Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 40-65 in a low wall. (Read 31127 times)
BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 40-65 in a low wall.
Reply #15 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Dec 26th, 2015 at 1:18pm:
Friend took off the tip of his thumb when he burst the barrel of his new Shiloh Sharps. He now has eight fingers and two and seven eighths thumbs. 

Joe.

Eight + two and seven eighths = ten and seven eighths

Huh

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #16 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
He was all thumbs.

Joe

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
OK, I will give a lecture.  Roll Eyes Any action with the reaction shoulders below the center line of the bore is a concern due to twisting of the breech block.
This can result in reaction loads up to 1.5X the cartridge thrust on a Stevens 44 action.

The Ballard is the only action I know of that uses angles and direction of forces to reduce reaction loads. The angle of the shoulder and the tail of the breech block react the twisting beautifully.
There is almost no load from firing on the linkage of a Ballard. 

The Low-Wall breech block works like a pry-bar without any support on the lower left extractor side, so it tries to twist in two directions
This puts the highest load on the upper rear right hand shoulder which can crack the casehardening.

Neither action is going to fail catastrophically unless the barrel fails, as Frank suggested. Probably just batter, bend or crack if overloaded.
Exception is the cast Ballard, because I don't know how brittle the material is.
Believe a forged Ballard is considerably stronger than a Low-Wall, but neither is in the same class as an action a higher reaction shoulders.
Chuck
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2015 at 5:14pm by Chuckster »  

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Joe, 2 7/8's that means he still has 7/8's of a thumb to play with and still have all 10 digits the rest of us have.  All kidding aside I always worry that the next owner might want to take my old rifle on an elephant hunt and load it up to the max with ball powder and jacketed bullets and where will that leave him after the dust settles?  This coming from a man who hunts with a rolling block in 250 Savage that I know could be easily overloaded.

Twitter  
IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Chuck,

Thank you for that explanation.

IP Logged

LTC B

Reply #20 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 6:28am
Print Post  
Why would chambering a low wall in 40-65 be any different than chambering a low wall in 45-70? The back-thrust should be the same and the wall thickness, at the base, should be the same.

??

I've never seen a low wall in 45-70. Also, the modern metallurgy, etc., argument may be sound with the barrel, but the receiver is still soft steel case hardened, so no appreciable difference with the action (that is, modern vs. antique), yes?

I agree with the observation that most SS blowups are the barrel cracking in hoop stress and blowing out the barrel mounting section and more. I'm not as experienced as 90% of this board, but I don't recall a bolt blowup, just a barrel K-Boom.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #21 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Hmmm? I didn't see anyone saying the .45-70 was OK in a Low Wall?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #22 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Look you can chamber a low wall for anything you want just don't shoot it next to anyone else especially me. Your free to blow yourself up just try not to take innocent shooters with you in the blast.

40 Rod

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 10:09am
Print Post  
OK, so here's a Low Wall question from a newbie.  When I load smokeless powder loads  for my high walls and keep the pressures below 30K c.u.p. (per Lyman handbook), I feel that I've got a huge margin of safety.

I will soon be a Low Wall owner and shooter who still wants to tread comfortably on the safe side of pressures.  What level of pressure should I consider as max? Lyman lists 22K c.u.p. for a group of rifles including the "Winchester Single Shots". Seems like 22K is a very conservative ceiling for a Low Wall, but again, I'm a newbie when it comes to Low Walls who wants to treat his Low Walls respectfully and pass them on in excellent shape eventually.

Calibers are 25-20 and 44 WCF.
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2015 at 11:54am by jy3855 »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
While most people think it's dangerous to shoot a 40/65 in a LW, they think nothing of shooting the 38/40 or 44/40 in one and there is only .034 difference in case heads, between the two cartridges. Using modern steel barrels, the CASE HEAD is the limiting factor, it's what generates the thrust on the BB. You can double charge any case, no matter what pressure it's designed for and you can shoot low enough pressures on the even HV cartridges to be safe. Remember that the 44/40 had a HV loading and someone could use that load data.

My own personal thoughts on the LW is that I would limit it to the the 32/40 case head size and mark it for 32/40 or 38/55 BP only with a modern steel barrel and NOT one made of 12L14 or 1137-44. I personally saw one of those come apart with a double charge in a cast, 32/40 Ballard. 

I think that my application of up to 30k pressures on the 357 Mag/Max case is safe (Frank Dehaas thought 42K with the 357 Mag was safe) and mark it 38XL for future owners. The 25/20ss would be even safer and could be shot at any velocity that a 120 gr, PB bullet could be shot.

I would also, inspect the mortice and breech block, before re-barreling. Maybe even Magnaflux the action.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Many years ago a certain J. R. Buhmiller, in the April 1929 Rocky Mountain Sportsman magazine, published an account of trying to find the strength of a high wall. He managed to shoot loads up to about three times the Lyman pressure you quoted without totally destroying the thing. Busted hammers, blown out firing pins, and a bulged sidewall, along with hard extraction (to say the least), were what he managed. 
Wouldn't it be nice if he'd thought to try out similar on a low wall? Surely some were hotrodding that one as well. But, he didn't seem to do so. So, my guess is that the low wall has gotta be, say, half as strong as it's big brother. In that guess, Frank's mention of DeHass' pressure estimation would about hold up well. But, I'd be much more inclined to stick with Frank and keep the pressure down below there, as his 30k, with that size case head indicated. It's good advice. And, just my opinion.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply Frank.  Well, low-pressure load data it is for me and the 44-40 then.

If I want to sling pistol bullets downrange at relatively high speeds from a rifle, the Lyman 410459 Keith bullet over 10 grains of Unique is a fun load from my 40-65 C. Sharps High Wall.

I am cautious not to double charge cases.  I load in blocks and and after the block's cases are full, I use one of the little LED flashlights to look down into the case at an angle. By looking at an angle, I am not relying solely on depth perception to check the charge, but looking at where the top of the powder column intersects the case wall in a row of cases.

Every once in a while I intentionally throw a double charge in a case just to see what one looks like.

I'll feel OK running the 25-20 a little hotter, but well on the safe side.

Thanks again for the advice,

IP Logged

LTC B

Reply #27 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 29th, 2015 at 9:32am:

Apparently I didn't make myself clear enough. If the 40-65 is OK in a low wall, a 45-70 should also be OK in a low wall, as the pressure and thrust should be inconsequentially different. And, people are talking about a 40-65 being OK in this thread.

Or have I got that wrong? If so, why?

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #28 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
LTC B wrote on Dec 29th, 2015 at 2:26pm:
marlinguy wrote on Dec 29th, 2015 at 9:32am:

Apparently I didn't make myself clear enough. If the 40-65 is OK in a low wall, a 45-70 should also be OK in a low wall, as the pressure and thrust should be inconsequentially different. And, people are talking about a 40-65 being OK in this thread.

Or have I got that wrong? If so, why?

I didn't see anyone flat out saying the .40-65 was safe either. There was mention of .40-65 BP loads, and being safe in a LW with certain restrictions.
In my opinion, if a particular action was chambered by the manufacturer, and survived over 100 years, then it's proven to be safe enough. If we start chambering them in different calibers, with caveats added to the cartridge/gun combination, then I question the chambering of the cartridge.
I suppose we could do a Ruger warning on the barrel, so any owner forever would have the limitations engraved there for his notification.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Dec 29th, 2015 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Are we now taking the position that its all good to go until it comes apart?     Huh

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint