Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 40-65 in a low wall. (Read 31124 times)
jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Re: 40-65 in a low wall.
Reply #30 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Dec 29th, 2015 at 7:55pm:
Are we now taking the position that its all good to go until it comes apart?     Huh

No, not me, I'm just a caretaker. I'm expected to pass them on in good shape!

BTW, my comments above notwithstanding about the prudence of a 40-65 in a LW, MY 40-65 is built on a High Wall. 

Besides, You folks have schooled me on the relative strengths of the Ballard and the Low Wall. I'm convinced by the "don't do it" opinions.

Glad to be here and learning.
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2015 at 9:57am by jy3855 »  

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #31 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Its all fun and games till somebody looses an eye.
As far as being the caretaker assume that whoever gets the rifle after you is a drooling idiot. That is either he’ll fill the thing full of powder cause he can or he’ll double charge the thing. Either way sooner or later somebody will do something stupid with it somewhere down the line.
I’ve seen a lot of gunsmiths who have advocated stupid things with single shots.

40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #32 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 10:44am
Print Post  
I agree that we need to assume that the next person might do something stupid. But I'm sure not going to do something to enable him. But there are numerous examples of the various factories 100+ years ago that tried things and then discontinued them later. A good example are the Ballard #2 that were built in both .44-40 and .44 Long. They are fairly uncommon today simply because Marlin decided the cartridges were too much for the cast frame. But I've never heard of one blowing up, or shooting loose. I've owned 3 in .44-40, and still own one in .44 Extra Long, and all were/are tight.
Stevens also offered the 44 in both .38-55, .32-40, and several other calibers, that they dropped later. I have seen all of those with loose pins, but never seen or heard of one blowing up.
I doubt most people today would buy an original Ballard or Stevens in these calibers, and feel they should rebarrel them to smaller cartridges, just because some dolt will overload them after they move them along later.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Quote:
I doubt most people today would buy an original Ballard or Stevens in these calibers, and feel they should rebarrel them to smaller cartridges, just because some dolt will overload them after they move them along later.

My very first SS (1985) was a 44 Stevens, 32/40, #3 barrel, with a 7 O'clock extrator. A beautiful rifle. The barrel is perfect inside and almost outside, the rifle still had the factory grease inside it when I bought it. I've shot it with both BP and smokeless but, I doubt that I will ever replace that beautiful barrel.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #34 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Dec 30th, 2015 at 11:03am:
Quote:

My very first SS (1985) was a 44 Stevens, 32/40, #3 barrel, with a 7 O'clock extrator. A beautiful rifle. The barrel is perfect inside and almost outside, the rifle still had the factory grease inside it when I bought it. I've shot it with both BP and smokeless but, I doubt that I will ever replace that beautiful barrel.

Frank

Hope you're the owner rather than the "caretaker", Frank. 

This talk about caretakers and what will happen after we sell a rifle or pass on reminds me of teenage girl talk. 

I own my rifles and I don't loose any sleep over who has them after I'm gone. 

Same as when I sell a car or motorcycle.  Nothing but negative thinking. 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #35 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Owner, or caretaker; they're mine for now. I paid good money for them, and I have no death wish. So I'll do all I can to keep them together, but wont stop shooting any of them. I've owned guns I was concerned about shooting for various reasons. Some NIB, or in scary calibers. Didn't keep them because I couldn't or didn't want to shoot them. 
I love collecting old singles, but if I couldn't shoot them too, I'd lose interest quickly.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Like Vall said, I paid good money for them and own them - they're mine.  I don't see the caretaker point of view as some namby-pamby politically correct tripe, but as a way of looking at certain historical pieces of my collection that were made before my parents were born, and hopefully, through careful use and proper preservation, will continue to be shootable and collectible long after I'm gone.  It's like a reminder to myself not to treat them casually and carelessly, even though they are mine right now.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #37 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I don't want to treat the historic arms that I currently own the way that the Taliban treat the antiquities that have unfortunately come under their control.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Dec 31st, 2015 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
I like your approach.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 1:50am
Print Post  
I knew of a couple Pope barrels that were cut off.  One because it was too heavy for offhand  Cry  Another because the owner didn't like the extra holes in the muzzle so he cut them off, smoothed it up and recrowned  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #40 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 10:18am
Print Post  
jy3855 wrote on Dec 31st, 2015 at 9:33pm:
I don't want to treat the historic arms that I currently own the way that the Taliban treat the antiquities that have unfortunately come under their control.

What? Where did that come from?  A bit extreme, don't you think?   

Do you really feel you might destroy antiquities??   Undecided

Joe. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #41 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Jan 1st, 2016 at 1:50am:
I knew of a couple Pope barrels that were cut off.  One because it was too heavy for offhand  Cry  Another because the owner didn't like the extra holes in the muzzle so he cut them off, smoothed it up and recrowned  Cry

Nothing new there. AW Peterson bored out and relined numerous Geo. Schoyen barrels to .22LR back in the day. Shooters have rarely been collectors in the past. Today's shooters are mostly cognizant of values, and  shooter/collectors, who don't do harm to historically significant guns.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Jan 1st, 2016 at 10:18am:
jy3855 wrote on Dec 31st, 2015 at 9:33pm:

What? Where did that come from?  A bit extreme, don't you think?  

Do you really feel you might destroy antiquities??   Undecided

Joe. 

I agree, the example is an exaggeration, but they're not making some of these guns anymore.  It would be nice to pass them on so that they can be enjoyed anew.  As much as I enjoy owning and shooting old rifles, I would like them to be enjoyed as long as possible.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #43 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
I think we're doing a heck of a lot better than the flyers who crashed and tore up most of the P51 Mustangs from WW2. 

I'd venture to say many more old single shots have been restored back to their former glory than have been ruined. 

Joe.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
We have been down the road on cartridges for a Low-wall action.
de Haas states it is adequate for the .357 Mag. cartridge, which seems high, but shows examples.
FrankOre suggests something below 32-40/38-55 class cartridges which is more reasonable.
All are higher than what the factory did, but have been used without damage to body parts.

The attached chart uses SAAMI Cartridge Base Diameter and Maximum Average Pressure to determine and compare the cartridge thrust for cartridges that might be used in a Low-Wall.
Nothing new, just shown differently.
Chuck 

Chart modified based on Frank's comments.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2016 at 2:16pm by Chuckster »  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 11 KB | 61 Downloads )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint