Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens Favorite (Read 33636 times)
kensmachine
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens Favorite
Reply #15 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
1894's are know to shoot loose with High Velocity 22LF.

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #16 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
kensmachine wrote on Aug 1st, 2017 at 10:49pm:
1894's are know to shoot loose with High Velocity 22LF.

Thanks for the info.....as luck would have it.....I just traded (even up) for a heavier version....the 1915 model.

I'm learning a lot here as I was told I would!

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Good move.  The 1915's link is thicker than to 1894, better able to handle the pounding it gets, even though the pins are the same size.   

Downside is that they made no attempt to get the breechblock shoulders to bear in the frame, so the breechblock pivot screw carries all of the load.  But the pivot screw is bigger - about .217" vs. the .187 of the 1894.

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Here's a real strange Favorite that might handle the .17 HMR...
I'm not sure what Stevens was thinking...

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
That trigger arrangement takes it beyond strange.  But despite the buttplate, no real Favorite ever had, or needed, a falling-block for such anemic cartridges as .32 L. Got to be some experimental model on which, for convenience, a Favorite plate was attached.

Have you searched Grant for any mention of such a model?

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
The frame looks like a 44 1/2 but the triger droping down with the action open sure isn't 44 1/2. The barrel screw with the loop is Favorite. Got me confuses on this one.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
No mention by Grant, but check out Dutcher's description in the Jan '98 ASSRA News--another one just like it, except .25RF.  Says it was designed by Stevens man Bill Goyette.  Purpose of trigger design was to allow breech mechanism to be removed in one piece.

Doubt it could have been mfg. at a cost acceptable for a "boy's rifle."  Scaled up, it would have been an equal in strength of the 44 1/2, but since that model was already in production, maybe Stevens thought Goyette's design was redundant.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
If Dutcher's .25 RF example also appears fully and so nicely finished, tabbing the two rifles as experimentals or prototypes seems to me a stretch.  And why build examples only as rimfires when the action appears easily able to handle at least .22 and .25 CF cartridges?   

BP, is your example a boy/lady-sized gun?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 7:44am
Print Post  
It looks like a cross between a Page-Lewis and a Favorite. The Page-Lewis breech block was totally enclosed as is this one. It all dropped out of the action similar to a Ballard. Perhaps Mr. Lewis took this idea with him when he and Page were let go from Stevens.

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #24 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 8:47am
Print Post  
went to the woodpile and got some boards.....getting started is the trick.....

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017 at 11:43pm:
And why build examples only as rimfires when the action appears easily able to handle at least .22 and .25 CF cartridges?  

Too bad Mr. Goyette did not apply his mechanical ingenuity to the design of some kind of dual-use firing-pin, such as used by Marlin & Wesson--a lot more useful than a one-piece breech.

Dutcher found fault with the position of the hammer-spring, thought it should be re-designed.   

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 9:27am
Print Post  
vapodog wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 8:47am:
went to the woodpile and got some boards...

A woodpile like that ought to be stored in a bank vault.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Aug 3rd, 2017 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly wrote on Aug 3rd, 2017 at 7:44am:
It looks like a cross between a Page-Lewis and a Favorite. The Page-Lewis breech block was totally enclosed as is this one. It all dropped out of the action similar to a Ballard. Perhaps Mr. Lewis took this idea with him when he and Page were let go from Stevens.

Lewis, not Goyette, must be the true inventor.  Dutcher assumed Goyette was the inventor because his gun came from Goyette's family, and that's what the family told him.  (As Antiques Roadshow demonstrates over & over again, always beware of "family traditions"!)

However, Lewis has at least 20 pats. to his credit, but I found none for Goyette.  The one pertaining to this design is #1,459,108, granted 6-19-23, assigned to Page-Lewis, along with another for the P-L rear sight.

Most of Lewis' other pats. were assigned to Stevens, but I found none that resembles the design of these two falling-blocks, which look like they were mfgd. BEFORE the Savage take-over, after which Lewis left Stevens for P-L, then Winchester. 

Dutcher didn't like the vertical hammer spring, but DeHaas didn't criticize it--in fact, spoke rather well of the whole gun.

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #28 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 10:45am
Print Post  
I've seen a Favorite that was chambered for 25-20. I assume it was the WCF
but didn't ask. It was in a gunsmith's shop for a second try at the breechblock. 
The replacement block was 4140 and it failed so that certainly sets a point to avoid.
The 25-20 SS has about half the breechthrust so that MIGHT be an alternative.

A nice project for someone would be to make a nice alloy ( 4140 or 8620 ) version of the whole action.  It would be a labor of love since one certainly couldn't make it 
pay.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Aug 4th, 2017 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
desert-dude wrote on Aug 4th, 2017 at 10:45am:
A nice project for someone would be to make a nice alloy ( 4140 or 8620 ) version of the whole action.  It would be a labor of love since one certainly couldn't make it 
pay.

Isn't that what Savage did with their "improved" Favorite, the Model 30G?  Or has it gone out of production?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint