Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 welding (Read 1243 times)
Idealshooter
Participating Member

Stevens 44 welding
Mar 25th, 2024 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Has anyone had any luck welding a stevens 44 I have one with a broken upper tang

GTalk  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 welding
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Stevens receivers are malleable iron.  Malleable is also called "nodular" iron, because a large portion of the carbon that was in the original casting is sequestered in nodules that don't play any role in the crystal structure of the metal. Hence the metal behaves like a mild steel.  Fusion welding releases this carbon, and the melt zone transforms to a very high carbon steel, hard and brittle.

I've read of a guy who claims he can anneal this away, but I'm skeptical.   

I also have one that needs repair, and if I ever get the round tuit it will be fixtured up and brazed.  The right kinds of braze alloy are as strong or stronger than the parent metal will be.  Keep the join line thin and it will hardly show at all.  You won't be able to color-case the brazed assembly, though.

<div class=

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 9:22am
Print Post  
I welded a Lower Tang.  Someone else had TIG Welded where it broke and then proceeded to grind the weld and Tang narrower.  Plain old wire feed with a Preheat.  Couldn't get the TIG area Pit free even though I welded and gouged out the pits 3 times.  Truth be told, I'm not a Welder, so I practiced on Flat Stock for 7 hours to get the Bead to Buldge over.  Maybe ignorance is bliss, maybe I just got lucky.  Whish I had a better idea of what I did.
David

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 10:07am
Print Post  
TIG welding will leave it as hard as glass. Tried to anneal and not much luck. A torch and bailing wire might be the best option.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 10:36am
Print Post  
they do make cast iron rod for gas welding I do know it's hard to find. I have never tryed it. ken

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 10:58am
Print Post  
I would do as Phil suggested. Braze it and live with the joint line.

My Gramps had perfected the joining of crap metal like aluminum and pot metal way back when everyone said it couldn't be done. He was a wizard with a torch, but even he paled at the thought of welding iron, cast or malleable, and went straight to brazing.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Before I did anything I would talk to Peter Nagel at Restorative Welding 815-732-1249 and get his opinion.  Once another material is introduced it may be near impossible for him to fix.  He welds on the old gun all the time and will give the answer, good or bad. I’ve had him fix a few things, and while not cheap, it’s correct when I get it back.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
I fixed my Model 45 that had a broken upper tang successfully. It was broken at the front, tang sight screw hole. 

Before I retired as a machinist, I worked at a place that also did welding and talk to one of the welders about fixing it. He suggested high nickle rod so, I made a jig, with a v notch to hole the tang inline with the frame for welding.

It turned out well and is probably stronger than the rest of the frame but, the weld area, would most likely show up if CCH, though I think it would survive the hardening process.

I wasn't there when he welded it so, I don't know if he preheated and post heated it but, I know the weld area has to be peened after welding. A good welding shop could do it successfully. 

That said, there is a way to do it and make it the same as the basic parent metal. They repair cast iron cylinder heads this way.

Heat it to it's critical temp (red hot) and while heated, you weld it with a oyx/acet torch, with cast iron rod and slow cool (anneal). 

The problem is that not many shops know this process.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2024 at 1:57pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Second BobW's recommendation of Peter Nagel. He just welded the top tang on the #2 rolling block I offered in the classifieds. I see him as inexpensive for what he does, but that may be because I trained for welding so understand what he did. I'm glad I had him do it, he is much better than me!

Unfortunately, I now need to build a #2 rolling block .22, a project I have no need nor desire for
Huh

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Many years ago, met a gentleman, Mike Mc Killip, who did high tech welding for Ames research center on the old Moffat Field naval air base at the south end of San Fransisco Bay near Alviso. For enjoyment he built special clutches for Harley Davidson drag racers. I honestly believe he could weld anything. I had him weld up umpteen pits on a cast Ballard frame for a friend, and after surface grinding and filing they were undetectable. He also welded some steel plate to a cast k&E adjustable stand so that I could use it as a base for an old CH champion loading press. they have  held up, and still are after some 50 plus years of hard use. I actually had him do two of them. Unfortunately Mike was killed in a shop accident some years later. There may be some truth to the old saying, "only the good die young". I am sure there must be more like Mike out there somewhere?

rkba2nd

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Dave, I’m almost scared to say this, but the #2 sounds like something right up my ally…….Last time I said this I ended up with a Ballard.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2024 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
bobw wrote on Mar 26th, 2024 at 6:58pm:
Dave, I’m almost scared to say this, but the #2 sounds like something right up my ally…….Last time I said this I ended up with a Ballard.
Bob

Bob, this one would be the haystack gun, not the river rifle. I don't have a story for this one but it had something like that happen to it. 

I'm going to work through this one pretty quickly,  it displaces a #4 project I had planned. It's so clean and works so well I hate to pass it up

IP Logged

SBertram

Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2024 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Call Pete, not only is he a world class welder, he taught metallurgy for years and has welded many pieces of malleable iron successfully for me.

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Mar 27th, 2024 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Double dittos on Peter Nagel. He has welded several Ballards over the years for me, always an excellent job.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

fishoot

Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2024 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Another vote for contacting Mr. Nagle.  He is a guru and will do the job expertly.  My #2 had cracks coming from the hammer cut in the tang.  He did the welding and I did the finish work.  It looks like new.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint