Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens 44 Manufacturing Date? (Read 33246 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Stevens 44 Manufacturing Date?
Mar 18th, 2018 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Guys,

I discussed this rifle a bit and posted a photo of it here back in late 2013 shortly after purchasing it.  By all indications it’s a model 44 and came from the factory with some upgraded features such as the heavy round 26" target barrel, wider stock and Schuetzen buttplate.  With the forearm removed & the receiver facing forward, "44" is stamped into the right front face and "O" or "0" is stamped into the left front face. With the exception of the Fecker 10X scope and possibly the large barrel locking screw (probably off a Favorite model), everything is original with matching serial numbers on the receiver (lower tang), barrel (in front of the forearm), stock and butt plate.

Since the barrel never had a rear sight (no dovetail exists) I understand the rifle was originally shipped from the factory with a tang sight.  The front sight was removed when the scope was added.  The barrel roll stamping reads: J. STEVENS ARMS COMPANY.over CHICOPEE FALL. MASS.U.S.A. on the right side of the barrel 1.25” in front of the receiver and just above the forearm, and 22-L.R. on the opposite (left) side of the barrel.  A shooter familiar with Stevens rifles indicated it was most likely drilled and tapped for a scope by the factory since the roll stamping is not on top of the barrel.

The main reason for posting this thread is to tie down the manufacturing date if possible, or at least narrow it down a bit.  

I did send $20 to Savage Arms Historian John T. Callahan to check the history of the rifle, which was a waste of money.  What I received was a nice generalized letter on the Stevens Model 44 but no specific info on this rifle.

The roll stamping on the barrel puts it in the 1912 to 1935 range.  The 5-digit serial number is 310XX, suggesting to some that it’s a late model Stevens made by Savage, whatever that implies.

Due to the lack of company records, I know it’s likely impossible to determine the exact year of manufacturing but would appreciate any help you Stevens’ experts can provide to narrow it down.  Thanks.

BTW, it's a tack driver.  I've done very well with it out to 200 meters in .22BPCR competition, but I had to loose the scope spring and Schuetzen buttplate in order to comply with the rules.

Wayne
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2018 at 10:58pm by texasmac »  

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Stevens 44 Manufacturing Date?
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Here is the stamp on my Stevens 44 indicating production after April 17, 1894 to 1915.
Stevens never produced rifles 1915 to 1920.
This stamp was used until the new stamp "J. STEVENS ARMS COMPANY" was adopted after 1920.
They quit making the Model 44 in 1932.

There are no records of dates of manufacture for the Stevens based on serial number.
You can only tell if they were produced during the time of the old stamp or during the period they used the new stamp.
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:18pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dave,

That narrows it down a bit to between 1921 & 1932.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Wayne,
Do you happen to have a picture of the barrel address roll-marking on that round barrel that you can post?
I remember some time back when quite a few Stevens heavy round barrels in 22RF were circulating around the gun shows, and that they appeared to be in brand new uninstalled condition. A lot of folks picked them up for future rebarreling projects. I remember the font being small, and located at about the 2 o'clock position, and think I still have one stashed to compare the barrel address with.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:01am
Print Post  
I'm not so sanguine about the barrel rollstamp on this one having much meaning viz. date.  I've logged quote a lot of 44s up into the 50,000 range that have the older rollstamp, and the lowest s/n I have found with the new style text is #47043, (in my collection).  Another factoid is that Model 404s and Model 414s don't start to appear in the s/n sequence until around 60,000, and both of those start appearing in catalogs circa 1912/13. 

My thought is that this is a pre-WW1 frame that was rebarreled at a later date, and fitted with that lovely wood.

My nickel's worth.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:11am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:41am
Print Post  
texasmac wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 10:47pm:
A shooter familiar with Stevens rifles indicated it was most likely drilled and tapped for a scope by the factory since the roll stamping is not on top of the barrel.

I've seen un-tapped barrels with the roll stamp off-set, so, unfortunately, this isn't a certain indicator of factory scope-mounting. Neither was the rear sight slot necessarily omitted (except on models 47 & above) when the factory supplied a tang sight.  

But these considerations are moot, because as uscra pointed out, I think the barrel is of much later production than the frame...either because an old frame was sent back to be rebarreled, or because an old (pre-Savage) frame was found in a parts bin & assembled to the new barrel.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Mar 18th, 2018 at 11:01pm:

Stevens never produced rifles 1915 to 1920.

Not quite correct, as I have a 1919 catalog. 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Looking at your photo again, the unusually high comb looks like the buttstock was shaped with scope-use in mind. Are the blocks of the Stevens pattern, equal in length (unlike Winchester, etc.), and with noticeably radiused corners?

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:20am
Print Post  
The barrel locking screw, is a standard feature on all 44's. They had a slotted head.

To me, the butt stock, looks like the optional one, at could be had on the model 45/44, with the #3 butt plate.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:23am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:20am:
The barrel locking screw, is a standard feature on all 44's. They had a slotted head.

Frank

Most I've seen had a flush head screw, and not protruding down like Texasmac's 44 does.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:25am
Print Post  
My two 44's are no's 50xx and 322xx in 25-20 SS and 22 LR with both having the same stamp J. Stevens A & T Co. with the boxed X. 

Can you extrapolate the same stamps for the Favorites?  I have observed several locations for the stamps on them, earliest on the top flat to the rear of the sight, then a few with the stamp forward of the sight more or less corresponding to the use of the stamped rear sight with the flat elevator piece, then the address on the right upper flat, then later a font change to a less bold font.  The 7 o'clock extractors all seem to have the boxed X and the earlier 6 o'clock ones as well.  The X disappeared during the wide t-shaped extractors and the barrel tightening nut "experiments".  The later 1915's with round and octagonal barrels seem to be all kinds of locations, difficult to determine the chronological sequence of them.

James

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:37am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:23am:

Frank

Most I've seen had a flush head screw, and not protruding down like Texasmac's 44 does.

Never seen one on which the screw wasn't flush with the frame, assuming it's screwed all the way in.   

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Since the owner doesn't mention it, I assume the rifle doesn't have the SVG-in-a-circle "proofmark", which together with the case hardening pattern makes me support at least the "old frame" part of the above comments.  However, if memory serves, one could early-on special-order round barrels; if so, I won't stick my neck out further and call the barrel "replaced". (Though I will stick it out far enough to agree with Redsetter about the takedown screw.)

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:37am:
marlinguy wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 11:23am:

Frank

Never seen one on which the screw wasn't flush with the frame, assuming it's screwed all the way in.   

The only ones I've seen that weren't flush appeared to be custom built screws to make them thumb knobs for easier takedown.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:00pm:
  However, if memory serves, one could early-on special-order round barrels...

No doubt, and other non-standard "irregularities" as well.  But whereas in pre-Savage catalogs, there was a full-octagon option listed ($2 extra), there was no round option specifically listed...probably because there was no demand for them.

However, Savage obviously looked at things differently, offering only round brls on 44s made under their name, so far as the 1927 catalog description is concerned, that is.  Strangely enough, a full octagon option was available for Favorites!  Wonder if this was because a stockpile of such barrels had already been turned out before the change of ownership.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint