Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: rebornbhmsGP on: Mar 12th, 2015 at 2:58am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley (Read 80726 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard Action Blow-up at the Quigley
Reply #15 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Fred Boulton wrote on Jun 19th, 2012 at 2:30pm:
Sorry Frank: if the barrel is steel---elastic-- and the receiver is grey cast iron---brittle and non-elastic, then the frame can fail first. When the frame cracks, it is no longer supporting the barrel hoop stresses and barrel failure will then follow--all in the space of a few micro-seconds.
Fred

Sorry Fred, i can't quite buy into that. I'm not posting to start a argument here but, if what you say is true, there would be cases where the receiver ring spit but the barrel stayed in tact. What I'm saying is that BEFORE there can be a catastrophic RADIAL failure, there HAS to be a barrel failure first. Depending on the barrel shank diameter and the cartridge case diameter, the barrel shank can be much stronger than the receiver ring. 

I'm not saying that a frame will not crack, either. As I posted above, a modern barrel does not even need a action to fire high pressure loads, as long as the thrust can be contained. 

My main interest was what the barrel was. It would also be of interest to know about the extractor cut in the barrel.

Extractor cuts are extremely important and for safest results, they should have as large a radii as possible and not be over .180 deep even if they have a substantial radii.

If you double charge a case, there is no guarantee that any action will take the pressure generated.

I think there should be investigations done in cases like this but, that they have NO legal standing and be done for informative, learning tools.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
ssdave, 

Interesting report about what may have been an old receiver ring crack. 

Did anyone happen to examine the barrel and liner after it traveled downrange, and note what the O.D. of the liner may have been?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

drc

Reply #17 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Over on the Shiloh board it was reported by Mike Venturino that 

Quote:
Yesterday we heard from a co-worker of the injured lady that after a seven hour operation in Salt Lake they were able to save the thumb and one finger of the hand. That's not carved in stone but her co-worker is our neighbor.

MLV

IP Logged

Uechi

Reply #18 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Since I'm not a competitor, I am sure I'll get flack for this but why would anybody in his right mind use a smokeless or duplex load in a rifle designed for BP? I don't understand unless it is just about cleanup of the BP. I know people shoot old BP firearms all the time with smokeless or duplex loads. I think it is just plain dumb and dangerous unless you know what pressures are being generated exactly and they are well below what an old BP firearm can handle.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Here's an example of the weakness of Ballard receiver castings ... when I was reworking the JM Marlin#3 Target 22LR, the complete receiver casting was covered with pits.  If the plating was still on it - would have never known how bad the casting was

IP Logged

drc

Reply #20 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
I am going to go out on a limb here and make an assumption (and we all know what assume does) but I will assume it was her husband that got her the rifle and did the loading. not being sexist, just realistic. in our household that is how it is. how would you like to be explaining to your wife how you effed-up and cost her half her hand ?

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Uechi wrote on Jun 19th, 2012 at 8:30pm:
why would anybody in his right mind use a smokeless or duplex load in a rifle designed for BP? 

I've had to ask myself that question recently, so I'll answer it.

The nature of the game at Quigley comes close to forcing you to, with a novice shooter.  When I started shooting it a few years ago, there were about half the shooters there are today.  Blackpowder was the norm, although many did shoot smokeless.  Blow tubing was the norm for blackpowder.  Relays were slow paced, and each shooter took the time to blow tube.  With more shooters, the range officers are continuously pushing people to be quick.  Because of that, a lot have gone to smokeless, although many have gone to wiping with a rod between shots.   

I built my wife a smokeless rifle this year.  I also lend my two brother in laws that shoot once a year with us my Browning BPCR, and load smokeless ammo for them.  As a novice shooter, they can spend their time between shots operating the action, adjusting sights, etc and not cleaning their barrel or blow tubing.  They need every minute they can get.

The good thing about black is that contrary to popular opinion, it is faster and easier to clean up than smokeless.  I blow a mouth full of water through the barrel, put through a patch, repeat, and then dry with a patch.  Push through a lubed patch, and I'm done.  Half the effort of smokeless cleanup.

I used a high wall action in .38-55 for my wifes rifle.  I also worked up a load, and then sequentially loaded it hotter until I was very near a double charge (and case full).  It didn't have horribly excess pressure signs, so I concluded it was a safe load, regardless of whether I made a loading mistake.

I also use a load for the Browning that can stand a double charge.  The Browning, like the winchester, can stand a full case load of smokeless.  It's your shoulder that complains.

dave

IP Logged

Dr Tom

Reply #22 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 12:07am
Print Post  
The Browning wasn't designed for BP. It can handle modern smokeless cartridges loaded to SAAMI specs. It cannot, however, withstand a case full of bullseye or 231.

High walls come in several flavors. Three that I am aware of are early BP (forged very low carbon steel, thin case hardening, not heat treated) late smokeless (forged, various alloy steels, heat treated and blued) and experimental or short run (YMMV). Early high walls can become battered internally with "more than moderate" smokeless loads, despite what some authors may have published back in the sixties. The other flavors are probably stronger than you will ever need...unless the action came from a .22 RF Winder Musket. Some of these are amazingly soft. Were they made with left over early actions? Only your metallurgist may know for sure. The SN is not a valid clue as to the age or strength of a high wall. It's located on the removable lower tang.

Be very safe out there!

Dr Tom

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:27am
Print Post  
ssdave, a lot of what you say about reasons for using smokeless at the Q are for sure correct but I have noticed that even some long time shooters have moved to using smokeless.  Some of them are excellent shooters.  I don't know if they believe it is an advantage in accuracy or what.  It sure makes it difficult for a blackpowder shooter to keep up with fouling control when he is in a group with 3 or 4 smokeless shooters.  Dr. Tom's advice is good and should be heeded.  Even though the highwall is strong, each one is dependent on it's metallurgy when it was made and how well it was cared for over its lifetime.  Some of you may remember bout 2 years ago when a west coast shooter split his 32-40 highwall action in half most likely with a double charge.  He was most fortunate and there was no barrel failure.  Using large capacity cases with smokeless in an old action is just asking for trouble even in a case the size of a 32-40.  Bob

IP Logged

Uechi

Reply #24 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 10:05am
Print Post  
So people are using smokeless because the rules allow it and it is an advantage over BP? If that is the case why not change the rules so that only BP can be used? Another possibilty is to have two divisions, BP with modern or antique arms and smokeless with modern or antique foirearms made for smokeless. I find it very interesting that the Quigley match was named after the ficitional Tom Selleck movie character. I seem to remember he was using BP not smokeless or duplex loads. Perhaps the contest needs to be renamed. In any event, I still think using smokeless or duplex loads in BP firearms is like dancing with the grim reaper. One of these days someone is going to be killed or will kill another competitor or bystander and then  the law suits will either end the competition or force a change in the rules.

IP Logged

mwhite49
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
I had a friend 2 seats away from this lady in the other direction and he said the same thing about the sound and saw the barrel headed downrange. He is a gunsmith and thinks the liner failed which caused the barrel to fail being a mild steel barrel. She is lucky to be alive. The accident could have been far worse then it was. He did not think it was a frame failure at all.
Mike

IP Logged

graduated peep
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
All this talk of questionable actions brings up a question:
Does anybody bother to get any of these old actions magnafluxed prior re-building them into a shooter ???????
Seems like a real sane thing to do; especially with cast iron frames.
I learned about this working with vintage motorcycles.
One particular make used cast iron for their crankshafts; and over time and with poor maintenance , cracks would develop in the con-rod bearing journals from the crank flexing.
These would generally be undetectable to the naked eye, but with magnaflux, they showed up brilliantly.
Needless to say, a cracked iron crank is about as useless as a cracked iron receiver and just about as dangerous in my opinion.

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Hello, everyone.  The suggestion made by Uechi, of having differen't classes for black & smokeless makes sense..it seems that if there is the slightest bit of grey area as far as rules go..someone is going to jump in there and use it for their advantage..real or imagined.
  I remember back in the  early 90's, when some of the then new black powder shilouette shooters came out to try schuetzen shooting.  Their scores were lower of course than the smaller caliber schuetzen rifles..but then they were using big bore (.40+) "buffalo rifles" burning black powder.
I still recall the silent stares of the "true target shooters" if the smokescreen laid down by these big boomers happened to disturb their aim.  There was grumbling heard in back of the firing line..heck of a way to welcome potentially new shooting members!
Not many of those guys came back.  How ironic..and hypocritical!  Even our venerated H.M. Pope was using black in his muzzle/breech loaders.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
mwhite49 wrote Quote:
I had a friend 2 seats away from this lady in the other direction and he said the same thing about the sound and saw the barrel headed downrange. He is a gunsmith and thinks the liner failed which caused the barrel to fail being a mild steel barrel.

Mike, 

That's one reason I asked if anyone had examined the barrel and liner. We don't have any hard data to go by yet, and maybe never will, but after reading ssdave's first post, the picture of the lined barrel that let go shown in the pressure section of P.O. Ackley's Volume 1 book came to mind. 

For what it's worth, Ackley mentioned that the lined barrel failed with a normal load. 

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
He is a gunsmith and thinks the liner failed which caused the barrel to fail being a mild steel barrel.
If that was the case then I would presume that there was no sleeve put in the chamber around the liner to provide extra strength on ignition

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Send TopicPrint