Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Woodchucks (Read 28291 times)
Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Woodchucks
Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 4:30pm:

Yes I certainly agree but I factor in the poison too. 

So far as I know, the "poison everything you dislike" mentality that's rampant in the West is very uncommon in the East; not that there aren't individual psychopaths who may do it, but it's not a "way of life."

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:26pm:
Colorado treats a related species(Yellow Bellied Marmot) as a small game animal, with a daily limit of two, possesion limit of four, and requirment to retrieve the animal,care for and consume it. These regulations may have changed, so as always, check current regulations before heading for the mountains. The season usually runs from middle of August to mid October.

After the dozens of books & hundreds of articles written about chuck-hunting, how can these idiots in the Eastern game & fish agencies remain ignorant of its importance as a game animal!  

Eastern states, sad to say, were also the most resistant to implementation of catch & release fishing regs.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:28pm:
westerner wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 4:30pm:

Yes I certainly agree but I factor in the poison too. 

So far as I know, the "poison everything you dislike" mentality that's rampant in the West is very uncommon in the East; not that there aren't individual psychopaths who may do it, but it's not a "way of life."

In this western State, private individuals are prohibited from using poisons for wild animal control, the State reserves that to itself.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 5:39pm:
In this western State, private individuals are prohibited from using poisons for wild animal control, the State reserves that to itself.

That's as it should be, but how much trouble is it for individuals to obtain such poisons?  Legally or otherwise.   

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
I don't know which ones specifically, but I heard about using poison grain when I was a kid on the farm.

Of course, DDT was still in common use along with asbestos  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 7:27pm:
I'm no expert on Woodchucks. Harvested just the one. 

Do know that farmers do use poisons, toxins, whatever you want to call them, to control rodents. 

Joe. 

D-Con rat and mice pellets?
Any high-school kid that took a chemistry class has been given the info to make concentrations and dilutions.
And then there are all the druggies who mix their various concoctions.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 9:51pm:
I was wondering whether what has happened to Jackrabbits, might have happened to the wily Woodchuck. Seems unlikely to me that Coyotes and urban sprawl are the only causes of the Woodchuck demise. 

Joe. 

Big clean farms with quarter section fields and the end of the family farm are probably the biggest issues.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 9:14pm:
D-Con rat and mice pellets?

They'd have to eat a ton of it.  Strychnine used to be most common, when it could be bought in any drug store, and few ways of dying are more miserable. It's been replaced by much faster acting cyanide, the death preferred by captured spies, except cowards like Gary Powers. 

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 10:22pm:
Big clean farms with quarter section fields and the end of the family farm are probably the biggest issues.

Exactly.  Used to be possible to make a decent living with a few dozen dairy cows, now it requires hundreds.  An industrial diary near me operates out of a "barn" the size of a B52 hanger.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 12:41am
Print Post  
I was wondering whether what has happened to Jackrabbits, might have happened to the wily Woodchuck. Seems unlikely to me that Coyotes and urban sprawl are the only causes of the Woodchuck demise. 

Joe. 

They should cut off all funding to Sanctuary Cities and Sanctuary States, and then use those same funds to reestablish a revised version of the old USDA Soil Bank Program.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Stopped in a gun store in Carrington, ND on the recent road trip back east to visit Fly-Over Country.
They had a batch of "Farmer's Commerative Edition" AR-15's in one rack.
Should come in handy on the farmer's walls for Woodchucks, Jackrabbits, and other varmits.    Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:52am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 16th, 2018 at 11:23pm:

Joe. 

That killed off the Chucks? How? 

Joe. 

Habitat gone.  Same thing happened to pheasants.  No fence rows for cover. All the irrigation ditches that used to be covered with weeds are sprayed and as bare as pavement.   All the dry hills too high for flood irrigation and used for rock piles are irrigated with sprinklers.  Herbicides kill everything but the desired crop, less cover for nesting, ect. Back in the 80s, one of my uncles used some crap on the fields called Reabore (SIC?).  Nothing grew on that ground but corn for 6 years!  When I was a kid, a couple of us going through a beet or corn field 1/4 mile long would drive out an flush up to 40 or 50 pheasants sometimes.   Lucky to see one today.  All the kids I grew up with that stayed gave up pheasant hunting years ago.  

BTW, the first time my cousins put me on the end of a corn field they were flushing I thought I was going to get killed.  Those pheasants were flushing past about head height doing about 40 mph.  There was no end to them.  I'd take a shot in self defense and miss.  Duck behind the fence to reload dad's single shot 20 ga Winchester that didn't even have an extractor.  I have to dig the empties out with a church key. 3 or 4 more more would pass overhead before   I got reloaded.  I'd watch for another shot at one that wasn't headed straight for my head  Huh
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:59am by Schuetzenmiester »  

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:58am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:50am:
Did I ever tell ya bout the time I took a trophy Woodchuck with my 25-20?   Smiley

Joe.

Where'd you shoot it at, Joe?
I heard the easterner's pretty much poisoned off most of the woodchucks back in that part of the country. They got a bunch of rock walls back there to, build from the rocks they pile up after picking them up out of the fields they farm on a lot of stony ground.    Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:01am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 1:58am:
Starting to feel sorry for the varminks.    Sad

Joe. 

You should feel more sorry for the pheasants.  They are a lot more fun and better eating.  See the edit I did above  Cheesy

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:04am
Print Post  
All over the place in the New England States...
      Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint