Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Opinions on "choked" barrels? (Read 7132 times)
ScrapMetal

Opinions on "choked" barrels?
Nov 18th, 2021 at 1:49am
Print Post  
I'm planning to get a BRC barrel in .40-70SS for a Remington Hepburn I'm building from castings.  The only thing I need to decide at this point is if it is worth it to go with a "choked" barrel.

Are there legitimate reasons for one, and advantages/disadvantages or is it just the latest "greatest thing"/fad?

Thanks,

-Ron

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Opinions on "choked" barrels?
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 8:55am
Print Post  
It is not really a fade Pope, Darr and RKS have all made choked barrels and there may be more I am not aware of.  
I personally would consider it to be an advantage.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2021 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Alexander Henry’s barrels were noted for their accuracy in the 19th century and he choked them. My two new barrels for my 44 1/2 are BRC choked (25-35 and 32-20) and will be ready to be tested in a few days. Looking forward to it. My gunsmith remarked on their smoothness.

IP Logged

ScrapMetal

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 4:11am
Print Post  
Thanks much for the insights guys I'll definitely give the choked barrel a try when I put in my order to BRC.

Now that has been decided I'd like to understand it a bit better. In my head I can see where that might increase the velocity of the bullet but what is the reason/theory as to why the choked barrels are more accurate?   

Thanks again,

-Ron

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 6:38am
Print Post  
Many Anschutz Rimfire barrels are choked. Think the Determining factor is weight allowed class the rifle is being built for. Heavy smallbore prone and position match barrels are almost all choked.

I believe can’t say sure they choke by leaving a larger outside Diameter on the blank when button rifled. Two most accurate Rimfire rifles I have owned are Anschutz super match and Douglas barreled CPA. Anschutz was choked the CPA not.

Can’t explain how it works though 

Boats 

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Question; what makes a choked barrel choked? Lapping, constricting, and others enter the mind but curious as to what method is currently in vogue.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 11:26am
Print Post  
I firmly believe that a straight hole at the beginning is one of the important issues 
for a good shooting rifle. I am not sure of the benefit of choking but I suspect that 
folks that do choked barrels are just those types of Craftsmen that take the time to get a straight hole make the best Barrels. The Bullet is in constant fit all the way thru the barrel, no opportunity to spring or relax on its way. Just my thought on the subject, HTH FITZ OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
rafter3c wrote on Nov 19th, 2021 at 9:36am:
The point is I figured out a way to choke the muzzle end of a barrel at a price most shooters can afford. My original plan was to get 4" of choke, around .005". I went with around .004 for RF. BRC is using my original drawing. I did choke a barrel 5 1/2" and got excellent results. The targets 22RF shot on brcbarrels.com was shot with 3 1/2" choke. I shot the same loads in choked barrels as with standard Douglas barrels with no change in recoil. I try to use the KISS method in shooting. It's the mental part that's hard for OH. I think the choke on muzzle end of a barrel puts the bullet to sleep which in turn helps stabilizes it in flight. 
Thanks for all the positive posts.
Ken

Now, the point is are you or are not willing to enlighten use as to your method of ‘choking’ the barrel. So far all I see is snake oil promotionals.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2021 at 12:12pm by Premod70 »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
If I was BRC would not divulge the method either. Barrels  a competitive business & one vs the other much promoted on this site, I believe to shooters advantage . 

Choke has been the method used by large manufacturers with methods not generally available to small shops. If they have figured  it out more power to BRC

Off topic a bit shotgun shooters believe strongly little bit of choke patterns more consistent than cylinder barrels. Rarely see a competitive skeet shooter using cylinder bore.

Boats

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
rafter, is the choke you mention correct?   Should it be .0005 rather than .005.  I believe it was Clay that  told me the choke was tenths not thousands.  A 32 choked barrel I have takes the same size gauge pin on both ends, using thousands pins not ten thousands.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Believe rafter3c has explained how to choke a button rifled barrel, makes sense and ingenious.
How was it done on a cut barrel? Lapping, yes, but think a uniform taper is the natural result of using a square bit reamer.
This was used by Pope and many others. The wood backing wears slightly and uniformly from breech to muzzle.
My experience is this works fine for muzzle loaders but too much choke for breech loaders. About .001-002" choke.
Need to find a backing material that wears less, maybe HDPE. Rifling cutter needs some spring for uniform grove depth.
That said, hand making a barrel is two weeks work for a $400 barrel, so not practical, but fascinating.
Chuck

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Seems everybody knows but me about this technique. Is there a thread that explains the process?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
I do agree Boats as I do know how Barry Darr choked his barrels and also unknown to most they were also buttoned rifled. His own process is one that he had to figure out. Why would he want to pass it onto anyone else in the same competitive barrel making business.  And I am surely not going to do so either. 
Snake oil it is not and now one is being forced to buy one.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

oldstarfire
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Asking this:
Is the groove diameter reduced at the end?
Is the bore diameter reduced?
Both reduced?
I am not concerned as to the method.
Dont have a barrel, am not about to buy one.
TIA

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Nov 19th, 2021 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
I know one that’s not going to be forced into a purchase and that is me. Too damn many folks out there that make barrels everyday and the good ones only make one kind of barrel; their best. The barrel making business has always been competitive and those that spend the time perfecting their skills survive. When the records start falling from this ‘unknown’ process will I consider getting in line for a purchase.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint