Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Woodchucks (Read 28292 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Woodchucks
Reply #30 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:17am
Print Post  
They didn't plant any when I was a kid.  They fattened themselves real good.  Penneywise Drug in Nampa used to have a tail feather contest.  They gave away a MEC reloader or Browning over and under every year for the longest tail feather.  If it wasn't 36" there was no point in entering.  Undecided  I wanted one of those Brownings so bad, but too much money.  Now I got one and no place to use it.  No justice in this world  Cry  It probably would not have hit anymore than my Stevens sxs.  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:23am
Print Post  
We had an old Rhode Island Red hen that was a good setter.
Dad got a call from the Game bird hatchery to come and get the pheasant eggs that he put his name on the list for.
That night, we went out and snuck those eggs in under her.
Couple of days later, they hatched, and that hen was just happy as could be.
Lasted about two weeks... those pheasant chicks were a wild bunch and on the run from the get-go. By the end of the month, they had all headed off to parts unknown.
She did better with mallard duck eggs, until the ducklings got old enough and found the pond. That old saying about "madder than a wet hen" is true.    Grin

There's rock chucks up in the Okanogan north of Wenatchee, but the locals call them "greasers".
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:28am by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:27am
Print Post  
I don't know where they went in winter.  Come about Nov 1 when the chilly winds started to blow the ducks in from Canada, they disappeared.  If you spotted one, it ran on the ground about 1/4 mile ahead. They may have hibernated like bear  Undecided  About the time the corn started to sprout, they popped up and cleared the first few rows off the edge of the fields.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Bob,
Back in my younger days in the midwest, hunting didn't start until there was snow on the ground.
You'd look for tracks and the tail skid in the snow and follow them up to a tall grass patch, then flush them out.
They didn't hibernate, but now and then when a snowstorm was brewin', you could see where they would intentionally fly straight into a snowbank, part of which would collapse in behind them mostly sealing up the hole in the snowbank, and leaving them snug and relatively warm in their snow cave.
If you watched for it, sometimes you could see the tips of their tails sticking out of the snowbank, so you'd set your shotgun down, and do a belly flop on top of the hole, stick your arms in the snow and start grabbing to get ahold of some part of them, then just ring their neck, and you saved a shotshell for the next bird to fly.
China roosters were fun!

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:51am
Print Post  
BP, We didn't have snow that deep.  Not a lot of wind, but it would get cold. Too cold to walk 3/8 mile and wait for the school bus  Grin I remember one winter it didn't get up to 0 for a month.  Ground frozen solid all winter.  I liked that.  Can't haul frozen cow manure.   Cry  It got down close to 20 below a lot.  Coldest I remember was -32 when I went out to milk.  Fortunately, dead still. We shot starlings in the feed lot all winter.  They will eat a ton of silage a day if you let them  Angry

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:55am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:34am:
It was very cold and windy when I was a kid. When they built circle irrigation in the seventies the cold winters stopped. Get a skiff of snow and stay at 31. treacherous driving. 

Joe.

So that is what started global warming.  Those circles!

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 3:16am
Print Post  
I don't doubt that.  My grandpa lived around Big Timber for a couple years.  He said the wind would blow kernel corn off the top of a wagon load.  He couldn't live there, not enough bags to roll up the kids I guess.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 8:46am
Print Post  
BP wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:04am:
All over the place in the New England States...

Where they haven't been torn down to make way for subdivisions (in which case, the stones are sold to landscapers to create "instant" 200 yr old fences for the rich who come up from the city to build million-dollar "2nd homes"--or 3rd or 4th), they're highways for all the small mammals in the vicinity, which either run on top of them, or like foxes & coyotes, trot along beside them.  Where they border open pastures, the brush wood that grows up beside them provides the only shade & cover around for someone hunting woodchucks, as I once did.  Any chuck I killed was always placed on top of the nearest wall, or preferably at an intersection of two, and would usually have been carried off by the next day.

IP Logged

mijo

Reply #38 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Here's a few of the 58 chucks I've shot this year. Low wall lined to 32-20 with a Fecker scope.
Pat

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Isn't that a bear gun? Good job on the 'chucks, anyway. Wink

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Do they make a good chuck roast?

JS

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
JS47 wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:21pm:

JS

Excellent! I've eaten the meat, though some one else did the cooking, so I can't explain the preparation.  And why would woodchuck be any less palatable than squirrel, another rodent?

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #42 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
The coyote story is somewhat true, somewhat myth. No doubt coyotes moved east big time, BUT, a few years back a couple big time woodchuck shooters, one a highly respected veterinarian told me that for years, particularly in the Northeast, chucks got decimated by a virulent strain of hepatitis.
This year, in upstate NY, we hit the road for the first time in a while and in May, the first trip we saw 25 in 1/2 a day, and shot a few. They're battling back.
That said, to the point, I still have a soft spot for classic based rifles and shoot, all in HW's a 219 Zipper, 225, & R2 as well as modern SS in 22-250 & 20 TAC.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

tim_s
Oldtimer

Reply #43 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:31pm:
JS47 wrote on Jun 17th, 2018 at 6:21pm:

JS

Excellent! I've eaten the meat, though some one else did the cooking, so I can't explain the preparation.  And why would woodchuck be any less palatable than squirrel, another rodent? 

Maybe because they're 15 times tougher.

“ I don’t have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you”

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
tim_s wrote on Jun 18th, 2018 at 4:17pm:

Maybe because they're 15 times tougher.

Not the meat I ate.  Never cooked a chuck, but have cooked plenty of squirrels, & learned quickly that if I didn't use a crock-pot, or some other method of SLOW cooking, a meat-grinder was the next best choice.  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint