Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Traditional Rifle rules revisited (Read 38245 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Traditional Rifle rules revisited
Reply #30 - Jun 14th, 2013 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Bob I would love to but it is 14 pages long and I currently do not have the capabilities. If you are looking for something specific I can try to type it out for you word for word as time allows.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #31 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 6:23am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 7:42pm:
Bob I would love to but it is 14 pages long and I currently do not have the capabilities. If you are looking for something specific I can try to type it out for you word for word as time allows.

Thanks John. Don't go crazy. Funny thing is I probably have that issue packed away somewhere but haven't found it yet.

Bob

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #32 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 12:27am
Print Post  
I'm happy with the traditional rules as they are.  I shot a iron sighted Stevens traditional rifle in the WSU winter league and didnt get credit or a T after my name for it in the BP news. I shot a traditional rifle at both matches at Spokane and didnt get a traditional medal from the ISSA. 
I shot a traditional iron sighted Ballard at Cody last week but didnt qualify because I used smokeless powder.  So while you guys muddy up the rules and try to make historians out of us, I'll just keep plugging away with whatever rifle I feel like shooting. I wont be buying a 1000.00 + dollar scope just to get a T after my name. By the way, there was only one person shooting a traditional rifle at the NRC match at Cody. I know he felt sorta stupid when he went up to get his prize. Kicking your own A_ _ is never any fun.   Wink

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #33 - Jun 16th, 2013 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
I'm happy that Joe's happy.
Smiley

happy, happy, happy.

(such sarcasm!  and I haven't even opened a beer!)

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #34 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 8:23am
Print Post  
My understanding of Coors dropping sponsorship of the Schuetzenfest is a little bit different than the article in PS. After you wiped the lipstick off the pig what you got was Max could no longer hold out against others in the corporation who saw the schuetzenfest as having limited to no promotional value. The last straw was losing the Golden range with their home base up in open revolt Coors did not want to be associated with negative aspects that the increasingly yuppyfied neighbors saw as the Coors Schuetzenfest. They withdrew their support.
When the Golden Range was lost Dean Miller and family stepped in and made arrangements for Dean's home range as the facility for that year. At that match the ISSA was born. It was created to continue the tradition of the Schuetzenfest. The range at Ratone was just getting up and running and was a good fit size and facility wise for an event the size of the Schuetzenfest. Coors was happy to donate the left over targets and printed material to the fledgling organisation and to put the potential public relations nightmare behind them. I am not saying that Coors was hostile they were not but like all Lawyers and bean counters they are risk averse and feckless friends.   Dean Miller and the early ISSA board deserve all the credit for keeping the schuetzenfest alive. This is also a cautionary tale of corporate involvement. No corporate entity will stick their neck out any more for anything that celebrates firearms. The Coors Schuetzenfests was a once in a lifetime thing that was driven by Max Goodwine personally. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 9:12am
Print Post  
40 Rod,  That is the most concise and clear explanation I have seen.   

I believe it

Boats

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #36 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
OK, as a relatively long-time ASSRA member, sometimes writer, and former Board member, let me stick in my 2˘ worth.

The whole concept of preserving a period in history will be difficult enough with various later revisions as to what was going on in that period.  The sport we call schuetzen was in the midst of what could best be described as an arms race during the period in question.  If you just take one of the patriarchs of the game, the venerable HM Pope, the things he did with rifles, barrels, sights, and loading techniques were non-traditional to the extreme!  He set guns up with scopes while most were using iron sights (and even had to retrofit irons he cobbled together at an event one time.)  He experimented with rifling techniques and found one that was a huge improvement over the "traditional" ones of the day.  How about breech/muzzle loading... that was a departure.  And then that duplex powder measure he made that hid his use of two powders at once from the casual observer.  I would say that old Harry was not bound to much of any tradition, yet he was a guiding light in the movement we seek to emulate and he certainly was not alone in his experimenting to seek better scores.  What we are trying to do is catch a moment in time that was itself in a state of rapid change and experimentation, sort of a Schrodinger's Cat type of thing.  We can argue about it as long as we want, but that cat is still going to fool us every time!

Froggie

PS  To those wondering whether a coil spring high wall is traditional, they came out in 1908, so inasmuch as that was before WW I, they fit the definition.  Just sayin'.   Wink

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
It would make for a good article if one is willing to do the research. In talking with others on this subject who participated in the matches during this period in time everyone has a different understanding all of which are very convincing. An interview with one of the original six elected by the competitors when Coors turned over the reins at their last sponsored event should bring an end to all of the speculation. Anheuser Busch picked up the sponsorship at the 1999 event and I am still looking for information on the length of that relationship. Sponsors are the life blood of all the major organized shooting events and when one drops off it is imperitive to find another to take it's place.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

SPG
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:28am
Print Post  
Gentlemen,

Simply specifying that rifles, cartridges and sights be limited to what was available prior to 1917 simplifies things immensely and performs the function of encouraging folks to research the era in question. I think that's what we are trying to do?

Just my thoughts.

Steve

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:09am
Print Post  
SPG
You make a good point. A more apt wording for a traditional rule change might be:
Remove this sentence from the existing traditional rules:

Lyman, Unertl, Fecker, and Litchert scopes are specifically allowed.

Insert this sentence in its place:

Scopes may be original or reproductions, of a pre-1917 design.

If a rule change is made, I propose that enforcement only starts 2 years after the rule change date to allow competitors time to accommodate a different scope requirement.
I welcome additional thoughts or continued discussion.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Randy,
I like that wording. 

Something else that might be considered to promote the use of traditional style rifles is to add 2 to as many as 5 points to the aggregate score or say 1 point per 10 shot target both OH and BR.

Personally I would rather see a cash prize for the highest T rifle, especially at the larger matches. Donated by the sanctioning organization and a $2 surcharge per entry for non T competitors added to the prize money. Smiley

Sound like a deal or do I need to go hide behind the berm?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Walter  Matera
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
RSW wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 11:09am:
SPG
You make a good point. A more apt wording for a traditional rule change might be:
Remove this sentence from the existing traditional rules:

Lyman, Unertl, Fecker, and Litchert scopes are specifically allowed.

Insert this sentence in its place:

Scopes may be original or reproductions, of a pre-1917 design.

If a rule change is made, I propose that enforcement only starts 2 years after the rule change date to allow competitors time to accommodate a different scope requirement.
I welcome additional thoughts or continued discussion.

Well, it sounds good to me . . .  Smiley

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
There you go Frank! Put $ signs in the equation and that will firm up interest in shooting traditional class. Lots of competition then.

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
don1885 wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 3:53pm:
There you go Frank! Put $ signs in the equation and that will firm up interest in shooting traditional class. Lots of competition then.

Well, it is a "Golden Age" concept. those guy shot for money and that's what made them so competitive.

I'd love to adjust the prize money paid back then for inflation and then pay it out as often as they did each year.

Do you think that would bring in new shooters?

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
If you don't like the idea of a money prize, how about a decent basic repro-type prize rifle awarded to an entry-level category of shooters. 
They are the ones that need the incentive to pursue Schuetzen, not the old-timers who already have their accumulation of toys.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint