Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory (Read 42221 times)
SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Re: My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory
Reply #45 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Wow.... 200 yds. You have my profound respect. I am very happy to be here.I know I will gain very much from people that take what they do very seriously.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Here is the latest target. The first shot was a little off center, then the next four shots were the two strings, and then the last few were back in the group. This is basically the pattern.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
I need to explain this target more clearly. The center of the group was the first shot. then, the two lower hits, then the two upper outer shots, and the last three or four back where she started.

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #48 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 10:06am
Print Post  
OkeyMaple
I don't mean to be disrespectable either, but unless you can post a picture of 5 shots in a 1/2" target at 25 yds, don't be too critical.  Personally I think shooting a .22 for accuracy at 200 yds is playing in the "Twilight Zone". Remember in the "Black Death" game rear bags are not allowed, Bench rest rifles not allowed.

Don G

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 11:57am
Print Post  
What is the diameter of the red dot in the posted target?

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Don G, I think you are correct when you say that the 22s out of the bulk box will shoot accurately enough for several forms of competition at 25 yards.  Our Tuesday Afternoon Schuetzen group is in its 2nd year of weekly offhand matches, 50 shots at 25 of the WSU or ASSRA gallery bulls, 2 shots per bull.  A couple of our better shooters use the Walmart stuff and mostly break 1100 every week. That means that most of their shots go into a dime-sized circle, offhand.  But there are odd shots that sound strange and sometimes the bullets don't quite go where the shooter called the shot and there are a few misfires every week.  The target-grade stuff provides both uniformity and confidence that does not come with the bulk ammo boxes.

SquirrelStalker is trying to evaluate a Stevens 414, a rifle that is normally quite accurate, and a Unertl scope, also normally an accurate scope.  Is the problem something loose?  Or is it a heavy trigger pull?  Or is it a ringed barrel? Or is it some of the variation that comes when you shoot some types of ammo from a barrel that has been scrubbed clean?

The suggestion to get target ammo & let the lube build up was directed towards eliminating as many variables as possible.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
The 22 Long Rifle was marketed by Peters and Stevens marketed the first rifles (Tipups?) about 1887 because the .22 Short did not do well at 200 yards.  The WSU holds the Bruce Garbe Memorial match, 50 shots from a 22 rimfire at 200 yards, in early June each year, as a part of their annual matches.  We Tuesday Afternoon shooters switch to 200 yards each May, so that we can compete in spirit.

In this year's Hudson match, 100 shots offhand at 200 yards, most of the competitors shot 22 Long Rifle rimfires.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Jan 24th, 2013 at 11:57am:
What is the diameter of the red dot in the posted target?
The diameter of the dot is one inch.The target posted was shot with RWS subsonic ammo at 25 yds.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2013 at 5:13pm by »  

IP Logged

contrary_kid
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 1:57am
Print Post  
SquirrelStalker
Older 22LR rifles that I have owned that have been cleaned, and shot with enough quality target ammo to lube the barrel as others have correctly pointed out, and I get a few unexplained fliers, more times than not I have found a small burr in the muzzle crown. The older rifles sometimes get banged around. If I recrowned the barrel it took care of the fliers. I am very fond of my 414 in 22LR!

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Quote:
SquirrelStalker
Older 22LR rifles that I have owned that have been cleaned, and shot with enough quality target ammo to lube the barrel as others have correctly pointed out, and I get a few unexplained fliers, more times than not I have found a small burr in the muzzle crown. The older rifles sometimes get banged around. If I recrowned the barrel it took care of the fliers. I am very fond of my 414 in 22LR!
I am considering  recrowning the gun. I'm also taking in all the advice I've been given here on the forum. My passion in the shooting sports is, and always has been, small game hunting. I have dropped many deer over the years. But I am profoundly obsessed with small game hunting. Most of my small game rifles are .22,17M2, and springer air rifles. All my rimfire guns are modern bolt action and sport quality  glass, with the exception of my two Anschutz rifles that were made in the 1960's. Some guns like hot ammo and others perform well with standard or subsonic. My comfort zone is out to seventy five yards.Fifty yard max on the subsonic guns, and twenty five yards on the air rifles. It works for me and there is a lot of squirrel meat in my freezer. So, with the 414, my goal is to get her to punch holes into a 1/2 inch circle out to seventy five yards with standard velocity ammo. With my 414, I'm into a new realm previously unexplored. A ninety year old gun with a sixty year old scope, and a barrel that leaves much to be desired. The question I keep asking myself is how far do I go. If I get the trigger down to two pounds, confirm the scope is fine, recrown the muzzle, and she still all over the target, then I will consider other options. Maybe having a liner installed in the barrel.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2013 at 1:15pm by »  

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Today I tested the gun with the forearm removed. No change. There is one thing I am noticing that is consistent. When the shots spread apart it is always two or three in one spot, then she'll move a half inch to an inch and put two or three in that spot.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Jan 26th, 2013 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
You mention that the barrel leaves much to be desired. If the barrel was shot I would tend to think you would be getting patterns that were more shotlike. Still thinking something loose. Have you tried it using iron sights to eleminate scope problems?

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 12:11am
Print Post  
I did just that today. The Unertl came off. Five shots. The first three touched each other. The last two hit an inch to the right. Again, same pattern. If the barrel was shot out, it could not put three bullets in the same hole, right?

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
That would be my conclusion.  There are a lot more knowledgeable people here. Curious as to what they think.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
A few pics of the breech and muzzle.

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2013 at 2:17pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint