Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 Manufacturing Date? (Read 33249 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Stevens 44 Manufacturing Date?
Mar 18th, 2018 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Guys,

I discussed this rifle a bit and posted a photo of it here back in late 2013 shortly after purchasing it.  By all indications it’s a model 44 and came from the factory with some upgraded features such as the heavy round 26" target barrel, wider stock and Schuetzen buttplate.  With the forearm removed & the receiver facing forward, "44" is stamped into the right front face and "O" or "0" is stamped into the left front face. With the exception of the Fecker 10X scope and possibly the large barrel locking screw (probably off a Favorite model), everything is original with matching serial numbers on the receiver (lower tang), barrel (in front of the forearm), stock and butt plate.

Since the barrel never had a rear sight (no dovetail exists) I understand the rifle was originally shipped from the factory with a tang sight.  The front sight was removed when the scope was added.  The barrel roll stamping reads: J. STEVENS ARMS COMPANY.over CHICOPEE FALL. MASS.U.S.A. on the right side of the barrel 1.25” in front of the receiver and just above the forearm, and 22-L.R. on the opposite (left) side of the barrel.  A shooter familiar with Stevens rifles indicated it was most likely drilled and tapped for a scope by the factory since the roll stamping is not on top of the barrel.

The main reason for posting this thread is to tie down the manufacturing date if possible, or at least narrow it down a bit.  

I did send $20 to Savage Arms Historian John T. Callahan to check the history of the rifle, which was a waste of money.  What I received was a nice generalized letter on the Stevens Model 44 but no specific info on this rifle.

The roll stamping on the barrel puts it in the 1912 to 1935 range.  The 5-digit serial number is 310XX, suggesting to some that it’s a late model Stevens made by Savage, whatever that implies.

Due to the lack of company records, I know it’s likely impossible to determine the exact year of manufacturing but would appreciate any help you Stevens’ experts can provide to narrow it down.  Thanks.

BTW, it's a tack driver.  I've done very well with it out to 200 meters in .22BPCR competition, but I had to loose the scope spring and Schuetzen buttplate in order to comply with the rules.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2018 at 10:58pm by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Stevens 44 Manufacturing Date?
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Here is the stamp on my Stevens 44 indicating production after April 17, 1894 to 1915.
Stevens never produced rifles 1915 to 1920.
This stamp was used until the new stamp "J. STEVENS ARMS COMPANY" was adopted after 1920.
They quit making the Model 44 in 1932.

There are no records of dates of manufacture for the Stevens based on serial number.
You can only tell if they were produced during the time of the old stamp or during the period they used the new stamp.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:18pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dave,

That narrows it down a bit to between 1921 & 1932.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Wayne,
Do you happen to have a picture of the barrel address roll-marking on that round barrel that you can post?
I remember some time back when quite a few Stevens heavy round barrels in 22RF were circulating around the gun shows, and that they appeared to be in brand new uninstalled condition. A lot of folks picked them up for future rebarreling projects. I remember the font being small, and located at about the 2 o'clock position, and think I still have one stashed to compare the barrel address with.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:01am
Print Post  
I'm not so sanguine about the barrel rollstamp on this one having much meaning viz. date.  I've logged quote a lot of 44s up into the 50,000 range that have the older rollstamp, and the lowest s/n I have found with the new style text is #47043, (in my collection).  Another factoid is that Model 404s and Model 414s don't start to appear in the s/n sequence until around 60,000, and both of those start appearing in catalogs circa 1912/13. 

My thought is that this is a pre-WW1 frame that was rebarreled at a later date, and fitted with that lovely wood.

My nickel's worth.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:11am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:41am
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 10:47pm:
A shooter familiar with Stevens rifles indicated it was most likely drilled and tapped for a scope by the factory since the roll stamping is not on top of the barrel.

I've seen un-tapped barrels with the roll stamp off-set, so, unfortunately, this isn't a certain indicator of factory scope-mounting. Neither was the rear sight slot necessarily omitted (except on models 47 & above) when the factory supplied a tang sight.  

But these considerations are moot, because as uscra pointed out, I think the barrel is of much later production than the frame...either because an old frame was sent back to be rebarreled, or because an old (pre-Savage) frame was found in a parts bin & assembled to the new barrel.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:01pm:

Stevens never produced rifles 1915 to 1920.

Not quite correct, as I have a 1919 catalog. 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Looking at your photo again, the unusually high comb looks like the buttstock was shaped with scope-use in mind. Are the blocks of the Stevens pattern, equal in length (unlike Winchester, etc.), and with noticeably radiused corners?

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:20am
Print Post  
The barrel locking screw, is a standard feature on all 44's. They had a slotted head.

To me, the butt stock, looks like the optional one, at could be had on the model 45/44, with the #3 butt plate.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:23am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:20am:
The barrel locking screw, is a standard feature on all 44's. They had a slotted head.

Frank

Most I've seen had a flush head screw, and not protruding down like Texasmac's 44 does.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:25am
Print Post  
My two 44's are no's 50xx and 322xx in 25-20 SS and 22 LR with both having the same stamp J. Stevens A & T Co. with the boxed X. 

Can you extrapolate the same stamps for the Favorites?  I have observed several locations for the stamps on them, earliest on the top flat to the rear of the sight, then a few with the stamp forward of the sight more or less corresponding to the use of the stamped rear sight with the flat elevator piece, then the address on the right upper flat, then later a font change to a less bold font.  The 7 o'clock extractors all seem to have the boxed X and the earlier 6 o'clock ones as well.  The X disappeared during the wide t-shaped extractors and the barrel tightening nut "experiments".  The later 1915's with round and octagonal barrels seem to be all kinds of locations, difficult to determine the chronological sequence of them.

James

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:23am:

Frank

Most I've seen had a flush head screw, and not protruding down like Texasmac's 44 does.

Never seen one on which the screw wasn't flush with the frame, assuming it's screwed all the way in.   

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Since the owner doesn't mention it, I assume the rifle doesn't have the SVG-in-a-circle "proofmark", which together with the case hardening pattern makes me support at least the "old frame" part of the above comments.  However, if memory serves, one could early-on special-order round barrels; if so, I won't stick my neck out further and call the barrel "replaced". (Though I will stick it out far enough to agree with Redsetter about the takedown screw.)

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:37am:
marlinguy wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:23am:

Frank

Never seen one on which the screw wasn't flush with the frame, assuming it's screwed all the way in.   

The only ones I've seen that weren't flush appeared to be custom built screws to make them thumb knobs for easier takedown.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:00pm:
  However, if memory serves, one could early-on special-order round barrels...

No doubt, and other non-standard "irregularities" as well.  But whereas in pre-Savage catalogs, there was a full-octagon option listed ($2 extra), there was no round option specifically listed...probably because there was no demand for them.

However, Savage obviously looked at things differently, offering only round brls on 44s made under their name, so far as the 1927 catalog description is concerned, that is.  Strangely enough, a full octagon option was available for Favorites!  Wonder if this was because a stockpile of such barrels had already been turned out before the change of ownership.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:11pm
Print Post  

They were still selling pre-WWI manufacture rifles to 1919.
I was advised that they were not making the Stevens 44 Model during WWI.   

History[edit]
Stevens Arms was founded by Joshua Stevens with help from backers W.B. Fay and James Taylor in Chicopee Falls, MA,[3] in 1864 as J. Stevens & Co. Their earliest product was a tip-up action single shot pistol.[4]
Business was slow into 1870, when Stevens occupied a converted grist mill and had just sixty employees. The 1873 Panic had a further negative impact on sales. By 1876 the company had recovered to the extent that it was then manufacturing twice the number of shotguns as it had been prior to that year.[5] In 1883 they purchased the Massachusetts Arms Company which Joshua Stevens had helped found in 1850.[1] In 1886, the company was reorganized and incorporated as J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. The business was able to grow steadily with tool manufacturing and sales now accounting for the bulk of the business output.[4]
Stevens and Taylor were bought out in 1896 by I.H. Page, who was one of the new partners and the bookkeeper. Page led the company to significant growth, such that by 1902 Stevens had 900 employees and was considered one of the top sporting firearms manufacturers in the world. In 1901, Stevens entered into a partnership with J. Frank Duryea to produce the Stevens-Duryea automobile manufactured at a separate facility also in Chicopee Falls, MA. In 1915, Stevens led the U.S. arms business in target and small game guns.[4]
On May 28, 1915 Stevens was purchased by New England Westinghouse, a division of Westinghouse Electric. New England Westinghouse was created specifically to fulfill a contract to produce 1.8 million Mosin-Nagant rifles for Czar Nicholas II of Russia for use in World War I. They needed a firearms manufacturing facility in order to accomplish this and chose Stevens. After the purchase they sold off the tool making division, halted production of Stevens-Duryea automobiles, and, on July 1, 1916, renamed the firearms division the J. Stevens Arms Company. When the Czar was deposed by the communists in 1917, New England Westinghouse was never paid and they fell into financial distress.[1][6] They managed to sell most of the rifles to the U.S. Government and keep the Stevens firearms facility operational and did return to limited production of civilian firearms between 1917-1920 while looking for a buyer for Stev
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:23pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:27am:
Wayne,
Do you happen to have a picture of the barrel address roll-marking on that round barrel that you can post?
I remember some time back when quite a few Stevens heavy round barrels in 22RF were circulating around the gun shows, and that they appeared to be in brand new uninstalled condition. A lot of folks picked them up for future rebarreling projects. I remember the font being small, and located at about the 2 o'clock position, and think I still have one stashed to compare the barrel address with.

BP,

I'll try to take a close up of the barrel roll stamping.  The font is small.

Wayne

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Guys, 

Keep in mind that the same 5-digit serial number is heavily stamped on the barrel, lower receiver tang, on the stock under the buttplate and on the brass buttplate.  Therefore, as uscra112 suggested, if "it has a pre-WW1 frame that was rebarreled at a later date, and fitted with that lovely wood" it was done by the factory.

Wayne

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:11pm:

They were still selling pre-WWI manufacture rifles to 1919.
I was advised that they were not making them during WWI.   

Wasn't WWI per se that interrupted Stevens operations, but the Westinghouse-Russian contract, which ended almost a year before the Armistice--when the Bolshevik's seized the gov't & repudiated all previous contracts. 

No way to ascertain when the guns listed in the 1919 catalog were actually mfg., but a major portion of Stevens' pre-war guns are included, shotguns, rifles, even scopes.  What's conspicuously absent are 44-1/2s and all grades above the plain-Jane 44.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:32pm:
Therefore, as uscra112 suggested, if "it has a pre-WW1 frame that was rebarreled at a later date, and fitted with that lovely wood" it was done by the factory.

Wayne

No doubt about that--any time a re-barreling job was done, the original ser. no. was almost certainly stamped on the new brl.

Have you identified the blocks as Stevens...or something else? 

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:57am:
Looking at your photo again, the unusually high comb looks like the buttstock was shaped with scope-use in mind. Are the blocks of the Stevens pattern, equal in length (unlike Winchester, etc.), and with noticeably radiused corners? 

Unfortunately I can't find the blocks that came with the rifle.  The Fecker rings did not lock in/fit the blocks very well so I purchased a set of new Stevens blocks from CPA.  I do remember the original blocks having radiused corners but do not remember if the lengths were the same.

BTW, the new CPA blocks have the same hole patterns, are of different lengths and perfectly match the lengths/widths of the bases of the Fecker rings.

Wayne

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Hi Texasmac,
Does your Stevens have the snap ejector or an extractor?
I have a Stevens 44 serial # 77,8xx that appears to have the same barrel as yours with the same markings. It also has the mottled style of case hardening which I have always assumed to indicate later production.
I have only seen one other 44 with a higher number than mine.
Does your rifle have a Stevens trademark stamp on the left side of the frame? I can't tell from the photo.

Steve   Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
No doubt, and other non-standard "irregularities" as well.  But whereas in pre-Savage catalogs, there was a full-octagon option listed ($2 extra), there was no round option specifically listed...probably because there was no demand for them.

I only referenced full round barrels because that's what the poster's rifle has.  Moreover, that such an option was not formally cataloged does not in itself mean that you couldn't order one (ah, for the days when you got what you were willing to pay for); and it certainly doesn't mean that no one ever did.  Also, the barrel looks to me considerably bigger than the standard No. 2 size - say at least a No. 3.  So, since I don't have any Savage-era catalogues, could you still under Savage order any special features at all?

Which brings me back to the buttstock.  Its considerable figure and apparently a higher-than-normal comb have already been mentioned.  But what catches my eye is what seems to be a very subtle perch-belly lower line.

But here's my main point.  We may never be able to settle whether the rifle is a pre-WWI special order, a post-WWI transitional gun (made up from left over parts), or simply a special order Savage-era gun, trying as best it can to be a Model 45.  But I do think we can all agree that it's a prime example of one reason Stevens aficionados exist.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:51pm:

BTW, the new CPA blocks have the same hole patterns, are of different lengths and perfectly match the lengths/widths of the bases of the Fecker rings.

Wayne

Hope you find original blocks. Although Stevens blocks were equal in length, the hole spacings were not equal--because they copied the spacings of Stevens screw-on, non-detachable, mounts.

Hole spacing of front block should be about 22/32s, as well as I can judge using a steel rule, but that's quite noticeably wider than the "standard" Win., Lyman, Unertl, front block.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:09pm:
So, since I don't have any Savage-era catalogues, could you still under Savage order any special features at all?

No mention of special order options in this 1927 catalog--or in the 1919 catalog, either; although that doesn't mean "special favors" could not be arranged for someone with pull at the factory!   

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:22pm:
texasmac wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 3:51pm:

Wayne

Hope you find original blocks. Although Stevens blocks were equal in length, the hole spacings were not equal--because they copied the spacings of Stevens screw-on, non-detachable, mounts.

Hole spacing of front block should be about 22/32s, as well as I can judge using a steel rule, but that's quite noticeably wider than the "standard" Win., Lyman, Unertl, front block.

I assume you mean 22/32" or 0.687", which is wider than the hole spacing of my front block.  Without pulling off the block and using a center-to-center hole caliper, my front block center-to-center hole spacing is approximately 0.555".  The rear block c-to-c spacing is approx. 0.866".  BTW, if I remember correctly, Gail at CPA indicated these were standard hole spacings for Stevens blocks.

Wayne

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:09pm:
Also, the barrel looks to me considerably bigger than the standard No. 2 size - say at least a No. 3.  
Bill Lawrence

Bill,

The barrel diameters are: 0.955" in front of the receiver and 0.810" at the muzzle.  It's exactly 26" long with a 1:16 twist.

Wayne

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
That's about a Stevens 1 1/2 barrel size, isn't it?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 5:40pm:
I assume you mean 22/32" or 0.687", which is wider than the hole spacing of my front block.  Without pulling off the block and using a center-to-center hole caliper, my front block center-to-center hole spacing is approximately 0.555".  The rear block c-to-c spacing is approx. 0.866".  BTW, if I remember correctly, Gail at CPA indicated these were standard hole spacings for Stevens blocks.

If she said that, she's mistaken.  .555 is approximately the "usual" Lyman, Fecker, etc., spacing, which derives from the size & spacing of Winchester's blocks.  The earliest Fecker's were sold in Winchester mounts (or less commonly, Stevens) then Lyman took over Winchester's production, so they became the "standard," even though Stevens' were the first detachables on the market. 

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
sureshot wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 4:02pm:
Hi Texasmac,
Does your Stevens have the snap ejector or an extractor?
I have a Stevens 44 serial # 77,8xx that appears to have the same barrel as yours with the same markings. It also has the mottled style of case hardening which I have always assumed to indicate later production.
I have only seen one other 44 with a higher number than mine.
Does your rifle have a Stevens trademark stamp on the left side of the frame? I can't tell from the photo.
Steve   Smiley

Steve,

It has an extractor & there's no trademark stamp on the left side or anyplace on the receiver/frame.

Wayne

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #30 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 6:23pm:
texasmac wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 5:40pm:

If she said that, she's mistaken.  .555 is approximately the "usual" Lyman, Fecker, etc., spacing, which derives from the size & spacing of Winchester's blocks.  The earliest Fecker's were sold in Winchester mounts (or less commonly, Stevens) then Lyman took over Winchester's production, so they became the "standard," even though Stevens' were the first detachables on the market. 

Redsetter,
What would have prevented Stevens from transitioning to the Winchester scope base hole spacing for use on the later Stevens barrels, just as Stevens had transitioned to 3/8" Winchester dovetail specs for iron sights on some later barrels?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 6:38pm:

Redsetter,
What would have prevented Stevens from transitioning to the Winchester scope base hole spacing for use on the later Stevens barrels, just as Stevens had transitioned to 3/8" Winchester dovetail specs for iron sights on some later barrels?

Nothing, except maybe the cost of re-tooling. (Also would have said, "company pride," but that, after Savage assumed control, probably ceased to exist.)   

Only way to prove it would be to find some Stevens document providing the correct spacing, but the catalogs say nothing about that.  Seems probable that installers were expected to use the blocks as a drilling template, so no measuring would be required.

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #32 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
According to Steve Earle's web site original Stevens scope block holes were spaced .700 front and .825 rear and used 5-40 screws.
I just got out the original blocks from my Stevens #45 that came from the factory with a scope (no front or rear sights) and they measure the same.
When I first got the rifle I had Steve send me new blocks with the original spacing so I could replace the original ones with some to fit my Lyman STS.

Steve   Smiley

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle. Interesting discussion. This is what makes Stevens interesting. My only comment is on the takedown screw. Never saw one on a 44 that wasn't flush. As far as options on Stevens everything I have ever seen indicates that they would prety much build one any way you wanted it if you were willing to pay for it.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
sureshot wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:59pm:
According to Steve Earle's web site original Stevens scope block holes were spaced .700 front and .825 rear and used 5-40 screws.

The Stevens blocks Steve used as his prototypes were two I sent him years ago, shortly after he began advertising in SS Exchange.      

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
I've logged a 44 at 77,454.  After that there are 414s up into the 90,000 range.

<div class=

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 9:31pm:
My only comment is on the takedown screw. Never saw one on a 44 that wasn't flush.

You're not the 1st one to make similar comments on the takedown screw.  It may be from a Favorite model which was suggested by a few, but a couple also wondered if the Favorite thread pitch was the same as required for the Model 44 and one guys thought it was different.  I have no idea since the rifle came as pictured & I don't have a Favorite to try it on.  I check the pitch if anyone is interested.

Wayne

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:06pm:

You're not the 1st one to make similar comments on the takedown screw.  It may be from a Favorite model which was suggested by a few, but a couple also wondered if the Favorite thread pitch was the same as required for the Model 44 and one guys thought it was different.

Don't know whether the pitch was different, but the Favorite screws had either a movable swivel (early) or large knurled knob (late) on the outer end.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
The threads interchange; I have just verified it.  The nose configuration is the same, too.  But the Favorite screw will not be nearly long enough unless the receiver hole is counterbored to accept the much larger head, as Favorite receivers are.  If that were done, you would have about .180" of the head protruding from the 44 receiver.  

Added:  Tried to get a photo but need better light for my obsolete Nikon Coolpix.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:48pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:36pm:
The threads interchange; I have just verified it.  The nose configuration is the same, too.  But the Favorite screw will not be nearly long enough unless the receiver hole is counterbored to accept the much larger head, as Favorite receivers are.  If that were done, you would have about .180" of the head protruding from the 44 receiver. 

The receiver hole is not counterbored.  The screw is 1.18" long.  The head is 0.4" long and the threaded shank is 0.78" long.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2018 at 12:35am by texasmac »  

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 12:16am
Print Post  
In trying to guess why the non-standard takedown screw has an overly-long head, does the head have wrench flats rather than a slot?

Bill Lawrence

PS:  Boy, do I wish I owned that rifle!

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Here's a photo of the barrel stamp.  It's not very clear but the best I could do with my wife's smart phone.  It was taken from the top of the rifle with a portion of the scope in the foreground.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2018 at 12:42am by texasmac »  

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 12:34am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 12:16am:
In trying to guess why the non-standard takedown screw has an overly-long head, does the head have wrench flats rather than a slot?
Bill Lawrence
PS:  Boy, do I wish I owned that rifle!

Bill,

No wrench flats.  The head is 0.45" dia. round with a wide slot.

Wayne

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Here's a photo of the breech.

Wayne

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Screw slot wide enough / deep enough to use a coin as a screwdriver?

<div class=

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #45 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Screw slot wide enough/deep enough to use a coin as a screwdriver?

Which to me would also explain why the head sticks out so much.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:24am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 2:34am:
Screw slot wide enough / deep enough to use a coin as a screwdriver? 

Yup, it's about 0.70" wide so a dime, penny or, better yet, a quarter will fit, but not a nickel.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:18am by texasmac »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:17am
Print Post  
I wondered for a while why the head of the takedown screw on my Enfield Mk.II revolver was so deformed, until I realized it was made to fit a one-shilling piece.   British officers always had change on their persons, because in their Army they had to buy their own meals.

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:40am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 11:17am:
British officers always had change on their persons, because in their Army they had to buy their own meals.

Yes, but in return the Army provided each of them with a personal servant ("batman").   

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Wayne,
Just found the full round barrel I have...
26" long, breech dia 0.980", muzzle dia 0.912"
The front dovetail is the old larger Stevens width, there is no rear barrel dovetail.
The barrel is drilled for scope blocks, rear block hole spacing ~0.860", front block hole spacing ~0.550", spacing between block centers ~8 5/32".
The barrel roll address looks the same as shown in the picture that you provided, small font, ~1.225" long, all capital block letters, each letter ~1/16" tall.
Caliber roll mark is    22-LONG RIFLE   , ~1.150" long, each block letter ~1/8" tall.
There is no serial # on the barrel.
One other thing that I almost missed...  at the 9 o'clock position, centered ~1/4" forward of the shoulder (barrel to receiver face) there is an extremely faint mark consisting of a circle ~5/32" in dia, with a    20    inside of it, the numbers ~1/16" tall. The mark is so faint that a few passes with 600 grit paper would probably remove it.
That faint marking makes me consider the possibility that the barrels may be from the Savage/Stevens era.

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2018 at 7:03pm by BP »  

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 5:37pm:

The barrel is drilled for scope blocks, rear block hole spacing ~0.860", front block hole spacing ~0.550", spacing between block centers ~8 5/32", #5x40 screw threads.

So, looks like Savage did change the screw spacing. Appears only rifle in Stevens/Savage catalog that would use that brl is the #414.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
And Gail at CPA was correct after all?

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 7:07pm:
And Gail at CPA was correct after all?

Absolutely not!  Except, obviously, for these late Savage-made barrels, which constitute an aberration in Stevens history. The real Stevens company died in 1915 (murdered, actually), as we all know, and what came afterwards was never more than a pale reflection of the original company.

Or do you think a genuine "Winchester" can be made in Japan?

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 5:37pm:
Wayne,
Just found the full round barrel I have...
26" long, breech dia 0.980", muzzle dia 0.912"
The front dovetail is the old larger Stevens width, there is no rear barrel dovetail.
The barrel is drilled for scope blocks, rear block hole spacing ~0.860", front block hole spacing ~0.550", spacing between block centers ~8 5/32".
The barrel roll address looks the same as shown in the picture that you provided, small font, ~1.225" long, all capital block letters, each letter ~1/16" tall.
Caliber roll mark is    22-LONG RIFLE   , ~1.150" long, each block letter ~1/8" tall.
There is no serial # on the barrel.
One other thing that I almost missed...  at the 9 o'clock position, centered ~1/4" forward of the shoulder (barrel to receiver face) there is an extremely faint mark consisting of a circle ~5/32" in dia, with a    20    inside of it, the numbers ~1/16" tall. The mark is so faint that a few passes with 600 grit paper would probably remove it.
That faint marking makes me consider the possibility that the barrels may be from the Savage/Stevens era.

Out of curiosity I drifted out the front dovetail filler & measured the width of the dovetail with a caliper to get an approximate number.  I came up with ~0.480", so it certainly is wider than the 3/8" commonly used today.  And at the same 9:00 position as on your barrel, 3/16" in front of the receiver face there is a ~4/32" dia. circle with what appears to be the left side of a P or R or a similar character in the center.  Because the character is off center to the left, it could be a 2-digit number starting with "1" but that's only a guess.  If it was an alpha character or a 2-digit number the right side has been sanded or machined off.  I forgot to mention it earlier.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:42pm by texasmac »  

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Guys,

I sure appreciate all the details and discussion.  Hopefully some of you have learned something in the process.  I certainly have, that's for sure.  It reinforces my uninformed assumption that it came from the factory as configured.  Having no background on Stevens rifle at the time, apparently I got lucky when I picked this one up.

So, is it fair to say that it’s a late Stevens 44 made by Savage as pictured sometime between 1921 & 1932 with a non-standard Savage barrel, a custom take down screw and possibly a pre-WW1 Stevens receiver?

Wayne

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
So, is it fair to say that it’s a late Stevens 44 made by Savage as pictured sometime between 1921 & 1932 with a non-standard Savage barrel, a custom take down screw and possibly a pre-WW1 Stevens receiver?

I'd add that the Swiss buttplate and the quality and outline of the buttstock move this Model 44 further out of the "standard" category and closer to approximating what was once cataloged as the Model 45 "Range Rifle".  Moreover, if you accept this rifle as a factory product, by Savage-Stevens standards, it's an uncommon if not truly rare rifle.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:10am
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:12pm:
So, is it fair to say that it’s a late Stevens 44 made by Savage as pictured sometime between 1921 & 1932 with a non-standard Savage barrel, a custom take down screw and possibly a pre-WW1 Stevens receiver.

A very reasonable assessment.  The brl would have been "non-standard" relative to the pre-WWI receiver; but at the time the gun was assembled, that Savage brl. actually was "standard."   The butt-plate, presumably, was a pre-Savage part still in the inventory, as it wasn't offered publically after Savage assumed control.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:14am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:46pm:
Moreover, if you accept this rifle as a factory product, by Savage-Stevens standards, it's an uncommon if not truly rare rifle.

Absolutely!  (With the emphasis on "rare"!)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #58 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:49am
Print Post  
My feeling on it is that the later in 44 production it might be, the better the odds are that it might be a factory built rifle that has strange changes that don't conform to what we feel are common to most Stevens 44.
Since the 44 was nearing the end of production, it's not impossible to believe someone in the Savage-Stevens factory assembled this as a special order non catalogued rifle, and sent it out the door.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Don't get me wrong here, because I enjoy the Stevens-minded on this list discussing their pets.  But, with the lack of historical evidence beyond the rifles themselves, has anybody ever tried to assemble somethng like a "guide" to these guns?
I've never owned a Stevens, and after reading the confusing (at least) things about them, I'd be fearful of buying one at anything beyond bargain basement price.* I think that something to direct a purchaser would sure be worthwhile. Just a thought here.

* I'd buy most anything if it was cheap enough Roll Eyes

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #60 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
The best resource for Stevens info that I've seen is still Grant's books. Not sure if anyone has done better work than he did. As you mentioned, the lack of documented factory data is always a issue with any brand of gun that lacks those records. Probably why Winchester and Sharps rifles are always so popular, since they have much better records.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
But, with the lack of historical evidence beyond the rifles themselves, has anybody ever tried to assemble something like a "guide" to these guns?

As already noted, Grant's 5 books have considerable information; West's book, while flawed in places, does give an overview; and Cope's book on pistols and pocket rifles would be hard to improve on, and also contains some information that can with care be applied to the contemporary production of Stevens rifles.

The bad news is that all of the above are out-of-print, some for quite some time, and can be pricey.

Is there anything else?  In my opinion, yes.  Cornell Publications has reprinted nearly all of the Stevens and Savage-Stevens catalogs, and offers them at reasonable prices through its own web site and through internet vendors such as Amazon and eBay.  And while the many discussions on this forum have shown that the catalogs are not the end-all of Stevens information, taken together they can give you a good sense of the company's production flow, especially what was standard, what was optional, and at least broadly speaking when.

In any case, their beauty and the high regard that many "old-timers" showed for Stevens single-shots are alone enough to keep at least me looking above the "bargain basements"!

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2018 at 2:40pm by Bill Lawrence »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 12:37pm:
The best resource for Stevens info that I've seen is still Grant's books. Not sure if anyone has done better work than he did.

Overall, I agree, but he was better at collecting info than organizing it; but that was the unavoidable result of his continuing research over many yrs. What's needed is an editor to pull it all together, eliminate inconsistencies, and condense his verbose style. 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 1:29pm:
Cope's book on pistols and pocket rifles would be hard to improve on, and also contains some information that can with care be applied to the contemporary production of Stevens rifles.

His little summary of Stevens' corporate history is just about as complete as surviving records will permit.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #64 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Perhaps I didn't go far enough with my post above. What I'd had in mind was something like the old pocket guides that once were so informative for purchasers of Colt single actions. They'd have things like serial, barrel and frame marks, grip type and whatnot that'd have been seen in the various eras of manufacture. Helped to spot replaced cylinders and barrels, for instance.
I don't suppose it'd completely clear the waters, having such a guide, but with the zillion of possible 'real' combos, being able to weed out a few of the incorrect assemblies might make these rifles look better to some folks. Sure couldn't hurt, huh?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 2:18pm:
Perhaps I didn't go far enough with my post above. What I'd had in mind was something like the old pocket guides that once were so informative for purchasers of Colt single actions. They'd have things like serial, barrel and frame marks, grip type and whatnot that'd have been seen in the various eras of manufacture. Helped to spot replaced cylinders and barrels, for instance.
I don't suppose it'd completely clear the waters, having such a guide, but with the zillion of possible 'real' combos, being able to weed out a few of the incorrect assemblies might make these rifles look better to some folks. Sure couldn't hurt, huh?

Honestly, it isn't that complicated.  Guns as "unorthodox" as the subject of this discussion don't come along very often.  The fact that Stevens added serial nos. to major parts eliminates most confusion. And most Stevens models just aren't valuable enough to provoke the faking that goes on with Colts.

VASTLY more complicated, for ex., with Winchesters!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Well, Red, you may think that it's uncomplicated, but from the conversations we get just here, it sure seems like it is to this uninitiated feller. Maybe I'm just slow, but I can keep most of the Winchester and Colt iterations at least generally in order, but them Stevens guns have always cornfused me. Glad we're havin' fun with whatever works for us, eh? Smiley

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #67 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
It would be a good question to submit to Tom Rowe, and ask him why no one has gotten around to writing a definitive Stevens book.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #68 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Stevens are definately a complicated subject. I also wish there was one comprehensive reference on Stevens. I have accumulated prety much everything written on them that I could find and still adding to the collection. The old catalogs help and everytim I find any written info I cut it out and keep it or photocopy it. Have quite a file so far. Thought about trying to put all the info together but the task would probably take more time than I have left on this earth if I worked on it 24-7. I spent a lot of time trying to gather info on the Stevens Bisley Model several years back and that was jus one model, altough quite rare.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 1:27am
Print Post  
John Dutcher has accumulated a massive collection of information,  photographs, catalogs, etc on Stevens firearms with the intent of writing a book on the subject, after completion of his book on Ballards. Unfortunately, the time comes to us all, that we can't possibly accomplish all we intended. The time involved to write a book such as the Ballard book,not just a table top picture book, but also a history book that is both entertaining and informative, is a major undertaking. Most have no idea what is involved, and that would be as much or more labor with a subject like Stevens. In reality a labor of love, with very little monetary reward. Hopefully, someone has the love and interest to invest in such an undertaking.  Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #70 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 3:16am
Print Post  
Wayne,

I have a Stevens Model 47 with a 44 action, 6:00 extractor and .28-30 barrel.  SN is in the 28xxx range.  Stevens only made that combo 1900 to 1903.  That will give you a second reference in time.

With Stevens, almost anything comes up, not necessarily by special order.  I have another Model 47EX, factory tang & globe front, sorta-Schuetzen modified stock and lever SN in the 27xxx range.  The barrel is factory marked 25-20 and it is chambered for the SS cartridge.  But the twist, bore & groove are for the .25 Stevens rimfire.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #71 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 9:19am
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 1:27am:
In reality a labor of love, with very little monetary reward.

Not only that, but the only way he got the book published exactly the way he wished it to be was by paying for it himself.  (Although, with the proceeds of his record-setting auction at his disposal, that should not have been too difficult.)  Doubt he could have found any publisher willing to accept the financial risk of such a lavish production.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #72 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:18am
Print Post  
A book on Stevens could be done to give generalities, and common traits. But it would be impossible without factory records to put together a book that truly covers every possible configuration. Guns like the one presented in this post may contradict what is generally accepted and that doesn't mean they're wrong or not factory.
Often when a book comes out that's supposed to be the end all to answer all questions, it either isn't or it simply creates more confusion by not addressing possible oddities. I think John Dutcher did a better job of covering Ballard rifles that never had any factory records than anyone has done previously. He not only did a huge amount of investigation, but also documented all sorts of strange features and examined guns to determine if those features were factory or gunsmith changes. But he had decades of research involved in writing the Ballard book too! I looked at his stack of documents at one of the Denver gun shows back 15-16 years ago, and he could have easily put together 4 books, or one book 4 times as large!
I think there's plenty of collectors with a vast knowledge on Stevens single shots, but not sure many have accumulated the documentation Dutcher did in preparation to write his book. It might take one dedicated individual to get together with like minded Stevens fans, and assemble all of their knowledge into one book. And then hope someone will finance it and make it happen.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #73 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Wayne, I don't know a ton about these rifles, but find it middling strange that there's no "EX" stamped on the front of the action. Picture of the front of my #45 range rifle - serial no. 229xx

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:30am
Print Post  
This may not be the politest question but I do think it's a necessary one:  What will happen to all of Mr. Dutcher's Stevens material?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #75 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:35am
Print Post  
As a few members know, I've been building a database of Model 44s, Originally just trying to correlate serial numbers to feature changes from 1894 to WW1.  The .28-30 that Waterman just mentioned is invaluable, because it puts down a time marker of 1900-1903.  I'll never be able to write that book, either, but I'm willing, even anxious, to share.    Got over 100 so far, by trolling Gunbroker listings, Grant, and more than a few which have been contributed by forum members.  Always looking for new entries. 

Have expanded to the post-war period, to include progeny such as the 404/414/417, but the data density is still thin.

Something I find very interesting is the Stevens stamp on the left side of the receiver starts at about 70,000.  

Food for thought.

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 9:19am:
rkba2nd wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 1:27am:
In reality a labor of love, with very little monetary reward.

Not only that, but the only way he got the book published exactly the way he wished it to be was by paying for it himself.  (Although, with the proceeds of his record-setting auction at his disposal, that should not have been too difficult.)  Doubt he could have found any publisher willing to accept the financial risk of such a lavish production.

No question it's a labor of love.  A huge amount of time is required to research and write up the material and it’s highly unlikely the author will ever make a profit considering the time & resources spent.  But it's relatively easy these days to publish a book using one of the many “vanity press” companies that utilizes digital printing technology, which is the approach I took with my Browning BPCR book.

Depending on the book size, page count, color (B&W or color photos), cover design, one can have the 1st batch of 25 hardbound books printed for around $1,000, possibly less.  And that includes the fee for obtaining an ISBN, bar code and Library of Congress number.  I started out ordering 25 books at a time, progressed to 50 books and finally to 100 book orders.  Other considerations must include the time and effort required to “market” the book, setup ordering methods, and package and ship orders.  And unless the author finds a way to constantly “stay in the eye” of potential buyers, book sales quickly dies a slow death.  Amazon.com is one method to list books but they take a huge bite out of the profits.  I’ve sold a few books through Amazon and on GunBroker, but the vast majority has been though my website ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links))

After updating the material twice (currently on the 3rd Edition) and growing the page count from 249 to 418 pages, I’ve shipped well over 1000 copies and the net profits don’t come close to covering the time spent.  But the personal satisfaction benefits make it worthwhile.

Wayne

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #77 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
jfeldman wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:25am:
Wayne, I don't know a ton about these rifles, but find it middling strange that there's no "EX" stamped on the front of the action. Picture of the front of my #45 range rifle - serial no. 229xx

No consistency to the application (and hence, meaning) of that mysterious "EX" mark; can be found--or not--on almost any model.   

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:18am:
I looked at his stack of documents at one of the Denver gun shows back 15-16 years ago, and he could have easily put together 4 books, or one book 4 times as large!

Obviously had the good sense to realize that there was a practical limit to the amount most Ballard collectors would pay!  Had the book been only twice as large & twice as expensive, I wouldn't have it. 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #79 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:30am:
This may not be the politest question but I do think it's a necessary one:  What will happen to all of Mr. Dutcher's Stevens material?

Who knows (except him), but, as he sometimes contributed short pieces to the Journal, there was a time when it might well have been donated to ASSRA Archives. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #80 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 12:28pm:
marlinguy wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:18am:
I looked at his stack of documents at one of the Denver gun shows back 15-16 years ago, and he could have easily put together 4 books, or one book 4 times as large!

Obviously had the good sense to realize that there was a practical limit to the amount most Ballard collectors would pay!  Had the book been only twice as large & twice as expensive, I wouldn't have it. 

I think it would have easily sold to Ballard collectors if it was twice as big, and twice the original price. But I think it sold to many others who weren't Ballard collectors simply because of it's size and price.
Collectors of specific firearms are much more likely to pay higher prices and get more data than those who simply might have a passing interest. I never planned to pay what Warren Greatbatch's two volume Hartford Pope set cost either. But once I purchased mine I went straight to a book seller at the same show and bought the set. I just saw no reason to own it if I didn't own a Hartford Pope.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #81 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:30am:

Bill Lawrence

Guessing it will end up in the hands of a Stevens collector, or one of John's many single shot rifle friends. Heck, I'll ask him in May when I see him! I'd love to have all his Ballard data he didn't put in his book!

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #82 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I hope somebody finds out.  If nothing else, considering the stellar job Mr. Dutcher did on Ballards, the person who does finally decide to do a Stevens book would be years ahead if he had at least access to that data.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #83 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Speaking of book size & price versus what's too big and too costly.  I just picked up a copy of the relatively new Bruce N. Canfield book on the M1 Garand Rifle.  It contains 872 8.5x11" pages and weighs just under 6.5 lbs.  Now that's a hefty book pushing the almost too big catagory.   

It contains 2,150 photos/illustrations, many in color.  Talk about a lot of research.  Bases on the amount of research & time I spent on my book, I can't fathom the amount of research and untold hours that Bruce spent putting it together.

BTW, the price was $79.32 shipped.

Wayne

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
I have been considering giving all of my Stevens research material the the ASSRA on my passing. Part of the problem is having it all orginized in one place in a manner that would make it simplid for my family to pack it up and ship it to them. Most of what I have is out there but not necessarily in one place.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #85 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 8:59pm:
Speaking of book size & price versus what's too big and too costly.  I just picked up a copy of the relatively new Bruce N. Canfield book on the M1 Garand Rifle.  It contains 872 8.5x11" pages and weighs just under 6.5 lbs.  Now that's a hefty book pushing the almost too big catagory. 

And I've always thought Brophy at 600+ p. was a little too much of a good thing!  Rather glad, at this point, I never found the M1 I couldn't live without!  (Actually, I found it, just couldn't afford it.)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:18pm:
I have been considering giving all of my Stevens research material the the ASSRA on my passing. Part of the problem is having it all orginized in one place in a manner that would make it simplid for my family to pack it up and ship it to them.

Problem could be a lot worse...because, while I've always planned the same thing, there's no family to do anything! 

IP Logged

dennis g
Participating Member

Reply #87 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Uscra112, I have a 44 no. 36982 25/20SS. It has the J Stevens A &T Co. stamp with boxed x's on each end. It has a 6 o'clock extractor. Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #88 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Uscra112:

I have a .25-20 SS Stevens Model 44 serial no. 047427. 
It has the J Stevens A &T Co. stamp on top of a No. 2 barrel. 
It has a 6 o'clock extractor.
It has a No.1 Lyman Combination (second variation) rear tang sight.

Preseently up for sale on Canadian Gun Nutz:

« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2018 at 4:06pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Dave.   I already had a line for this one, but didn't know what sights.   What is that front sight?  I can't make it out.

<div class=

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #90 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
I have an original Stevens No. 203 Rocky Mountain front blade sight (from another rifle).

It presently has a replica Lyman No. 8 Sporting Windage sight with a Beech style flipping blade or post.
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2018 at 8:09pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #91 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Neat.  Didn't even know that existed.  I'm way behind the curve learning about sights.   

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #92 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
From Nick Stroebel: Old Gunsights and Rifle Scopes:

Lyman Sights

Stevens sights
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2018 at 8:40pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #93 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
If you know, who is the source of the reproduction Lyman No. 8 sights?  Thanks!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #94 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
No I do not now who replicated the No. 8 sight.
I assume it is a replica because it is in new condition; but possibly it is an original that has never been touched or used.
Of course the original rear sight shows wear from moving the sights up and down.

The Sears 1908 catalogue indicated you could purchase a Stevens 44 with Lyman sights.
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2018 at 10:33pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #95 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
My reproduction of the 1907 Stevens catalog offers Lyman sights as well.  Even looks like most of the cuts in the page you posted actually originated there.  Or from a common source, anyway.  

Only a very few of the 44s I've logged have Lymans. Which probably proves exactly nothing, except to explain why I've had little cause to learn anything about them. 

<div class=

IP Logged

chowboy

Reply #96 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 10:46am
Print Post  
I'm new to the forum, and so far have learned there is no date of manufacture info on Stevens 44s.  But I would request informed speculation from the members on the following...  I picked up a slightly rough model 44 1/2 (so called -- I don't know enough to tell) in cal 32-40 (!).  Shoots well.  Half octagon heavy barrel, matching 4-digit serial numbers (38XX) on receiver and barrel.  Has the old style J. Stevens stamp with Chicopee Mass and April '94 patent date on top of the barrel.  I thought most of these had 5-digit s/n.  Anybody got a thought?  thanks.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #97 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 11:23am
Print Post  
[quote author=575E53565D4A4B3F0 link=1521427648/96#96 date=1521989209]I picked up a slightly rough model 44 1/2 (so called -- I don't know enough to tell) in cal 32-40 (!).[/quote]

If the block drops straight down, it's a 44-1/2, if it swings in an arc from a pivot near the front of the action, it's a 44.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #98 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Mar 24th, 2018 at 8:53pm:

I assume it is a replica because it is in new condition...

Very sound assumption.  Could be one of those high-quality repros made several yrs ago in Ukraine by Parts Unknown.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #99 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 11:34am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Mar 24th, 2018 at 9:38pm:
Only a very few of the 44s I've logged have Lymans.

Maybe because ordering the Lyman added an entire 50 CENTS above the cost of the Stevens #102 tang sight!   

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #100 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm new to the forum, and so far have learned there is no date of manufacture info on Stevens 44s.  But I would request informed speculation from the members on the following...  I picked up a slightly rough model 44 1/2 (so called -- I don't know enough to tell) in cal 32-40 (!).  Shoots well.  Half octagon heavy barrel, matching 4-digit serial numbers (38XX) on receiver and barrel.  Has the old style J. Stevens stamp with Chicopee Mass and April '94 patent date on top of the barrel.  I thought most of these had 5-digit s/n.  Anybody got a thought?  thanks.

Welcome, welcome.   You are correctly informed that there are no factory records for Stevens.  All destroyed.  

The 44 1/2 model did not retain the Model 44s s/n sequence.  So there are many with 4 digit numbers, and ought to be more with three or even two, I suppose.  (I've never been lucky enough to own or even see one such.)   

Manufacture started in 1903, and the last ones were made 1915/16 just before the company was hijacked by Westinghouse for war production.   

The Shuttleworths, of CPA Rifles, are about the most knowledgeable source on the subject.  They make replicas, and also parts for the originals.    (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

<div class=

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #101 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Do the 44 1/2 rifles have an 1894 patent date?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #102 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Mar 25th, 2018 at 2:53pm:
Do the 44 1/2 rifles have an 1894 patent date?

Not ones I've got, but that of course doesn't include them all.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #103 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
If he's got a 44 with that serial number, it's real early and I want to know all about it for the log.

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #104 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Mar 24th, 2018 at 8:53pm:
No I do not now who replicated the No. 8 sight.
I assume it is a replica because it is in new condition; but possibly it is an original that has never been touched or used.
Of course the original rear sight shows wear from moving the sights up and down.

The Sears 1908 catalogue indicated you could purchase a Stevens 44 with Lyman sights.

Didn't Sergio have copies of the #8 made when he was selling under Parts Unknown?

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #105 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
And if it is a 44 in 32-40 does it have the lugged breechblock?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #106 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Mar 25th, 2018 at 6:53pm:
And if it is a 44 in 32-40 does it have the lugged breechblock?

It should--not that there aren't exceptions to most of the "rules." But if you've got it, can't you tell?

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #107 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
I could, but that question was directed to the owner, Chowboy.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #108 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Mar 25th, 2018 at 7:46pm:
I could, but that question was directed to the owner, Chowboy.

Sorry--lost track of who had what.

PS--Reread his original post. Looks like the gun he bought was not a 44-1/2 as mis-described to him, since it has the '94 pat date.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #109 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 1:10am
Print Post  
I have logged as many .32-40s without the lugged hammer as with, for what that's worth. 

<div class=

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #110 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 11:04am
Print Post  
That's interesting. Were the lugged ones early or late or mixed in?

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #111 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
More or less mixed.  There's two lugged hammers in the log in the low four digit numbers, then none until a cluster of four shows up at 27xxx, all .32-40s, then after that its one at 29679 and one more at 46107.   

I think they may be under-counted due to the fact that I'm mainly getting data from common online broker sites.  The high grade ones made for Schuetzen duty and chambered .32-40 are IMHO more likely to sell at real auctions like Cowans, and I have not been trolling those sites for data.   

I can actually only point to one .32-40 that definitely doesn't have the lugged hammer.   The rest of my entries that don't tick the "yes" box are ???  Most Gunbroker sellers don't know what a lugged hammer is, and/or won't bother answering my queries when I see a .32-40 for sale.  Two or three specimens I need to annoy an ASSRA member to verify.   

One curious factoid that emerges is that so many lugged hammers appear well above the 16000 range where the central extractor appears.  According to catalogs, that was 1901-1903.  But in 1903 they quit offering the 44 action for any centerfire larger than .32-20.   Now can this be?  My hypotheses are too sketchy to be worth recording.

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #112 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Do you have my #10551 (top), lugged hammer, 7 o'clock extractor logged? It came with a #3 barrel.

My other one is a 44/45 DST, 6 o'clock, lugged hammer #18040. This one came with a #2 barrel. Only the action is original on this one.

Both rifles are originally 32/40. The lower one is now 22RF.

Quote:
I can actually only point to one .32-40 that definitely doesn't have the lugged hammer.

Could the above, have been a re-barreled one, using a Stevens barrel?

Frank
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2018 at 1:24pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #113 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Yes, Frank, but that was one of those where the presence of the hammer lug wasn't confirmed.  Thanks!   I've updated the matrix.  

I see it has a Lyman tang....what is the front sight?  And I assume it has the usual period barrel rollstamp?   

Phil

I did not have 18040 logged at all.  It's a 45 with DST in .32-40.  Again, what were the original sights?   

I haven't been logging barrel weights.  Ought to, but data would be very hard to come by.  Online sellers are even more ignorant about that.  
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2018 at 1:30pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #114 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
10551, had the Rocky Mountain front sight, as seen in the 1898 catalog. The rear sight was actually a #1, I changed out the staff, from a #2 and put a 7A on the front, when I was shooting it.

The 45 was in sad shape when I bought it, in 1986. It had a broken stock but, the #2 Schuetzen butt plate was still there. The #2 barrel wasn't any good inside (in those days, it wasn't worth anything) so, I threw it away and don't remember any sights on it. There wasn't a rear sight on the tang, either.

Added:
My guess on the 45, is that it was bought for either a woman or a young man, because of the #2 barrel. I'm sure that it must have had some fairly good sights, at least a #2 tang and one of the hooded front sights, possibly with wind-gauge. We'll never know Sad

Frank
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2018 at 2:10pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint