Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: rebornbhmsGP on: Mar 12th, 2015 at 2:58am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley (Read 80727 times)
ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley
Jun 18th, 2012 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
I'm going to throw another cup of gasoline on the old cast frame ballard discussion.  It probably should carry forward to similar conversations such as the recent H&A large action cast frame discussion.

This week, I was at the Quigley shoot in Montana.  During the match, a woman was seriously injured when a cast frame ballard rebarrelled to .40-65 and shot with smokeless powder came apart in her hands.  She will likely retain all her fingers following reconstructive surgery, and will regain some use of the left hand.  A chest wound and shrapnel in her face is further damage.  Luckily, her eyes will be okay. Fortunately, no adjacent shooters were injured and medical response was available within seconds; two doctors were on the line in the same relay with her and EMT's and an ambulance were also there within a few hundred feet.

I want to re-iterate what I have said a couple of times before.  There is absolutely no reason to use an action that is weaker than the normal or probable capability of the cartridge it is loaded for.  Cast frame ballards are for rimfire .22's.  With the relatively low cost of stronger actions, why in the world would you chamber one of these actions for a large case centerfire?  Regardless of your own loading practices; someone in the future can, and probably will, load it inappropriately.  You may be smart enough to use reduced loads, but there's always some less skilled or more ignorant that won't.

The load this came apart with was .40-65 case, AA 5744 powder, about 20 or 22 grain load.  Considered a blackpowder equivalent load by many, but obviously too much for this gun.  In retrospect, I bet a nice high wall action for a few hundered dollars more would seem a huge bargain compared to medical bills, rehab, and a lifetime of disability.

dave

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Usually when a rifle has been shot before w/o anything happening and then you have catastrophic failure, it because of a double charge. I saw a nicely engraved Ballard in 32/40 come apart that way (double charged) just two benches from me.

I would be interested regarding the barrel particulars. Nothing can happen radiually until the barrel fails and it always starts at the extrator cut (you should always have a radius in the extractor cut, bigger the better).

I wish her a speedy recovery.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

PetahW

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Sad in both human and equipment terms, for sure.

I've been preaching against chambering ANY cast-iron actions for other than RF cartridges since Our Lord was a Corporal - but some folks will always know better.

I'm wondering if that poor lady had a hand in the planning for that time bomb, or was an innocent shooter.

IP Logged

skratch
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 9:55pm
Print Post  

A cousin of mine blew a nice 32-40 Ballard using smokeless. I'd told him and told him but some people you just waste your breath. He was shooting from his truck, only damage was shrapnel holes all over the headliner and ringing ears.....then he arc welded the split breach block together and the cracks in the frame and shot it again.  Shocked That time it locked up the action solid, may have saved his life. Now it's a wall hanger.

I hope the lady recovers with no lasting effects.

John...
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2012 at 1:52pm by »  

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 8:07am
Print Post  
This is exactly what I think about every time I see a cast frame Ballard chambered for a .32-40 or .38-55 up for sale on an internet or local auction.
99% of the time the sellers act stupid and get a bad case of the "dunnos" when questioned about the gun's background, or worse yet, turn a deaf ear on anyone trying to enlighten them to the dangers of shooting such a rig of which unsuspecting buyers should be made aware of.

I'm sorry that this woman will have to endure some very painful memories and lasting physical reminders of what should have been an enjoyable experience. Sad

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
My very first Schuetzen rifle was a cast frame Ballard chambered in .32-40.  When I purchased it, I was ignorant of all things Ballard and relied 100% on the word of the seller.

Fortunately (in retrospect -- at the time it didn't seem fortunate in the least), the rifle kept breaking and needed major repair work.  The breech block was a badly converted rimfire block that devoured firing pins and mainsprings at an amazing rate.

The rifle went off to Ballard Rifle (in Cody) and I was contacted directly by Steve Garbe who told me in no uncertain terms that he would not repair this rifle in center-fire configuration.   

After some discussion, Steve agreed to rebuild the breech block back to rim-fire configuration and install a .22 LR Krieger barrel.  The results were spectacular.  And, when I eventually sold the rifle, it was with a clear conscience.

I subsequently learned that it's not necessarily the injudicious hot load that causes immediate, spectacular failure in these actions.  The action could have been damaged years ago but with with no visible effects.  In that state, it can fail at any time even when carefully loaded.    

JackHughs

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Would be interesting to know how the Ballard failed. Was it a hoop failure of the receiver ring or the failure of the sidewalls or breechblock? Being cast, it would probably shatter, so might be hard to tell.
Chuck

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
I'm not advocating the use of dangerous actions but, I do want to point out that a receiver can not fail radially until the barrel does. The Ballard that I saw fail had a leaded and sulphurized barrel threaded into it. The load (double charge) First caused the barrel to split at the extractor cut, the framed then failed because it could not contain the force released from the barrel failure. A frame (action) can not cause a barrel to fail radially! A frame exerts NO force that I know of other than what the threads exert on it axial and radially. The barrel (chamber) can exert force axially and that can cause a failure of the threads, breech block and the frame through as shown in the recent H&A thread but, if the barrel fails it isn't the fault of the action (frame), only that the frame could not contain the barrel failure. If you have trouble believing this, please note that a barrel can be fired w/o a frame holding it, just screw an cap on it and insert a pin in it for a firing pin and tap it with a "hammer". A very good example of what I'm talking about would be the very (my opinion) thin walls that high pressure revolvers have. I don't think any of us would feel very safe if our barrel shanks were so thin.

This is why I asked if anyone knew what barrel was used on that rifle.

Frank
« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2012 at 2:21pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Thank you Frank for your explanation from a machinist view of whom would know such things.

J.Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Frank,
I mostly agree with you but the action can fail from thrust from the cartridge to the breach block The many cracked Ballard, Lowwall and Fox shotguns just didn't have catastrophic failure but. Some do have catastrophic failures and it has nothing to due with the barrel failure which can cause even a good action to fail.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

JackHughs
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Force is equal to pressure multiplied by area.  The force acting on the breech-face is equal to chamber pressure multiplied by the area of the cartridge base.

It seems to me that the force applied to the breech-face could be sufficient to "break" an inherently weak action such as the cast Ballard.  The chances of this would be increased if the action had been subject to abuse - such as firing excessively hot loads at some time in it's history.

I could be wrong, but life's too short to mess with questionable firearms.

JackHughs 

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.  W.B. Yeats

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Sorry Frank: if the barrel is steel---elastic-- and the receiver is grey cast iron---brittle and non-elastic, then the frame can fail first. When the frame cracks, it is no longer supporting the barrel hoop stresses and barrel failure will then follow--all in the space of a few micro-seconds.
Fred

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
First, I wish the injured shooter the best and speediest recovery possible. 

JackHughs wrote: Quote:
I could be wrong, but life's too short to mess with questionable firearms.

One problem with old firearms and actions, parts etc, is the lack of history behind them. Most of the stories heard at shows and shops are questionable, and are given to a potential buyer in order to obtain a sale. 

Was that refinished firearm or receiver, that now looks really nice, originally cracked and then welded and heat-treated properly by a qualified individual? Did it go through a house fire and happened to be randomly and intermittently sprayed by a fire hose (using water, or some unknown chemical fire retardant) creating who knows what kind of internal stresses etc, before simply being refinished and assembled to send it on down the road? 

Anyone can grenade a gun, including a brand new one. The older firearms must be approached from a far more sceptical and cautious perspective. 

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2012 at 3:06pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

james a pickup
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
I once owned a cast Ballard action in 44-40.Now that is not considered a "hot" cartridge, but i never used a pure smokeless load in it.I did try a duplex , but found that a safe load would not burn the smokeless.After that i used nothing but FFG BP in it, and i had no trouble with it.I would NEVER use a pure smokeless load in a Ballard, for safetes sake.All it takes is one mistake,and BOOM.My father did that with a No.1 Rolling Block.The action held but the barrel was bulged and ruined just forward of the chamber.I think it was a "Senior moment" as he was 75 at the time.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
The rifle information I was given from shooters on the line that saw it and knew the shooter was that it was an original ballard, with a relined barrel that has been shot for many years that way.  The action split at the receiver ring, and the left side of the frame broke at the extractor cut, but did not blow out, as it held at the rear of the action.  The top of the receiver ring broke and went up, and the barrel went downrange.  The buttstock was splintered.  The shooter 2 to her right told me he saw the barrel tumbling down range, probably 50 yards or so.  His account was that the sound of the shot was a weird high pitched noise, not the usual echoing boom of a gunshot.   

One first hand observation of the remaining pieces of the action that was told to me was that it appeared to have had a very old crack in the frame barrel ring from the inside that could easily have been the start of a failure point.

From the circumstances described by the first hand accounts, the action let go, the barrel was blown out the front, rather than the chamber rupturing from a double charge.  Of course, it could have been an overcharge that initiated the whole sequence.

dave

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Fred Boulton wrote on Jun 19th, 2012 at 2:30pm:
Sorry Frank: if the barrel is steel---elastic-- and the receiver is grey cast iron---brittle and non-elastic, then the frame can fail first. When the frame cracks, it is no longer supporting the barrel hoop stresses and barrel failure will then follow--all in the space of a few micro-seconds.
Fred

Sorry Fred, i can't quite buy into that. I'm not posting to start a argument here but, if what you say is true, there would be cases where the receiver ring spit but the barrel stayed in tact. What I'm saying is that BEFORE there can be a catastrophic RADIAL failure, there HAS to be a barrel failure first. Depending on the barrel shank diameter and the cartridge case diameter, the barrel shank can be much stronger than the receiver ring. 

I'm not saying that a frame will not crack, either. As I posted above, a modern barrel does not even need a action to fire high pressure loads, as long as the thrust can be contained. 

My main interest was what the barrel was. It would also be of interest to know about the extractor cut in the barrel.

Extractor cuts are extremely important and for safest results, they should have as large a radii as possible and not be over .180 deep even if they have a substantial radii.

If you double charge a case, there is no guarantee that any action will take the pressure generated.

I think there should be investigations done in cases like this but, that they have NO legal standing and be done for informative, learning tools.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
ssdave, 

Interesting report about what may have been an old receiver ring crack. 

Did anyone happen to examine the barrel and liner after it traveled downrange, and note what the O.D. of the liner may have been?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

drc

Reply #17 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Over on the Shiloh board it was reported by Mike Venturino that 

Quote:
Yesterday we heard from a co-worker of the injured lady that after a seven hour operation in Salt Lake they were able to save the thumb and one finger of the hand. That's not carved in stone but her co-worker is our neighbor.

MLV

IP Logged

Uechi

Reply #18 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Since I'm not a competitor, I am sure I'll get flack for this but why would anybody in his right mind use a smokeless or duplex load in a rifle designed for BP? I don't understand unless it is just about cleanup of the BP. I know people shoot old BP firearms all the time with smokeless or duplex loads. I think it is just plain dumb and dangerous unless you know what pressures are being generated exactly and they are well below what an old BP firearm can handle.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Here's an example of the weakness of Ballard receiver castings ... when I was reworking the JM Marlin#3 Target 22LR, the complete receiver casting was covered with pits.  If the plating was still on it - would have never known how bad the casting was

IP Logged

drc

Reply #20 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
I am going to go out on a limb here and make an assumption (and we all know what assume does) but I will assume it was her husband that got her the rifle and did the loading. not being sexist, just realistic. in our household that is how it is. how would you like to be explaining to your wife how you effed-up and cost her half her hand ?

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Uechi wrote on Jun 19th, 2012 at 8:30pm:
why would anybody in his right mind use a smokeless or duplex load in a rifle designed for BP? 

I've had to ask myself that question recently, so I'll answer it.

The nature of the game at Quigley comes close to forcing you to, with a novice shooter.  When I started shooting it a few years ago, there were about half the shooters there are today.  Blackpowder was the norm, although many did shoot smokeless.  Blow tubing was the norm for blackpowder.  Relays were slow paced, and each shooter took the time to blow tube.  With more shooters, the range officers are continuously pushing people to be quick.  Because of that, a lot have gone to smokeless, although many have gone to wiping with a rod between shots.   

I built my wife a smokeless rifle this year.  I also lend my two brother in laws that shoot once a year with us my Browning BPCR, and load smokeless ammo for them.  As a novice shooter, they can spend their time between shots operating the action, adjusting sights, etc and not cleaning their barrel or blow tubing.  They need every minute they can get.

The good thing about black is that contrary to popular opinion, it is faster and easier to clean up than smokeless.  I blow a mouth full of water through the barrel, put through a patch, repeat, and then dry with a patch.  Push through a lubed patch, and I'm done.  Half the effort of smokeless cleanup.

I used a high wall action in .38-55 for my wifes rifle.  I also worked up a load, and then sequentially loaded it hotter until I was very near a double charge (and case full).  It didn't have horribly excess pressure signs, so I concluded it was a safe load, regardless of whether I made a loading mistake.

I also use a load for the Browning that can stand a double charge.  The Browning, like the winchester, can stand a full case load of smokeless.  It's your shoulder that complains.

dave

IP Logged

Dr Tom

Reply #22 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 12:07am
Print Post  
The Browning wasn't designed for BP. It can handle modern smokeless cartridges loaded to SAAMI specs. It cannot, however, withstand a case full of bullseye or 231.

High walls come in several flavors. Three that I am aware of are early BP (forged very low carbon steel, thin case hardening, not heat treated) late smokeless (forged, various alloy steels, heat treated and blued) and experimental or short run (YMMV). Early high walls can become battered internally with "more than moderate" smokeless loads, despite what some authors may have published back in the sixties. The other flavors are probably stronger than you will ever need...unless the action came from a .22 RF Winder Musket. Some of these are amazingly soft. Were they made with left over early actions? Only your metallurgist may know for sure. The SN is not a valid clue as to the age or strength of a high wall. It's located on the removable lower tang.

Be very safe out there!

Dr Tom

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:27am
Print Post  
ssdave, a lot of what you say about reasons for using smokeless at the Q are for sure correct but I have noticed that even some long time shooters have moved to using smokeless.  Some of them are excellent shooters.  I don't know if they believe it is an advantage in accuracy or what.  It sure makes it difficult for a blackpowder shooter to keep up with fouling control when he is in a group with 3 or 4 smokeless shooters.  Dr. Tom's advice is good and should be heeded.  Even though the highwall is strong, each one is dependent on it's metallurgy when it was made and how well it was cared for over its lifetime.  Some of you may remember bout 2 years ago when a west coast shooter split his 32-40 highwall action in half most likely with a double charge.  He was most fortunate and there was no barrel failure.  Using large capacity cases with smokeless in an old action is just asking for trouble even in a case the size of a 32-40.  Bob

IP Logged

Uechi

Reply #24 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:05am
Print Post  
So people are using smokeless because the rules allow it and it is an advantage over BP? If that is the case why not change the rules so that only BP can be used? Another possibilty is to have two divisions, BP with modern or antique arms and smokeless with modern or antique foirearms made for smokeless. I find it very interesting that the Quigley match was named after the ficitional Tom Selleck movie character. I seem to remember he was using BP not smokeless or duplex loads. Perhaps the contest needs to be renamed. In any event, I still think using smokeless or duplex loads in BP firearms is like dancing with the grim reaper. One of these days someone is going to be killed or will kill another competitor or bystander and then  the law suits will either end the competition or force a change in the rules.

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
I had a friend 2 seats away from this lady in the other direction and he said the same thing about the sound and saw the barrel headed downrange. He is a gunsmith and thinks the liner failed which caused the barrel to fail being a mild steel barrel. She is lucky to be alive. The accident could have been far worse then it was. He did not think it was a frame failure at all.
Mike

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
All this talk of questionable actions brings up a question:
Does anybody bother to get any of these old actions magnafluxed prior re-building them into a shooter ???????
Seems like a real sane thing to do; especially with cast iron frames.
I learned about this working with vintage motorcycles.
One particular make used cast iron for their crankshafts; and over time and with poor maintenance , cracks would develop in the con-rod bearing journals from the crank flexing.
These would generally be undetectable to the naked eye, but with magnaflux, they showed up brilliantly.
Needless to say, a cracked iron crank is about as useless as a cracked iron receiver and just about as dangerous in my opinion.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Hello, everyone.  The suggestion made by Uechi, of having differen't classes for black & smokeless makes sense..it seems that if there is the slightest bit of grey area as far as rules go..someone is going to jump in there and use it for their advantage..real or imagined.
  I remember back in the  early 90's, when some of the then new black powder shilouette shooters came out to try schuetzen shooting.  Their scores were lower of course than the smaller caliber schuetzen rifles..but then they were using big bore (.40+) "buffalo rifles" burning black powder.
I still recall the silent stares of the "true target shooters" if the smokescreen laid down by these big boomers happened to disturb their aim.  There was grumbling heard in back of the firing line..heck of a way to welcome potentially new shooting members!
Not many of those guys came back.  How ironic..and hypocritical!  Even our venerated H.M. Pope was using black in his muzzle/breech loaders.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
mwhite49 wrote Quote:
I had a friend 2 seats away from this lady in the other direction and he said the same thing about the sound and saw the barrel headed downrange. He is a gunsmith and thinks the liner failed which caused the barrel to fail being a mild steel barrel.

Mike, 

That's one reason I asked if anyone had examined the barrel and liner. We don't have any hard data to go by yet, and maybe never will, but after reading ssdave's first post, the picture of the lined barrel that let go shown in the pressure section of P.O. Ackley's Volume 1 book came to mind. 

For what it's worth, Ackley mentioned that the lined barrel failed with a normal load. 

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
He is a gunsmith and thinks the liner failed which caused the barrel to fail being a mild steel barrel.
If that was the case then I would presume that there was no sleeve put in the chamber around the liner to provide extra strength on ignition

IP Logged

drc

Reply #30 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 1:33am
Print Post  
One of the folks over on the Shiloh board posted took these pics

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 2:01am
Print Post  
WOW, I don't think that even a forged frame would have taken that failure. The Shilo site said it was the first shot out of the ammo box and the ammo was sealed after the blow up, I assume that means they are going to check what the actual load was in the cases. Hopefully that info will be released.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 8:14am
Print Post  
I saw a rifle blow up at WNYSS ~20-25 years ago, went home and sold all my "weak" action guns.
My rule is simple-if it won't take a double charge, I won't use it.  Only weak gun I own is a Maynard, I'm a rule breaker.
I do not understand why anyone uses a ballard, stevens 44 etc with CF smokeless loads. 
Time goes on, actions get old, guns blow up.
What's wrong with these people?
joe b.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Am with Joe on this one. 

No reason to use old actions for modern loads.   I used to use a fair amount of fast pistol powder loads in Trapdoors. They work well but the fear of double charge with disastrous results keeps me away from it now.   

Bet anything it was double charged.

Boats

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Re: 2012 "Q"

Postby Steve Garbe » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:42 pm
Don,

Black powder in a black powder cartridge gun chambered for a black powder cartridge would seem to make sense to me. A cast frame Ballard was never meant to be chambered to a centerfire round, even if said round was loaded with black powder. Marlin knew this; that is why forged frame receivers were produced for the big single shot cartridges. Take note of what an old action is originally chambered for before you rebarrel. Cast frame Ballards make great .22 rim fires. Period.

This sad story would be infinitely more complicated if someone else on the line had been injured.

I hope it does make a few folks reconsider their loading techniques.

In case someone is currently shooting a cast-frame Ballard and doesn't know it...cast frames are marked with a three-line address on the left side of the receiver. If in doubt, drop the block out and examine the inside of the action. If it looks like it is cast instead of machined, DO NOT shoot it chambered for anything but .22 rimfire. If still in doubt, have someone who knows the difference examine the action.

Steve

Very good info for neighboring shooters

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Any action cast or forged could be a time bomb. Many of these have been built up over the years into varmint guns, target rifles and other forms of our esteemed shooting sports. At times some of these actions may have been compromised by overly hot hand loads or just poor maintenance or sub standard gunsmithing. MY contact said he was sure it was a liner failure which in turn caused the original barrel to fail which in turn caused the action failure. Makes perfect sense to me. If you have an old rifle and really want to be safe examine it really close and have it magnafluxed. It is cheap insurance. X-ray is a good idea too. I have a cousin who is an x-ray tech who did my Ballard and it is OK. Gary Quinlan here about a year ago told me a story of a friend of his who decided to shoot a very high end collectors pistol who now has about 1.25 worth of scrap iron. It blew up. Old guns as JoeB said do that occasionally just like old cars, motorcycles or whatever. These steel actions forged or cast take a beating and most survive as we do, then there are these others that just happen to fail. I always try to shoot a new to me old rifle tied down to a tire with a large string. I have been burnt before even after due diligence of checking it out really good. There is never  a fail proof gun. Hell modern production guns fail. But with the help of a good smith and leg work on our part we can narrow the odds down that are rifles will not end up maiming us or others. I' restoring a Winchester Model 93 shotgun for a friend and had to really hunt for a new bolt, his was cracked. He had been shooting high base 12 ga. smokeless in it for years. I think he had some one watching over his dumb ass and that is what I told him. Too many of this model blew up, that is why it was discontinued and they made the Model 1897, more for smokeless powder and a better grade of steel. He promised to only shoot black hand loads in it from now on if he ever shoots it again.
Mike

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 10:00am
Print Post  
For folks that do not know that frame in the picture is a CAST FRAME. A FORGED FRAME has no hollow cavity under the barrel threads, it is a solid forging milled out. 
Just because a Ballrd has a 3 or 2 line adress does not deem it a cast or forged frame. I have seen both 2 line cast frames and in turn 3 line forged frames. But most 2 line frames are forged and most 3 line frames are cast but that is not 100% correct. But almost.
Mike

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #37 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
I'll state the obvious, It is good to know, when you pull the trigger, if it is a rifle or if it is a bomb.

Good advice here, thanks all for posting it.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #38 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Michael brought up one of the most important features that makes the cast Ballard much weaker. The hollow below the barrel threads. Forged Ballard receivers are stronger, but not just because they are forged, but because they are forged and solid under the barrel.
Cast frames are not cast iron, they are cast steel, but that's not enough to overcome the inherent weakness of cast steel and a hollow void below the barrel that is fairly thin.
I doubt the barrel or liner failed. I would guess the receiver cracked longitudinally which allowed the barrel to exit the threads and then the receiver had a catastrophic final failure that blew out the left side.
I've given up beating the drum against chambering cast Ballard actions in CF cartridges. Seems those who own them will swear this sort of failure could never happen.

IP Logged

RwBeV
Participating Member

Reply #39 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 2:38am
Print Post  
If you look at the lower left of whats left of the action there is a square section of metal.  In both pictures there is a Grey area behind the bright shinny cracked area.  I cant be sure with out looking at the action but that looks suspiciously like and old crack, they will fill with dirt and oil over time thats why the dull color.   The bright shinny is all new metal thus new crack.

The weak link here is people!!  Many moons ago while I was working for a gunsmith here in town a fellow brought in a very nice Stevens 44 that was chambered in 32-40.  He wanted it checked out before he shot it.  The first thing that Jerry (the smith I was working for) had me do was to run it over to the Welding Shop and have it Magna-Fluxed.  The powder showed a sub-surface crack about 2/3's the way along the receiver ring.  When I brought it back Jerry, to my surprise had me bob the firing pin so that it could not be fired.  We also filled out a form that stated the gun was unsafe to fire and had the guy sign it.  To make a long story short the fellow brought it back a few weeks later mad as hell that his gun wouldn't go off.  He had found a box of John Wayne commemorative ammo and tried to shoot it, told us if we wouldn't fix it then he would find someone that would.  Jerry very nicely invited him to get the &%%$ out of his shop.  I wonder if he still has all his fingers? 

Bob

IP Logged

podufa

Reply #40 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 5:05am
Print Post  
I think it was double charged,recoil split away some of the wood where the receiver and stock meet.

IP Logged

AJ

Reply #41 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 7:49am
Print Post  
With both a frame and breech block failure, it would seem like it is highly probable that this was an overload or a barrel obstruction issue.  Also, it is worth noting that the block failed in the area of the upper breach block screw..

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #42 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
I'm sure if it turns out to be a double charge many will go back to feeling safe chambering centerfires in cast Ballards.

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #43 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
  As a matter of fact, my #2 Ballard came from the factory chambered for a centerfire round. Angry But I think mafnafluxing ANY old action is a good idea.

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jun 22nd, 2012 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Remember that when the Ballards were coming out in centerfire, many were convertible, using either centerfire or rimfire equivalent cartridges and changeable by turning the firing pin over.  The rimfire were the disposable, expedient ones, the centerfiire were for those wanting to reload their own.  Both were loaded with equivalent blackpowder loads.  The fact that the rifle came in centerfire is no reason to believe that it is safe with a factory centerfire cartridge, a smokeless load, or even a modern load of blackpowder.

Most of the rifles of the day had relatively light bullets.  Today, many shooters (particularly gong and BPCR) are pushing the envelope, shooting bullets that are twice the weight of the original; often designed to be seated out to maximize the blackpowder, or seated ahead of a smokeless load that develops who knows what pressure.  The limited data I have seen shows that original BP rounds probably developed less than 15,000 psi.  Many of the heavy bullet, highly compressed loads used today approach 30,000 psi.

I am fortunate enough to have a double set ballard in .22 lr.  It was just recently made, and for some reason it was made on a pacific action.  I wish I could trade the gunsmithing effort and barrel and finish put into that rifle into a cast frame rimfire one I have on hand, and have the action for a large bore blackpowder rifle!  It's interesting the mismatch of cartridges/frames that come about.

dave

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #45 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
I own several #2 cast Ballards chambered from the factory in CF rounds, but all are pistol CF rounds, and I only fire them with very light plinker loads. The ones that concern me the most are my #2 in .32-20 and .44-40. Have anothger in .44 Ballard XL that could be an issue if improperly hand loaded to hot .44 loads. Those in .32 and .38 Long with reversible firing pins for CF don't bother me. The CF versions of these cartridges are such low pressure rounds they would work in many weaker actions.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Been watching this thread from the beginning. Hard for me to believe that it was not a double or triple  charge of smokeless powder. I would like to see the rest of what's left of the gun.

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #47 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 8:58am
Print Post  
     My only Ballard is a #2 in .32 Long, rim or center fire.  It operates at less than half the pressure of a .22 long rifle.  And  current factory loads for 44-40's are way below 22 LR    pressures.  But bigger diameter cases  puts more pressure on the breech block,  although it's hoop strength of the cast steel  that is the problem. Sad                                                                         marlinguy wrote on Jun 23rd, 2012 at 6:39pm:
I own several #2 cast Ballards chambered from the factory in CF rounds, but all are pistol CF rounds, and I only fire them with very light plinker loads. The ones that concern me the most are my #2 in .32-20 and .44-40. Have anothger in .44 Ballard XL that could be an issue if improperly hand loaded to hot .44 loads. Those in .32 and .38 Long with reversible firing pins for CF don't bother me. The CF versions of these cartridges are such low pressure rounds they would work in many weaker actions.

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:41am
Print Post  
32 ballard xl wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 8:58am:
     My only Ballard is a #2 in .32 Long, rim or center fire.  It operates at less than half the pressure of a .22 long rifle.  And  current factory loads for 44-40's are way below 22 LR    pressures.  But bigger diameter cases  puts more pressure on the breech block,  although it's hoop strength of the cast steel  that is the problem. Sad                                                                        

The problem with comparing pressures is that stress is pressure times area, and that is the critical thing.  .22 lr has much smaller area, plus the barrel steel is thicker because of smaller diameter.  Here's the hoop stress calculations for several representative sizes; note that the .44-40 stresses almost twice that of .22 lr although it is half the pressure.  Note also that the .45-70 is right at the yield strength of the mild steel many original barrels are made of.  

At 28,000 psi .45-70 load is right at the yield strength of the barrel; the only factor of safety is the receiver ring of the action.  An overload or a defect in the action ring and it can fail.   Steel has two strengths; yield strength (where the steel will stretch) and ultimate strength (where it will catastrophically fail).  Ultimate strength is anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 times yield.  

Normally, the steel would yield, and the chamber would bulge or become loose over a few or many shots.  But, get enough of an overload and it would burtst catastrophically.

cartridge      Dia     Press    Force/In.      Dia. Bbl      Hoop Stress
               Inch      PSI      Lbs.      Inch                 PSI
.22 lr        0.223      24000      5352       0.889      8036
.38-55      0.421      30000      12630      0.889      26987
.44-40      0.471      13000      6123       0.889      14648
.45-70      0.505      28000      14140      0.889      36823

I used the minor diameter of a ballard barrel in these calculations.  Force is per inch of chamber.  The presence of a liner may change how the failure occurs also.

IP Logged

bluesman

Reply #49 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Well...this has been an eye opener! Many moons go I got a straight grip Ballard at the Portland , Oregon Expo show from Joe Williams,who warned me at the time that it had been re-barrelled and chambered for what "looked like .444 marlin" so I should only use black powder in it.The twist is 1 in 15".

It turned out to be a No.2, and it has been to England as it has British proofs on the frame and breech block.

Being well aware of the limitations of cast frame Ballards I have always been pretty careful with the old girl...but this thread got me to thinking I should re-evaluate things, and so I decided to take apart a few of the loaded rounds I had and check my log book.

Sure enough, I have 48 grs. of ffg behind a 330 gr bullet and a card wad...far too much for comfort considering the likely chamber pressures this might create due to the heavier bullet and charge.Never had any signs of trouble over the years, and it is quite accurate at 100 and 200 yards, but I am going to pull the barrel and make one up in 22lr.I would hate to have a failure, I make my living with my hands and eyes, a blow up like the one pictured would put an end to my career for sure.

It is an interesting rifle...serial no. 833, and from the Dutcher book the hammer and lever look to be left over Brown parts, and it has the nicest single trigger I have ever had, just perfect.It should make a lovely , but heavy 22!

IP Logged

Nero
Oldtimer

Reply #50 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Have I been taking a chance these last thirty years with my two High Walls ?
One is a flat spring of 1887 which is a standard necked down 22/303 Brit. and the other is a Winder Musket from somewhere in the nineteen twenties in 6mm/303 Brit. Improved
Both were done in the USA around thirty years ago by a well known gunsmith and breach blocks were bushed with the M/Niedner type. 
This was when I first got interested in S/Shots and the reading I did at that time said that a High Wall would handle anything within reason. 
I have never loaded so that the case is sticky to extract or that the primers are really flattened or cratered and the load I use is three grains under what I have worked up to as this is the most accurate.
I expect a similar post like this has cropped up before over the years but would welcome an opinion. 
Regards, Roly.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Nero wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 10:21pm:
Have I been taking a chance these last thirty years with my two High Walls ?

I don't think you have been.  The high wall is a totally different animal than the ballard cast frame.  The steel is much better.  Plus, the design is much stronger.  That has been proven over and over again.  Although it is possible to blow up a high wall, it takes a lot of pressure to do so.  Given that you have a modern steel barrel, there should be no problems with your cartridges, given you don't go to outrageous pressures.

Your case size is also smaller in diameter than the .45-70 size that is being used with smokeless in BPCR rifles.  That reduces both the hoop stress, and increases the barrel wall to hold it. 

This particular unfortunate accident isn't putting out new information showing that previously known to be safe rifles aren't; it is just a reinforcement of what has been known for years and a reminder that previously known marginal or unsafe rifles are still an accident waiting to happen.

I'll summarize what I think I know about the various low strength original actions:

Stevens 44 & Ballard Cast Frame - unsafe except for .22 rf; marginal with some selected, small dia, low pressure centerfire blackpowder cartridges.
Ballard Forged Frame - Safe for BP Centerfire up to .45-90.
Winchester Low Wall - Safe for .22 rf and small, low pressure pistol class cartridges; including .32-20 and .25-20 with moderate loads.
Rolling Block #1 Blackpowder:  Safe for .45-70, .50-70, and similar blackpowder loads and not recommended for smokeless equivalents.
Rolling Block #5 Smokeless:  Safe for .45-70, .50-70, .50-90, .50-110 and similar blackpowder loads.  Safe for 28,000 psi and less smokeless loads in .45-70 and smaller cases.
Hopkins & Allen large and medium frames:  Safe for .22 lr and small pistol cartridges using blackpowder.  Not safe with smokeless.

My opinion only.
dave

IP Logged

Dr Tom

Reply #52 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Ken Waters lists early high walls as "moderately strong" and late ones as "strong".

My opinion--and it's opinion only--is that the probability of catastrophic failure of a high wall used at reasonable pressures is very small, because the contact area between the receiver and the block is huge, and the metallurgy is generally good. Softer actions may experience some distortion of the mating surfaces over time, which may first show up as an increase in headspace. 

A scientific approach is to have an expert make some hardness indentations in areas that won't show, and compare the shape and fit of the various components to the original drawings. I have read that improved chambers may produce lower bolthead thrust than those which are more tapered, which is good (if true). If your rifles have seen a lot of use and the headspace is still good, there may be nothing to worry about. 

What is a reasonable pressure? I try to keep my old bench relics below what I think is about 40,000 psi, using the Ken Waters base diameter method. But, my actions are late and have improved chambers.

None of the above applies to a low wall, because the load path through the action is very different from the high wall.

Dr Tom

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #53 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
bluesman wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 3:43pm:
Well...this has been an eye opener! Many moons go I got a straight grip Ballard at the Portland , Oregon Expo show from Joe Williams,who warned me at the time that it had been re-barrelled and chambered for what "looked like .444 marlin" so I should only use black powder in it.The twist is 1 in 15".

It is an interesting rifle...serial no. 833, and from the Dutcher book the hammer and lever look to be left over Brown parts, and it has the nicest single trigger I have ever had, just perfect.It should make a lovely , but heavy 22!

The deep crescent is also an early Marlin/Brown style buttplate. Beautiful wood on the buttstock!

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Bluesman,
That is a excellent butt stock.

My early JM #2 is serial #490, it has the butt stock bolt going through the butt plate. Does yours have that feature? And does yours still have the stud in the frame to hold the lever up?

I added a picture of my butt plate.

Frank
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2012 at 1:07pm by frnkeore »  

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

bluesman

Reply #55 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Howdy...yes indeed, that wood was one of the reasons I just had to have the old girl..the frame is drilled for the lever stud, but the lever has no corresponding hole, and so I imagine there was never a stud in place.
The butt-plate does not have the through-hole type mount, it's hidden under the plate.Fascinating stuff all of this...early JM Ballards are kind of  Forrest Gump rifles...you never know what you'll get!

IP Logged

ireload2

Reply #56 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Rather than pick on smokeless powder, why don't shooters ask that the cast Ballards be banned from these events. There seems to be no reasonable way to use one in a large centerfire and remain safe.

IP Logged

drc

Reply #57 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
It is just not cast Ballards that can be unsafe with smokeless. So can the older rolling blocks. When a roller lets loose, it can be equally catastrophic. The old actions were never designed with the pressures in mind that smokeless can give. And it is impossible to double charge a case with black powder.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #58 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
drc,
  Are you saying that cast Ballards are safe with black powder?

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

drc

Reply #59 - Jun 30th, 2012 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
I don't read that at all in what I said..........No, why would you even try to think I was saying that.  Seems I said it was not just a cast Ballard that was unsafe with smokeless, and the poster above was making a comment about smokeless -vs- black at the matches and why not just ban cast Ballards.  

The comment about black powder has to do simply with the poster saying why pick on smokeless and I said you can't double charge a case with black powder. 

I have been at some of the matches and with my electronic ear muffs I have heard quite a few "weird" sounding rounds go off. You can tell a black powder boom -vs- a smokeless round and you can sure tell the weird rounds that folks aren't careful with.  I have heard lots of them that sound like a bee or something buzzing down range.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2012 at 10:37pm by drc »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #60 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 8:33am
Print Post  
IDPA safety officer.  See dozens of guys go through the course of fire with plastic pistols large percentage not experienced shooters or reloaders.   

If we hear anything that does not sound "right" stop them right away, have seen more than a few squibs caught in the barrel. Not as common in Rifle matches and we don't run as tight as the action pistol guys every shot under observation by a qualified S/O.

Still if I saw a questionable Single shot at our club matches would hold it for careful exam before allowing it to compete. Safety of all on the line is at stake.

Boats

IP Logged

drc

Reply #61 - Jul 1st, 2012 at 9:08am
Print Post  
I think that as a consequence of this accident there is going to be a major re-think. At the Sagebrush Alliance Neb gong match, competitors and their spotters are clustered pretty close together at the various stages. At some of the other venues, I would imagine it is pretty much the same. 

I know I will be very closely looking at who is shooting what next to me.

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #62 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
There is an up date on the Quigley site on the blow up and it reads---- The rifle load was 23grains of 5744 but 30 grains of unburned powder were removed from her cheek . Will that case even hold 53 grains weight??

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #63 - Jul 5th, 2012 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Perhaps the 30 grains removed from her cheek refers to 30 individual particles, and not 30 grains weight of powder?

Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

jonskorepa
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Sep 19th, 2012 at 12:05am
Print Post  
About 4 yrs ago I spoke with lee shavers about rebarreling a hopkins and allen 12 ga hammerless shotgun to 22 mashburn bee. He said it would work ok if the action was tight and on water table. He then told me he rebarreled a h&a falling block shot gun to 38-55 bp. He further stated that as a demonstration he shot it with out the barrel pin in place and said that the barrel only moved about as i recall about .10 inch. I dont mean to say you all are not correct in your cautious recomendations however it would seem that prudent use of old weapons should be constrained to the loads and loading methods of the time they were made. Hpokins and allen large falling block actions were prouced in 38-55 as a rifle certainly not a smokeless loaded cartridge.i use a #44 stevens in 25-20 with very careful smokeless loads and no pressure issues yet. Jon

IP Logged

publius
Participating Member

Reply #65 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Would it nor be safe to use the mildest load with maybe, Trailboss smokeless? This is in a 32-20 or smaller Ballard.

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 5:14am
Print Post  
Pardon my objections, but I feel very strongly about weak actions. A weak action gun can be safely fired with liight loads of powder. That's not the important point.
I sold my weak action 44s and Ballards because:
1. A double charge will blow them up, and eventually we will make a mistake. The older we get...
2. After I croak and my wife sells my mint Ballard Pacific to a kid for $50, the kid can/will blow himself up. We're leaving time bombs behind. If we go. 
I think that we should take the position that the ASSRA does NOT recommend building ANY CF gun on a Stevens 44, Ballard, etc-write the list. Make it a RF or put it in your sock drawer. The risk isn't worth it, especially now with H&R modern safe guns available to use or build a gun on.
joe b.

Quote:
About 4 yrs ago I spoke with lee shavers about rebarreling a hopkins and allen 12 ga hammerless shotgun to 22 mashburn bee. He said it would work ok if the action was tight and on water table. He then told me he rebarreled a h&a falling block shot gun to 38-55 bp. He further stated that as a demonstration he shot it with out the barrel pin in place and said that the barrel only moved about as i recall about .10 inch. I dont mean to say you all are not correct in your cautious recomendations however it would seem that prudent use of old weapons should be constrained to the loads and loading methods of the time they were made. Hpokins and allen large falling block actions were prouced in 38-55 as a rifle certainly not a smokeless loaded cartridge.i use a #44 stevens in 25-20 with very careful smokeless loads and no pressure issues yet. Jon

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #67 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 6:38am
Print Post  
Cars are dangerous but we dont stop driving. You should give your wife more credit than that. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

J.Francis

Reply #68 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 7:31am
Print Post  
For what it's worth,C.S.Landis in his "Twenty-Two Caliber Varmint Rifles" recommends the Winchester Winder action only be used for rimfire cartridges of the standard velocity flavor. He wrote that these actions were not the equal of a regular center-fire action in fit, finish or hardness and he beleived them to be built at a price point strictly for rimfire target use. I would be leery of shooting a high pressure center-fire in one - God gives us two eyes, eight fingers and two thumbs - always, always,always err on the side of caution.

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
And yet in another thread regarding this very same thing, it is being made light of.
It's only funny 'till happens to you or someone you know and care about.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #70 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
The car comparison brings up an interesting point. Anyone can go to the local Ford dealer and buy a new Shelby Mustang that will go 200 mph out of the box. Giving this car to a 16 year old kid is certainly not a good idea but some fool will do it sooner or later. At some point people need to be responsible for their own actions. I would never deliberately put together a gun that would be a time bomb, but retiring every old gun that could be destroyed by a double charge of smokeless powder will definitely take most of our single shots out of active duty.

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #71 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
A friend was shooting in this match about 4 seats away when it went off with the strange noise, he is a gunsmith and he was sure that the barrel is what gave way, not the action first. If the barrel had a flaw in the steel that was not visible it could happen. Sako barrels were or are some of the best barrels around but I have seen a newer Sako barrel that looked like a pipe bomb. 
I shoot and have shot damascus barreled guns for years with no problems, damascus barrels are still made in Europe and if you want one you pay double or triple for it, Beretta offers them from the custom shop as do others. But even a regular plain jane steel barrel can have irregularities in the steel that the barrel is made with. Bad batch, bad quality control or whatever. Poop happens.  I do not plan on stopping me shooting any of my older guns, that is what I love shooting the most. To me that would be like really enjoying driving a Model A Ford and getting rid of it for a Ford Fiesta, Pinto, or whatever. Ain't happening.
Mike

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #72 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
If a semi truck runs over you, it makes little difference how fast your car, went. Or how old you are.  

My first car was an Austin Healey 100-4 with a sooped up V8 engine.  I didnt get killed.

Driving is dangerous but we dont stop driving.  

Best to be responsible and not take away the right to be so. 

Joe. 

« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2012 at 10:08pm by westerner »  

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #73 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
    I would be interested in a "sock drawer" Ballard.  I promise I will keep it under lock and key 99% of the time, and not offend anyone by bringing it to a match.  I will only bring it out to caress by the light of the moon.  I promise, really, really I do.  Perhaps I will erect a miniature Statue of Liberty in my door-yard, emblazoned "Bring me your tired, dangerous, and ridiculed old Ballards, I will give them succor and peace. Wink

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #74 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
32 ballard xl wrote on Nov 16th, 2012 at 5:50pm:
    I would be interested in a "sock drawer" Ballard.  I promise I will keep it under lock and key 99% of the time, and not offend anyone by bringing it to a match.  I will only bring it out to caress by the light of the moon.  I promise, really, really I do.  Perhaps I will erect a miniature Statue of Liberty in my door-yard, emblazoned "Bring me your tired, dangerous, and ridiculed old Ballards, I will give them succor and peace. Wink

You would do this selfless task, for the sake of humanity?   

Bless you man, bless you!

Joe. 

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #75 - Nov 19th, 2012 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
     Yes Joe, it's a tremendous sacrifice, but I will man up and and do this for the betterment of my fellow man.  And think of all the happy go lucky citizens I'm saving from disfiguring injuries, or worse.   Wink

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #76 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
32 ballard xl wrote on Nov 19th, 2012 at 6:57pm:
     Yes Joe, it's a tremendous sacrifice, but I will man up and and do this for the betterment of my fellow man.  And think of all the happy go lucky citizens I'm saving from disfiguring injuries, or worse.   Wink

Hey I've got one of those sock drawer Ballards you're looking for! It's a #2 factory chambered for .44-40! Haven't fired it in years and taking it to the show this Sunday to sell!

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #77 - Nov 22nd, 2012 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
   My goodness, Marlinguy, how embarassing to be short of funds just when one of these hand grenades comes up for sale.  My sock drawer is all puckered up leading to tears over this. Cry

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

lucket

Reply #78 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
It's sad to hear of accidents like this..no matter what action was used. Embarrassed

IP Logged

rkaires
Frequent Elocutionist

No Stronger Bond

Reply #79 - Nov 24th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
agreed

ASSRA #11031
NRA Life
Proud Noodlehead

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands
around reloading."~ ~ Thomas Jefferson

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Here are the pictures.

Kurt

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #81 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Hindsight is always good stuff. We are supposed to learn by our mistakes but first we have to survive. Better yet design procedures so mistakes don't happen. I've been handloading for 68 years; very early on I inculcated priming and then placing the cartridges upside down in a block. Handle one by one from then on. Never had a problem but that also means using some common sense about the appropriate powder and load. 

But then there is Mark Twain and his quote " why is common sense so uncommon". 
Good design and implementation of that design is paramount to keeping one's head functional and attached to body. 
It is a shame that the Ballards were not forged. Can't win them all. The early Winchesters were 1008 for steel; not exactly fancy stuff but also they were forged which adds about 15% to to the strength. My winder is 1522 alloy but still not heat treated. Every once in a while I'm tempted to have it cased about 15 thou and then quenched (oil). I could then push it some but I am much more likely to simply make an action in 8620 or 4140 which would come up to modern standards.

Shifting gears; for those shooters that have access to "Double Gun Journal" Sherman Bell wrote a whole series of articles about substituting modern powders for black. It can be done if one keeps his wits. I rather like the approach of the Accurate Powder reloading manual which has a section on loading smokeless to replace black. Load BP in the recommended manner then test for pressure. Adjust the smokeless loads so the pressure is less than or equal to the BP pressure. No magic there. As always one has to preclude double or triple charging.   
Reloading is best done when one is not fuzzy headed. 

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #82 - Apr 12th, 2020 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
I look at the primer before charging every time.  No double charge yet  Smiley  If the case is not oriented correctly when I put it in the chamber, I dump the charge and look at the primer  and start over.  That is my  Ballard technique.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

squibshot

Reply #83 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Every new and experienced re-loader should hang that photo wherever they charges cases. Obviously that was a detonation.  If you don't have a fool proof system to prevent a double charge of smokeless you should stick with black.  One virtue of 4759 was a double charged the case it was easy to detect.  Very sorry for the lady and her family.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Hey accidents happen and no one surely did it on purpose. I once doubled charged my 32-40 CPA right in the middle of an event while being disrupted. No one I know of is any safer than I and I have been now doing for over twenty seven years. It happens and thankfully in my own personal incident no one was injured including myself. Am I now more cautious some might ask. Probably not more so than I have always been it was simply an unfortunate accident at the time and nothing more and nothing less. The only thing I did change was I now always having the case upside down until it actually goes into the chamber. If something disruptive happens to take place I do as BobZ mentioned I turn the case back upside down tap it on the bench a couple of times to make sure it is empty and start all over again.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #85 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
I have read but I also don't know if it's true that an under charged load can also cause a detonation and can become just as dangerous as an overloaded cartridge can. Unfortunately Ballard's have gotten a bad name when it comes to them being safe. I have seen several forged actions being loaded to what some would seem to be pretty hot with smokeless. Not only did they hold together but it was also what it took to get the ver best accuracy of those rifles. I have sat one bench over from someone shooting one in a match that I thought might be a little bit on the hot side but I never felt unsafe by sitting next one. Some folks tend to think they are a time bomb waiting to go off but it actually takes more than just a few grains or a few tenths to have them self destruct.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Apr 29th, 2020 at 8:37pm:
I have read but I also don't know if it's true that an under charged load can also cause a detonation and can become just as dangerous as an overloaded cartridge can. 

I used to shoot Win 296 in my .357 Mag. It had a warning to shoot published loads.  I could blow up both lower and higher.   It recall someone shooting it in a Ballard.  Spooked me  Huh

A couple guys at Tacoma had unexplained denotation with H-110.  They did it 3 times as I recall.  They decided to quit shooting it while they are ahead    Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #87 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
I have heard bad things about H110 and I have stayed away from using it. All though I did test both H110 and 296 neither one of them proved to be consistent enough for my own use. It's been quite sometime back now but if memory serves right all though some claim them both to be the same. The H110 was quite a bit more tempreture sensitive than some of the others proved out to be. It is funny in that you mentioned it being used in a Ballard. One of the folks I sat next to was also shooting it in his Ballard. I could clearly hear a difference in his shots when it started heating up for the day. He is also one of those who loaded it on the hotter side and a 32-40 probably pushing 1500 fps.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #88 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
When I moved from Colorado to Tacoma WA in 87, Chuck Bordman gave all his H110 to me. Chuck had quite a supply he had been winning at matches. 

Burned every bit of it in my Hiwall 32-40. No problems whatsoever and won many BR matches with it.

Few years previous someone blew up a rifle with H110.  Had a bad reputation.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - Apr 29th, 2020 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
All I ever shot in my Ballard was BP, 4227 AND 4759.  All were well proven and tested for nearly a century before I started shooting mine. I figure if they weren't OK in  Pope-Ballard, Harry would have put a stop to it Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Red Cent
Senior Forum Member

Reply #90 - May 1st, 2020 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
Over a half a century ago, I became aware of a load that was  ubiquitous in nature. It was the 38 Special load of 2.7 grs of Bullseye with a 148 gr full wadcutter. As usual there were a few blowups and they could not solve the mystery. I would suspect there were not any confessions forthcoming. The popular conclusion: detonation.
Until this day they have never been able to produce the same results in any lab. And the internet is rife with tests ran. 
SASS/Cowboy Action Shooting has the same (somewhat) circumstance.  We are noted for our light (woose) loads and it was determined that it was detonation. No confessions here either. 
I must admit that I strongly believe when this happens, then it is the reloader and not the load.

Life is too short to argue with stupid people
and/or drink cheap booze

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #91 - May 1st, 2020 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
I would think that a 148 gr full wadcutter takes up an awful lot of case capacity. Pressure is probably right up there like what happens to 40s when the bullet gets jammed down in the case. A double load would be very exciting.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #92 - May 1st, 2020 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
It was said that the pictured blown up Ballard was loaded with 5744, and a wad over the powder. The combination of the 5744 double base powder, with a wad against it certainly was more than a lot of receivers could hold. 
Since this incident the Quigley has banned the use of 5744 or some other double base powders. I don't think 5744 is a bad powder, just bad when you put a wad down against it.
As I type I have to admit I have a couple cast action Ballards chambered in .32-40 caliber, and have shot them too many times to count. They are certainly strong enough for sane people to reload for. They might not be safe enough for everyone, as some just like to push the limits. And I wouldn't build up such a gun, as these both came to me having been shot for many decades, and I hope to shoot them just as long.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #93 - May 1st, 2020 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Shoot smokeless powder in black powder rifles and you deserve what you get, shame about the rifle though.
Mike.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #94 - May 1st, 2020 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on May 1st, 2020 at 10:12pm:
Shoot smokeless powder in black powder rifles and you deserve what you get, shame about the rifle though.
Mike.

None of my dozens of Ballard rifles have ever seen BP in them since I've owned them. They're not complaining about being fed with smokeless.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #95 - May 2nd, 2020 at 9:18am
Print Post  
No doubt some smokeless powders work and prove themselves safe in these old rifles but under no circumstances will I use 5744 in my rifles. In years past I used it but after seeing the pictures of a destroyed 1903-A3, a rifle build to take extreme pressures, and no know reason for the destruction that powder is off my list until it is proven the cause was otherwise.

IP Logged

scharfe
Oldtimer

A good plan today beats
a perfect plan tomorrow.

Reply #96 - May 2nd, 2020 at 10:13am
Print Post  
It's a shame that things like this happen. I used to warn unknowing people especially when they are trying to sell. Most of the time they think you're trying to lowball them. There's a cast ballard frame that's cracked on Ebay now. 
Can it be fixed, yep. Would it make a dandy .22, you bet. May it become someone's new BPCR, who knows.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #97 - May 2nd, 2020 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Considering the crack, and it being a stripped action, I'd never consider it myself. I do have enough parts to assemble a complete action, but wouldn't waste or use them on that action unless somebody gave it to me.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #98 - May 2nd, 2020 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
To bad he didn't have the cadmium plated Parkenfarker fix installed.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #99 - May 2nd, 2020 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
No body is self deserving to get hurt or harmed. As Vall said in the past twenty seven years my BP rifles have never had BP being used in any of them to date. So are you saying we both deserve to have a rifle blow up, be hurt or to harm somebody else near by?

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #100 - May 2nd, 2020 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
John, who are you asking?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #101 - May 2nd, 2020 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
There is an article written in the January / February 2013 Single Shot Rifle Journal Vol. 66 No.1 about this action. It was a cast action and in 40-65 according to SSDave who also noted the load as being 20 or 22 grains of AA5744 who has stated he was also there at the time. The article by Bob Carow in the Journal was more specific to the weakness of the cast actions and to the whys and not specific to the accident itself.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #102 - May 2nd, 2020 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Yes sir, we should only use smokeless in modern actions;-)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #103 - May 2nd, 2020 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
He who mentioned in an earlier post those shooting smokeless in a BP rifle deserve what they get. It was a bit odd coming from him he is a real nice guy but the comment itself seemed a bit out of place.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #104 - May 2nd, 2020 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
The topic of old BP era guns, and BP vs. smokeless powders is always a hot topic. The purists are always saying BP is the safest and only way to go with any gun built before 1898 or there about. Those smart enough to know which smokeless powders to use, and how to load correctly also will never have any problems. 
There are numerous cases of shooters using smokeless powders to blow up brand new guns too, so maybe smokeless shouldn't be used in any gun, regardless of age if the person loading them doesn't have some special training, and a state license before he reloads? I'm sure some government agency could make us all safer, and we wont worry about what others are doing.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #105 - May 2nd, 2020 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
wanna stop drunk drivers? take away everyone's license.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #106 - May 2nd, 2020 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
I shoot smokeless in whatever I want long as it's safe.   

A modern made Cody Ballard is no stronger than an original forged Ballard. 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #107 - May 2nd, 2020 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
It wasn't long after the Ballard came apart when a modern Pedrasoli 45-70 did the samething at Quigely.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #108 - May 2nd, 2020 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
the problem with 140 year old rifles is we don't know how much abuse or fatigue they have suffered.  just because they didn't blow up yesterday doesn't mean they won't blow up tomorrow  fatigue is cumulative.  best  art

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #109 - May 2nd, 2020 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
One could only imagine how much abuse service rifles had to go through and they still are serving a very useful purpose of putting food on the table. If one has any doubts about a gun being safe that is what reputable gunsmith's are for. I have an old Springfield muzzle loading shotgun in the safe. Myself and my brother took it out numerous times for dove and pheasant hunting back in the 60's after we had it checked out.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #110 - May 2nd, 2020 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on May 2nd, 2020 at 5:32pm:
the problem with 140 year old rifles is we don't know how much abuse or fatigue they have suffered.  just because they didn't blow up yesterday doesn't mean they won't blow up tomorrow  fatigue is cumulative.  best  art

There are tell tale signs of abuse and wear, Art.   

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #111 - May 2nd, 2020 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Fortunately, verbal abuse neither shows or counts but may be repeated.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #112 - May 2nd, 2020 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
In all the years that I have known Westerner, I have never seen him verbally abuse a firearm. If he does it in the privacy of his own home, I have no way of knowing. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
Plethora?  You say I have a plethora?.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #113 - May 2nd, 2020 at 9:54pm
Print Post  

So true Art, but failures typically follow a bell curve. New guns can fail from manufacturing defect too. 
FWIW, Joe makes a good point, it's harder to spot problems on new guns.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #114 - May 2nd, 2020 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
In my previous post ( #94 ) I said that anyone who uses smokeless powder in these old guns deserves all that they get.
I wish to state that, I certainly didn't mean personal injury, so I just want to clarify that point.
Secondly, there are many shooters who have great deal of experience with re loading using smokeless powder, there are also no doubt a few with less experience who think they know it all, and, are prepared to pass on information to someone with an antique rifle who is just starting out in this game. This information could easily be faulty, resulting in an accident. 
Thirdly, as we get older we may not all get smarter, no one likes to admit this of course, but it's a fact of life for most of us.
I have no doubt that it would be very easy to double charge such a large capacity, such as a 40-65, without noticing you had done it.
Double charging a 40-65 with BP however is not possible, no matter how inexperienced you may be, to the best of my knowledge this goes for all BP cartridges.
Mike.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #115 - May 2nd, 2020 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy
There is probably a good argument for re testing motor car drivers over 80 a well as they are over represented in vehicle accidents, having said that I can't see that as happening either.
Mike.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #116 - May 2nd, 2020 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
There was an earlier comment about rifles being overly stressed over the years. Everyone of them has actualy purposely gone through that it's called proofing before they were ever sold.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #117 - May 2nd, 2020 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
There's no such thing as a safe gun powder, whether it's smokeless or black. Yes, some smokeless powders can be double, triple, or quadruple charged. But do we really care about that chance? Or do we simply log it into our brain and decide not to use some smokeless powders?
I'm totally comfortable after 50 years of loading everything I've owned with smokeless. I don't want to see anyone hurt, but I can only control what I do, and make sure I load safely. I wont condemn whatever choice someone makes in BP or smokeless powder. I may point out a particular powder as unsafe, or the charge unsafe. After that it's up too the individual to decide if he or she follows advice or warnings.
But remember, when smokeless powders became the rage everyone was pretty quick to start loading all these old guns with smokeless. And do we hear of many blown up over the last 125 years? And when we do it's usually pretty easy to determine what went wrong, and it's almost never the gun's fault.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #118 - May 3rd, 2020 at 8:54am
Print Post  
I guess one thing that hasn't been stated is black powder has an absolute maximum pressure that will not surpass the yeild limits of quality steel. Smokeless will easily wreck any rifle designed whatever the steel composituon. When all the single shot rifles were designed years ago only black powder was available and the designs for the most part were safe in that timeframe. Then here comes smokeless and the various designs began to fail to no fault of their own rather the lack of respect of the potential dangers in loading smokeless whatever the action. Know the actions strengths as well as the powder's capabilities and all is well but it's some folk's nature to push the limits and disaster is their educator. How the reloading business manages to stay in business is a marvel to me when so many have it in their genes to learn the hard way. They should be commended for there efforts.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2020 at 9:00am by Premod70 »  

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #119 - May 3rd, 2020 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 8:54am:
How the reloading business manages to stay in business is a marvel to me when so many have it in their genes to learn the hard way. They should be commended for there efforts.

Probably the 10x safety factor built into modern firearms  Grin

Steve Garbe told me they tried to blow up a modern steel Cody Ballers and could not do it.  Cool

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #120 - May 3rd, 2020 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
I am assuming Steve meant using black powder. But of course he was and is a good promoter. I would hate to see people building 22 PPC's on Ballard actions.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #121 - May 3rd, 2020 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
I guess one thing that hasn't been stated is black powder has an absolute maximum pressure that will not surpass the yeild limits of quality steel. Smokeless will easily wreck any rifle designed whatever the steel composituon. When all the single shot rifles were designed years ago only black powder was available and the designs for the most part were safe in that timeframe. Then here comes smokeless and the various designs began to fail to no fault of their own rather the lack of respect of the potential dangers in loading smokeless whatever the action. Know the actions strengths as well as the powder's capabilities and all is well but it's some folk's nature to push the limits and disaster is their educator. How the reloading business manages to stay in business is a marvel to me when so many have it in their genes to learn the hard way. They should be commended for there efforts.

I did a little study few years back Must have been ten or twelve blown up rifles. Turned out it was about 50 50 smokeless VS BP. 

BP will and does blow up rifles. Shooters find differing ways to do it, but they do 
do it. 

Scheutzenmeister and I know an individual with part of a digit missing from blowing up a Shiloh Sharps with BP. 

One of the ways to blow up a rifle with smokeless is to double charge it with reduced loads. 

One of the ways to blow up a rifle with BP is to fire it with a barrel obstruction. 

Reloading equipment companies are still in business because reloading incidents are rare. If you can find a statistics, compare with car death statistics.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #122 - May 3rd, 2020 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Agree on the safety factor being built in and why they are proofed with a load that they should never encounter as part of the inspection process before they are sold. Some act as if every BP cartridge powder rifle is on the ragged edge of wanting to explode I personally don't believe that to be true. I also believe there was a comment in regards to back in the day only BP was being used. But if memory serves right DuPont Schuetzen Smokeless powder was also very popular at the time. And also being sifted by JohnDKelly for use in his 38-72 Kelly Pope Ballard rifle according to his hand written load data included on some of the groups he shot. Pope considered Kelly to be the dean of benchrest shooting and a competitor who was difficult to beat. One would think if Pope was overly concerned about Kelly blowing up his Pope barreled Kelly Ballard his load data would have been different than what was being published and being used.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #123 - May 3rd, 2020 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 2:18pm:
I am assuming Steve meant using black powder. But of course he was and is a good promoter. I would hate to see people building 22 PPC's on Ballard actions.

I do not recall the caliber but it was described as a smokeless test to intentionally blow it up if it would yield.  There are other reasons to not use a Ballard for high pressure calibers.  Gas venting in case of case failure would be at the top of my list.  Antique action designs have many consideratoins.  A good reason to not use the 73 Winchester is the bolt lockup.  I don't want to lose an eye Shocked

During the ammo shortage a few years ago I shot one of the off breed brands of foriegn cheap garbge .22 LR ammo in my Ballard .22 for offhand practice. When the first case ruptured I thought it might be a fluke. The second time I felt the gas I returned the ammo. Full refund when I mentioned cases rupturing   Embarrassed

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #124 - May 3rd, 2020 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
The only time I had some 22 rupture was with Eley 10X. It does get your attention.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #125 - May 3rd, 2020 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
  Anybody that can't blow up a Ballard isn't trying very hard.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #126 - May 3rd, 2020 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Assuming a modern barrel and receiver ring would hold, what would be the first thing to go?

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #127 - May 3rd, 2020 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 4:29pm:
Assuming a modern barrel and receiver ring would hold, what would be the first thing to go?

I can't remember his name but a fellow at Raton  split the breach block.  The head of the screw hit the  shooter on the adjacent bench by his eye.  The blow up guy went home, made a new screw and shot the next day.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #128 - May 3rd, 2020 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Let me add another bit of information regarding failures.  the picture is of the breech of a bronze cannon.  Yes, I lit the fuse (back in 1964).   

If you look carefully, you will see darkened areas of fracture around the 1" bore.  This is where it had fractured before it exploded likely many years prior.  (you see the same kind of darkening in hydraulic fittings that fail).

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #129 - May 3rd, 2020 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 3:51pm:

Do you have a bunch or even a few documented cases?

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #130 - May 3rd, 2020 at 10:32pm
Print Post  

I've blown up well over 100 guns and I can tell you no gun is hard to blow up.

Aaron

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #131 - May 3rd, 2020 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 10:18pm:
Jeff_Schultz wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 3:51pm:

Do you have a bunch or even a few documented cases?

I know of at least 3.  Terry Savage blew up a nice one at Springfield with a 2x charge.  It was easy to remember if you sat at the wrong bench.  The hole in the roof  dripped on your rilfe when it was raining. 

The split breech block mentioned above at Raton. 

There was one more that I do not recall the circumstances.
They do let go  Cry

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #132 - May 4th, 2020 at 1:02am
Print Post  
I almost blew one up with a over length case fixed ammo round. Cracked the side of the frame. 32-40 BP.

Here's one that was blown up into two neat pieces, again black powder.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #133 - May 4th, 2020 at 9:28am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 3:11pm:

I did a little study few years back Must have been ten or twelve blown up rifles. Turned out it was about 50 50 smokeless VS BP. 

BP will and does blow up rifles. Shooters find differing ways to do it, but they do 
do it. 

Scheutzenmeister and I know an individual with part of a digit missing from blowing up a Shiloh Sharps with BP. 

One of the ways to blow up a rifle with smokeless is to double charge it with reduced loads. 

One of the ways to blow up a rifle with BP is to fire it with a barrel obstruction. 

Reloading equipment companies are still in business because reloading incidents are rare. If you can find a statistics, compare with car death statistics.

Not trying to turn this into a pissing contest but I like to know more about the Shiloh Sharps incident. Hard for me to grasp one of those rifle's actions coming apart with black powder. Years ago I witnessed a fellow load smokeless loads up to the point of the breech block locking up the action. Time after the breech block was hammered open as he tried various powders to find the maximum loads for the 50-90. The rifle is still in use today firing such loads. I would not dare to fire one but as I stated before some folks can't rest until they have bettered common sense. I can see a possible rupture of the barrel with black but the action behooves me.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #134 - May 4th, 2020 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Barrel obstruction. The preceding bullet didn't exit the barrel. Dave loaded another round pulled the trigger and burst the barrel where his hand was holding the barrel.   

When a barrel blows up, it's a blown up gun. 

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #135 - May 4th, 2020 at 11:23am
Print Post  
I WOULD THINK THAT MANY OF THE FAILURES COULD BE BLAMED ON 130+YEAR OLD PARTS AND FATIGUE.  ALSO ABUSE BY PREVIOUS OWNERS    ART

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #136 - May 5th, 2020 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Chuck Blender blew-up a Cody Ballard with a double charge of H-108, about 28gr.  It split the frame in the corners in back of the block and opened the breechblock. I don’t care how or with what material their made the design makes them fragile, nevertheless most all us singleshot nuts like Ballards. Ledball

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #137 - May 5th, 2020 at 10:07am
Print Post  
I have this 149 year old rifle that has been through 3 wars and is still going strong - wait, it's a 71 Mauser. Guess I should hang it up next to the 109 year old pistol, a Colt 1911.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #138 - May 5th, 2020 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
oneatatime - I Don't believe that anyone here is saying that YOU should hang up your 71 Mauser or God forbid your 1911, but from human error, ignorance or intention any firearm can and have been blown up and or destroyed. I think it can safely be said that it would be far simpler to blow up a Ballard than a Remington 700 for example. It is up to the pilot to keep that from happening to either. On this website it is our responsibility to encourage safe shooting, handloading for, and knowledge of the capabilities of these fine singleshot rifles, and to prevent injury to those that choose to shoot them. As an example, I think it was irresponsible for Steve Garbe, if in fact he actually stated that they did, fail to blow up one of their modern Ballard rifles using modern smokeless powder. If anyone here is willing to sacrifice a Cody Ballard to prove that, send it to me, and I will disprove it in short order. With no compensation of course. I understand that this is a touchy subject, but hurt feelings need to be set aside in favor of preventing much worse taking place.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #139 - May 5th, 2020 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
ledball wrote on May 5th, 2020 at 9:13am:
Chuck Blender blew-up a Cody Ballard with a double charge of H-108, about 28gr.  It split the frame in the corners in back of the block and opened the breechblock. I don’t care how or with what material their made the design makes them fragile, nevertheless most all us singleshot nuts like Ballards. Ledball

One day when I was at Etna Green, Chuck Blender approached me with his locked up Cody Ballard. Told me he had just double charged it and wanted to know what I would do with it. At that time I honestly didn't know. Don't remember seeing any cracks or damage to it, just locked up tight. 

At Cody one year, Garbe changed the rules in middle of the match. No more loading at the bench, could use only pre-loaded cases. So I go to bed that night and just as my head hits the pillow I realize I had not charged any cases with powder. Got dressed, headed to the loading room at the range where all my stuff was. Rob Labbs was sleeping in the room. Rob and I loaded a hundred cases with powder. Of course we got to BSing about this and that as we went. 

Next day shooting a BR match had a bullet go over the target and a stuck case in my Cody Ballard 38-55. Somehow got an over charge in a case. That was the end of my shooting with that rifle that day. 

Sue Miller for the sake of safety decided to use pre-loaded cases in her 32-40. Went out and cracked the receiver with a double charge. 

In my opinion, when breech seating in a match it is safer to single charge cases at the bench as you shoot. The home and loading room is full of distractions. When a match is run correctly there should be nothing to distract a shooter when loading.  Terry Savage blew up his wife's hammerless Ballard after someone interrupted him with a question.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #140 - May 5th, 2020 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
I understand, just seems that some folks have no appreciation of the merits of some of the older ones. That said,  I  would have had an impossible time blowing up the Rem 700 BDL in 7 Mag that I bought brand new in the box in the 70's. I say that because as it came from the factory it would not even chamber a round. Dang 5 cent pot metal extractor! I had a friend that did a little better on his. Got a bit hot on his loads and the bolt was stuck closed. Pulled a little too hard on it and the bolt handle came off in his hand. Don't you just love the quality of modern firearms!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #141 - May 5th, 2020 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
I don't remember reading that, Jeff.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #142 - May 5th, 2020 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
I probably should not have mentionoed that.  Anything can be destroyed if you try had enough.  I believe th epoint was the modern steel is a lot stronger than the originals.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #143 - May 5th, 2020 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I think it highly unlikely that anyone goes shooting with the intention of blowing up their rifle while sitting behind it. My guess would be that the great majority of blowups are a result of either re loading ignorance, mechanical failure due to age,  neglect, or just bad luck.
To my way of thinking loading a black powder cartridge with smokeless powder would be like fitting a supercharger to a T Model Ford to improve the performance, no doubt it would, but hardly in the spirit of collecting T Model Fords, and it might also damage the cars motor as well, just like using smokeless powder has done to some old rifles. Like I said before, shame about  the rifles, destroyed forever.
Mike.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #144 - May 5th, 2020 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on May 5th, 2020 at 10:17pm:
I think it highly unlikely that anyone goes shooting with the intention of blowing up their rifle while sitting behind it. My guess would be that the great majority of blowups are a result of either re loading ignorance, mechanical failure due to age,  neglect, or just bad luck.
To my way of thinking loading a black powder cartridge with smokeless powder would be like fitting a supercharger to a T Model Ford to improve the performance, no doubt it would, but hardly in the spirit of collecting T Model Fords, and it might also damage the cars motor as well, just like using smokeless powder has done to some old rifles. Like I said before, shame about  the rifles, destroyed forever.
Mike.

Have you ever heard of a reduced load of smokeless powder?   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #145 - May 5th, 2020 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Any BP era gun can be sanely loaded with smokeless forever and not damage it. If you don't know how, or don't believe it, then stick to BP.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #146 - May 6th, 2020 at 10:13am
Print Post  
My god you guys must be bored! This cud has been so chewed over theres nothing left.
First of all there is a world of difference between a cast Ballard frame and the modern steel Cody Ballard frames. While it is true that the split block and the general design limit the strength of the Ballard The forged frames and the modern steel framed Ballards are strong enough for MODERATE loads of smokeless. The combination of large cases made to hold black powder loads and smokeless powder means that caution should be taken when putting eyedropper amounts of powder on a washtub size case. That is one of the reasons I use straight cases or cases with a srright inside so a wad can be placed .050" to .100" off the powder. when you set the wad with a seater if the seater does not go down all the way to the shoulder then you have overcharged the case. 
Of coarse that does not take in the human ability to ignore danger signs and keep adding powder until a catastrophic failure occurs.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #147 - May 6th, 2020 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Sanely, that's important. Over the last 60 or so years I have re loaded all my ammunition for my 218 Bee, 22-250, .222, and my 243 Win, I have never had a problem, I made sure the loading information I got for each cartridge was from a reliable source, or published information. Someone purchasing a firearm which may be well over 140 years old and not having it checked by a competent gunsmith is possibly taking a risk in my opinion. Even then a defect in the casting may not be apparent, and could worsen over time. I certainly understand the principal of reduced loads but some people may not, hence the blowups. I would be interested in any details of blowups with BP and what was the cause if anybody knows. I have seen one M/L blow up picture that showed the barrel split at the breech and the lock blown out, I believe it was suggested that a second ball had been loaded on top of the first.
Keep safe.
Mike.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #148 - May 6th, 2020 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Neither is extremism in the pursuit of safety a vice.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #149 - May 6th, 2020 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on May 6th, 2020 at 10:19am:
I would be interested in any details of blowups with BP and what was the cause if anybody knows. I have seen one M/L blow up picture that showed the barrel split at the breech and the lock blown out, I believe it was suggested that a second ball had been loaded on top of the first.
Keep safe.
Mike.

2 balls on a standard ML BP charge should not be a problem unless there is air space between them.   

Double charges of powder were what I was told was the standard proof test to check antique ML to see if they were safe to shoot in the late 60s.   That was how I proofed my shotguns. 

I believe it was in Muzzle Blasts that a guy shooting an older rifle had the breech block blow out.  This was in the late 19th or early 20th century before X-rays.  It entered his skull through his eye socket. I do not recall the circumstances, but many years later that breech block was discovered as the cause of his headaches. 

There was an incident at Tacoma where a guy shooting squib loads rather than pulling the bullets shot with a bullet about 12 inches from the chamber.  It split the barrel of his Sharps and bloodied his hand.  I believe he lost the end of one finger.  The cases were not completely dry when he loaded them. 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #150 - May 6th, 2020 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Wow this post started out back in 2012 and 40 Rod I think you got it right. Everyone best stop and check their temps. it does appear that Cabin fever is rapidly spreading within this group.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #151 - May 6th, 2020 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
This horse has been dead for years, and beaten, dug up, and beaten again.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #152 - May 6th, 2020 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Yep and the Ballard's along with smokeless powder have been brutally victimized as a result. I am not a Ballard fan just not my cup of tea but I smokeless is the only powder I use. I feel for those of you of who have a love affair with your Ballard's and are aware of how they are to be safely used. I Can't even begin to imagine how much money some of you have invested. But I do know you have more than enough intelligence to keep from blowing them up no matter what powder you choose to use Vall.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #153 - May 6th, 2020 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
A hand full of inexperienced, uninformed posters is what keeps this thread dragging on. Asking dumb questions and refusing to accept sound advice. Some keep asking the same dumb questions over and over.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #154 - May 6th, 2020 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Westerner, this post is not intended for the experienced or imformed. We are always welcoming new people who have little or no experience with these rifles, these are the people who need to see this information, and make informed decisions. If you or others in the experienced and informed crowd don't feel that this subject need be brought up again, and it is a waste of time, then do not partake. I have had my say and will say no more till the next go around.      Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #155 - May 6th, 2020 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on May 6th, 2020 at 6:29pm:
A hand full of inexperienced, uninformed posters is what keeps this thread dragging on. Asking dumb questions and refusing to accept sound advice. Some keep asking the same dumb questions over and over. 

Reminds me of watching a Congressional hearing! No matter how many times a question is asked and answered, more Congressmen think of another way to ask the same thing again.
In the end the result of however many pages this goes to will be some will be afraid of a Ballard action, and never consider owning or shooting one. All it does is tarnish a very fine action.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #156 - May 6th, 2020 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
There are a few here who just don't get it over and over and over. They are not new. Some make me wonder if they have ever read a reloading manual. There comes a point where the questions become dumb questions. 

Makes me wonder if they have an agenda.

New members will gain nothing by being exposed to the drivel in this thread.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #157 - May 6th, 2020 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Vall all though Ballard's are just not my cup of tea I have absolutely no fear in taking one out to shot. For those who might know they have the shortest hammer fall and double set triggers to die for and by far more superior than most.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #158 - May 6th, 2020 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester
I think I may have seen that picture in Muzzle Blasts Magazine like you said. I have a DVD by Wallace Gussler showing him building a M/L rifle in the forge he ran in Colonial Williamsburg for the tourists. In the video which shows the forging of the barrel from a flat skelp, he also details the testing of the barrel by strapping it into a tree and loading a double charge of BP followed by 2 balls, this was detonated by fuse from a safe distance. If the barrel survived this test then the finish work was completed. If you have any interest in gun building in the old days, before any power tools, this DVD is well worth getting if you can find a copy. Let me know if you can't find a copy and I will see what I can do.
Mike.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #159 - May 6th, 2020 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
JL, We have way, way too much invested in Ballards. When I brought my Stevens-Pope home I had to fess up.  She would have a heart attack when she balanced the check book Shocked  I told her I would sell some some. I called a friend and told him I needed to sell one he wanted.  It paid for about a quarter of what I had just spent.  I told her I had sold one within a half an hour.  She was happy and so was I Wink   Bill Crane told me I could have 2 good target rifles for what the Ballard cost but it was more fun. I just hope I shot it well enough that Harry considered me worthy of it.   

Mike, Thanks, That CD is available from Colonial Williamsburg.  I filmed a 3 day seminar the fellow that replaced Gussler did here for Cascade Mountain Men in the mid 70s.  I have the interest, but lack time and skill.  I did make my first Kentucky rifle in the early 70s before kits were common. 

I used a long, long string proof testing   Grin

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #160 - May 6th, 2020 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
I've been hoping that it scares everybody into giving away their cast frame Ballards, I'm ready to take all  of them. Just give me a holler. 
Lee Gibbs Pres.ASSRA

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #161 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I've got several cast Ballard actions sitting here that I planned to build into .22RF rifles some day. Just haven't gotten around to it because I have plenty already in .22RF now. Funny thing is far more of my .22RF Ballards are built on forged frames by famous makers when forged Ballards were likely dirt cheap, and not appreciated. If they weren't completed rifles by respected makers I'd have stolen the barrels to finish the cast Ballards, and put some spare CF barrels I have on the forged frames.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #162 - May 7th, 2020 at 11:01am
Print Post  
so val what in your opinion is the largest safe caliber-cartridge to build on a GOOD cast action?   thanks  art

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #163 - May 7th, 2020 at 11:23am
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on May 7th, 2020 at 11:01am:
so val what in your opinion is the largest safe caliber-cartridge to build on a GOOD cast action?   thanks  art

Safe is a tough one Art. I've got a #2 cast Ballard I've shot in .32-40 for a very long time, but I wouldn't build one like it. Doesn't mean I'd tear it apart or rebarrel it either. It's been this way longer than I've been alive. 
If I was building one I'd stick with .22LR, or .32 Long myself. But .32 Long isn't much fun to do unless you're already set up for the caliber.

This is my #2 in .32-40 chamber. How could anyone change such an unusual #2? I knew what it was when I bought it, but I can deal with carefully loading for it too.

I've owned factory chambered #2's in .44-40 that Marlin built also. Shot them a lot with sane smokeless loads, and no issues. Have a couple presently factory chambered in .32-20 also. Great shooters.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #164 - May 7th, 2020 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Ballard double charge blow up or Winchester double charge blowup.  Take your pick.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #165 - May 7th, 2020 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Amazing how much actually came apart and thanks for sharing it Joe.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #166 - May 7th, 2020 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Well, you might expect that on an old Winchester but not so much on the Ballard;-) You don't suppose they were using that old Lyman manual that had a load of something like 43 grains of Bullseye? Anyone else remember that?

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #167 - May 7th, 2020 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
That Winchester came apart at one of our monthly matches here in San Diego.  It was covered in the Single Shot Rifle Journal of May/June 2010.  Took 4 or 5 consecutive shots with double charged cases.  BE CAREFUL!

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #168 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
I remember that bad Lyman book load being published. But fortunately most already knew it wasn't even close to being safe at the time.
Joe in regards to the Winchester was it not obvious something was wrong with the first double charge.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #169 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Many years ago I was at the NMLRA in Friendship for one of their annual shoots in either June or September and was shown a Hi Wall that had a quite big split in the top of the receiver.
According to what I was told the owner had noticed a very small split appearing in the top of the receiver but decided to have another shot anyway. There's one born every minute.
Mike

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #170 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Yes John, in hindsight, it was, but I think sometimes in the moment, we may tend to disregard or ignore some of the obvious signs.

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #171 - May 8th, 2020 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Thanks Joe

IP Logged

Steve Garbe
Participating Member

Reply #172 - May 9th, 2020 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Gentlemen,
I was made aware of the renewal of this discussion and wanted to set the record straight.

I was misquoted as having said that "we tried to blow up one of our Ballards and couldn't" or words to that effect.

Any gun can be blown up, with any powder, black or smokeless.

When we (Ballard Rifle Co.) proof tested one of our Ballards at White Laboratories, the technician proofed up to low end .458 Winchester loads. At that point the action lost .010 headspace, the tail of the breechblock was bent and the lever screw was distorted enough that it couldn't be removed. He called me, described what happened and asked if I wanted it catastrophically failed (blown up). I told him not to bother, it was not necessary.

Our Ballards were machined from solid 8620 stock, properly bone charcoal casehardened and correctly fit. In my experience I have seen more "gunsmithing" done to Ballards than any other single shot. Replacement of the lever screw with one made from leaded screw stock is the most common. These sorts of "repairs" can seriously affect the strength of the Ballard action.

If you are going to shoot a Ballard, and don't understand the idiosyncrasies of the Ballard patent, please find a competent gunsmith who does and have him check the action out for safety.

Steve Garbe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint