screw first.  If the screw is really tight the sear could be hanging up when the hammer is being moved slowly.  Moving the hammer quickly may give the sear/sear spring the inertia too over come the sticking.   Then, if it still has the issue, check the sear spring and be sure it is in position and maintaining consistent pressure on the sear.  Then check the fly.
bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint