Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 40-65 in a low wall. (Read 31125 times)
Oprod
Participating Member

40-65 in a low wall.
Dec 25th, 2015 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
So reading past posts it seems members of this forum are against having an older low wall chambered in 40-65. Doing some reading it seems there ate two diameters of barrel shanks. Some think the thicker shank might be alright. Others state low wall just isn't safe because there is not enough meat behind the block. My book on rifle actions state that the actions are good to about 40,000 cup. The 40-65 doesn't approach this pressure at least in black powder. So am I missing something? Have my numbers wrong?

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 40-65 in a low wall.
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
   It's not the pressure, per se, it's the FORCE.   Multiply the pressure x the area of the cartridge head, taking the diameter as the ID at the base. This will give you the rear-ward force on the block.
    That said, you still have to worry about the hoop stress on the bbl shank.   A bigger diameter case will put a lot more stress on the barrel shank than will a small case.   My personal opinion is that almost all single-shot blow-ups are failures of the barrel rather than the action.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
A number of people I've spoken with are under the assumption that a new barrel, with modern metallurgy, somehow fixes all these older guns with a weaker action design. The barrel metallurgy may be better, or the thread diameter may be larger, but it still doesn't change the design of the gun.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
How strong is a low wall compared to a forged-frame Ballard?  It seems to me, though in truth I don't know, that the Low Wall is as strong as a Ballard, and Ballards are chambered for 40-65, 45-70 and 45-90. Asking because I just don't know!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
We have a shooter who lets his 15yr-old daughter shoot a Low Wall in 38-55. I always stay away and wonder what he will think if it comes apart in his daughter's face. Something they would both carry with them the rest of their lives.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
jy3855 wrote on Dec 25th, 2015 at 6:41pm:
How strong is a low wall compared to a forged-frame Ballard?  It seems to me, though in truth I don't know, that the Low Wall is as strong as a Ballard, and Ballards are chambered for 40-65, 45-70 and 45-90. Asking because I just don't know!

The low wall was made in two sizes. Pretty sure the larger one had the same size barrel shank the hiwall has. (The large shank hiwall).

In my opinion the large lowall with large shank is strong enough for the 40-65 W but with BP or safe low pressure smokeless loads. Not heavy duplex loads. 

Ballard VS Lowall for strength?  The Ballard will let you know when it is being stressed. First sign is the lever pin bends. A sure sign is when you fire a shot and the action falls open. The lowall being a true falling block fails at the breech block mortise first. Any action and any rifle can be blown up. Double charge a lowall chambered in 44-40 or 32-20, etc. 

I use a Lowall in 32-40 with BP and smokeless. Have been using it for many years. My kids and X's, fellow shooters and girlfriends have used it with no problems. Has several bazzillion rounds through it. 

Should you chamber a lowall in 40-65? Can you load save ammunition?   

Two lowalls, one chambered in 32-40 and the other 38-55. Both have a bazzillions of rounds through them. Nobody runs and hides.   

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
I don't understand the thing about the lowall win. I have an Aydt rifle chambered in 38-55. Weak action with absolutely nothing supporting the rear of the breech block. Never any mention of other weak actions, just the poor picked on lowall. I think it's sort of politically correct. And posters like that little feather in their cap. 

Joe.
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2015 at 2:17am by westerner »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Why do it when you can get a HiWall. 

On the other hand how about low number 03's.  You could in theory shoot them with 1600 FPS cast bullet loads, no one does it. We do shoot smokless loads in Trapdoors and Kraigs holding pressure  down. Not a bit safer than a low number 03.   

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
MVA has actions for sale. Got to drool over two at Butte a couple weeks ago. One was a plain single trigger. The other was a double set. 

Joe.

IP Logged

Oprod
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
I ask because I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've bought a low wall in 40-65. It has been actively shot for 5-6 years and been to nationals twice. The action is tight and smooth. I asked the smith at the time he was making the gun, why a low wall and we discussed my reservations at the time. He pointed me to the pressures of the cartridge and those of the reciever and said with the new badger barrel, it would be fine. i was thinking the afore mentioned 38-55 was a higher pressure cartridge then the 40-65, so Mabry im alright?

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 1:50am
Print Post  
Let me add this, regarding the LW. 

1. If it's the 40/65 Win. and the small shank LW, you only have a wall thickness of .140, not much in my book but, 44 mag, revolvers have a simlar wall thickness.

2. Watch your brass for head seperation. If the breech block flexes, the case will stretch and the head will seperate. The flexing of the block can cause a crack, in the mortice. If that happens, I personally wouldn't shoot it and would rebarrel in a smaller caliber.

I have a LW, cambered in 357 Max. I don't run Max pressures but, I have run it at close to 40,000 PSI, with both fixed and BSed, w/o problems. I did at least a 100 rounds at those kind of pressures but most of my shooting have been in the <30k psi range. It was a 357 Mag, when I got it and I do not know how many rounds went throught before I got it. ALSO, it's a original, re-bored, #2, octagon, 32 Long, Win barrel. Scary huh?

Basic bolt thrust with my Max @ 40K = 4400 psi, @ 30k = 3300 psi. 40/65 @ 20k = 3900 psi.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #11 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 2:15am
Print Post  
Oprod wrote on Dec 25th, 2015 at 11:27pm:
I ask because I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've bought a low wall in 40-65. It has been actively shot for 5-6 years and been to nationals twice. The action is tight and smooth. I asked the smith at the time he was making the gun, why a low wall and we discussed my reservations at the time. He pointed me to the pressures of the cartridge and those of the reciever and said with the new badger barrel, it would be fine. i was thinking the afore mentioned 38-55 was a higher pressure cartridge then the 40-65, so Mabry im alright?

Which lowall do you have?

Joe. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 10:09am
Print Post  
I think the question of "why a Low wall" is simply answered. Because they're plentiful, and always much cheaper than a High Wall. Same reason many people choose a cast frame Ballard to build a .32-40 or .38-55 rifle. They're plentiful, and cheaper. 
I personally think you can get away with it on a Low wall, or a cast frame Ballard, but still wonder when or if it will decide to give at some point. I know a couple shooters who've shot a cast frame Ballard in a rifle cartridge for years, and think all the warnings are silly. So far they've proven my concern to be unfounded.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
we only get two eyes and ten fingers.  these are old actions_ or rifles  who knows how much abuse they have seen in the past 100 years?   best   art

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #14 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Friend took off the tip of his thumb when he burst the barrel of his new Shiloh Sharps. He now has eight fingers and two and seven eighths thumbs. 

Joe.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Dec 26th, 2015 at 1:18pm:
Friend took off the tip of his thumb when he burst the barrel of his new Shiloh Sharps. He now has eight fingers and two and seven eighths thumbs. 

Joe.

Eight + two and seven eighths = ten and seven eighths

Huh

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #16 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
He was all thumbs.

Joe

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
OK, I will give a lecture.  Roll Eyes Any action with the reaction shoulders below the center line of the bore is a concern due to twisting of the breech block.
This can result in reaction loads up to 1.5X the cartridge thrust on a Stevens 44 action.

The Ballard is the only action I know of that uses angles and direction of forces to reduce reaction loads. The angle of the shoulder and the tail of the breech block react the twisting beautifully.
There is almost no load from firing on the linkage of a Ballard. 

The Low-Wall breech block works like a pry-bar without any support on the lower left extractor side, so it tries to twist in two directions
This puts the highest load on the upper rear right hand shoulder which can crack the casehardening.

Neither action is going to fail catastrophically unless the barrel fails, as Frank suggested. Probably just batter, bend or crack if overloaded.
Exception is the cast Ballard, because I don't know how brittle the material is.
Believe a forged Ballard is considerably stronger than a Low-Wall, but neither is in the same class as an action a higher reaction shoulders.
Chuck
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2015 at 5:14pm by Chuckster »  

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Joe, 2 7/8's that means he still has 7/8's of a thumb to play with and still have all 10 digits the rest of us have.  All kidding aside I always worry that the next owner might want to take my old rifle on an elephant hunt and load it up to the max with ball powder and jacketed bullets and where will that leave him after the dust settles?  This coming from a man who hunts with a rolling block in 250 Savage that I know could be easily overloaded.

Twitter  
IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Chuck,

Thank you for that explanation.

IP Logged

LTC B

Reply #20 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 6:28am
Print Post  
Why would chambering a low wall in 40-65 be any different than chambering a low wall in 45-70? The back-thrust should be the same and the wall thickness, at the base, should be the same.

??

I've never seen a low wall in 45-70. Also, the modern metallurgy, etc., argument may be sound with the barrel, but the receiver is still soft steel case hardened, so no appreciable difference with the action (that is, modern vs. antique), yes?

I agree with the observation that most SS blowups are the barrel cracking in hoop stress and blowing out the barrel mounting section and more. I'm not as experienced as 90% of this board, but I don't recall a bolt blowup, just a barrel K-Boom.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #21 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Hmmm? I didn't see anyone saying the .45-70 was OK in a Low Wall?

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #22 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Look you can chamber a low wall for anything you want just don't shoot it next to anyone else especially me. Your free to blow yourself up just try not to take innocent shooters with you in the blast.

40 Rod

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 10:09am
Print Post  
OK, so here's a Low Wall question from a newbie.  When I load smokeless powder loads  for my high walls and keep the pressures below 30K c.u.p. (per Lyman handbook), I feel that I've got a huge margin of safety.

I will soon be a Low Wall owner and shooter who still wants to tread comfortably on the safe side of pressures.  What level of pressure should I consider as max? Lyman lists 22K c.u.p. for a group of rifles including the "Winchester Single Shots". Seems like 22K is a very conservative ceiling for a Low Wall, but again, I'm a newbie when it comes to Low Walls who wants to treat his Low Walls respectfully and pass them on in excellent shape eventually.

Calibers are 25-20 and 44 WCF.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2015 at 11:54am by jy3855 »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
While most people think it's dangerous to shoot a 40/65 in a LW, they think nothing of shooting the 38/40 or 44/40 in one and there is only .034 difference in case heads, between the two cartridges. Using modern steel barrels, the CASE HEAD is the limiting factor, it's what generates the thrust on the BB. You can double charge any case, no matter what pressure it's designed for and you can shoot low enough pressures on the even HV cartridges to be safe. Remember that the 44/40 had a HV loading and someone could use that load data.

My own personal thoughts on the LW is that I would limit it to the the 32/40 case head size and mark it for 32/40 or 38/55 BP only with a modern steel barrel and NOT one made of 12L14 or 1137-44. I personally saw one of those come apart with a double charge in a cast, 32/40 Ballard. 

I think that my application of up to 30k pressures on the 357 Mag/Max case is safe (Frank Dehaas thought 42K with the 357 Mag was safe) and mark it 38XL for future owners. The 25/20ss would be even safer and could be shot at any velocity that a 120 gr, PB bullet could be shot.

I would also, inspect the mortice and breech block, before re-barreling. Maybe even Magnaflux the action.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Many years ago a certain J. R. Buhmiller, in the April 1929 Rocky Mountain Sportsman magazine, published an account of trying to find the strength of a high wall. He managed to shoot loads up to about three times the Lyman pressure you quoted without totally destroying the thing. Busted hammers, blown out firing pins, and a bulged sidewall, along with hard extraction (to say the least), were what he managed. 
Wouldn't it be nice if he'd thought to try out similar on a low wall? Surely some were hotrodding that one as well. But, he didn't seem to do so. So, my guess is that the low wall has gotta be, say, half as strong as it's big brother. In that guess, Frank's mention of DeHass' pressure estimation would about hold up well. But, I'd be much more inclined to stick with Frank and keep the pressure down below there, as his 30k, with that size case head indicated. It's good advice. And, just my opinion.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply Frank.  Well, low-pressure load data it is for me and the 44-40 then.

If I want to sling pistol bullets downrange at relatively high speeds from a rifle, the Lyman 410459 Keith bullet over 10 grains of Unique is a fun load from my 40-65 C. Sharps High Wall.

I am cautious not to double charge cases.  I load in blocks and and after the block's cases are full, I use one of the little LED flashlights to look down into the case at an angle. By looking at an angle, I am not relying solely on depth perception to check the charge, but looking at where the top of the powder column intersects the case wall in a row of cases.

Every once in a while I intentionally throw a double charge in a case just to see what one looks like.

I'll feel OK running the 25-20 a little hotter, but well on the safe side.

Thanks again for the advice,

IP Logged

LTC B

Reply #27 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 29th, 2015 at 9:32am:

Apparently I didn't make myself clear enough. If the 40-65 is OK in a low wall, a 45-70 should also be OK in a low wall, as the pressure and thrust should be inconsequentially different. And, people are talking about a 40-65 being OK in this thread.

Or have I got that wrong? If so, why?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #28 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
LTC B wrote on Dec 29th, 2015 at 2:26pm:
marlinguy wrote on Dec 29th, 2015 at 9:32am:

Apparently I didn't make myself clear enough. If the 40-65 is OK in a low wall, a 45-70 should also be OK in a low wall, as the pressure and thrust should be inconsequentially different. And, people are talking about a 40-65 being OK in this thread.

Or have I got that wrong? If so, why?

I didn't see anyone flat out saying the .40-65 was safe either. There was mention of .40-65 BP loads, and being safe in a LW with certain restrictions.
In my opinion, if a particular action was chambered by the manufacturer, and survived over 100 years, then it's proven to be safe enough. If we start chambering them in different calibers, with caveats added to the cartridge/gun combination, then I question the chambering of the cartridge.
I suppose we could do a Ruger warning on the barrel, so any owner forever would have the limitations engraved there for his notification.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Are we now taking the position that its all good to go until it comes apart?     Huh

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #30 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Dec 29th, 2015 at 7:55pm:
Are we now taking the position that its all good to go until it comes apart?     Huh

No, not me, I'm just a caretaker. I'm expected to pass them on in good shape!

BTW, my comments above notwithstanding about the prudence of a 40-65 in a LW, MY 40-65 is built on a High Wall. 

Besides, You folks have schooled me on the relative strengths of the Ballard and the Low Wall. I'm convinced by the "don't do it" opinions.

Glad to be here and learning.
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2015 at 9:57am by jy3855 »  

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #31 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Its all fun and games till somebody looses an eye.
As far as being the caretaker assume that whoever gets the rifle after you is a drooling idiot. That is either he’ll fill the thing full of powder cause he can or he’ll double charge the thing. Either way sooner or later somebody will do something stupid with it somewhere down the line.
I’ve seen a lot of gunsmiths who have advocated stupid things with single shots.

40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #32 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 10:44am
Print Post  
I agree that we need to assume that the next person might do something stupid. But I'm sure not going to do something to enable him. But there are numerous examples of the various factories 100+ years ago that tried things and then discontinued them later. A good example are the Ballard #2 that were built in both .44-40 and .44 Long. They are fairly uncommon today simply because Marlin decided the cartridges were too much for the cast frame. But I've never heard of one blowing up, or shooting loose. I've owned 3 in .44-40, and still own one in .44 Extra Long, and all were/are tight.
Stevens also offered the 44 in both .38-55, .32-40, and several other calibers, that they dropped later. I have seen all of those with loose pins, but never seen or heard of one blowing up.
I doubt most people today would buy an original Ballard or Stevens in these calibers, and feel they should rebarrel them to smaller cartridges, just because some dolt will overload them after they move them along later.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Quote:
I doubt most people today would buy an original Ballard or Stevens in these calibers, and feel they should rebarrel them to smaller cartridges, just because some dolt will overload them after they move them along later.

My very first SS (1985) was a 44 Stevens, 32/40, #3 barrel, with a 7 O'clock extrator. A beautiful rifle. The barrel is perfect inside and almost outside, the rifle still had the factory grease inside it when I bought it. I've shot it with both BP and smokeless but, I doubt that I will ever replace that beautiful barrel.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #34 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Dec 30th, 2015 at 11:03am:
Quote:

My very first SS (1985) was a 44 Stevens, 32/40, #3 barrel, with a 7 O'clock extrator. A beautiful rifle. The barrel is perfect inside and almost outside, the rifle still had the factory grease inside it when I bought it. I've shot it with both BP and smokeless but, I doubt that I will ever replace that beautiful barrel.

Frank

Hope you're the owner rather than the "caretaker", Frank. 

This talk about caretakers and what will happen after we sell a rifle or pass on reminds me of teenage girl talk. 

I own my rifles and I don't loose any sleep over who has them after I'm gone. 

Same as when I sell a car or motorcycle.  Nothing but negative thinking. 

Joe. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #35 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Owner, or caretaker; they're mine for now. I paid good money for them, and I have no death wish. So I'll do all I can to keep them together, but wont stop shooting any of them. I've owned guns I was concerned about shooting for various reasons. Some NIB, or in scary calibers. Didn't keep them because I couldn't or didn't want to shoot them. 
I love collecting old singles, but if I couldn't shoot them too, I'd lose interest quickly.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Like Vall said, I paid good money for them and own them - they're mine.  I don't see the caretaker point of view as some namby-pamby politically correct tripe, but as a way of looking at certain historical pieces of my collection that were made before my parents were born, and hopefully, through careful use and proper preservation, will continue to be shootable and collectible long after I'm gone.  It's like a reminder to myself not to treat them casually and carelessly, even though they are mine right now.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #37 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I don't want to treat the historic arms that I currently own the way that the Taliban treat the antiquities that have unfortunately come under their control.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
I like your approach.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 1:50am
Print Post  
I knew of a couple Pope barrels that were cut off.  One because it was too heavy for offhand  Cry  Another because the owner didn't like the extra holes in the muzzle so he cut them off, smoothed it up and recrowned  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #40 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 10:18am
Print Post  
jy3855 wrote on Dec 31st, 2015 at 9:33pm:
I don't want to treat the historic arms that I currently own the way that the Taliban treat the antiquities that have unfortunately come under their control.

What? Where did that come from?  A bit extreme, don't you think?   

Do you really feel you might destroy antiquities??   Undecided

Joe. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #41 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jan 1st, 2016 at 1:50am:
I knew of a couple Pope barrels that were cut off.  One because it was too heavy for offhand  Cry  Another because the owner didn't like the extra holes in the muzzle so he cut them off, smoothed it up and recrowned  Cry

Nothing new there. AW Peterson bored out and relined numerous Geo. Schoyen barrels to .22LR back in the day. Shooters have rarely been collectors in the past. Today's shooters are mostly cognizant of values, and  shooter/collectors, who don't do harm to historically significant guns.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 1st, 2016 at 10:18am:
jy3855 wrote on Dec 31st, 2015 at 9:33pm:

What? Where did that come from?  A bit extreme, don't you think?  

Do you really feel you might destroy antiquities??   Undecided

Joe. 

I agree, the example is an exaggeration, but they're not making some of these guns anymore.  It would be nice to pass them on so that they can be enjoyed anew.  As much as I enjoy owning and shooting old rifles, I would like them to be enjoyed as long as possible.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #43 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
I think we're doing a heck of a lot better than the flyers who crashed and tore up most of the P51 Mustangs from WW2. 

I'd venture to say many more old single shots have been restored back to their former glory than have been ruined. 

Joe.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
We have been down the road on cartridges for a Low-wall action.
de Haas states it is adequate for the .357 Mag. cartridge, which seems high, but shows examples.
FrankOre suggests something below 32-40/38-55 class cartridges which is more reasonable.
All are higher than what the factory did, but have been used without damage to body parts.

The attached chart uses SAAMI Cartridge Base Diameter and Maximum Average Pressure to determine and compare the cartridge thrust for cartridges that might be used in a Low-Wall.
Nothing new, just shown differently.
Chuck 

Chart modified based on Frank's comments.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2016 at 2:16pm by Chuckster »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 11 KB | 61 Downloads )

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #45 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Chuck,
My suggestion was for 32/40, 38/55 BP pressures, in the 20k - 24k range as a max pressure and 30k for the 357 case head as a safe range in the LW.

Quote:
My own personal thoughts on the LW is that I would limit it to the the 32/40 case head size and mark it for 32/40 or 38/55 BP only 

I think that my application of up to 30k pressures on the 357 Mag/Max case is safe

Great chart BTW.

Frank
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2016 at 5:28pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Chuck,
Would loading the 25-20 WCF to 1680 fps and a 120 gr bullet move it to another curve out?  Bob

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
That's a cool chart- I like having stuff visually presented like that. I don't always believe that the charts have been supplied with accurate info, but this one is pretty believable. 
Like I said earlier, my opinions run to about the same as Frank's do. I like the little low walls, but wouldn't trust one with too much of a thumper ahead of the breech block. There are enough high walls around to never need to test the theory, though. 
Thanks for the chart, Chuckster. Happy New Year, everyone. Smiley

IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #48 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Dec 26th, 2015 at 1:18pm:

Joe.

Huh Without any details of this incident, the mention of it means absolutely nothing. What led to your friend bursting his new Shiloh Sharps barrel?  Undecided 

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Shooting squib loads caused by moisture in the cases smokeless rather than pulling the bullets.  Of course, a gift of gab combined with forgetting to check the barrel for obstruction before shooting the next squib was a receipe for disaster.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #50 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jan 1st, 2016 at 7:49pm:
Shooting squib loads caused by moisture in the cases smokeless rather than pulling the bullets.  Of course, a gift of gab combined with forgetting to check the barrel for obstruction before shooting the next squib was a receipe for disaster.

Thanks for the response. This type result ending in a burst barrel could happen in any modern firearm constructed of the best steels, and not firearm or design specific i.e. Shiloh Sharps. By the way, what caliber was it?

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #51 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 12:13am
Print Post  
Dave told me he was so excited to shoot his new Shiloh Sharps, he didn't dry the brass enough when loading ammo. Had one stick in the barrel and shot another round. I thought he was using BP. Happened a long time ago. He was real sensitive about it.

Joe.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 12:30am
Print Post  
He had shot BP, was in a hurry to try smokeless, washed the brass, put it in the oven to dry it fast.  He didn't get it all dry.   

He got to shooting the breeze during cease fire and forgot the last shot had been a squib and there was a bullet about half way down the barrel.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #53 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 10:44am
Print Post  
In an earlier post concerning Low Walls and .32-40 caliber chambers, it was pointed out by a member that Winchester did chamber the Low Wall in .32-40 in limited numbers. So even the factory thought it was OK at some point.

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #54 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Perhaps the factory decided that the 32-40 was not a good idea after doing some ie they realized it was a mistake. The major problem with the Low Wall is the block is not supported above the center line of the bore. The thrust from the breach block is placed on the top of the rear of the frame. I have seen many low walls with cracks at that point.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #55 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
fallingblock wrote on Jan 2nd, 2016 at 12:45pm:
Perhaps the factory decided that the 32-40 was not a good idea after doing some ie they realized it was a mistake. The major problem with the Low Wall is the block is not supported above the center line of the bore. The thrust from the breach block is placed on the top of the rear of the frame. I have seen many low walls with cracks at that point.
Cheers,
Laurie

I would guess you're correct. Many makers have offered calibers that seem questionable today, and the number made would indicate the makers determined it wasn't a good idea. In the case of the Low Wall and .32-40, I only see an occasional picture, and the only ones I've held were reworked to the caliber.
I've seen many more Ballard #2 in .44-40, and believe Marlin made a fair amount before they dropped the cartridge. See a very small number in .44 Long, which seem much rarer than those in .44-40, but probably because it wasn't a big seller, and switched to .44-40 quickly.
Have had several Stevens 44 in .44-40, and .38-40, which tells me they sold a fair amount. Have seen and owned a number of Win. Low Walls in .44-40, or .38-40, and assume that it was offered for a number of years also. 

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
(Quote Frankore)
"My suggestion was for 32/40, 38/55 BP pressures, in the 20k - 24k range as a max pressure and 30k for the 357 case head as a safe range in the LW."

Frank,
Misunderstood or maybe just assumed. Sorry for the misquote. Chart has been modified.

(Quote Old-Win)
"Would loading the 25-20 WCF to 1680 fps and a 120 gr bullet move it to another curve out?  Bob"

Bob,
Don't know. Can only read tables. Guessing somewhere  near the .218 Bee.
Chuck

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #57 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Chuck Smiley

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #58 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 9:37am
Print Post  
While I agree that a 32-40 is on the raggedy edge of safety a 32-40 is not a 40-65. The 40-65 uses a lot more powder and produces a lot more recoil than a 32-40. There has to be a more appropriate action to shoot a 40-65 than a Winchester Low Wall. This seems like I have this low wall action and I want a 40-65 so lets put my self and everybody near me in danger because I’m too laze to look for a proper action.

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Build it then go to sell, nobody is going to buy a 40/65 low wall. 

Whole idea is ridiculous .

Boats

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #60 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 11:44am
Print Post  
But I think there is a shooter or shooters that have been using one for a long time. For silhouettes.   

Can't sell it?   

Joe. 

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Qualify my can't sell, to anybody with any sense that is 

Boats

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy,
I asked Bert Hartman over on the Winchester Collectors website about 32-40 chamberings.  He's been studying the records for a long time and this is what he posted.  Maybe we can put all those 32-40 rumors to rest now.  Bob

In my search of the records, I have not confirmed a single low-wall made in 32-40. Winchester stated in their very early catalogs that they would not make them in that caliber. In my travels, I have seen three low-walls in 32-40, with two of them being obvious fakes (they lettered in a different cartridge). The only Model 1885 "low-wall" I have found that might be original in 32-40 is a very late production Schuetzen with a third variation low-wall frame. It looked correct, but there is no way to say with 100% certainty.

Bert

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Please use the chart I published on page 3 of this thread with extreme caution.
While it is correct for Copper Units of Pressure (CUP), it does not reflect pressure transducer data.

For example: 
For a 45-70, the CUP and transducer data are the same at 28KSI.
For a .357 Mag., The CUP is 45KSI while the transducer data shows 35KSI. This would make a significantly different de Haas curve.
Transducer data is not available for all cartridges, particularly older cartridges.
Sorry if this caused any problems.
Chuck

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #64 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:10am
Print Post  
In another section there is a thread about people blowing up Sharps repros with 40-65 loads of 5744 and wads. How long do you think it’s going to be before someone who has built a 40-65 on a low wall is foolish enough to load it with 5744 and a wad down on the powder? Will you be next to him or her when it finally lets go? It’s not about how many times you get away with foolishness its about the one time that you don’t. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:10am:
In another section there is a thread about people blowing up Sharps repros with 40-65 loads of 5744 and wads. How long do you think it’s going to be before someone who has built a 40-65 on a low wall is foolish enough to load it with 5744 and a wad down on the powder? Will you be next to him or her when it finally lets go? It’s not about how many times you get away with foolishness its about the one time that you don’t. 

40 Rod

I have to concur with 40 Rod. There are too many gunsmiths both professional or amateur that simply don't consider what happens if they chamber a rifle for a round that is pushing the limits of the action and/or barrel strength. They just follow the instructions of their customer who may know nothing about the strength of the action. A lot of shooters aren't engineers or even technically minded, and so have no real idea of what they may be asking for. It could mean serious injury or even death for the shooter or worse, an innocent nearby.

Harry

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Parts gun?
That's what it would be for me.

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #67 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Jan 4th, 2016 at 6:27pm:
Marlinguy,
I asked Bert Hartman over on the Winchester Collectors website about 32-40 chamberings.  He's been studying the records for a long time and this is what he posted.  Maybe we can put all those 32-40 rumors to rest now.  Bob

In my search of the records, I have not confirmed a single low-wall made in 32-40. Winchester stated in their very early catalogs that they would not make them in that caliber. In my travels, I have seen three low-walls in 32-40, with two of them being obvious fakes (they lettered in a different cartridge). The only Model 1885 "low-wall" I have found that might be original in 32-40 is a very late production Schuetzen with a third variation low-wall frame. It looked correct, but there is no way to say with 100% certainty.

Bert

Somehow, I think Winchester got it right. 

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #68 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
I vote no for the obvious reasons previously stated. Why fool with a substandard action when there are plenty of rifles on the market chambered for the round that will handle modern high pressure loads. Being cheap with firearms can be very costly

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Just saw a 32-40 barrel on a grooved low-wall frame at Cabela's this morning.
Octagon barrel with Ballard style transition at the receiver ring.
Engraved, some gold inlay, nice wood with checkering, block high-polished and left in the white.
Employee in the Gun Room at Cabela's seems to think it's original. Told him he better hang on to it then.     Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

CodyS

Reply #70 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
This one?

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #71 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
How could someone possible think that was original?

"Yeah this is a nice original 69 Camaro with 20 inch wheels, pinstriping, and an LS 1 Motor.  Just like she came off of the assembly line..."

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #72 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I didn't read any claims that it's original. Obvious that it's not.  I wouldn't be afraid to use it, with a bag over my head. 5500.00 bucks? What a deal!   Roll Eyes

Joe. 

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #73 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 12:18am
Print Post  
I think the proper term for that thing is "pimpschuetzen".   

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 2:37am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 11:44pm:
...  I wouldn't be afraid to use it, with a bag over my head. ...   Roll Eyes

Joe. 

Who's that guy with the bag over his head, dad?
That's the Unknown Shooter, son.
       Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #75 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 8:58am
Print Post  
You’d think that somebody who had that much money to spend on fancy wood and top line engraving would have spent some money on something caliber appropriate. I hope whoever spends that kind of money keeps it as a safe queen. It deserves to be looked at just not shot.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint