Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 Manufacturing Date? (Read 33251 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 Manufacturing Date?
Reply #75 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:35am
Print Post  
As a few members know, I've been building a database of Model 44s, Originally just trying to correlate serial numbers to feature changes from 1894 to WW1.  The .28-30 that Waterman just mentioned is invaluable, because it puts down a time marker of 1900-1903.  I'll never be able to write that book, either, but I'm willing, even anxious, to share.    Got over 100 so far, by trolling Gunbroker listings, Grant, and more than a few which have been contributed by forum members.  Always looking for new entries. 

Have expanded to the post-war period, to include progeny such as the 404/414/417, but the data density is still thin.

Something I find very interesting is the Stevens stamp on the left side of the receiver starts at about 70,000.  

Food for thought.

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 9:19am:
rkba2nd wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 1:27am:
In reality a labor of love, with very little monetary reward.

Not only that, but the only way he got the book published exactly the way he wished it to be was by paying for it himself.  (Although, with the proceeds of his record-setting auction at his disposal, that should not have been too difficult.)  Doubt he could have found any publisher willing to accept the financial risk of such a lavish production.

No question it's a labor of love.  A huge amount of time is required to research and write up the material and it’s highly unlikely the author will ever make a profit considering the time & resources spent.  But it's relatively easy these days to publish a book using one of the many “vanity press” companies that utilizes digital printing technology, which is the approach I took with my Browning BPCR book.

Depending on the book size, page count, color (B&W or color photos), cover design, one can have the 1st batch of 25 hardbound books printed for around $1,000, possibly less.  And that includes the fee for obtaining an ISBN, bar code and Library of Congress number.  I started out ordering 25 books at a time, progressed to 50 books and finally to 100 book orders.  Other considerations must include the time and effort required to “market” the book, setup ordering methods, and package and ship orders.  And unless the author finds a way to constantly “stay in the eye” of potential buyers, book sales quickly dies a slow death.  Amazon.com is one method to list books but they take a huge bite out of the profits.  I’ve sold a few books through Amazon and on GunBroker, but the vast majority has been though my website ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links))

After updating the material twice (currently on the 3rd Edition) and growing the page count from 249 to 418 pages, I’ve shipped well over 1000 copies and the net profits don’t come close to covering the time spent.  But the personal satisfaction benefits make it worthwhile.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #77 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
jfeldman wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:25am:
Wayne, I don't know a ton about these rifles, but find it middling strange that there's no "EX" stamped on the front of the action. Picture of the front of my #45 range rifle - serial no. 229xx

No consistency to the application (and hence, meaning) of that mysterious "EX" mark; can be found--or not--on almost any model.   

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:18am:
I looked at his stack of documents at one of the Denver gun shows back 15-16 years ago, and he could have easily put together 4 books, or one book 4 times as large!

Obviously had the good sense to realize that there was a practical limit to the amount most Ballard collectors would pay!  Had the book been only twice as large & twice as expensive, I wouldn't have it. 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #79 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:30am:
This may not be the politest question but I do think it's a necessary one:  What will happen to all of Mr. Dutcher's Stevens material?

Who knows (except him), but, as he sometimes contributed short pieces to the Journal, there was a time when it might well have been donated to ASSRA Archives. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #80 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 12:28pm:
marlinguy wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:18am:
I looked at his stack of documents at one of the Denver gun shows back 15-16 years ago, and he could have easily put together 4 books, or one book 4 times as large!

Obviously had the good sense to realize that there was a practical limit to the amount most Ballard collectors would pay!  Had the book been only twice as large & twice as expensive, I wouldn't have it. 

I think it would have easily sold to Ballard collectors if it was twice as big, and twice the original price. But I think it sold to many others who weren't Ballard collectors simply because of it's size and price.
Collectors of specific firearms are much more likely to pay higher prices and get more data than those who simply might have a passing interest. I never planned to pay what Warren Greatbatch's two volume Hartford Pope set cost either. But once I purchased mine I went straight to a book seller at the same show and bought the set. I just saw no reason to own it if I didn't own a Hartford Pope.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #81 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 11:30am:
This may not be the politest question but I do think it's a necessary one:  What will happen to all of Mr. Dutcher's Stevens material?

Bill Lawrence

Guessing it will end up in the hands of a Stevens collector, or one of John's many single shot rifle friends. Heck, I'll ask him in May when I see him! I'd love to have all his Ballard data he didn't put in his book!

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #82 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
I hope somebody finds out.  If nothing else, considering the stellar job Mr. Dutcher did on Ballards, the person who does finally decide to do a Stevens book would be years ahead if he had at least access to that data.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #83 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Speaking of book size & price versus what's too big and too costly.  I just picked up a copy of the relatively new Bruce N. Canfield book on the M1 Garand Rifle.  It contains 872 8.5x11" pages and weighs just under 6.5 lbs.  Now that's a hefty book pushing the almost too big catagory.   

It contains 2,150 photos/illustrations, many in color.  Talk about a lot of research.  Bases on the amount of research & time I spent on my book, I can't fathom the amount of research and untold hours that Bruce spent putting it together.

BTW, the price was $79.32 shipped.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
I have been considering giving all of my Stevens research material the the ASSRA on my passing. Part of the problem is having it all orginized in one place in a manner that would make it simplid for my family to pack it up and ship it to them. Most of what I have is out there but not necessarily in one place.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #85 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 8:59pm:
Speaking of book size & price versus what's too big and too costly.  I just picked up a copy of the relatively new Bruce N. Canfield book on the M1 Garand Rifle.  It contains 872 8.5x11" pages and weighs just under 6.5 lbs.  Now that's a hefty book pushing the almost too big catagory. 

And I've always thought Brophy at 600+ p. was a little too much of a good thing!  Rather glad, at this point, I never found the M1 I couldn't live without!  (Actually, I found it, just couldn't afford it.)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 10:18pm:
I have been considering giving all of my Stevens research material the the ASSRA on my passing. Part of the problem is having it all orginized in one place in a manner that would make it simplid for my family to pack it up and ship it to them.

Problem could be a lot worse...because, while I've always planned the same thing, there's no family to do anything! 

IP Logged

dennis g
Participating Member

Reply #87 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Uscra112, I have a 44 no. 36982 25/20SS. It has the J Stevens A &T Co. stamp with boxed x's on each end. It has a 6 o'clock extractor. Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #88 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Uscra112:

I have a .25-20 SS Stevens Model 44 serial no. 047427. 
It has the J Stevens A &T Co. stamp on top of a No. 2 barrel. 
It has a 6 o'clock extractor.
It has a No.1 Lyman Combination (second variation) rear tang sight.

Preseently up for sale on Canadian Gun Nutz:

« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2018 at 4:06pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Dave.   I already had a line for this one, but didn't know what sights.   What is that front sight?  I can't make it out.

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint