Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory (Read 42216 times)
nobearsyet
Ex Member

Re: My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory
Reply #60 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 11:15am
Print Post  
that could very well be your problem.  If I had a higher magnification picture to look at I'd almost say that looks like a reline, but I'm not a Stevens guy so I'm not real sure

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
The 414 is back with my gunsmith. She is getting a new crown and some professional barrel treatment. What I thought might be throat erosion just may be something else. My smith thinks the ring we are seeing may be from moisture , eventually turning into rust.He said that he has seen this before in very old rifles that sat unused for long periods of time, that had an insect nest in the barrel. He is an old timer and I respect his opinion. He is also going to lighten up that trigger

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Feb 17th, 2013 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Well, almost there. My 414 made me very happy this weekend. On Friday I headed up to the mountains to pick up the 414 from the gunsmith and head out to my property to try her out. My smith put a new crown on the muzzle, did a bore compound treatment, and polished a few things on the trigger components. The bore job came out really nice. It cleaned out the dark ring and the lands and grooves seem to have a fresh sharpness to them. The trigger is still at about four pounds so more will have to be done there. I am trying for three pounds.I picked up a brick of CCI target loads at 40 grn 1050 fps for this test. By the time I was ready to head out with rifle in hand it was fifteen degrees with a wind chill of zero and it was windy but there were breaks with the wind. Out I went.I went through three boxes of ammo. The first twenty shots were one to two inches apart then the groups started to get smaller. I decided to go in and take a break to clean the barrel. Back out I went. The winds calmed down and the last twenty shots went into a half inch . This was at twenty five yards with the rifle in a lead sled. I am very excited and happy. I would like to thank Mr. Winston Smith for all the help and advise, as well as everyone here on the forum for for all the advice.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2013 at 9:21am by »  

IP Logged

winston smith
Ex Member

Reply #63 - Feb 18th, 2013 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
I'm happy to hear your persistence is paying off.  Didn't need to reline that barrel after all.  Smiley
20 shots into 1/2" while laying in the snow sounds pretty good to me.  The group, not the snow.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
SquirrelStalker,
Please be aware that not all Squirrels are the same. Here is one that is not often seen and even less often photographed, The Sabre-tooth or Vampire Squirrel. Be carefull out there.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Harry  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks Harry. I am well advised. A little humor in the mix is always a good thing. Actually, that picture could come in handy. I recently asked my taxidermy man if he could make me a crazy attack squirrel mount with open mouth. He asked if I have been sniffing too much Hoppe's lately. Then he said "I'll do it". Stay tuned.

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #66 - Feb 20th, 2013 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks Harry. I am well advised. A little humor in the mix is always a good thing. Actually, that picture could come in handy. I recently asked my taxidermy man if he could make me a crazy attack squirrel mount with open mouth. He asked if I have been sniffing too much Hoppe's lately. Then he said "I'll do it". Stay tuned.

SquirrelStalker,

Please feel free to pass the picture on to your taxidermist. I'd love to see one of these mounted. No! Not that way. lol.

It would be a good item to impress hunters who have never met one. Photoshop can work wonders at times.

Harry

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
A picture of the new crown and the nice group.

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #68 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
BINGO !

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #69 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
     I noticed the "crown" in the earlier pic as a red flag.  In fact, I was surprised it could shoot that well with a divot next to the bore.  Then I noticed you are still shooting at 25 yards.  If that was mine,  I would set my sights for the distance I wanted, then practice and test at at least 100 yds.  I also think you are cleaning too often.  These rifles were built for sitting, kneeling and prone competition, multiple shots.  If you clean it too much, you won't get to the "sweet spot" of the lube.  When some of these guys "clean", they just brush out the remaining powder dust.  These barrels are of a soft steel, easy doesit on the cleaning.   Cheesy

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
I plan on working with the gun out to seventy five yards eventually. Once I get the trigger down to two pounds.  On the barrel cleaning. I am a clean barrel guy. Always have been. Always will be. The picture of the group I posted is ten shots out of a clean barrel. I don't see where running a few patches with Hoppes down a barrel can hurt it. Those patches come out black. That being said, I respect anyone  who chooses not to clean so frequently if the gun shoots well and has the sweet spot. I think the sweet spot, not so clean theory ,applies more to target shooters. I am a hunter. When I get up at four in morning and grab my gun from the cabinet, I want it to put that bullet where I want it to go.Just like it did when I zeroed it. So I work hard to find the ammo that the gun likes to shoot when she is clean and cold. My gunsmith made some money working on that 414 barrel. My money. So she is getting cleaned and oiled every time I use her.

IP Logged

32 ballard xl

Stand on your hind legs,
and shoot like a man.

Reply #71 - Feb 22nd, 2013 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Ah!  My mistake.  When I read "cleaning", immediate visions of brass or stainless brushes working the bore came to mind.  What you are doing shouldn't hurt it at all, if you don't send the dirty patches out through the muzzle.  You wouldn't believe the amount of metal grinding primer remains and bullet metal that comes out of those patches.  I didn't believe it either until a guy showed me on filter paper the residue he released from a patch with carb cleaner.   Cry

Ballards are best!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint