Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Woodchucks (Read 28294 times)
ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Woodchucks
Jun 15th, 2018 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Shot a nice big woodchuck few weeks ago with a small H&A single shot action with a old Winchester low wall barrel that I rechambered to. 22 WRF.I got him in the head at roughly 125 years. Sorry I have no pictures. 
  Come on there has got to be some other woodchuck shooters out there. Let's hear about it.

Lee

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Woodchucks
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Really want to hear about it?  It's a sad story.  For close to 20 yrs it was my passion, because I was living in an area of upstate NY with lots of small family dairy farms (not the industrial farms that now predominate), & where permission to hunt was not difficult to obtain. Furthermore, the land & climate obviously suited them, because they were prolific--it was a daily (& sickening) sight to see one run over in the road.

Then two disasters occurred: real estate speculators began offering the farmers deals they couldn't refuse, so vacation homes replaced the cows, and at about the same time the eastern coyote invasion began. Even smart farm dogs have little trouble catching them, so a pair of coyotes working together were absolutely lethal.  So the woodchuck population crashed, and where some escaped the coyotes by moving into subdivisions, they couldn't be hunted.  So ended my chuck hunting career.

By the way, I always hunted them with a very heavy Peterson-barreled Stevens 49 in .22LR using cross sticks & an optical rangefinder, & never took a shot under 50 yrds, mostly in the 75-80 range, and even that far necessitated some careful stalking.  The challenge of hitting them at hundreds of yds with CFs eludes me completely.  Once, just to see if I could do it, I stalked one to about 20 yds & killed it with a K22, one shot to the brain.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Woodchucks were abundant in one area where I lived in middle teen years. .22LR hollow points and brain shots reduced the population but not severely. Shot some decades later in upper NY state with .54 muzzle loader as practice for shooting deer. .54 RB over 70-80 gr Pyrodex RS, mostly upper body shots -- deadly.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Redsetter is right. The coyotes eat them as fast as they grow. The survivors live in the suburbs or very near some farmhouse and along the interstate highways. Not much chuck hunting in these parts anymore.

IP Logged

mike in Va.

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
I have shot two ground hogs this year with a Maynard Model 16 in 25/20 SS sporting a John B Sidle scope.  But I must concur with the all the other posts, there are very few ground hogs.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 3:50am
Print Post  
Maybe somebody needs to start thinning out the coyotes.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 8:33am
Print Post  
How great, Joe, that in the Great Western Tradition, your 'chuck died, dramatically, with his -- err -- "boots" on.

Memories indeed!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 3:50am:

Good luck! I have been told they do not respond to predator calls west of the Cascades.  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 2:31pm:
BP wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 3:50am:

Good luck! I have been told they do not respond to predator calls west of the Cascades.  Cry

They do like kitty-cat and mini-dog lunches. And you can help reduce part of the work load for your local SPCA at the same time!   Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Maybe its because of all the ethanol that they put in the mogas.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Yep, and heavily promoted by Govt agencies to keep increasing production levels.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 3:29pm:
Why is it there used to be bazillions of Woodchucks for vermin shooters at the turn of the last century?  No Coyote problem then. Coyotes migrated East?

Of course.  Woodchucks evolved with wolves, which didn't bother with them, & foxes, which were too small to tackle anything larger than a half-grown one.  Coyotes are to woodchucks, dim-witted to begin with, an alien invader against whom they have no natural defenses. 

The other reason is the conversion of most of those small farms which provided pasture & thus food to support a large chuck population into subdivisions, trailer-parks, condos, etc.   

Anybody with a cursory interest in chucks knows this, has observed in taking place with their own eyes over the last 40 yrs, anybody EXCEPT the know-nothing wildlife biologists working for most state conservation depts.--because no fact in nature can exist unless it's been "proven" by a mutimillion dollar, multi-year study, & few if any depts. would invest that kind of money & effort in such a "minor" species.  One of NY's regional conservation offices in near here, & I've talked to their staff about this--about which nobody in that office knew ANYTHING, though hunters & farmers have been talking about it for yrs; hard to remember another group as ignorant & pig-headed as that bunch.  Amazingly, though there's a closed season on coyote hunting (to which I don't object), there's none on woodchucks, nor bag limits!  That might have made sense when there were "bazillions" of them, but then isn't now.  Only state I know that treats them (rightly) as a game animal with seasons & limits is Pa.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Joe,

Don't forget that GMO food either.
Some stock producers have noticed that if you put GMO corn in front of a cow or a hog, they sniff it and then look up at you like "What is this crap?"
Then put down some of the old non-GMO feed corn, and the animals start eating. One rancher said he had to put a layer of non-GMO under a layer of the the GMO to get the animals to eat down through the GMO before they could reach the good stuff.
And if your stock don't want to eat GMO, the wild birds and animals won't be eating the pickings left out in the field that the harvesters missed, like they used to. Bad grains means less feed for the wildlife, and no one can give reliable info on long term GMO-feed side effects on wildlife.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 4:40pm:

Don't forget that GMO food either.
Some stock producers have noticed that if you put GMO corn in front of a cow or a hog, they sniff it and then look up at you like "What is this crap?"

Another situation in which close study of a situation by reliable observers is utterly dismissed by the "professionals" in ag & wildlife agencies; with them, nothing can be known or even surmised unless millions have been spent in "studies."  

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Colorado treats a related species(Yellow Bellied Marmot) as a small game animal, with a daily limit of two, possesion limit of four, and requirment to retrieve the animal,care for and consume it. These regulations may have changed, so as always, check current regulations before heading for the mountains. The season usually runs from middle of August to mid October.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 4:30pm:

Yes I certainly agree but I factor in the poison too. 

So far as I know, the "poison everything you dislike" mentality that's rampant in the West is very uncommon in the East; not that there aren't individual psychopaths who may do it, but it's not a "way of life."

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:26pm:
Colorado treats a related species(Yellow Bellied Marmot) as a small game animal, with a daily limit of two, possesion limit of four, and requirment to retrieve the animal,care for and consume it. These regulations may have changed, so as always, check current regulations before heading for the mountains. The season usually runs from middle of August to mid October.

After the dozens of books & hundreds of articles written about chuck-hunting, how can these idiots in the Eastern game & fish agencies remain ignorant of its importance as a game animal!  

Eastern states, sad to say, were also the most resistant to implementation of catch & release fishing regs.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:28pm:
westerner wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 4:30pm:

Yes I certainly agree but I factor in the poison too. 

So far as I know, the "poison everything you dislike" mentality that's rampant in the West is very uncommon in the East; not that there aren't individual psychopaths who may do it, but it's not a "way of life."

In this western State, private individuals are prohibited from using poisons for wild animal control, the State reserves that to itself.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:39pm:
In this western State, private individuals are prohibited from using poisons for wild animal control, the State reserves that to itself.

That's as it should be, but how much trouble is it for individuals to obtain such poisons?  Legally or otherwise.   

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
I don't know which ones specifically, but I heard about using poison grain when I was a kid on the farm.

Of course, DDT was still in common use along with asbestos  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:27pm:
I'm no expert on Woodchucks. Harvested just the one. 

Do know that farmers do use poisons, toxins, whatever you want to call them, to control rodents. 

Joe. 

D-Con rat and mice pellets?
Any high-school kid that took a chemistry class has been given the info to make concentrations and dilutions.
And then there are all the druggies who mix their various concoctions.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 9:51pm:
I was wondering whether what has happened to Jackrabbits, might have happened to the wily Woodchuck. Seems unlikely to me that Coyotes and urban sprawl are the only causes of the Woodchuck demise. 

Joe. 

Big clean farms with quarter section fields and the end of the family farm are probably the biggest issues.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 9:14pm:
D-Con rat and mice pellets?

They'd have to eat a ton of it.  Strychnine used to be most common, when it could be bought in any drug store, and few ways of dying are more miserable. It's been replaced by much faster acting cyanide, the death preferred by captured spies, except cowards like Gary Powers. 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 10:22pm:
Big clean farms with quarter section fields and the end of the family farm are probably the biggest issues.

Exactly.  Used to be possible to make a decent living with a few dozen dairy cows, now it requires hundreds.  An industrial diary near me operates out of a "barn" the size of a B52 hanger.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 12:41am
Print Post  
I was wondering whether what has happened to Jackrabbits, might have happened to the wily Woodchuck. Seems unlikely to me that Coyotes and urban sprawl are the only causes of the Woodchuck demise. 

Joe. 

They should cut off all funding to Sanctuary Cities and Sanctuary States, and then use those same funds to reestablish a revised version of the old USDA Soil Bank Program.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Stopped in a gun store in Carrington, ND on the recent road trip back east to visit Fly-Over Country.
They had a batch of "Farmer's Commerative Edition" AR-15's in one rack.
Should come in handy on the farmer's walls for Woodchucks, Jackrabbits, and other varmits.    Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:52am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 11:23pm:

Joe. 

That killed off the Chucks? How? 

Joe. 

Habitat gone.  Same thing happened to pheasants.  No fence rows for cover. All the irrigation ditches that used to be covered with weeds are sprayed and as bare as pavement.   All the dry hills too high for flood irrigation and used for rock piles are irrigated with sprinklers.  Herbicides kill everything but the desired crop, less cover for nesting, ect. Back in the 80s, one of my uncles used some crap on the fields called Reabore (SIC?).  Nothing grew on that ground but corn for 6 years!  When I was a kid, a couple of us going through a beet or corn field 1/4 mile long would drive out an flush up to 40 or 50 pheasants sometimes.   Lucky to see one today.  All the kids I grew up with that stayed gave up pheasant hunting years ago.  

BTW, the first time my cousins put me on the end of a corn field they were flushing I thought I was going to get killed.  Those pheasants were flushing past about head height doing about 40 mph.  There was no end to them.  I'd take a shot in self defense and miss.  Duck behind the fence to reload dad's single shot 20 ga Winchester that didn't even have an extractor.  I have to dig the empties out with a church key. 3 or 4 more more would pass overhead before   I got reloaded.  I'd watch for another shot at one that wasn't headed straight for my head  Huh
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:59am by Schuetzenmiester »  

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:58am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:50am:
Did I ever tell ya bout the time I took a trophy Woodchuck with my 25-20?   Smiley

Joe.

Where'd you shoot it at, Joe?
I heard the easterner's pretty much poisoned off most of the woodchucks back in that part of the country. They got a bunch of rock walls back there to, build from the rocks they pile up after picking them up out of the fields they farm on a lot of stony ground.    Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:01am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:58am:
Starting to feel sorry for the varminks.    Sad

Joe. 

You should feel more sorry for the pheasants.  They are a lot more fun and better eating.  See the edit I did above  Cheesy

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:04am
Print Post  
All over the place in the New England States...
      Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #30 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:17am
Print Post  
They didn't plant any when I was a kid.  They fattened themselves real good.  Penneywise Drug in Nampa used to have a tail feather contest.  They gave away a MEC reloader or Browning over and under every year for the longest tail feather.  If it wasn't 36" there was no point in entering.  Undecided  I wanted one of those Brownings so bad, but too much money.  Now I got one and no place to use it.  No justice in this world  Cry  It probably would not have hit anymore than my Stevens sxs.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:23am
Print Post  
We had an old Rhode Island Red hen that was a good setter.
Dad got a call from the Game bird hatchery to come and get the pheasant eggs that he put his name on the list for.
That night, we went out and snuck those eggs in under her.
Couple of days later, they hatched, and that hen was just happy as could be.
Lasted about two weeks... those pheasant chicks were a wild bunch and on the run from the get-go. By the end of the month, they had all headed off to parts unknown.
She did better with mallard duck eggs, until the ducklings got old enough and found the pond. That old saying about "madder than a wet hen" is true.    Grin

There's rock chucks up in the Okanogan north of Wenatchee, but the locals call them "greasers".
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:28am by BP »  

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:27am
Print Post  
I don't know where they went in winter.  Come about Nov 1 when the chilly winds started to blow the ducks in from Canada, they disappeared.  If you spotted one, it ran on the ground about 1/4 mile ahead. They may have hibernated like bear  Undecided  About the time the corn started to sprout, they popped up and cleared the first few rows off the edge of the fields.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Bob,
Back in my younger days in the midwest, hunting didn't start until there was snow on the ground.
You'd look for tracks and the tail skid in the snow and follow them up to a tall grass patch, then flush them out.
They didn't hibernate, but now and then when a snowstorm was brewin', you could see where they would intentionally fly straight into a snowbank, part of which would collapse in behind them mostly sealing up the hole in the snowbank, and leaving them snug and relatively warm in their snow cave.
If you watched for it, sometimes you could see the tips of their tails sticking out of the snowbank, so you'd set your shotgun down, and do a belly flop on top of the hole, stick your arms in the snow and start grabbing to get ahold of some part of them, then just ring their neck, and you saved a shotshell for the next bird to fly.
China roosters were fun!

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:51am
Print Post  
BP, We didn't have snow that deep.  Not a lot of wind, but it would get cold. Too cold to walk 3/8 mile and wait for the school bus  Grin I remember one winter it didn't get up to 0 for a month.  Ground frozen solid all winter.  I liked that.  Can't haul frozen cow manure.   Cry  It got down close to 20 below a lot.  Coldest I remember was -32 when I went out to milk.  Fortunately, dead still. We shot starlings in the feed lot all winter.  They will eat a ton of silage a day if you let them  Angry

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:55am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:34am:
It was very cold and windy when I was a kid. When they built circle irrigation in the seventies the cold winters stopped. Get a skiff of snow and stay at 31. treacherous driving. 

Joe.

So that is what started global warming.  Those circles!

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 3:16am
Print Post  
I don't doubt that.  My grandpa lived around Big Timber for a couple years.  He said the wind would blow kernel corn off the top of a wagon load.  He couldn't live there, not enough bags to roll up the kids I guess.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 8:46am
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:04am:
All over the place in the New England States...

Where they haven't been torn down to make way for subdivisions (in which case, the stones are sold to landscapers to create "instant" 200 yr old fences for the rich who come up from the city to build million-dollar "2nd homes"--or 3rd or 4th), they're highways for all the small mammals in the vicinity, which either run on top of them, or like foxes & coyotes, trot along beside them.  Where they border open pastures, the brush wood that grows up beside them provides the only shade & cover around for someone hunting woodchucks, as I once did.  Any chuck I killed was always placed on top of the nearest wall, or preferably at an intersection of two, and would usually have been carried off by the next day.

IP Logged

mijo

Reply #38 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Here's a few of the 58 chucks I've shot this year. Low wall lined to 32-20 with a Fecker scope.
Pat

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Isn't that a bear gun? Good job on the 'chucks, anyway. Wink

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Do they make a good chuck roast?

JS

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
JS47 wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:21pm:

JS

Excellent! I've eaten the meat, though some one else did the cooking, so I can't explain the preparation.  And why would woodchuck be any less palatable than squirrel, another rodent?

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #42 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
The coyote story is somewhat true, somewhat myth. No doubt coyotes moved east big time, BUT, a few years back a couple big time woodchuck shooters, one a highly respected veterinarian told me that for years, particularly in the Northeast, chucks got decimated by a virulent strain of hepatitis.
This year, in upstate NY, we hit the road for the first time in a while and in May, the first trip we saw 25 in 1/2 a day, and shot a few. They're battling back.
That said, to the point, I still have a soft spot for classic based rifles and shoot, all in HW's a 219 Zipper, 225, & R2 as well as modern SS in 22-250 & 20 TAC.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #43 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:31pm:
JS47 wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:21pm:

JS

Excellent! I've eaten the meat, though some one else did the cooking, so I can't explain the preparation.  And why would woodchuck be any less palatable than squirrel, another rodent? 

Maybe because they're 15 times tougher.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
tim_s wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:17pm:

Maybe because they're 15 times tougher.

Not the meat I ate.  Never cooked a chuck, but have cooked plenty of squirrels, & learned quickly that if I didn't use a crock-pot, or some other method of SLOW cooking, a meat-grinder was the next best choice.  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #45 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Tree Squirrels are very good eating. ground Squirrels on the other hand are well known for carrying various unhealthy to human diseases out this way. Those we shot by the hundreds always having an unlimited supply that a local cattle rancher in the hill country wanted eliminated. There uncontrollable population in turn attracted a very large on the ranch community of Coyotes. It was a real nice and private hunting paradise while it lasted and for about six years. Doves we're also very plentiful at the time with daily limits easy to achieve and there were always a few local Deer hanging out at the place. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Those ground squirrels were fun.  Especially shooting them running between burrows.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Amen Bob Z and there were so many I would take my reloading equipment and set it up in the horse barn / shop for the after lunch time shoot. We would head up that way every weekend from about March to September when Dove season would then start. It would then typicaly give the young enough time to reproduce and fatten up for the next years shoot. Was not unusual to go through 200 rounds each for the two of us or real close it for every one day outing and more than enough until the next weekend came around. Man those were indeed the good old days when looking back. 

JLouis

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Joe,

You saying you never heard of a gal that likes squirrel better than she does chicken?    ;

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:31am
Print Post  
I'm thinking the ones who prefer squirrel are likely better shots, and may not fill the game with bb's when an opportunity presents itself.    Grin

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:42am
Print Post  
As long as she don't have those big sharp teeth to sink into you like the bushy-tailed critter does, it ought to be just fine.    Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Jun 19th, 2018 at 1:41am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 19th, 2018 at 12:37am:
[quote author=4A7A61696658080 link=1529076918/72#72 date=1529382670]I'm thinking the ones who prefer squirrel are likely better shots, and may not fill the game with bb's when an opportunity presents itself.    Grin

Not sure I want one that eats squirrel sitting in my lap. 

Joe. 
You probably wouldn't mind one who's feeling a little squirrelly sitting on your lap!

JS

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
careful, she may have a jealous boyfriend.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
For an old-timey photo from back in the days when folks weren't used to smiling in them, that feller almost looks like he's cracking a grin.    Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
BP, Some folks natural expression is a smile.  People on job sites used to ask me what  I was so happy about.  Occasionally some one will walking in public, but usually someone who saw me more  that just passing by. Maybe he is one of the lucky few that wakes up in a good mood every morning?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Bob Z I always woke up with a good reasons to have a smile on my face, still alive, always having an enjoyable job to head to and being extremely blessed and thankful.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
The Late Great Paul Harvey reported very few people wake up in a good mood everyday for a week.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Bob,
Maybe that feller's squirrel eatin' gal has a way of keeping him in a good mood!     Grin

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
That's a probability  Cheesy

IP Logged

mijo

Reply #59 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Here is my grandson with his first kill ever. Remington no.4 22lr iron sights. This was the first of 5 that day

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #60 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Now that to me is what a young man's life is all about and he reminds me of me. First time me and close friend took his son out ground squirrel Hunting and about the same age and also a good shot. He missed probably the first ten and started crying but once I got him to settle down and take his time I don't recall him missing another one the rest of day. I guess one might say he had to get over his buck or should I say squirrel fever and then he was more than good to go.

JLouis

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
mijo,
Congratulations to you and your grandson, and that Rem #4!    Smiley

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #62 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 7:07am
Print Post  
I'm in the western Virginia mountains.  In the 1980s I was an avid groundhog hunter in various surrounding counties here in Virginia and in eastern West Virginia.

During those years I had a marvelous custom Sharps Borchardt chambered in .225 Win. with a Douglas XX barrel.  It had double set triggers by a 'smith in Ohio.  The rifle was deadly accurate and spelt the end of many a 'chuck.

As reported here, there seemed to be a correlation between the appearance of coyotes and a drop in woodchuck populations.

I found a photo of my Sharps Borchardt and thought I would share it here.  I sold the rifle in the mid-90s to fund a double rifle purchase.  Wish I had it back!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The older I get, the less I have a stomach for shooting critters just for the heck of it.  Getting soft, I guess.

Let me also say, I have eaten several groundhogs in years gone by.  The meat is excellent if properly handled and cooked.  My children remember.  The biggest obstacle is hot weather.  A groudhog shot the morning of a hot sunny day can't be carried around until the evening.  I hunted on foot and was away from a vehicle or cooler all day.  Only a late evening kill presented the opportunity for the crock pot.

Curl

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint