Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: rebornbhmsGP on: Mar 12th, 2015 at 2:58am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley (Read 80721 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley
Reply #165 - May 7th, 2020 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Amazing how much actually came apart and thanks for sharing it Joe.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #166 - May 7th, 2020 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Well, you might expect that on an old Winchester but not so much on the Ballard;-) You don't suppose they were using that old Lyman manual that had a load of something like 43 grains of Bullseye? Anyone else remember that?

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #167 - May 7th, 2020 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
That Winchester came apart at one of our monthly matches here in San Diego.  It was covered in the Single Shot Rifle Journal of May/June 2010.  Took 4 or 5 consecutive shots with double charged cases.  BE CAREFUL!

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #168 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
I remember that bad Lyman book load being published. But fortunately most already knew it wasn't even close to being safe at the time.
Joe in regards to the Winchester was it not obvious something was wrong with the first double charge.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #169 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Many years ago I was at the NMLRA in Friendship for one of their annual shoots in either June or September and was shown a Hi Wall that had a quite big split in the top of the receiver.
According to what I was told the owner had noticed a very small split appearing in the top of the receiver but decided to have another shot anyway. There's one born every minute.
Mike

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #170 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Yes John, in hindsight, it was, but I think sometimes in the moment, we may tend to disregard or ignore some of the obvious signs.

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #171 - May 8th, 2020 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Thanks Joe

IP Logged

Steve Garbe
Participating Member

Reply #172 - May 9th, 2020 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Gentlemen,
I was made aware of the renewal of this discussion and wanted to set the record straight.

I was misquoted as having said that "we tried to blow up one of our Ballards and couldn't" or words to that effect.

Any gun can be blown up, with any powder, black or smokeless.

When we (Ballard Rifle Co.) proof tested one of our Ballards at White Laboratories, the technician proofed up to low end .458 Winchester loads. At that point the action lost .010 headspace, the tail of the breechblock was bent and the lever screw was distorted enough that it couldn't be removed. He called me, described what happened and asked if I wanted it catastrophically failed (blown up). I told him not to bother, it was not necessary.

Our Ballards were machined from solid 8620 stock, properly bone charcoal casehardened and correctly fit. In my experience I have seen more "gunsmithing" done to Ballards than any other single shot. Replacement of the lever screw with one made from leaded screw stock is the most common. These sorts of "repairs" can seriously affect the strength of the Ballard action.

If you are going to shoot a Ballard, and don't understand the idiosyncrasies of the Ballard patent, please find a competent gunsmith who does and have him check the action out for safety.

Steve Garbe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 
Send TopicPrint