Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: rebornbhmsGP on: Mar 12th, 2015 at 2:58am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley (Read 80722 times)
art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley
Reply #135 - May 4th, 2020 at 11:23am
Print Post  
I WOULD THINK THAT MANY OF THE FAILURES COULD BE BLAMED ON 130+YEAR OLD PARTS AND FATIGUE.  ALSO ABUSE BY PREVIOUS OWNERS    ART

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #136 - May 5th, 2020 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Chuck Blender blew-up a Cody Ballard with a double charge of H-108, about 28gr.  It split the frame in the corners in back of the block and opened the breechblock. I don’t care how or with what material their made the design makes them fragile, nevertheless most all us singleshot nuts like Ballards. Ledball

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #137 - May 5th, 2020 at 10:07am
Print Post  
I have this 149 year old rifle that has been through 3 wars and is still going strong - wait, it's a 71 Mauser. Guess I should hang it up next to the 109 year old pistol, a Colt 1911.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #138 - May 5th, 2020 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
oneatatime - I Don't believe that anyone here is saying that YOU should hang up your 71 Mauser or God forbid your 1911, but from human error, ignorance or intention any firearm can and have been blown up and or destroyed. I think it can safely be said that it would be far simpler to blow up a Ballard than a Remington 700 for example. It is up to the pilot to keep that from happening to either. On this website it is our responsibility to encourage safe shooting, handloading for, and knowledge of the capabilities of these fine singleshot rifles, and to prevent injury to those that choose to shoot them. As an example, I think it was irresponsible for Steve Garbe, if in fact he actually stated that they did, fail to blow up one of their modern Ballard rifles using modern smokeless powder. If anyone here is willing to sacrifice a Cody Ballard to prove that, send it to me, and I will disprove it in short order. With no compensation of course. I understand that this is a touchy subject, but hurt feelings need to be set aside in favor of preventing much worse taking place.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #139 - May 5th, 2020 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
ledball wrote on May 5th, 2020 at 9:13am:
Chuck Blender blew-up a Cody Ballard with a double charge of H-108, about 28gr.  It split the frame in the corners in back of the block and opened the breechblock. I don’t care how or with what material their made the design makes them fragile, nevertheless most all us singleshot nuts like Ballards. Ledball

One day when I was at Etna Green, Chuck Blender approached me with his locked up Cody Ballard. Told me he had just double charged it and wanted to know what I would do with it. At that time I honestly didn't know. Don't remember seeing any cracks or damage to it, just locked up tight. 

At Cody one year, Garbe changed the rules in middle of the match. No more loading at the bench, could use only pre-loaded cases. So I go to bed that night and just as my head hits the pillow I realize I had not charged any cases with powder. Got dressed, headed to the loading room at the range where all my stuff was. Rob Labbs was sleeping in the room. Rob and I loaded a hundred cases with powder. Of course we got to BSing about this and that as we went. 

Next day shooting a BR match had a bullet go over the target and a stuck case in my Cody Ballard 38-55. Somehow got an over charge in a case. That was the end of my shooting with that rifle that day. 

Sue Miller for the sake of safety decided to use pre-loaded cases in her 32-40. Went out and cracked the receiver with a double charge. 

In my opinion, when breech seating in a match it is safer to single charge cases at the bench as you shoot. The home and loading room is full of distractions. When a match is run correctly there should be nothing to distract a shooter when loading.  Terry Savage blew up his wife's hammerless Ballard after someone interrupted him with a question.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #140 - May 5th, 2020 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
I understand, just seems that some folks have no appreciation of the merits of some of the older ones. That said,  I  would have had an impossible time blowing up the Rem 700 BDL in 7 Mag that I bought brand new in the box in the 70's. I say that because as it came from the factory it would not even chamber a round. Dang 5 cent pot metal extractor! I had a friend that did a little better on his. Got a bit hot on his loads and the bolt was stuck closed. Pulled a little too hard on it and the bolt handle came off in his hand. Don't you just love the quality of modern firearms!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #141 - May 5th, 2020 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
I don't remember reading that, Jeff.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #142 - May 5th, 2020 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
I probably should not have mentionoed that.  Anything can be destroyed if you try had enough.  I believe th epoint was the modern steel is a lot stronger than the originals.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #143 - May 5th, 2020 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I think it highly unlikely that anyone goes shooting with the intention of blowing up their rifle while sitting behind it. My guess would be that the great majority of blowups are a result of either re loading ignorance, mechanical failure due to age,  neglect, or just bad luck.
To my way of thinking loading a black powder cartridge with smokeless powder would be like fitting a supercharger to a T Model Ford to improve the performance, no doubt it would, but hardly in the spirit of collecting T Model Fords, and it might also damage the cars motor as well, just like using smokeless powder has done to some old rifles. Like I said before, shame about  the rifles, destroyed forever.
Mike.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #144 - May 5th, 2020 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on May 5th, 2020 at 10:17pm:
I think it highly unlikely that anyone goes shooting with the intention of blowing up their rifle while sitting behind it. My guess would be that the great majority of blowups are a result of either re loading ignorance, mechanical failure due to age,  neglect, or just bad luck.
To my way of thinking loading a black powder cartridge with smokeless powder would be like fitting a supercharger to a T Model Ford to improve the performance, no doubt it would, but hardly in the spirit of collecting T Model Fords, and it might also damage the cars motor as well, just like using smokeless powder has done to some old rifles. Like I said before, shame about  the rifles, destroyed forever.
Mike.

Have you ever heard of a reduced load of smokeless powder?   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #145 - May 5th, 2020 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Any BP era gun can be sanely loaded with smokeless forever and not damage it. If you don't know how, or don't believe it, then stick to BP.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #146 - May 6th, 2020 at 10:13am
Print Post  
My god you guys must be bored! This cud has been so chewed over theres nothing left.
First of all there is a world of difference between a cast Ballard frame and the modern steel Cody Ballard frames. While it is true that the split block and the general design limit the strength of the Ballard The forged frames and the modern steel framed Ballards are strong enough for MODERATE loads of smokeless. The combination of large cases made to hold black powder loads and smokeless powder means that caution should be taken when putting eyedropper amounts of powder on a washtub size case. That is one of the reasons I use straight cases or cases with a srright inside so a wad can be placed .050" to .100" off the powder. when you set the wad with a seater if the seater does not go down all the way to the shoulder then you have overcharged the case. 
Of coarse that does not take in the human ability to ignore danger signs and keep adding powder until a catastrophic failure occurs.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #147 - May 6th, 2020 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Sanely, that's important. Over the last 60 or so years I have re loaded all my ammunition for my 218 Bee, 22-250, .222, and my 243 Win, I have never had a problem, I made sure the loading information I got for each cartridge was from a reliable source, or published information. Someone purchasing a firearm which may be well over 140 years old and not having it checked by a competent gunsmith is possibly taking a risk in my opinion. Even then a defect in the casting may not be apparent, and could worsen over time. I certainly understand the principal of reduced loads but some people may not, hence the blowups. I would be interested in any details of blowups with BP and what was the cause if anybody knows. I have seen one M/L blow up picture that showed the barrel split at the breech and the lock blown out, I believe it was suggested that a second ball had been loaded on top of the first.
Keep safe.
Mike.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #148 - May 6th, 2020 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Neither is extremism in the pursuit of safety a vice.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #149 - May 6th, 2020 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on May 6th, 2020 at 10:19am:
I would be interested in any details of blowups with BP and what was the cause if anybody knows. I have seen one M/L blow up picture that showed the barrel split at the breech and the lock blown out, I believe it was suggested that a second ball had been loaded on top of the first.
Keep safe.
Mike.

2 balls on a standard ML BP charge should not be a problem unless there is air space between them.   

Double charges of powder were what I was told was the standard proof test to check antique ML to see if they were safe to shoot in the late 60s.   That was how I proofed my shotguns. 

I believe it was in Muzzle Blasts that a guy shooting an older rifle had the breech block blow out.  This was in the late 19th or early 20th century before X-rays.  It entered his skull through his eye socket. I do not recall the circumstances, but many years later that breech block was discovered as the cause of his headaches. 

There was an incident at Tacoma where a guy shooting squib loads rather than pulling the bullets shot with a bullet about 12 inches from the chamber.  It split the barrel of his Sharps and bloodied his hand.  I believe he lost the end of one finger.  The cases were not completely dry when he loaded them. 

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 
Send TopicPrint