Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 1885 .22 rimfire extractor drawing (Read 360 times)
Snakeoil

1885 .22 rimfire extractor drawing
Apr 11th, 2024 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Hi, newbie to the site here. I'm trying to find a Winchester drawing for the original flag type or half circle extractor that was used in .22 rimfire 1885 rifles. The part numbers are #4 for the Low Wall and #14 for the High Wall. They are really the same extractor with size differences where individual rifle or frame require fitting. Nobody makes a replacement for this extractor and I'm thinking seriously about doing it. I've talked to Cody and not had much luck. I need to revisit Cody. Talked to  Gary Quinlan and he could not help. Posted in Single Shot sub forum a request to contact John Campbell. If anyone can help with a drawing, it would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Hornetb

Re: 1885 .22 rimfire extractor drawing
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
DZ arms lists a rimfire extractor.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Why the obsession with a drawing?  Just spend an hour with a caliper, a protractor, and a pencil and recreate it from an existing one, and truth it by comparing to a couple of others.  Less time to do it than to ask for it on the internet!

If you have the skill to produce these, you should easily have the skill to measure one.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2024 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Several years ago I had some castings done for the rimfire extractor. The company that did them has gone out of business.  I have tried the two piece and I'm not to fond of them. I have machined them from solid stock but that takes a bunch of time. Castings work but need fitting, problem is that most places want you to order a hundred or more at a time. If they are not fit properly you end up with ruptured brass, especially if your running a target chamber.
I have thought of making two pieces and silver soldering them together. If I need a bunch it might be worth the time to make a jig to hold the two pieces for the solder job or welding.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2024 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
You may want to give Montana Vintage Arms a call. I've been told by others that they produce a 1 piece Low Wall extractor.
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint