Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 40-65 in a low wall. (Read 31120 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: 40-65 in a low wall.
Reply #60 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 11:44am
Print Post  
But I think there is a shooter or shooters that have been using one for a long time. For silhouettes.   

Can't sell it?   

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - Jan 3rd, 2016 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Qualify my can't sell, to anybody with any sense that is 

Boats

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #62 - Jan 4th, 2016 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy,
I asked Bert Hartman over on the Winchester Collectors website about 32-40 chamberings.  He's been studying the records for a long time and this is what he posted.  Maybe we can put all those 32-40 rumors to rest now.  Bob

In my search of the records, I have not confirmed a single low-wall made in 32-40. Winchester stated in their very early catalogs that they would not make them in that caliber. In my travels, I have seen three low-walls in 32-40, with two of them being obvious fakes (they lettered in a different cartridge). The only Model 1885 "low-wall" I have found that might be original in 32-40 is a very late production Schuetzen with a third variation low-wall frame. It looked correct, but there is no way to say with 100% certainty.

Bert

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Please use the chart I published on page 3 of this thread with extreme caution.
While it is correct for Copper Units of Pressure (CUP), it does not reflect pressure transducer data.

For example: 
For a 45-70, the CUP and transducer data are the same at 28KSI.
For a .357 Mag., The CUP is 45KSI while the transducer data shows 35KSI. This would make a significantly different de Haas curve.
Transducer data is not available for all cartridges, particularly older cartridges.
Sorry if this caused any problems.
Chuck

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #64 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:10am
Print Post  
In another section there is a thread about people blowing up Sharps repros with 40-65 loads of 5744 and wads. How long do you think it’s going to be before someone who has built a 40-65 on a low wall is foolish enough to load it with 5744 and a wad down on the powder? Will you be next to him or her when it finally lets go? It’s not about how many times you get away with foolishness its about the one time that you don’t. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:10am:
In another section there is a thread about people blowing up Sharps repros with 40-65 loads of 5744 and wads. How long do you think it’s going to be before someone who has built a 40-65 on a low wall is foolish enough to load it with 5744 and a wad down on the powder? Will you be next to him or her when it finally lets go? It’s not about how many times you get away with foolishness its about the one time that you don’t. 

40 Rod

I have to concur with 40 Rod. There are too many gunsmiths both professional or amateur that simply don't consider what happens if they chamber a rifle for a round that is pushing the limits of the action and/or barrel strength. They just follow the instructions of their customer who may know nothing about the strength of the action. A lot of shooters aren't engineers or even technically minded, and so have no real idea of what they may be asking for. It could mean serious injury or even death for the shooter or worse, an innocent nearby.

Harry

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Parts gun?
That's what it would be for me.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #67 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on Jan 4th, 2016 at 6:27pm:
Marlinguy,
I asked Bert Hartman over on the Winchester Collectors website about 32-40 chamberings.  He's been studying the records for a long time and this is what he posted.  Maybe we can put all those 32-40 rumors to rest now.  Bob

In my search of the records, I have not confirmed a single low-wall made in 32-40. Winchester stated in their very early catalogs that they would not make them in that caliber. In my travels, I have seen three low-walls in 32-40, with two of them being obvious fakes (they lettered in a different cartridge). The only Model 1885 "low-wall" I have found that might be original in 32-40 is a very late production Schuetzen with a third variation low-wall frame. It looked correct, but there is no way to say with 100% certainty.

Bert

Somehow, I think Winchester got it right. 

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #68 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
I vote no for the obvious reasons previously stated. Why fool with a substandard action when there are plenty of rifles on the market chambered for the round that will handle modern high pressure loads. Being cheap with firearms can be very costly

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - Feb 9th, 2016 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Just saw a 32-40 barrel on a grooved low-wall frame at Cabela's this morning.
Octagon barrel with Ballard style transition at the receiver ring.
Engraved, some gold inlay, nice wood with checkering, block high-polished and left in the white.
Employee in the Gun Room at Cabela's seems to think it's original. Told him he better hang on to it then.     Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

CodyS

Reply #70 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
This one?
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #71 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
How could someone possible think that was original?

"Yeah this is a nice original 69 Camaro with 20 inch wheels, pinstriping, and an LS 1 Motor.  Just like she came off of the assembly line..."

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #72 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
I didn't read any claims that it's original. Obvious that it's not.  I wouldn't be afraid to use it, with a bag over my head. 5500.00 bucks? What a deal!   Roll Eyes

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #73 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 12:18am
Print Post  
I think the proper term for that thing is "pimpschuetzen".   

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 2:37am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 11:44pm:
...  I wouldn't be afraid to use it, with a bag over my head. ...   Roll Eyes

Joe. 

Who's that guy with the bag over his head, dad?
That's the Unknown Shooter, son.
       Wink

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint