Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic Barrel turning, Half Way Point (Read 10155 times)
n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Barrel turning, Half Way Point
Sep 29th, 2023 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Going to be a Lightweight Half Octagon on a Highwall.  I'm thinking the weight of the Chips is equal to the weight of the Barrel.  Thankful for Power Feed on an old South Bend Lathe.  If I get distracted and it gets to the end of the cut the Drive Belt jumps.  Warning: Not OSHA certified!  David

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Barrel turning, Half Way Point
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2023 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Just finished a similar one myself.  I like your auto lube setup!
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2023 at 1:10am
Print Post  
It's tedious turning down a barrel.  Make sure you stop every pass or two, and let it cool, or at least adjust the tailstock.  Otherwise, you'll end up with an off-center turning, as it heats up, expands, and bows.

The belt slipping/jumping is a questionable benefit on a lathe, forgiving but irritating.  I turned an aluminum disc on my small (10") Logan last week, and it kept grabbing and jumping the belt.  Made the job 3 times as long as it should have been.  My vee belt lathes never had that problem.   

I just got a small south bend this week, (think it's a 9" x 42") with quick change gear box, taper attachment, and collet set with closer.  No wear or lash on the machine, must have been used very little.  Would have been my dream to own 30 years ago when I had a non quick change atlas 10".  But, it's flat belt and I'm having a hard time convincing myself to keep it.

In fact, am contemplating buying a new Grizzly 13x40 gear head with DRO on both axis'.  I have 4 lathes in my shop at the moment, could sell all 4, keep the tooling from all 4 that's to my advantage, and cash out the new Grizzly on the proceeds.  I already have a 13x40 gear head in the shop, but it's an older enco and the upgrade in features would be nice.  Alternatively, am contemplating keeping the south bend as a small lathe, but turn a new headstock pulley to overlay the flat belt cone, and convert to 3 phase, vfd, and ribbed serpentine belt drive.  That would up the power, smooth out the vibration, and reduce the footprint of the machine.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2023 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Nice set-up. You are taking a longer bite than I can get away with without chattering. Probably an excellent tool grind.
Chuck

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2023 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Chuck.  Two factors I use: A Sharp HSS Tool Bit  with the Cutting Edge Perpendicular to the Bore.  Slowest Back Gear with a Fairly Course Feed.  This is the 3rd Barrel I've done from a Rough Blank.  All were larger in Diameter in the Middle, Barrel Shape.  So I take some time to even the Blank out before starting.  Basically take a short cut, 6" or so and start using the Steady Rest following the cut.  A bit of a bother but I get about .002 total run-out using an Indicator.  The Barrel gets about 20° warmer if I can trust my fingers.  So no heat warping that I can tell.  I also use Ball Bearings for Center Pivots when I start turning the Tapers.  Go make some chips 😊  David

IP Logged

Hornetb

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2024 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
You shouldn't have to rely on the belt slipping to save you if you get distracted. The South Bend 9a (with gear box and power feed) has a slipping clutch on the apron. The star wheel on the bottom of the apron to the right of the longitudinal hand wheel is a friction based clutch system for the cross and long power feed. Tighten it up enough feed, but slips if its overloaded.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint