Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens Favorite (Read 33634 times)
jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Re: Stevens Favorite
Reply #75 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Vapodog,

Have you given any thought to putting a tang sight on your beautiful little Favorite? In my opinion, a Montana Vintage Arms #130 sight would look pretty classy on your rifle and give you a much longer sight radius for better accuracy.

By the way, you've done a fantastic job on your restoration of that rifle - it is stunning.

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #76 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
jy3855 wrote on Sep 25th, 2017 at 12:18am:
Vapodog,

Have you given any thought to putting a tang sight on your beautiful little Favorite? In my opinion, a Montana Vintage Arms #130 sight would look pretty classy on your rifle and give you a much longer sight radius for better accuracy.

By the way, you've done a fantastic job on your restoration of that rifle - it is stunning.

I'm somewhat of a cheapo guy.....That sight is $285 and I know some like it are far more expensive.

I would also have liked to install a Ballard style butt plate.....but every firearm I've built has had rubber on the butt.  Not because it's best but for safety reasons.  I'm really sold on the non-skid idea of rubber on all firearms.

My Favorite was indeed drilled and tapped for the Montana sight and I certainly concur that it would be the "bees knees" to install one there.....it's simply that I don't have the "coin" to do everything I want.....none of us do.....But thanks for the suggestion....Christmas is coming and I might just make some strong hints to Santa in this respect.

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #77 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I have two original screws left over from the project.  They were replaced by higher tensile screws from Wisner's parts shop but are in excellent condition and I will ship them free if you agree to pay the shipping costs....probably under $5.00

The screws are for the breech block and lever.   

Simply send me your name and mailing address via PM and I'll get them in the mail to you ASAP.

IP Logged

G._Scott_Jamieson

Reply #78 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your kind words regarding my BULLARD books, makes all the work worthwhile.  Incidentally Schiffer Publishing will have my EVANS ARMS book in their fall 2018 catalog.  No other details yet. 
However the purpose of my letter is to clarify the Bullard/Stevens side plate rifle.  I believe it to be authentic, here's why; thanks to my many correspondents who are so very generous with their acquisitions and are willing to share them, this letter from S.K. Hindley, (Bullard's replacement as the day to day manager of the Bullard Repeating Arms Company) to H.H. Bigelow (moneyman) dated June 12, 1886 states "We have a rifle made by Mr. Horr who is stocking our guns for a cheap gun.  I should think would fill the (void?) & can be made & sold at the Winchester price & get money back. Will say more about it next time."  Unfortunately I have no more letters until June 21st 1886 so know nothing further of what may have transpired except that we know the Bullard concern did nothing with it.  T.T. Cartwright was the stocking department at Bullard's but left to join Farrow in his rifle venture only to return to the Bullard fold sometime later when Horr left.  Horr knew everyone at the factory having shot on their indoor range many times.  This rifle will appear in my distant 3rd edition which will include basically only new material including all the letters I have copies of.  So long story short I believe the rifle to be very authentic.  Why Bullard never took it up will remain a mystery.  One of the sellers knows this information too since I passed it on to him.  So what's it worth, no idea, I'm not a Stevens collector and I never tied my research to gun values, one cannot devote so much time to research and be a collector too.  I also thought it unfair to use my knowledge for financial gain, the research is all the fun I need and to know that my readers enjoy my work.

Regards,

Scott Jamieson

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #79 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 10:31am
Print Post  
a shameless bump

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 11:10am
Print Post  
I see know reason to thread a Favorite action, two of the best shooting rim fire rifles ever made ( Anshultz and most BSA Martini ) are not threaded, if your worried about the barrel falling off use some 680 lock tite.  Ledball

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #81 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
I see this thread has revived, so I'll pass this along:   

In the course of my far less glamorous 1915 Favorite rehab and conversion to centerfire, I discovered last month that Jack First has new-made links for the 1915 that are better steel than the originals.  Reamed .1570" for 4mm pins the action tightened up to (probably) better than new.   

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #82 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Feb 26th, 2018 at 3:31pm:

In the course of my far less glamorous 1915 Favorite rehab and conversion to centerfire, I discovered last month that Jack First has new-made links for the 1915 that are better steel than the originals. 

Available for the '94 action?

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #83 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Yes there is:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2018 at 5:20pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint