Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens Favorite (Read 33638 times)
vapodog

Re: Stevens Favorite
Reply #60 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 9:54am
Print Post  
The metal parts have been shipped off to the bluing tanks..... so the checkering is all that I can do while I wait for them to return.

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #61 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 9:09am
Print Post  
desert-dude wrote on Aug 4th, 2017 at 10:45am:

A nice project for someone would be to make a nice alloy ( 4140 or 8620 ) version of the whole action.  It would be a labor of love since one certainly couldn't make it 
pay.

I've been sitting in front of my autocad software doing exactly that.....however it's easier said than done.  Some design changes will be necessary because I want it to handle the 22 hornet and .218 Bee.....

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 10:19am
Print Post  
The Hornet and Bee are too much for even the full size Model 44 action.   Don't even think about them for a Favorite-sized action.  The weak link is.....the link.  The geometry of the action puts a large compression load on the link with every firing.   Chuck Deats did some diagrams which I can send you.

You can get some small improvement by making the link pins larger, and making the link from through-hardened steel. (The originals were only case hardened!)   

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2017 at 10:29am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #63 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Sep 3rd, 2017 at 10:19am:
The Hornet and Bee are too much for even the full size Model 44 action.   Don't even think about them for a Favorite-sized action.  The weak link is.....the link.  The geometry of the action puts a large compression load on the link with every firing.   Chuck Deats did some diagrams which I can send you.

You can get some small improvement by making the link pins larger, and making the link from through-hardened steel. (The originals were only case hardened!)  

Thanks for the reply....but I'm considering very considerable design changes.....more of a 1885 style falling block

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #64 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
If you are going to use an 1885 style block, you will need to bring the shoulders of the receiver up to the centerline of the bore to handle a .218 Bee.
Chuck

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #65 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Chuckster wrote on Sep 5th, 2017 at 1:45pm:
If you are going to use an 1885 style block, you will need to bring the shoulders of the receiver up to the centerline of the bore to handle a .218 Bee.
Chuck

Thanks for that advice.....I'll accept it as it's intended.

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #66 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
There remains the task of making it shoot little tiny groups.....but other than that this project is about done.

Whattya think?

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #67 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
and more

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #68 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
one last post.....

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
I never thought I would ever see a Model 1915 Favorite that had any class.  Boy, was I wrong!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #70 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Beautiful gun. Beautiful work. It amazes me what you have done with an ordinary pain jane Favorite.

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #71 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 11:24pm:
I never thought I would ever see a Model 1915 Favorite that had any class.  Boy, was I wrong!

Bill Lawrence

Very kind words sir.....thank you very much.

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #72 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
I took the gun to the range today and after a few warning shots at the target managed to get it to shoot fairly well.

It's not suited for telescope sights so I focused at 25 yards with the irons I installed.....and was pleasantly surprised at a few dime sized groups.  It seemed to shoot better as the shooting continued but for now the Hornady HM 2 ammo is  a precious commodity.  I will shoot some more if the 1,000 rounds I ordered ever get here.....

All in all, it's a very pleasing hunting gun and ready to remove a few tree rats from their trees and make some great stew this fall.....

IP Logged

vapodog

Reply #73 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 4:55am
Print Post  
slumlord44 wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 11:54pm:
It amazes me what you have done with an ordinary pain jane Favorite.

I've been sitting in front of my autocad software trying to come up with a way to create a single shot that resembles this "plane Jane" design yet is strong enough to handle centerfire rounds such as the .22 Hornet or .218 Bee.

The more I work on this the more I have come to respect the  creativity that went into this design back in the late 1800's when such things as autocad had never been heard of.

Clearly the "firearm" has undergone an evolution in design starting with the basic fuse fired hand cannons and up to today.

It seems every work of art has it's pinnacle and modern day firearms is no exception.  If the Stevens company wasn't at the pinnacle in the industrial arts of firearms they were centainly close to it.

I actually put them in the same category as the Winchester 1885 and Ruger #1....bear in mind that these things must be produced inexpensively enough as to be affordable to large numbers of customers.

The fact that Savage actually produced this firearm with some modifications for many years after 1915 is testimony to it's  sophistication.

I am surprised that Savage didn't take it a step further and significantly beef up the internal design to handle such things as the .22 Hornet and retain as much of the overall appearance of the original product.....but apparently they didn't see any value in the single shot rifle as a real popular  stock item.  The market had turned to bolt actions of much greater power and accuracy..,.,....so be it

I fully understand your comment of "plain Jane".....but in fact, after working on this project I have come to believe the Stevens Favorite is anything but that.....my hat is off to the Stevens folks of the late 1800s that came up with this classic.  It's truly a work of art.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
They made a Delux Favorite and a Ladies Model Favorite that were definately not plain Jane. The 44 action was heavier and made for centerfire cartridges but not high pressure rounds. The late 44 Walnut Hill was chambered in .22 Hornet for a couple of years but they realised the actions would shoot loose and stoped productuon. I have one and shoot it sparingly with low end reloads. The 44 1/2 action was much better but unfortunately was droped after WWI when Savage took over. I have been collecting Stevens for many years and have aslways thought they had some of the best guns made for the time and still are great guns today.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint