Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Too much gun? (Read 17350 times)
Spud
Senior Forum Member

Too much gun?
May 22nd, 2018 at 1:46am
Print Post  
I was out chasing deer again with the Hepburn .40/70 SS when Mr. Fox came trotting up the game trail, nose to the ground, following an interesting scent. He was about 60 yds away. No deer had appeared that morning so I thought "what the heck" put the front sight on him and cocked the hammer. He stopped dead in his tracks at the sound of that click (boy their hearing is good) and I let fly. Those 330 gr slugs sure hit hard!
Spud.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Too much gun?
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2018 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Nice going Spud.  Were foxes imported down there to control the jackrabbits?

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2018 at 11:53am
Print Post  
As far as that goes, imported foxes or otherwise. I'll ask- were the deer imported as well?

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2018 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Local fox couple comes through our back yard now and then, looking for one of the rabbits that live under our back porch, or maybe a nearby yappy little dog now and then. They feed them to their pups. Lotsa free rabbits to support the foxes.

They used to come by more often cause previous owner fed their dogs in back yard, so they were feeding foxes as well.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Spud, fur looks fine, just enough gun  Cool

Joe, Y U hate rock chucks?   Are you growing alfalfa?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Old Win & Called Flyer, foxes where introduced by the Brits back in colonial days so the gentry could hunt them on horseback, reminded them of home. They became a real pest and have colonised most of the country. Impact heavily on native species especially the small marsupials & birds. Feral cats are worse and do more harm than foxes to local wildlife. Foxes got a real bad name with sheep farmers as they took lambs.

Same with the deer. The Reds & Fallow were put on estates & the Sambar, Chital, Rusa & Hog were released in the forests mainly from the 1830's to 1880. Since then the population numbers have gone through the roof to the extent that deer numbers in some agricultural areas are causing real concern. Hunting does reduce numbers to a small extent but govt. authorities are now talking about culling & poisoning campaigns. It would be a shame to see them gone completely. I usually take two or three a year for meat. If they have antlers....that's a bonus.   

Even our trout were introduced.

Joe, I must admit that I like some foxes too. I actually have a pair on my place that help to keep the rabbits in check. Feral cats are shot on sight!
What's a Rockchuck? Huh
Spud

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2018 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
They do a lot of damage to crops.  They are common in the irrigated fields of southern Idaho where flood irrigation leaves leaves lots of dry hills too high to irrigate.  The farmers pile the lava rock from  the fields on the dry hills.  Perfect habitat.   A lot th the flood irrigated fields in the Treasure Valley have been subdivided for housing.  The circle irrigation systems sprinkle and eliminate the dry hills using that system.  Not as big a problem as they used to be. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2018 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
fat rat. big toes.
looks like a Larson cartoon.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2018 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
thank you, spud. By the way, when a .30-30 hits a rock chuck, it sounds like a watermellon tossed out of a second story window.

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2018 at 12:56am
Print Post  
You don't even get the plop when you hold low with a  110 gr in a .270. and skid the round off a granite slab.
All that is left is the skin, skull and paws and a bit of magpie bait. Two-seventy had a Weaver K4 with a 12X adapter. 

On the  other hand I put a kirksite round thru a similar chuck and all it did was drop from vertical to horizontal. I sat there for 5 min waiting for movement. Finally walked up: I'd nailed it dead center vertical ... and may have disrupted the nervous system.

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 23rd, 2018 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I've disposed of a few of these, we call them whistle pigs.   
Had an incident one time, we were dispatching a few and unbeknownst to those of us doing the dispatching there was a group of treehuggers doing a photo shoot of these little pigs, good thing we had our earplugs in and couldn't hear what they were saying, I could have been offended.    Smiley

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2018 at 11:52am
Print Post  
We used to shoot them in Eastern Oregon around Long Creek. We'd shoot until we couldn't handle a barrel from the heat, and then wait for guns to cool. Within minutes of stopping the turkey vultures would begin circling and in a few minutes there wouldn't be a single dead ground squirrel in sight.
The rancher who let us shoot on his property was hesitant at first, but soon was asking us if we were coming back next year! He lost a fair number of cows to broken legs from their burrows.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 24th, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Did you have a backup with a stopper rifle in case you got charged by a wounded chuck? Maybe we need a thread along the lines of; "is the 25-20 suitable for chucks?".

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - May 24th, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Now you have me worried!  I wonder if I can somehow mount my 1903 Springfield bayonet on my Stevens 218 Bee.  Shocked

Twitter  
IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 24th, 2018 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
A rock chuck town out on prairie in Colorado?? Sure that was not a gopher that looked so big as a rock chuck through that 20X scope and 200 yds of mirage?? Rock chucks live high up in mountains. Could you have gotten lost, or memory faded that badly, or were you driving through Rocky Mtn. Natl. Park on Trail Ridge Road -- plenty of nice 200M shots at real rock chucks up there at 10,000-12,000 feet. Use of live ammo illegal, but with your imagination, no problem.

In a previous, similar post it was a gopher that grasped its breast so dramatically and pirouetted so nicely when shot -- memorable performance thanks to something magical about flat pointed 25-20SS cast bullet??

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint