Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory (Read 42217 times)
slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: My First Single Shot .22 The Stevens 414 Armory
Reply #15 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Nice rifle and great shooter's. I have a short and long rifle version and they are both keepers. I use TruOil and 0000 steel wool to clean up old stocks. Wipe it off immediately to avoid build up and a glossy finish. There two Lyman 438 field scopes on the buy and sell section here. I have a 438 on a 44 that works well and looks good on the gun.

IP Logged

SteveC

Reply #16 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Stalker, 
  Check with Steve Earle or Champion Shooters Supply for the scope blocks. Welcome to the madness!
                                Steve

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Hey Westerner, I would like to see a picture of your Rat Terrier. I have a Yorkshire Terrier. She is a big yorkie, almost nine pounds. The squirrels in my yard would rather bump into me rather than cross her path. She loves venison jerky and a good cup of coffee. This is no upper west side yorkie. People usually don't associate the small breeds with hunting.Seeing my yorkie drag a squirrel back to me after the kill is something to see.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2011 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
There is a nice 4x Unertl on ebay that I have on my watch list. I don't no, maybe it is me, but the Unertl  scopes seem to have really gone through the roof as far as price.

IP Logged

henpeckedmuch
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
those leatherwood scopes are a very good buy. the scopes themselves are excellent and the mounts are functional enough for hunting without problems. if you get into competion where you  have to constantly change range adjustments you can alway purchase different mounts and use to same scope.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I really like the Leatherwoods.The prices are very reasonable as well. The 3X is listed at 259.00 over at Natchez. I am curious about the tube metal. I hope they are made out of steel, I think they are blued steel. I would like to age it a little so it looks like it belongs on my 414. That is of course if I leave the gun original.

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #21 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 10:55am
Print Post  
They are steel and a perfect fit for your rifle, once dialed in for your rifles preferred ammo you can lock down the adjustments and they stay put and they look good on the old single shots!
MIKE-T
Here is a 3X mounted on my 1885LW 22 K-Hornet.

Quote:
Yeah, I really like the Leatherwoods.The prices are very reasonable as well. The 3X is listed at 259.00 over at Natchez. I am curious about the tube metal. I hope they are made out of steel, I think they are blued steel. I would like to age it a little so it looks like it belongs on my 414. That is of course if I leave the gun original.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Hey MikeT, nice low wall. The length is an issue. I might need that extra one inch and go with the 6x model at 18". My rifle is tapped very close to the barrel band on the front mount. Also, the rear mount holes are are tapped about an 1/8 inch wider than the front. The Leatherwood/ Malcolm blocks look like they are both the same. If I have to tap another hole, thats ok, as long as nothing shows. I am going to do some measuring today.

IP Logged

MIKE-T
Oldtimer

[SHOOTCAST>

Reply #23 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
SqSt the scope has a lot of movement in the rings back and forth, the Malcolm does not slide in the rings like the Lyman's and Unertl scopes, so you move it where you want it for eye relief and lock the front band and that is where it stays! 
The bases do have the same distance between the holes front and rear!

MIKE-T

IP Logged

azzhandler

Reply #24 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
if the holes in your barrel dont match up with the bases,  STEVE EARL can make you just about anything you need,  He is a great guy to do business with, and very reasonable on prices

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Azzhandler

Are the one that was looking for LH stocks for a 414? If so send me an email.

Don G

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
I think I would drill another hole in the base or get another base before I would drill another hole in the barrel. Hard to undrill it. Easy to change bases.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the good advise. Making bases to match the holes on the gun is definitely the way to go.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Well, it has been a long time. I finally have my 414 with Unertl scope. She is a beauty. I will try to post some pics.

IP Logged

SquirrelStalker
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jan 7th, 2013 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Here she is...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint