Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory (Read 42218 times)
SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory
Jan 17th, 2011 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
Hello, I am a new member and this is my first post. Today I walked into my gun shop and walked out with a Stevens 414 Armory Target rifle. I had no previous knowledge of the rifle. It was love at first sight. She is a little rough, but with a little tlc, I plan on transforming her into a fine squirrel sniping single shot. This one really has me excited.

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Re: My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:53am
Print Post  
SquirrelStalker welcome to the the fun, these one shot at a time rifles seem to grow on you and take over your safe or should I say safes.  Wink 

The Stevens 414 is an excellent accurate rifle, although at my age it would be a sitting down under a tree Squirrel rifle, I have a very nice light weight Stevens Favorite that I walk with for such endeavors.

Let us see a photo of your rifle as is, and when you get into your version of a fine squirrel sniping single shot finished, sounds like a fine project.

MIKE-T

IP Logged

azzhandler

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:56am
Print Post  
the 414's are nice guns, did you get the 22LR or the 22 short version?
if yours is chambered for the LR try some good standard velocity  target ammo in it,  it sure makes mine " perk " up.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks M-T, glad to be here. I should have some pics up in a little while. My gun is a.22 long rifle. The rear sight is not original but it will do for now. The front sight seems to be original but it is soldered on. I don't know if that is correct. I am undecided as far as wether I want a scope or a tang sight, or both, since the holes are there. The holes are there for the scope base blocks. The rear two holes are further apart then the front two. I don't know if that is normal. The modern Malcolm repro (6X 18' long) is one scope I am considering. Last night I cleaned the heck out of the barrel with a brush and Hoppes # 9. It looks good. The buttstock is the roughest part of the gun.It may need replacement if I can not fix it.Another thing that has me curious is the forend stock,which I have not taken off yet. It is lose, and the screws just turn when I try to tighten them.I will get into all of this stuff later. Right now I am going out to shoot her a little.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Here are some pics.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2011 at 8:31pm by »  

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Not bad SquirrelStalker, being in long rifle is a good thing, and I've cleaned up worse looking stocks than yours, it just took a lot of work and time and a couple required some small amounts epoxy to be solid again.

Since the bore cleaned up so well it should be shooter Smiley Smiley Smiley
MIKE-T

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
WOW.......... she's a shooter. I really, really like when this happens.I had a box of CCI CB Longs handy (29 grain) First round, twenty yards,on a rest, nice little hole , dead center of the bull's eye.Twenty more shots in a half inch. I just may drop a squirrel before the end of the day.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Hi SquirrelStalker!  I love that name!   Smiley  So you got Squirrels round your place huh?  Huh   

Thats a nice Armory 414. looks like good honest use and a bit of grime. Perfect.

I have a Squirrel dog, a Rat Terrier. Cant use him for the squirrels we have here. They're too big.   Sad

He's hell on rats and mice though. 

Joe.  Smiley

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

azzhandler

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
here is what a 414 will look like with a " tube scope " mounted on it,
the screw holes on the rear base should be wider then on the front,  but these are not original holes, so they could vary, depending on who mounted the bases.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Sweet......... I am looking at scopes on ebay. The Unyrtle and Lyman  scopes are up in price these days. There are other external adjustment scopes out there but I hate buying a scope that I can't hold and look through.What type of scope is that on your 414?

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Forgive me for jumping in here but!!!  If you want to use the rifle for squirrel, cut down on the weight. How, get your self a BKL mount and use the rear Unertl block.  You can mount any kind of scope you want at a reasonable price.

I have a unertl 20X on one of mine but sure don't carry it around looking for squirrel, over 10 lbs.  Roll Eyes

Don G
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2011 at 11:07am by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
If you can locate one , a Unertl 6X small game scope would be something to consider. I have one on a CPA in .22, great squirrel rifle.
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Here is a photo of a Unertl 6X small game scope on my CPA .22

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I like that GWarden. I really like the Unertl scopes on these rifles.Hey smoke, I get your point about weight, but it is not an issue with me.Most of my modern rimfire rifles sport bigger scopes and bipods. My style of squirrel hunting leans more toward post and snipe than stalking. I really like that butt stock with the raised comb and cheekpiece. Very nice rifle.The Leatherwood Malcolm repro scopes are nice as well.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
I would just like to thank everyone for the recommendations and advice.Also, the images of your rifles are a great help and I am enjoying them very much.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Nice rifle and great shooter's. I have a short and long rifle version and they are both keepers. I use TruOil and 0000 steel wool to clean up old stocks. Wipe it off immediately to avoid build up and a glossy finish. There two Lyman 438 field scopes on the buy and sell section here. I have a 438 on a 44 that works well and looks good on the gun.

IP Logged

SteveC

Reply #16 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Stalker, 
  Check with Steve Earle or Champion Shooters Supply for the scope blocks. Welcome to the madness!
                                Steve

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Hey Westerner, I would like to see a picture of your Rat Terrier. I have a Yorkshire Terrier. She is a big yorkie, almost nine pounds. The squirrels in my yard would rather bump into me rather than cross her path. She loves venison jerky and a good cup of coffee. This is no upper west side yorkie. People usually don't associate the small breeds with hunting.Seeing my yorkie drag a squirrel back to me after the kill is something to see.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
There is a nice 4x Unertl on ebay that I have on my watch list. I don't no, maybe it is me, but the Unertl  scopes seem to have really gone through the roof as far as price.

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
those leatherwood scopes are a very good buy. the scopes themselves are excellent and the mounts are functional enough for hunting without problems. if you get into competion where you  have to constantly change range adjustments you can alway purchase different mounts and use to same scope.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I really like the Leatherwoods.The prices are very reasonable as well. The 3X is listed at 259.00 over at Natchez. I am curious about the tube metal. I hope they are made out of steel, I think they are blued steel. I would like to age it a little so it looks like it belongs on my 414. That is of course if I leave the gun original.

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #21 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 10:55am
Print Post  
They are steel and a perfect fit for your rifle, once dialed in for your rifles preferred ammo you can lock down the adjustments and they stay put and they look good on the old single shots!
MIKE-T
Here is a 3X mounted on my 1885LW 22 K-Hornet.

Quote:
Yeah, I really like the Leatherwoods.The prices are very reasonable as well. The 3X is listed at 259.00 over at Natchez. I am curious about the tube metal. I hope they are made out of steel, I think they are blued steel. I would like to age it a little so it looks like it belongs on my 414. That is of course if I leave the gun original.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Hey MikeT, nice low wall. The length is an issue. I might need that extra one inch and go with the 6x model at 18". My rifle is tapped very close to the barrel band on the front mount. Also, the rear mount holes are are tapped about an 1/8 inch wider than the front. The Leatherwood/ Malcolm blocks look like they are both the same. If I have to tap another hole, thats ok, as long as nothing shows. I am going to do some measuring today.

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #23 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
SqSt the scope has a lot of movement in the rings back and forth, the Malcolm does not slide in the rings like the Lyman's and Unertl scopes, so you move it where you want it for eye relief and lock the front band and that is where it stays! 
The bases do have the same distance between the holes front and rear!

MIKE-T

IP Logged

azzhandler

Reply #24 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
if the holes in your barrel dont match up with the bases,  STEVE EARL can make you just about anything you need,  He is a great guy to do business with, and very reasonable on prices

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Azzhandler

Are the one that was looking for LH stocks for a 414? If so send me an email.

Don G

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
I think I would drill another hole in the base or get another base before I would drill another hole in the barrel. Hard to undrill it. Easy to change bases.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the good advise. Making bases to match the holes on the gun is definitely the way to go.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Well, it has been a long time. I finally have my 414 with Unertl scope. She is a beauty. I will try to post some pics.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Here she is...

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #30 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
These things are realy accurate as you are finding out. You have some options for a scope as you have been told here. I personaly like the period scopes on these but for hunting the choice is yours. Modern scopes have better optics but the period scopes will shoot more than well enough for squirels. Welcome to the forum. A 414 was one of my early Stevens purchases and I still have it. Had been totaly refinished but bore was great and it is also a great shooter. I have on in .22 Short and it is also accurate with target ammo.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
I am curious about the trigger. My 414 has a very heavy trigger , which is surprising considering it's age. It has a nice clean break, but it feels like five pounds.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
My long rifle version that has been re done has a very light triger pull. Think somone has workded on it. The short version is more like the normal Stevens triger. I would try a through cleaning and oiling and see if that helps.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Oh boy, I am having tough time sighting in the 414.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
What seems to be the problem?

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
She won't hold a consistent group. I'll get 1/12 to 2" at twenty five yards,then two or three in the same hole, and then a few more two inches apart, sometimes strings. I tried several different brands of ammo from subsonic to mini mags. When the gun warmed up, it was putting five round of mini mag into a dime size hole. But if I walk away from the gun for a while, she opens up again. I noticed a dark ring about two inches down the barrel that won't come out with a bore brush, there is some pitting in the barrel, and there is always unburned powder left in the barrel. At first I thought it must be a loose scope.But everything seems tight.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
What looks like unburned powder would seem to me to be just normal residue in a .22. You mentioned a heavy triger pull. That could be part of the problem. Shooting a group and walking away and coming back and getting a bad group makes me think something is loose somewhere. There are people here who know a lot more about this than I do. What do they think?

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
A friend has a 414 with a heavy trigger.  Some other guys we shoot with in a gallery league also shoot 414s. Last week, we spent an afternoon yakking about 414 rifles & trigger pulls.

Some of their 414s have ordinary flat springs like the regular Stevens 44 series.  Others have slightly heavier flat springs that may or may not be original.  And others have been converted to coil springs very much like a 417.  Converting to a coil spring might (or might not) require a new hammer.

The consensus of our yakking is that the spring setups seem to be interchangeable and that switching around may give you a trigger pull more to your liking.

The consensus was that Wisner's and whatever Numerich is called these days will probably have the parts you need for substituting mainsprings, but you probably will not be able to get all the parts you need from just one source.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
I once had a gunsmith mount scope blocks for me.  Got the rifle back and had the same sort of inconsistent group problems.   

Take a close look at the scope blocks.  Are they loose?  Check the screws that hold the scope blocks.  Turned out with my rifle that the screws used to attach the blocks to the barrel were a smidge too long.  Substituting shorter screws solved that problem.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
A lot of barrels are sensitive to different types of 22 rimfire ammo and there is a lot of 22 rimfire ammo available that is not terribly accurate.  

If I had that rifle, I would first find some tight fitting soft cotton patches, fit one to a good rod with a good jag and push it slowly down the barrel.  Feel for rough or loose spots. Inspect the patches. If the patches have have particles of lead on them, use more patches.  If everything felt tight and uniform, I would be happy, but regardless of the results I would then range test it.

My test would use one of the common brands of mid-price standard velocity target ammo, one with lead bullets and a good bit of lube.  Get at least 4 or 5 boxes, same brand & hopefully the same lot numbers.  

Then get a bunch of gallery targets, at least 10 of them.  The ASSRA or WSU types have 6 bulls per target, the NRA types have 11.  Number the targets.  Put them up at 25 yards.  If you shoot outdoors, pick a nice day.

Put the rifle on a good rest or on sandbags.  Get comfortable and get sighted in.  Eliminate as many variables & distractions as possible.  

Then shoot the same number of shots (somewhere between 2 and 5 shots) at each bull and shoot for score.  Shoot each bull on each target in the same order.  With each bull you shoot, try and equal or better your previous score. 

The guys who are serious paper punchers with 22 rimfires do not clean their rifle barrels very often.  Somewhere between your 25th & 50th shot, your scores should improve.  The paper punchers will tell you that happens when the lube is uniformly coating your rifle's bore. Keep shooting until you have shot at least 100 shots for score.  200 shots would be better. Take notes. Call your shots.  Keep track of your scores.

The 414 was intended to show good results in such a test. If you use thee NRA targets, good ammo should stay in the 9 ring, or inside the 23 ring with the ASSRA target for most shots.  That gives a basis for comparing ammo types.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2013 at 2:05pm by waterman »  

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I thank everyone for the response. I see that the focus is on the trigger and the possibility of something being loose. I will double check all the screws on the bases and rings again. Now, as far as the internal barrel issues, it seems you guys don't think that is a factor here.I keep looking down that barrel because the black ring just will not go away with cleaning.I will say this, aside from the minor pitting and that black ring, the rest of the bore seems pretty decent. Today I am going to shoot another group after I check all the screws. I'll post a pic of the target. Over the weekend, per waterman's advice, I will do a more detailed test. As far as the powder in the barrel, I'm not talking a few specs. After ten shots,the cleaning patches were coming out black. That was with the last stuff I tried, Remington CBEE long rifle ammo(740 fps 33 grn) which I use for my backyard sniping duty.

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #41 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
For what it's worth ..............  my 414 tests well with the Lapua line.  From Standard Rifle to Rifle Match to Center X to Midas +, it groups tighter each step of the way.  All 40Gr. std velocity.  Virtually no fouling. I start with a clean barrel - run A DRY patch through (no more than two) after 50 - 100 rnds. - no solvent needed. After 250 - 500 or so rounds - Maybe a light cleaning with Butches or similar - patches & maybe a nylon bristle (not bronze/brass) brush - light oil - dry patch.  Good to go again. It'll probably take the better part of another box to get re settled in with lube coating. I like to test with 15 - 2 round groups followed by 4 - 5 round groups. I wouldn't use any high or hyper velocity stuff and I, personally, have had no good results with sub-sonic. Other shooters have said the sub sonic is good. Testing at 50 yds. is fine, but I prefer at 100. Barrels, shooters, conditions, ammo lots all differ. Just have fun. I LOVE my 414.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I am going to make a comment that will probably raise some eyebrows!  I have been shooting for the last 74 years except for the last 3 or four with a bunch of various .22 rifles, Win 52, Win Mirouka 52, CZ 452 Varmint, BRNO # 1, Anschutz 52 and 64, Stevens 414's, Walnut Hill, Win Low Wall, Remington # 4, Rem # 2, Win Low Wall and etc. I have had absolutely no problem shooting Walmart or similar Federal, Remington or same in bulk and maxing "Black Death" targets at 25 yards. Even did it at 50 yards with a Win 52.  That's putting 5 shots in a dime area, non touching the outer ring.  I don't understand all the "Hype" with shooting all these exotic brands of ammo.  I did buy a couple of cases of Wolf MT and some Golden Eagle once and got super results with both but not really any better than Federal Lighting from Walmart.  I really like all the discussion regarding how well the expensive stuff does, but I am not convinced it's worth the price.

Don G

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
The funny thing about my ammo testing is no matter what I have put through the 414, she does ok. I have used the following ammo that I had in my cabinet. Remington target, RWS target, RWS subsonic, CCI standard,and CCI mini mag copper. The mini mags gave the best performance.That is not what I want to shoot out of the 414. I want a standard velocity load. I bought the Remy target loads on sale and it was a great deal for the 500 rd box. The funny thing is, when I first shot the rifle, before the scope was mounted, she shot great with the CCI CB longs.

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #44 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
I mean no disrespect; however, I'm not really impressed with results at 25 yds - or even 50. Show me an ASSRA rim fire bench Match at those ranges and I'll be more receptive. 'til then, I'm on a quest to score in the 240's at 200 yds with my 414. Yeah ...............  I know  -  Good Luck! The fun is in trying.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Wow.... 200 yds. You have my profound respect. I am very happy to be here.I know I will gain very much from people that take what they do very seriously.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Here is the latest target. The first shot was a little off center, then the next four shots were the two strings, and then the last few were back in the group. This is basically the pattern.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
I need to explain this target more clearly. The center of the group was the first shot. then, the two lower hits, then the two upper outer shots, and the last three or four back where she started.

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #48 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 10:06am
Print Post  
OkeyMaple
I don't mean to be disrespectable either, but unless you can post a picture of 5 shots in a 1/2" target at 25 yds, don't be too critical.  Personally I think shooting a .22 for accuracy at 200 yds is playing in the "Twilight Zone". Remember in the "Black Death" game rear bags are not allowed, Bench rest rifles not allowed.

Don G

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 11:57am
Print Post  
What is the diameter of the red dot in the posted target?

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Don G, I think you are correct when you say that the 22s out of the bulk box will shoot accurately enough for several forms of competition at 25 yards.  Our Tuesday Afternoon Schuetzen group is in its 2nd year of weekly offhand matches, 50 shots at 25 of the WSU or ASSRA gallery bulls, 2 shots per bull.  A couple of our better shooters use the Walmart stuff and mostly break 1100 every week. That means that most of their shots go into a dime-sized circle, offhand.  But there are odd shots that sound strange and sometimes the bullets don't quite go where the shooter called the shot and there are a few misfires every week.  The target-grade stuff provides both uniformity and confidence that does not come with the bulk ammo boxes.

SquirrelStalker is trying to evaluate a Stevens 414, a rifle that is normally quite accurate, and a Unertl scope, also normally an accurate scope.  Is the problem something loose?  Or is it a heavy trigger pull?  Or is it a ringed barrel? Or is it some of the variation that comes when you shoot some types of ammo from a barrel that has been scrubbed clean?

The suggestion to get target ammo & let the lube build up was directed towards eliminating as many variables as possible.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
The 22 Long Rifle was marketed by Peters and Stevens marketed the first rifles (Tipups?) about 1887 because the .22 Short did not do well at 200 yards.  The WSU holds the Bruce Garbe Memorial match, 50 shots from a 22 rimfire at 200 yards, in early June each year, as a part of their annual matches.  We Tuesday Afternoon shooters switch to 200 yards each May, so that we can compete in spirit.

In this year's Hudson match, 100 shots offhand at 200 yards, most of the competitors shot 22 Long Rifle rimfires.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jan 24th, 2013 at 11:57am:
What is the diameter of the red dot in the posted target?
The diameter of the dot is one inch.The target posted was shot with RWS subsonic ammo at 25 yds.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2013 at 5:13pm by »  

IP Logged

contrary_kid
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 1:57am
Print Post  
SquirrelStalker
Older 22LR rifles that I have owned that have been cleaned, and shot with enough quality target ammo to lube the barrel as others have correctly pointed out, and I get a few unexplained fliers, more times than not I have found a small burr in the muzzle crown. The older rifles sometimes get banged around. If I recrowned the barrel it took care of the fliers. I am very fond of my 414 in 22LR!

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Quote:
SquirrelStalker
Older 22LR rifles that I have owned that have been cleaned, and shot with enough quality target ammo to lube the barrel as others have correctly pointed out, and I get a few unexplained fliers, more times than not I have found a small burr in the muzzle crown. The older rifles sometimes get banged around. If I recrowned the barrel it took care of the fliers. I am very fond of my 414 in 22LR!
I am considering  recrowning the gun. I'm also taking in all the advice I've been given here on the forum. My passion in the shooting sports is, and always has been, small game hunting. I have dropped many deer over the years. But I am profoundly obsessed with small game hunting. Most of my small game rifles are .22,17M2, and springer air rifles. All my rimfire guns are modern bolt action and sport quality  glass, with the exception of my two Anschutz rifles that were made in the 1960's. Some guns like hot ammo and others perform well with standard or subsonic. My comfort zone is out to seventy five yards.Fifty yard max on the subsonic guns, and twenty five yards on the air rifles. It works for me and there is a lot of squirrel meat in my freezer. So, with the 414, my goal is to get her to punch holes into a 1/2 inch circle out to seventy five yards with standard velocity ammo. With my 414, I'm into a new realm previously unexplored. A ninety year old gun with a sixty year old scope, and a barrel that leaves much to be desired. The question I keep asking myself is how far do I go. If I get the trigger down to two pounds, confirm the scope is fine, recrown the muzzle, and she still all over the target, then I will consider other options. Maybe having a liner installed in the barrel.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2013 at 1:15pm by »  

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Today I tested the gun with the forearm removed. No change. There is one thing I am noticing that is consistent. When the shots spread apart it is always two or three in one spot, then she'll move a half inch to an inch and put two or three in that spot.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
You mention that the barrel leaves much to be desired. If the barrel was shot I would tend to think you would be getting patterns that were more shotlike. Still thinking something loose. Have you tried it using iron sights to eleminate scope problems?

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 12:11am
Print Post  
I did just that today. The Unertl came off. Five shots. The first three touched each other. The last two hit an inch to the right. Again, same pattern. If the barrel was shot out, it could not put three bullets in the same hole, right?

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
That would be my conclusion.  There are a lot more knowledgeable people here. Curious as to what they think.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
A few pics of the breech and muzzle.

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2013 at 2:17pm by »  

IP Logged

nobearsyet
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 11:15am
Print Post  
that could very well be your problem.  If I had a higher magnification picture to look at I'd almost say that looks like a reline, but I'm not a Stevens guy so I'm not real sure

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
The 414 is back with my gunsmith. She is getting a new crown and some professional barrel treatment. What I thought might be throat erosion just may be something else. My smith thinks the ring we are seeing may be from moisture , eventually turning into rust.He said that he has seen this before in very old rifles that sat unused for long periods of time, that had an insect nest in the barrel. He is an old timer and I respect his opinion. He is also going to lighten up that trigger

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Well, almost there. My 414 made me very happy this weekend. On Friday I headed up to the mountains to pick up the 414 from the gunsmith and head out to my property to try her out. My smith put a new crown on the muzzle, did a bore compound treatment, and polished a few things on the trigger components. The bore job came out really nice. It cleaned out the dark ring and the lands and grooves seem to have a fresh sharpness to them. The trigger is still at about four pounds so more will have to be done there. I am trying for three pounds.I picked up a brick of CCI target loads at 40 grn 1050 fps for this test. By the time I was ready to head out with rifle in hand it was fifteen degrees with a wind chill of zero and it was windy but there were breaks with the wind. Out I went.I went through three boxes of ammo. The first twenty shots were one to two inches apart then the groups started to get smaller. I decided to go in and take a break to clean the barrel. Back out I went. The winds calmed down and the last twenty shots went into a half inch . This was at twenty five yards with the rifle in a lead sled. I am very excited and happy. I would like to thank Mr. Winston Smith for all the help and advise, as well as everyone here on the forum for for all the advice.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2013 at 9:21am by »  

IP Logged

winston smith
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
I'm happy to hear your persistence is paying off.  Didn't need to reline that barrel after all.  Smiley
20 shots into 1/2" while laying in the snow sounds pretty good to me.  The group, not the snow.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
SquirrelStalker,
Please be aware that not all Squirrels are the same. Here is one that is not often seen and even less often photographed, The Sabre-tooth or Vampire Squirrel. Be carefull out there.

Harry  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks Harry. I am well advised. A little humor in the mix is always a good thing. Actually, that picture could come in handy. I recently asked my taxidermy man if he could make me a crazy attack squirrel mount with open mouth. He asked if I have been sniffing too much Hoppe's lately. Then he said "I'll do it". Stay tuned.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks Harry. I am well advised. A little humor in the mix is always a good thing. Actually, that picture could come in handy. I recently asked my taxidermy man if he could make me a crazy attack squirrel mount with open mouth. He asked if I have been sniffing too much Hoppe's lately. Then he said "I'll do it". Stay tuned.

SquirrelStalker,

Please feel free to pass the picture on to your taxidermist. I'd love to see one of these mounted. No! Not that way. lol.

It would be a good item to impress hunters who have never met one. Photoshop can work wonders at times.

Harry

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
A picture of the new crown and the nice group.

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #68 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
BINGO !

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #69 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
     I noticed the "crown" in the earlier pic as a red flag.  In fact, I was surprised it could shoot that well with a divot next to the bore.  Then I noticed you are still shooting at 25 yards.  If that was mine,  I would set my sights for the distance I wanted, then practice and test at at least 100 yds.  I also think you are cleaning too often.  These rifles were built for sitting, kneeling and prone competition, multiple shots.  If you clean it too much, you won't get to the "sweet spot" of the lube.  When some of these guys "clean", they just brush out the remaining powder dust.  These barrels are of a soft steel, easy doesit on the cleaning.   Cheesy

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
I plan on working with the gun out to seventy five yards eventually. Once I get the trigger down to two pounds.  On the barrel cleaning. I am a clean barrel guy. Always have been. Always will be. The picture of the group I posted is ten shots out of a clean barrel. I don't see where running a few patches with Hoppes down a barrel can hurt it. Those patches come out black. That being said, I respect anyone  who chooses not to clean so frequently if the gun shoots well and has the sweet spot. I think the sweet spot, not so clean theory ,applies more to target shooters. I am a hunter. When I get up at four in morning and grab my gun from the cabinet, I want it to put that bullet where I want it to go.Just like it did when I zeroed it. So I work hard to find the ammo that the gun likes to shoot when she is clean and cold. My gunsmith made some money working on that 414 barrel. My money. So she is getting cleaned and oiled every time I use her.

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #71 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Ah!  My mistake.  When I read "cleaning", immediate visions of brass or stainless brushes working the bore came to mind.  What you are doing shouldn't hurt it at all, if you don't send the dirty patches out through the muzzle.  You wouldn't believe the amount of metal grinding primer remains and bullet metal that comes out of those patches.  I didn't believe it either until a guy showed me on filter paper the residue he released from a patch with carb cleaner.   Cry

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint