Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Round or octagonal barrels (Read 4543 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Round or octagonal barrels
Reply #30 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
This is veering from the original poster's question but I hope he doesn't mind.
On a few other internet places I read about how some guy took one gun, one barrel, cleaned it, shot a group of three or five, measuring their velocity, cut an inch off the barrel, and repeated the process from a 24" barrel down to a 16" barrel.  He claimed from that point on that the best velocity was obtained at 16.5".   
For the sake of science (and personal interest) I've dove down this rabbit hole and I must say it's been a very deep one.  I rarely take someone's opinion if it's backed by "marginal" proof.  It's taken some time and it's still in process but I'm doing an experiment with a single gun/single barrel but I'm not cutting it off at the muzzle, it's at the chamber end so the last thing the bullet remembers about that firearm is the same... AHAH!

Merkava,
I have many folks that reply similar to how you did.  Practical and realistic use of the double deuce beyond 100 yards..?   
I compete with CF shooting out to a mile a couple times per year, and several times to the 1000 yd ranges.  The d-deuce at 400 is very similar in reaction and results, taking less real-estate -in other words - fits on my range.
I also use several d-deuce singles, semi-autos, and gate latch guns when we go for prairie poodles on the north 40K acres.  With fragmenting bullets, we shoot in and amongst the stock with exceptional results and no issues.  With some of our setups, the rodent's mortality runs high - both in direct and wound results.  With full mags, good scopes and laser range finders, 500 yards is still an effective range - the little pill still has about 30'# at delivery and scooting along at 600 f/sec. - the poodles know they've been hit.  These don't get the gory results like my CF 22's, 6's, 6.5's or .30's but the threat from strays has proved non-existent.
my Nickel's worth.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #31 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
I like round or octagonal barrels. I also like half round and half octagonal barrels. I also like fluted barrels. 

I'm not a good enough shot to tell the difference as to which shape is more accurate so I don't think about it.

Don't think I would like a barrel that was half round and half octagon if the round half were at the breech end. Well,,, maybe I would. Never had one like that.   Huh
This thread really drifted bad.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Joe I need to try and do one of those someday.   
Might actually be a new shingle shot falling block fad. 
After I do one in metal flake red with Flames.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
I think that a round would be the most accurate.   On the outside, tapering from small at the chamber to larger at the muzzle would be the best.  Cutting a flat side on a round blank? Eight of them? what does that really do to the insides when you think about it? In theory it should take the bore out of round, does that make eight grooves and lands better if you are going with an octagon barrel?

Sorry for the earlier drift.

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
GT wrote on Dec 13th, 2021 at 6:34pm:
This is veering from the original poster's question but I hope he doesn't mind.
On a few other internet places I read about how some guy took one gun, one barrel, cleaned it, shot a group of three or five, measuring their velocity, cut an inch off the barrel, and repeated the process from a 24" barrel down to a 16" barrel.  He claimed from that point on that the best velocity was obtained at 16.5".   
For the sake of science (and personal interest) I've dove down this rabbit hole and I must say it's been a very deep one.  I rarely take someone's opinion if it's backed by "marginal" proof.  It's taken some time and it's still in process but I'm doing an experiment with a single gun/single barrel but I'm not cutting it off at the muzzle, it's at the chamber end so the last thing the bullet remembers about that firearm is the same... AHAH!

Merkava,
I have many folks that reply similar to how you did.  Practical and realistic use of the double deuce beyond 100 yards..?  
I compete with CF shooting out to a mile a couple times per year, and several times to the 1000 yd ranges.  The d-deuce at 400 is very similar in reaction and results, taking less real-estate -in other words - fits on my range.
I also use several d-deuce singles, semi-autos, and gate latch guns when we go for prairie poodles on the north 40K acres.  With fragmenting bullets, we shoot in and amongst the stock with exceptional results and no issues.  With some of our setups, the rodent's mortality runs high - both in direct and wound results.  With full mags, good scopes and laser range finders, 500 yards is still an effective range - the little pill still has about 30'# at delivery and scooting along at 600 f/sec. - the poodles know they've been hit.  These don't get the gory results like my CF 22's, 6's, 6.5's or .30's but the threat from strays has proved non-existent.
my Nickel's worth.

It seems like the effective range of a 22 past about 200 yards, depend more on your ability to measure distance than bullet performance. 

By 400 yards, a 5 yard mistake in range often has more vertical error than your target standing on hind legs. Cheesy

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Actually all about the conditions and learning to compensate.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Dec 13th, 2021 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Dec 13th, 2021 at 7:54pm:
Actually all about the conditions and learning to compensate.

Not quite completely true. In target shooting with known distances, I agree. Field shooting or hunting, as being discussed, it’s false.

A standard velocity, 1050 fps 40 grain bullet, zeroed at 100 yards, drops about 2” every yard at 400 yards

So a 5 yard mistake of range in a perfect world, nets you 10” or more vertical error. It only gets worse in a real world.

Or to out it another way, if you have compensated, as you put it, for an error in distance, you’re not compensating at all. You have learned the actual distance, and you are no longer compensating.

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #37 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 1:06am
Print Post  
The bottom line is if you can hit what you're shooting at, at what ever distance you're shooting, that is all that matters. Some are better at it than others. 
Lee Gibbs Pres.ASSRA

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #38 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Don’t mind at all drifting from the question at hand. Decided to go with a round profile.
Thanks for the lead regarding the Bridgeport but looking for a 48” table.
Carry on!
Cheers Richard
“So much to do so little time”

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Totally agree Dellet it takes both.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #40 - Dec 14th, 2021 at 10:31am
Print Post  
I've got a Hepburn a friend is rebarreling currently with a .40-65 Green Mountain barrel in #4 weight full octagon. Have another Rolling Block that has the same barrel in full round I put together many years ago.
So once the Hepburn project is completed I'm planning on taking the same loads and both guns to the range, and test the round vs. octagon theory. With the only difference being the actions they're on, maybe I can see which of the two shoots smaller groups at various distances. The old round barrel Roller has been a wonderful rifle, and proved to be very accurate. So hope the full octagon is it's equal.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint