Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44-1/2 Set Trigger Fly Issues (Read 3531 times)
gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Flies In The Ointment
Reply #15 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Thanks Bob, I will definitely triple check it all.  I've had the thing apart a few times and the sear seems to move freely.  I've checked everything that I've read of here in the past but it never hurts to check again. 

One of the reasons I started to suspect the fly is that when I put the entire lower tang/trigger assembly into a different rifle, it all works perfectly. 

Chris.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 10:42am
Print Post  
It seem periodically issues with the 44 1/2, original or CPA, fly and set triggers pop up here.  This is one of the reason I have made an attempt to explain how it works now.  While the system isn’t complicated it does require some careful attention and fitting.

Believe me, while building a 44 1/2 from scratch including the set trigger assembly, I had the opportunity to run into all the issues getting it all to work properly.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #17 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
. . . while building a 44 1/2 from scratch

Except for Greg, I can't imaging anyone else doing such a thing, especially and most likely just for the fun and challenge of it.  That being said, I'm also sure the end result was not just commendable but also more than likely better than the originals here and there.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Aug 28th, 2023 at 1:19pm:
e

(#2) Is the full cock notch.  With a pin through the hammer pin hole, for alignment, and then rotating the fly toward the full cock notch it should never cover the full notch and will probably stop leaving the tip exposed so the sear can catch as it slides along the bottom of the hammer.

Bob, just so I understand? in my CPA, if I use the hammer screw as a pivot and assemble it like in your picture, and rotate the fly toward the full cock notch, then it should not cover the full cock notch?

Mine definitely does. 

Is there something that is supposed to limit the travel of the fly to prevent it from rotating far enough to not cover the full cock notch?

thanks,

Chris.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
I should add that I just reassembled the rifle without the fly.  Now the sear holds in the full cock notch regardless of how slowly I cock it.  I guess now I have to understand more about the fly and how it should operate .

Chris.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
OK,  modicum of progress.  I guess.

I decided to see what I could do on the single-trigger Stevens that I'm also trying to ease the trigger pull on.   Any "lessons learned" would, I hope, apply to the more complicated set-trigger mechanism.

Here's a picture of the notches on the bottom of my hammer, with two unaltered CPA flies set up on the hammer pin in the manner bobw showed, simultaneously.  The outside one is pushed up to block any tendency of the trigger sear to pop into the halfcock notch, as he illustrated and later numbered.  However, the identical one on the pin, down as far as it will go in the slot in the hammer, as (I hope) can be seen, does extend a little into the fullcock notch.  With the hammer and spring installed, it will not cock.

If I was to grind enough of that interference off so that nothing shows below the halfcock notch, I would think it would result in a gap when the fly came up to override the halfcock on firing, and negate its own function, allowing the trigger to slide in there.

(If set, of course. A normal pull on the trigger would keep it out as their hammer fell, which is why the fly really isn't needed with the standard trigger.  Still, as in the case of the other plain original, I want it to work.)

Hope this pic loads.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
OK; we progress!

So what I did was to round off the trailing edge of the fly projection which protrudes into the fullcock notch when it is down, the better (I hoped) to allow the trigger sear to rub or push the projection out of the way and seat itself into the fullcock notch.  An unaltered CPA fly is at the top of the picture, the slightly tweaked one I'm messing with on the bottom.

You can see the rounded trailing edge, I hope; I didn't want to take off too much.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
So; now the denouement, the climax; the kicker; the Big Moment!

I put the hammer and fly back into the gun.  It wouldn't cock.  I turned the gun upside down.  It cocked.  I turned it back rightside up again.  It cocked several times and I snapped the trigger with thumb pressure on the hammer in between.

I installed the hammer spring.  The hammer cocked.  I tightened the strain screw and took it out to the garage, where a box of fired shells with fired primers waited.

Putting a shell into the chamber, I closed the breech and tried to cock the hammer.  Nope!  I turned the gun upside down.  The hammer cocked fine, and I snapped the trigger on the dead primer.  I extracted the shell, put another dead soldier in.  The hammer cocked and I snapped the trigger.  Four more shells chambered, cocked and snapped fine.  The trigger pull will never be great, but it is noticeably better.

It seems if the gun sits around on halfcock, the fly might get a little sticky, so either turning it upside-down, or (as I found) quickly pulling the hammer to full cock (like gunfighters do with Single Action Armies) does the business.  I think I'll so some shooting with it and see if things get better or worse before trying any more grinding or filing.

Not out of the woods yet, but a significant improvement compared to what it was.  That fly looks Cool, but is not Stevens' finest design moment.  Anybody who takes the hammer pin out (for whatever reason) will likely lose the thing down into the innards of the action, from there to fall out on the floor and get swept up with the next cleanup.  Only one of the 44-1/2s I've found has the thing on it.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I'll be interested to hear how yours works now.  On mine, when the fly is pushed forward all the way like yours, nothing covers up the full cock notch at all.   

I'm learning a lot on this thread.  I think we have similar problems but I think mine might be because the angle on the fly doesn't allow the sear to push it correctly to uncover the full cock notch. 

Is your fly polished smooth?  Mine has some surface roughness on it.  Mine is also fairly sloppy with regard to the fit on the hammer screw.

I might pop apart one of my other rifles to compare.

Chris.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Aug 30th, 2023 at 4:31pm:
So; now the denouement, the climax; the kicker; the Big Moment!

or (as I found) quickly pulling the hammer to full cock (like gunfighters do with Single Action Armies) does the business. 

Yours sounds like it's behaving like mine now!.  The only way for it to work reliably is to rapidly cock it.

I have a new fly on the way, but over the next couple of days I'll take apart my first CPA and compare them.   

Chris.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
The flies as they come from CPA are pretty smooth on the sides, but there are some slight nicks or ridges on the edges.  I burnished these off with a dull file (the edges can be smoothed somewhat with a file, but not easily; they're almost as hard as the file is).  I can remove burrs from grinding from the sides with the same dull file.  But I've been using a little hand crank grindstone to remove any significant amount of material.

When an unmodified fly is pushed all the way up, there is nothing projecting into the fullcock notch, and it completely but just bridges the halfcock notch. But it will project into the fullcock notch a little bit, as the picture shows, when it is all the way down.  At this point, there is plenty of room in the halfcock notch for the trigger sear, but not enough to allow the fly to rock up completely enough to keep it from projecting into the fullcock notch, as the photo shows.  I don't see any evidence that the slots in the hammers I have have been altered or widened or whatever.

To answer another question I've neglected, the set triggers can be set on the 47 and the hammer still will not cock.  I am snugging the forward trigger plate spring just enough to hold; not tight.  Must have missed that advice; never heard there was a problem tyat way before.

I would imagine that an extremely heavy trigger spring would allow the trigger sear to push or rub the fly out of the way, no matter what the configuration, but I can't but believe that this dodge wouldn't result in a separate set of problems that I'd rather not deal with, especially with a set trigger mechanism.  Trading Stevens fly movement problems for a Remington Military Rolling Block trigger pull would be trading the classic headache for the upset stomach.  Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2023 at 6:35pm by Bent_Ramrod »  

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
I just took apart my first CPA and the flys are definitely a little different in shape.  The way the first one is set up, pressure from the sear looks like it would push the fly out of the way to allow full cock to work nicely.  The rifle that doesn't work properly has a different shaped fly that seems more likely to not get pushed out of the way.  I'm assuming that's how the full cock is supposed to get exposed ( by the sear pushing on the fly and rotating it out of the way ). 

Chris.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
The 5 flies I ordered from CPA were the same shape as the one on my lone original 44-1/2 that still has one, and the pictures in deHass' books.  Maybe a slight oversize (caused by blanking?) top and bottom, but the same shape overall.  One fit the original hammer pin well; another had maybe a slight burr that required twisting it on the hammer pin.  A little polishing should make it spin fine.  Making the blanks  few thou large and the holes a tiny bit undersized to fit worn pins would be a prudent move by CPA, I should think.

I replaced the hammer pin on the 47 to better fit the hole in the hammer. I had to drill the hole out in the fly for that one slightly to make it fit.

I think I'll declare provisional victory on the first one and tackle the other tomorrow or the next day.  I need to reload some more ammo anyway, for a range test.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
I've been trying to catch up with what you guys are asking and doing, but haven't totally comprehended it all.  About all I can do to help, without seeing them, is try to explain the operations and how I believe they work. 

First, the fly can not interfere with the full cock notch at all! 

Also, you may have missed my post about the stops.  Here are couple pictures showing  and explaining them.

Photo #1 Your picture of the flys.  #1 Lobe and the full cock stop.  #2 is the half cock stop, #3 the area the sear slides against to clear the half cock notch (I corrected this arrow to reflect the proper surface better) and #4 assumed hump the sear needs to ride over to get to the full cock notch, once the fly stops.

First photo....#4, I do not believe this area or any part of the fly should enter the full cock notch. I believe it should stop between the two notches and the sear rides over it and into the full notch.  If it is locked behind the full cock notch then the sear, being ahead of it, would enter the half cock on firing the gun.

Photo 2, #1 Lobe for full cock stop and #2 is the stop in the hammer.

Photo 3, #1 the half cock stop on the fly and #2 the half cock stop in the hammer.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2023 at 9:58pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Aug 30th, 2023 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
So, you will need to study what needs to be done.  In your picture of the hammer, I can't tell if the fly is against the stop on the full notch side, it is very close to working in the position shown.  If it is, would filing a little off the stop (#1 in fly photo) let it come around a bit further and clear the full notch, but leaving the hump in front of the full notch?  Or, would filing a little off the stop (#1) plus slightly modifying the length of the fly at #3 fix the issue, but not so much that it will not work for the half cock notch.

Not really looking for an answer just want you to keep an open mind as to what it will take to fix the issue.

I would assume the CPA flys are over sized for fitting, at least I hope they are.

Sorry for this being really wordy, but don't know how else to ask the questions.
Bob

FYI, when I built the 44 1/2 the fly would not work because I did not pay attention to the stops and the proper depth when I cut them. The second hammer work with the fly without any issues.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2023 at 8:15pm by bobw »  

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint