Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens Favorite (Read 33633 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens Favorite
Reply #45 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Chuckster wrote on Aug 5th, 2017 at 2:55pm:
You are welcome, but Phil drew the picture. I just put numbers on it.
Note there is still significant vertical load on the pivot pin. Just oversizing the hole could cause problems.
Chuck

Right.  It should be elongated.  Minor diameter of the oval being line-to-line with the pin diameter.

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
While elongating the BB pivot might help, using the BB that came with a rifle. If you start with a new, water cut BB, you can fit it with contact to the frame but, the forces on the BB, try to rotate the BB down and away from the pivot, pushing it away from the contact area so, there is no direct resistance. The loads will be shared by both link and BB/frame contact. My guess is, because the contact, is on a angle (down and away), the link will still take most of the force.

If a RB type hammer is used, there is direct resistance. The wider contact area (full bb width) and larger pins, distribute the loads, over much a wider area, amounting to much better wear resistance.

The press fit pins, take out any impact wear, caused by clearance, between parts and would help prevent "creep" in the soft frame material (look up metal creep) and a heat treated BB and hammer would minimize it, on the contact surfaces between them.

I have two 44's (both 32/40) with a hammer lugs. the contact surface, is very small and the one that had been used more (newer one with "bolts"), makes contact but, the clearnance has open and does not hold the BB from moving, until the clearance has been taken up. HT surfaces would make that last longer but, there is not much contact surface, to begin with. 

I re-barreled it, in 32/20 and it stretched cases with 1300 fps, 180 gr loads. 30K by QL. I believe the RB type hammer would have kept that from happening in that pressure range. the rifle is now a breech seating 22RF, w/o issue, as would be expected.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Yah, therein lies the problem with all rolling blocks.  If there's clearance enough for the hammer to fall freely, then the breechblock must deflect a little before it encounters any support. In our case, if the linkage is properly preloaded on lockup, this has to come from elastic deformation of the linkage parts. All we can do is minimize it by very careful fitting of the hammer lug.  No wonder Stevens didn't make many of them. 

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Aug 5th, 2017 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Aug 5th, 2017 at 7:42pm:
Yah, therein lies the problem with all rolling blocks.  If there's clearance enough for the hammer to fall freely, then the breechblock must deflect a little before it encounters any support. In our case, if the linkage is properly preloaded on lockup, this has to come from elastic deformation of the linkage parts. All we can do is minimize it by very careful fitting of the hammer lug.  No wonder Stevens didn't make many of them. 

With the RB type lock up (not hammer lug), the geometery can be set, so that there is a camming effect, as the two substanually larger surfaces, come together and in the last part of the travel, it can take up, all clearance, and still not have enough friction to stop it's movement.

This, of course, requires a high level of accuracy, fitting the parts but, with todays CNC machining, it wouldn't be a problem.

A problem with multiple links, is that they all have to have clearance to be able to move. Making links slightly longer helps take up clearance but, will add to the wear of each joint. 

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #49 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Lots yet to do but here's the progress report

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #50 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
more

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #51 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
more

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #52 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
wish I knew how to post all photos in one post.

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #53 - Aug 9th, 2017 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
getting to be a long project

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #54 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
now only missing a firing pin.....and bluing and checkering.

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #55 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
I ordered a new extractor and firing pin from Wisner's INC....Jim also recommended his high tensile screws for the breech block and lever which I agreed to.....His thoughts were that the action should be fine with the mach 2 cartridge.

I'm going to try to broach the extractor cut in the chamber when the new extractor arrives.  I've made a single point broach for the milling machine.....photo available if anyone wants to see it.

BTW....the gun weighs in at a couple ounces over six pounds.

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #56 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Since I opted for a take down model, I might as well make a carry case for it....here's a start

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #57 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
box still has a ways to go.....

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #58 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Very muggy yesterday so I stayed inside where I have some AC.....and did some checkering.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Aug 16th, 2017 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
The gunsmithing talent that seems to abound in this group is amazing, at least to me.  And here it's exercised on a 1915 Favorite to boot.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint