Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Range Vise (Read 808 times)
SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Range Vise
Apr 15th, 2024 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Quite often I see people at ranges trying to work on guns (drift sights, tighten/loosen screws, push a tight brush/patch through a barrel....) while having no means to securely hold the gun. Years ago at the IWA in Nuremburg I discovered a neat portable vise from Lothar Walther. It has a set of hard steel jaws and on the opposite side a curved set lined with cork. You can turn the jaws around to position a rifle as you need. I often clamp the barrel of a BPCR in the vise with the muzzle submerged in a bucket of hot, soapy water to push a patch in and out rapidly getting the barrel spotless. Indispensable for sight work. I love this vise and can't recommend it more highly. Last I knew it was available in the US from Brownells.com

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Range Vise
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Great looking vise.  Here is the link to Brownells.  Out of stock though.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Our gun club rules are too strict to allow working on guns at the shooting benches unless the muzzle can be kept pointing down range. Issue with that is you can't reach out past the muzzle if need be, and the shooting benches are concrete that have a 3" thick top so most devices wont clamp to them unless you make your own clamping mechanism.
I miss the days 30 years ago when club rules were safe, but not so anal as they are now.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 15th, 2024 at 2:31pm:
Our gun club rules are too strict to allow working on guns at the shooting benches unless the muzzle can be kept pointing down range. Issue with that is you can't reach out past the muzzle if need be, and the shooting benches are concrete that have a 3" thick top so most devices wont clamp to them unless you make your own clamping mechanism.
I miss the days 30 years ago when club rules were safe, but not so anal as they are now.

Unless one has a private range that is a problem. I have in the past made a mount for situations like this to accommodate local rules...

Instead of seeing a safe means of working on a rifle a lot of clubs would allow someone to balance a rifle on their knee...

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Our gun club rules state barrels must be kept level and pointed down range whenever they're out of a case. We used to have racks behind the shooting lines and I could bring numerous rifles and take them out of the cases and stand them muzzle up. Then just grab one when I wanted to change rifles. Not anymore as they removed all those racks.
I could put a gun across my lap, but I'd have to sit sideways to keep the muzzle pointed towards the targets. In a pinch I'd do it if need be, but not normally my favorite. We often have open benches, so I bring my cleaning rest along and sit it on the bench next to me. It clamps the buttstock and the muzzle rests in a Vee up front. I can do some minor adjustments, and repairs that way, or clean the bore also.
Sometimes I sneak over to the Muzzleloader range where the club allows muzzles to be pointed upwards for loading and I can fire my old single shots there with less rules if nobody is using that range.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
I went to one match where the RSO freaked out if you opened your hard case and touched the rifle if the muzzle wasn't pointing down range.  No racks at Puyallup.  They let you keep the rifle on the bags, hopefully with a flag in the bore when someone is going down range.  You have to keep behind the line at that time.  At Spokane, all rifles in racks when someone is going down range.  I would rather have the rifles racked so I can fiddle with the other stuff on my bench.

ASSRA # 11318

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Apr 15th, 2024 at 5:47pm:
I went to one match where the RSO freaked out if you opened your hard case and touched the rifle if the muzzle wasn't pointing down range.  No racks at Puyallup.  They let you keep the rifle on the bags, hopefully with a flag in the bore when someone is going down range.  You have to keep behind the line at that time.  At Spokane, all rifles in racks when someone is going down range.  I would rather have the rifles racked so I can fiddle with the other stuff on my bench. 

Same here. We leave the actions opened with a flag in the chamber, but there's a yellow striped area behind the bench and nobody is to be across that line when shooters are down range during a break in shooting.
At our range if you open a case at the bench and the gun is not pointing down range you're supposed to close the case and turn it around before removing the gun. Lots of silly rules, but they seem to think we're all stupid sometimes. I've always thought if you opened a case you could just put a flag in the chamber and as long as it was there the gun can't be fired no matter what direction it's pointed?

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
It’s rare for another person to be at the range when I shoot.  If someone else shows up, they usually scare the $&/# out of me when they walk up.  Grin

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
GunBum wrote on Apr 15th, 2024 at 6:26pm:
It’s rare for another person to be at the range when I shoot.  If someone else shows up, they usually scare the $&/# out of me when they walk up.  Grin

Our club has 6000 members, and I can go on a weekday and rarely see anyone. But weekends get crazy busy!

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
I can understand the frustration with rules, but not everyone is safe in the handling of guns or on a range.  The only range we have, rural Iowa, is public and ran but the county.  Safety rules are posted but apparently some don’t read.  We are on our own and usually just cooperate with each other as to the range being open or closed.  But, 3 times in the last couple years I’ve been on the 50 or 100 yard line and others have been on the pistol range, which is probably 25 yards away.  I ask to add or remove targets, so the range is shut down, and everyone agrees,.  I get half way to the target backstop and they start shooting on the pistol range.  At that point I load up and go home.   Anymore, I go during the week and don’t even get out if anyone is on the pistol range.  I’ve had several friends have the same thing happen several times.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2024 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Except during the run up to hunting season, I can have the range all to myself most Saturday mornings.  I try to get there by 7:30 whenever I go so I can get all my stuff setup and ready for the 8:00 OK to fire.  What I hate is when someone shows up right at 8 or a bit before and I have to wait for them to set up.  I have my atrget frames all ready to go and it takes me only 5 minutes to setup at 200 and 100 if needed.  I have waited 20 minutes for some guys to set up.  I try to tell them I am a good shot and I wouldn't hit them while they do that.

ASSRA # 11318

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
I hate when somebody shows up to shoot and wants to stop every ten minutes to go check their target and change it. I'm still amazed at guys who spend tons of money on guns and scopes, but wont buy a spotting scope! 
Irritating to get in a rhythm and have to stop so often.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I have a spare $20 spotting scope and tripod in my truck to loan those guys.

ASSRA # 11318

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Apr 16th, 2024 at 10:20pm:

Is that a $20 rental each time? Smiley

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Apr 16th, 2024 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on Apr 16th, 2024 at 10:20pm:

That's an elegant solution for the dim bulbs who interrupt constantly to go look at their targets. I have an old Bushnell that'll serve the purpose. Gotta do that. Maybe also keep a stash of those "high viz" targets for them too so's they hang more than just one target.

"Gee thanks, sir. You've been a big help. What do I owe ya?" -Me:  "Got any beer?"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint