Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory (Read 42219 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory
Reply #30 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
These things are realy accurate as you are finding out. You have some options for a scope as you have been told here. I personaly like the period scopes on these but for hunting the choice is yours. Modern scopes have better optics but the period scopes will shoot more than well enough for squirels. Welcome to the forum. A 414 was one of my early Stevens purchases and I still have it. Had been totaly refinished but bore was great and it is also a great shooter. I have on in .22 Short and it is also accurate with target ammo.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
I am curious about the trigger. My 414 has a very heavy trigger , which is surprising considering it's age. It has a nice clean break, but it feels like five pounds.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jan 8th, 2013 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
My long rifle version that has been re done has a very light triger pull. Think somone has workded on it. The short version is more like the normal Stevens triger. I would try a through cleaning and oiling and see if that helps.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Oh boy, I am having tough time sighting in the 414.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jan 20th, 2013 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
What seems to be the problem?

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
She won't hold a consistent group. I'll get 1/12 to 2" at twenty five yards,then two or three in the same hole, and then a few more two inches apart, sometimes strings. I tried several different brands of ammo from subsonic to mini mags. When the gun warmed up, it was putting five round of mini mag into a dime size hole. But if I walk away from the gun for a while, she opens up again. I noticed a dark ring about two inches down the barrel that won't come out with a bore brush, there is some pitting in the barrel, and there is always unburned powder left in the barrel. At first I thought it must be a loose scope.But everything seems tight.

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
What looks like unburned powder would seem to me to be just normal residue in a .22. You mentioned a heavy triger pull. That could be part of the problem. Shooting a group and walking away and coming back and getting a bad group makes me think something is loose somewhere. There are people here who know a lot more about this than I do. What do they think?

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
A friend has a 414 with a heavy trigger.  Some other guys we shoot with in a gallery league also shoot 414s. Last week, we spent an afternoon yakking about 414 rifles & trigger pulls.

Some of their 414s have ordinary flat springs like the regular Stevens 44 series.  Others have slightly heavier flat springs that may or may not be original.  And others have been converted to coil springs very much like a 417.  Converting to a coil spring might (or might not) require a new hammer.

The consensus of our yakking is that the spring setups seem to be interchangeable and that switching around may give you a trigger pull more to your liking.

The consensus was that Wisner's and whatever Numerich is called these days will probably have the parts you need for substituting mainsprings, but you probably will not be able to get all the parts you need from just one source.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
I once had a gunsmith mount scope blocks for me.  Got the rifle back and had the same sort of inconsistent group problems.   

Take a close look at the scope blocks.  Are they loose?  Check the screws that hold the scope blocks.  Turned out with my rifle that the screws used to attach the blocks to the barrel were a smidge too long.  Substituting shorter screws solved that problem.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
A lot of barrels are sensitive to different types of 22 rimfire ammo and there is a lot of 22 rimfire ammo available that is not terribly accurate.  

If I had that rifle, I would first find some tight fitting soft cotton patches, fit one to a good rod with a good jag and push it slowly down the barrel.  Feel for rough or loose spots. Inspect the patches. If the patches have have particles of lead on them, use more patches.  If everything felt tight and uniform, I would be happy, but regardless of the results I would then range test it.

My test would use one of the common brands of mid-price standard velocity target ammo, one with lead bullets and a good bit of lube.  Get at least 4 or 5 boxes, same brand & hopefully the same lot numbers.  

Then get a bunch of gallery targets, at least 10 of them.  The ASSRA or WSU types have 6 bulls per target, the NRA types have 11.  Number the targets.  Put them up at 25 yards.  If you shoot outdoors, pick a nice day.

Put the rifle on a good rest or on sandbags.  Get comfortable and get sighted in.  Eliminate as many variables & distractions as possible.  

Then shoot the same number of shots (somewhere between 2 and 5 shots) at each bull and shoot for score.  Shoot each bull on each target in the same order.  With each bull you shoot, try and equal or better your previous score. 

The guys who are serious paper punchers with 22 rimfires do not clean their rifle barrels very often.  Somewhere between your 25th & 50th shot, your scores should improve.  The paper punchers will tell you that happens when the lube is uniformly coating your rifle's bore. Keep shooting until you have shot at least 100 shots for score.  200 shots would be better. Take notes. Call your shots.  Keep track of your scores.

The 414 was intended to show good results in such a test. If you use thee NRA targets, good ammo should stay in the 9 ring, or inside the 23 ring with the ASSRA target for most shots.  That gives a basis for comparing ammo types.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2013 at 2:05pm by waterman »  

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I thank everyone for the response. I see that the focus is on the trigger and the possibility of something being loose. I will double check all the screws on the bases and rings again. Now, as far as the internal barrel issues, it seems you guys don't think that is a factor here.I keep looking down that barrel because the black ring just will not go away with cleaning.I will say this, aside from the minor pitting and that black ring, the rest of the bore seems pretty decent. Today I am going to shoot another group after I check all the screws. I'll post a pic of the target. Over the weekend, per waterman's advice, I will do a more detailed test. As far as the powder in the barrel, I'm not talking a few specs. After ten shots,the cleaning patches were coming out black. That was with the last stuff I tried, Remington CBEE long rifle ammo(740 fps 33 grn) which I use for my backyard sniping duty.

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #41 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
For what it's worth ..............  my 414 tests well with the Lapua line.  From Standard Rifle to Rifle Match to Center X to Midas +, it groups tighter each step of the way.  All 40Gr. std velocity.  Virtually no fouling. I start with a clean barrel - run A DRY patch through (no more than two) after 50 - 100 rnds. - no solvent needed. After 250 - 500 or so rounds - Maybe a light cleaning with Butches or similar - patches & maybe a nylon bristle (not bronze/brass) brush - light oil - dry patch.  Good to go again. It'll probably take the better part of another box to get re settled in with lube coating. I like to test with 15 - 2 round groups followed by 4 - 5 round groups. I wouldn't use any high or hyper velocity stuff and I, personally, have had no good results with sub-sonic. Other shooters have said the sub sonic is good. Testing at 50 yds. is fine, but I prefer at 100. Barrels, shooters, conditions, ammo lots all differ. Just have fun. I LOVE my 414.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
I am going to make a comment that will probably raise some eyebrows!  I have been shooting for the last 74 years except for the last 3 or four with a bunch of various .22 rifles, Win 52, Win Mirouka 52, CZ 452 Varmint, BRNO # 1, Anschutz 52 and 64, Stevens 414's, Walnut Hill, Win Low Wall, Remington # 4, Rem # 2, Win Low Wall and etc. I have had absolutely no problem shooting Walmart or similar Federal, Remington or same in bulk and maxing "Black Death" targets at 25 yards. Even did it at 50 yards with a Win 52.  That's putting 5 shots in a dime area, non touching the outer ring.  I don't understand all the "Hype" with shooting all these exotic brands of ammo.  I did buy a couple of cases of Wolf MT and some Golden Eagle once and got super results with both but not really any better than Federal Lighting from Walmart.  I really like all the discussion regarding how well the expensive stuff does, but I am not convinced it's worth the price.

Don G

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
The funny thing about my ammo testing is no matter what I have put through the 414, she does ok. I have used the following ammo that I had in my cabinet. Remington target, RWS target, RWS subsonic, CCI standard,and CCI mini mag copper. The mini mags gave the best performance.That is not what I want to shoot out of the 414. I want a standard velocity load. I bought the Remy target loads on sale and it was a great deal for the 500 rd box. The funny thing is, when I first shot the rifle, before the scope was mounted, she shot great with the CCI CB longs.

IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #44 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
I mean no disrespect; however, I'm not really impressed with results at 25 yds - or even 50. Show me an ASSRA rim fire bench Match at those ranges and I'll be more receptive. 'til then, I'm on a quest to score in the 240's at 200 yds with my 414. Yeah ...............  I know  -  Good Luck! The fun is in trying.

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint