Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: rebornbhmsGP on: Mar 12th, 2015 at 2:58am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley (Read 80725 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley
Reply #150 - May 6th, 2020 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
Wow this post started out back in 2012 and 40 Rod I think you got it right. Everyone best stop and check their temps. it does appear that Cabin fever is rapidly spreading within this group.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #151 - May 6th, 2020 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
This horse has been dead for years, and beaten, dug up, and beaten again.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #152 - May 6th, 2020 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Yep and the Ballard's along with smokeless powder have been brutally victimized as a result. I am not a Ballard fan just not my cup of tea but I smokeless is the only powder I use. I feel for those of you of who have a love affair with your Ballard's and are aware of how they are to be safely used. I Can't even begin to imagine how much money some of you have invested. But I do know you have more than enough intelligence to keep from blowing them up no matter what powder you choose to use Vall.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #153 - May 6th, 2020 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
A hand full of inexperienced, uninformed posters is what keeps this thread dragging on. Asking dumb questions and refusing to accept sound advice. Some keep asking the same dumb questions over and over.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #154 - May 6th, 2020 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Westerner, this post is not intended for the experienced or imformed. We are always welcoming new people who have little or no experience with these rifles, these are the people who need to see this information, and make informed decisions. If you or others in the experienced and informed crowd don't feel that this subject need be brought up again, and it is a waste of time, then do not partake. I have had my say and will say no more till the next go around.      Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #155 - May 6th, 2020 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on May 6th, 2020 at 6:29pm:
A hand full of inexperienced, uninformed posters is what keeps this thread dragging on. Asking dumb questions and refusing to accept sound advice. Some keep asking the same dumb questions over and over. 

Reminds me of watching a Congressional hearing! No matter how many times a question is asked and answered, more Congressmen think of another way to ask the same thing again.
In the end the result of however many pages this goes to will be some will be afraid of a Ballard action, and never consider owning or shooting one. All it does is tarnish a very fine action.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #156 - May 6th, 2020 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
There are a few here who just don't get it over and over and over. They are not new. Some make me wonder if they have ever read a reloading manual. There comes a point where the questions become dumb questions. 

Makes me wonder if they have an agenda.

New members will gain nothing by being exposed to the drivel in this thread.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #157 - May 6th, 2020 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Vall all though Ballard's are just not my cup of tea I have absolutely no fear in taking one out to shot. For those who might know they have the shortest hammer fall and double set triggers to die for and by far more superior than most.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #158 - May 6th, 2020 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester
I think I may have seen that picture in Muzzle Blasts Magazine like you said. I have a DVD by Wallace Gussler showing him building a M/L rifle in the forge he ran in Colonial Williamsburg for the tourists. In the video which shows the forging of the barrel from a flat skelp, he also details the testing of the barrel by strapping it into a tree and loading a double charge of BP followed by 2 balls, this was detonated by fuse from a safe distance. If the barrel survived this test then the finish work was completed. If you have any interest in gun building in the old days, before any power tools, this DVD is well worth getting if you can find a copy. Let me know if you can't find a copy and I will see what I can do.
Mike.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #159 - May 6th, 2020 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
JL, We have way, way too much invested in Ballards. When I brought my Stevens-Pope home I had to fess up.  She would have a heart attack when she balanced the check book Shocked  I told her I would sell some some. I called a friend and told him I needed to sell one he wanted.  It paid for about a quarter of what I had just spent.  I told her I had sold one within a half an hour.  She was happy and so was I Wink   Bill Crane told me I could have 2 good target rifles for what the Ballard cost but it was more fun. I just hope I shot it well enough that Harry considered me worthy of it.   

Mike, Thanks, That CD is available from Colonial Williamsburg.  I filmed a 3 day seminar the fellow that replaced Gussler did here for Cascade Mountain Men in the mid 70s.  I have the interest, but lack time and skill.  I did make my first Kentucky rifle in the early 70s before kits were common. 

I used a long, long string proof testing   Grin

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #160 - May 6th, 2020 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
I've been hoping that it scares everybody into giving away their cast frame Ballards, I'm ready to take all  of them. Just give me a holler. 
Lee Gibbs Pres.ASSRA

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #161 - May 7th, 2020 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I've got several cast Ballard actions sitting here that I planned to build into .22RF rifles some day. Just haven't gotten around to it because I have plenty already in .22RF now. Funny thing is far more of my .22RF Ballards are built on forged frames by famous makers when forged Ballards were likely dirt cheap, and not appreciated. If they weren't completed rifles by respected makers I'd have stolen the barrels to finish the cast Ballards, and put some spare CF barrels I have on the forged frames.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #162 - May 7th, 2020 at 11:01am
Print Post  
so val what in your opinion is the largest safe caliber-cartridge to build on a GOOD cast action?   thanks  art

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #163 - May 7th, 2020 at 11:23am
Print Post  
art_ruggiero wrote on May 7th, 2020 at 11:01am:
so val what in your opinion is the largest safe caliber-cartridge to build on a GOOD cast action?   thanks  art

Safe is a tough one Art. I've got a #2 cast Ballard I've shot in .32-40 for a very long time, but I wouldn't build one like it. Doesn't mean I'd tear it apart or rebarrel it either. It's been this way longer than I've been alive. 
If I was building one I'd stick with .22LR, or .32 Long myself. But .32 Long isn't much fun to do unless you're already set up for the caliber.

This is my #2 in .32-40 chamber. How could anyone change such an unusual #2? I knew what it was when I bought it, but I can deal with carefully loading for it too.

I've owned factory chambered #2's in .44-40 that Marlin built also. Shot them a lot with sane smokeless loads, and no issues. Have a couple presently factory chambered in .32-20 also. Great shooters.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #164 - May 7th, 2020 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Ballard double charge blow up or Winchester double charge blowup.  Take your pick.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 
Send TopicPrint