Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Schützen - Zimmerstutzen (Read 109601 times)
Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Schützen - Zimmerstutzen
Apr 22nd, 2010 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Everything you ever wanted to know about a German Schuetzen Rifle, but were afraid to ask;

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Bob

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Re: Schützen - Zimmerstutzen
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 1:53am
Print Post  
First time I have seen a reversable cheek piece. See the Verstellbare Backe.

Bob can you interpret the script for us.

IP Logged

Mike65

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Go to Google and put in Feuerbixler and then hit translate.

Mike

We are seldom as smart as we think nor as dumb as others believe.

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 11:52am
Print Post  
My high school German of 50 years ago lets me understand just enough that I really don't know what is being said....sorta.   Undecided

Dick

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Dave,

My German is far from perfect, so I'm not sure;

"Pictured here is a very beautiful "Büchel Original Master" made in 1939, with a special order adjustable (Tyrolean) cheek piece. This Schuetzen rifle has a five lever trigger and original color case hardening. Adjustable cheek pieces or adjustable hooks are not allowed in our current traditional schuetzen matches."

Bob

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Mine looks similar but the cheek piece is not adjustable.
Fred

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Apr 23rd, 2010 at 1:53am:
First time I have seen a reversable cheek piece. See the Verstellbare Backe.

Bob can you interpret the script for us.

Well Dave I searched till I'm frazzeled out. How do I find this " Verstellbare backe " reversed cheekplate rifle. I did a search also and it gave me a ton of hits. I just plain got tired of looking.  I'm thinking it's the rare over the shoulder backwards training stock.  Is it a Zimmer? 

Joe

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 4:13pm
Print Post  

Hello from Germany!

It's nice to see, how all the single shot rifle fans all over the world visits our original bavarian homepage for old german target rifles.

The "verstellbare Backe" you might find in the heading (left side) "Feuerstutzen" an then in chapter "Systeme & Verschlüsse".

The page "Systeme & Verschlüsse bei Feuerstutzen" opens in the center. Please scroll to the last item in the listed page. There you find the "Original Büchel Meister" with the very rare "Ajustable cheek".

Good luck and greetings from Munich/Bavaria

Biggi - so called "Mrs. feuerbixler"
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2010 at 4:19pm by feuerbixler »  

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Thanks Biggi. 

Found it, 
Daves "reversible" term is what had me in the dark. I dont see where its reversible but rather will utilize different shapes of cheekpletes.

I have five German rifles. Four have the Swiss buttstock which I prefer. My zimmerstutzen has the Tyrolian style. Lucky for me the Zimmer fits like a glove.

The " Feurbixler " site is fantastic!  My German/English dictionary is never very far away.  Wink 

Joe. 

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 4:46pm
Print Post  

Hello Joe!

Thanks for your plaudit about my homepage! We collect all know how we can get about the old german target rifles. For presenting them on my homepage. So the "old know how" from former times will not be lost.

I have two Feuerstutzen with tyrolian style and two Zimmerstutzen with tyrolian style. Because (like you told) they fit like a glove in my cheek! 

Do you have some shooting competitions for old german target rifles in US or do you collect only these fantastic old rifles?

Biggi

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the Forum, Biggi.   

The ASSRA and the ISSA ( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)) are both shooting as well as collecting organizations.  The ISSA championship matches in Raton, New Mexico, have had a special 200 yard offhand match just for European Schuetzen rifles for a few years, but both organizations allow their use in any match where the caliber and sights are appropriate.   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Hello David.

Our circle of Stutzen-friends (approx. 250 owners of feuerstutzen or zimmerstutzen) are mostly riflemen/riflewomen. But there are also a few collectors, who have very nice old rifles - and they present them on my homepage.

We have nearly every other week a free competition somewhere in Bavaria or in Austria. We have to drive a lot of kilometers/miles the weekend for being there everywhere. You might visit our photo gallery with a lot of photographs from these events! Click for heading "Termine & Veranstaltungen" and chapter "Fotogallery". Then you can see how we dressed for traditional shooting competitions. No, it is not the Munich Octoberfest...  Wink

And in september we have our Bavarian Championship for old target rifles (Feuerstutzen and Zimmerstutzen) in Munich. I'm looking already forward to this great event!

Biggi

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
The Historic Arms Meeting at Bisley (10 / 11 / 12 July) has 200yd off-hand Schutzen competitions. I have a small scope sight (ISKOP, Wetzler) which is made to fit on the tapered rib of the Buchel Meister and so I can compete in Iron and Optical sight classes. I have the open field target sight which also fits on the rib, but there is no separate class for these.
Fred

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 6:01pm
Print Post  

Hello Fred.

Ooooh, 200 yards are about 180 meters I think. Nice distance for shooting with an old Feuerstutzen. 

The longest range we have is about 150 meters (164 yards), but it is in Austria, in the mountains, and you have to shoot uphill...

By the way... we only shoot off-hand! Only old riflemen older than 70 years are allowed to sit down while shooting. But not all of them do so, the most prefer off-hand shooting. And if they sit down while shooting, the are in a separate scoring-class.

Do you score the circles in a historic competition or only the bull's eyes? If you score circles, how much circles has your target? And which diameter has the target and the bull's eye?

Biggi

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #14 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
This is a good one;

Bob

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #15 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Yes, this video is made last year at Innsbruck-Hötting, Austria. Next week, we will have again a free shooting competition there.

And this is Maishofen (Austria) last spring: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Biggi

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #16 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

I am delighted to see you joining in the conversation here.  You have so much to add on a subject that has tantalized many of us for many years!  Please know that you are as welcome "as flowers in Spring" as we say here in the South Eastern US.

I have a question about a zimmer that I would like to ask of you and your group, and that has to do with the parlor pistols.  I saw a little break top pistol at an auction, and it just seemed to follow me home.  It appears to be intended to shoot a round ball about the size of #6 shot (American sizing) using little or no powder and the ignition provided by a #10 or #11 percussion cap.  It is unmarked as to maker, but appears European since we never had that sort of thing here as far as I can determine.

Would you or one of your organization be interested in discussing this piece with me with the idea that maybe I can someday figure out how to shoot it safely?  Thanks in advance for any help you may provide and again welcome to the ASSRA forum!

Regards,
Charlie Shaeff
aka Green Frog

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Hello GreenFrog Charlie!

If I can help you in some facts, I'll try to do so. But I don't know everything and my english is not sooo good. But I'll try...  Smiley

If I've understood your writing (with support of my dictionary), so you want to know something about a "Salon Pistole" (parlor pistol) which you have never seen before. But you have it now at home?

So it would be the best, if you can post a photo of it. So I can have a look on it and perhaps I can find something equal in an old catalogue.

Hint: We are no organization, we are a circle of friends for old german target rifles. What we do is "honorary work" and the riflemen-guys call me "mother of traditional shooting"...  Wink 
...because I had two years ago the funny idea to create the feuerbixler-website.

Best regards from Munich (now in the middle of the night!)
Biggi

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #18 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick response, Biggi!  Yes I do have this little pistol at home, but am at a shoot right now about 300 km away from there, so will have to wait until Sunday afternoon (our time) to shoot a picture and post it.

Thanks for gently reminding me about my English... I tend to use a lot of idiomatic phrases as I post, but that is not at all polite to our guests who speak English as a second language.  If we had to depend on my very poor German, I would take all night just to send greetings, I fear!  I am very grateful to have a German speaker to make it possible for us to connect with the classic information from the old European hot spots of Schuetzencraft.  Cheesy

In one of your posts, you asked about the target we shot here, and I got excited about my question and forgot to answer.  Most of our shooting is done on a target series referred to as the "German Ring Target" which was standardized in its American version about 40-50 years ago and is printed under ASSRA control to insure that everyone associated with the association shoots under equal target conditions, at least.  If I remember correctly, they are available for 200, 100, 50 and 25 yards, simply scaled up or down in size as appropriate.  They have a white center ring valued at 25 points, then each ring out reduces in value by one point until you run out of paper, this value is 15 points on the full size paper.  Any hit on the paper but outside the scoring rings counts as 10 points.  The shooter puts 10 shots on the target usually, and extra hits are penalized by counting the lowest 10.  The Western edition of ASSRA, called ISSA, has a nearly identical target and scores it the same way, as does Wyoming Schuetzen Society and probably some others.

It seems from your statement that you have become a sort of "Mother Superior" to a bunch of shooting enthusiasts... bless you for your patience and willingness to serve such a function.  I'm out of letters now but will write more with the picture.

Froggie

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Hi Froggie!

Then we will proceed like you propose: post the picture on Sunday and then we go on with the examination.
Cheesy

Now I have to leave my computer for going to a small Zimmerstutzen shooting competition about 130km far from home. On Sunday I will be back.

Thanx for your detailed information about the used targets by ASSRA. It's interesting to see how the targets are different all over the world.

Have a nice weekend and always good bull's eye shots!

Biggi

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
A belated Welcome to this forum, Biggi.  We at the Redwood Gun Club and the associated Long Prairie Gun Club in far northwestern California have 6 or 8 Schuetzen matches a year, all offhand shooting and all using the ASSRA or Wyoming Schuetzen Union (WSU) target.  The WSU target differs only in the shade of red used on the colored portion.  We have 12 or 15 regular shooters and 6 or 7 of us use the old German rifles regularly.  We elderly shooters all shoot offhand, but sometimes we sit down between shots. Our oldest competitor is 82.  Our 200 yard matches are 30 shots.  We also shoot an all-day, 100-shot match in early October.

A few of us also have an informal practice each Friday at noon, weather permitting.  We shoot 22 rimfire Schuetzens at short range, 50 shots, with 2 shots at each of 25 targets.

Our range is 100 & 200 yards, but only about 200 yards from the sea.  Wind is often a problem.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
The Bisley Schutzen comps are all standing--but: they are shot as part of a group of 200yd competitions which include some Historic prone shoots. The target has the standard NRA (British) 300yd scoring areas for all the 200yd comps in the Historic Arms meeting and is not an authentic Schutzen Target with lots of scoring rings. I am the worlds most useless prone shooter and so I avoid it: I shoot the standing comps with the Schutzen rifle and also the black powder military cartridge rifle with my 71/84 Mauser. There are lots of other classes, but there are also lots of other competitions at lots of other distances going on all over Bisley Camp and you have to choose what you have time for. Last year, most of the prone rifle shoots (up to 600yds) in the Classic period (1891 to 1918) were won by the German Contingent who, for some reason, mostly shoot Lee-Enfields!
Fred

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #22 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Mike65 wrote on Apr 23rd, 2010 at 11:42am:
Go to Google and put in Feuerbixler and then hit translate.

Mike

Thanks Mike! Not perfect but gets the job done.  Now I'll never learn German!  Cry 

Joe. 

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #23 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Welcome Biggi,

It’s an honor for all of us to have you on our website! I know there are lots of questions we would like to ask you, and you probably have some questions of your own. It’s wonderful to watch your rifle matches in Austria, because long ago our schutzen matches were offhand only and were run much like yours. I notice from your videos that your shooters use fixed ammo (ammunition loaded with powder and bullet), do you make your ammo yourselves? Do you cast your own bullets? Do you ever seat your bullet into the throat of the barrel and then load the case and powder separately? Any information you can share with us will be much appreciated.

Bob

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Hello together!

First I have to thank the forum-writers, who gave me in the posts a lot of information to the ASSRA-targets with the circles and the different distances.
Perhaps it is possible to post some photos of your 200 yard target? (If I can get enough information about traditional shooting in US, I would create a new headline on my homepage with the facts of "Stutzen-Shooting in USA" or something like that...)  
Roll Eyes

If you have questions: ask me! I'll try to answer to all your questions.
Smiley

But I have also a question to your shooting-practise: How do you check the shot into the target by the long distance? Do you have a telescop? Do you have "scorer-boys" near the target (don't know what is "Zieler" in English) who display the hit in any way? You have mobile targets on wires, which you can move to the shooter?

About ammo: 

We have only the already at-home-prepared ammo (bullet and powder in the jacket). An other kind of shooting is "Vorderlader", where you put bullet, powder and the primer separately into the rifle. 

For preparing the cartridges at home, first you have to make a preparatory training and take a examination, if you are able to make it. Then you have to apply for a license at the responsible authority of your city. If you are "clean" (not a known murder or bank robber or drinker... *big*grin*), you can get a few months later your "Pulverschein" for buying the powder. And you have to pay about 200$ for the powder-license.

Then you buy all components for the reloading-machinery, the jackets, the bullets and all you need - then you can start! But you need a lot of practise, until you have found the best adequacy of powder and plugging.

So long, have a nice day!

Biggi

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2010 at 2:24pm by feuerbixler »  

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
I can only speak for the Redwood Gun Club.  No one is permitted to mark or score targets while we are shooting.  Everyone must be behind the shooters.  This is for safety.

We use spotting telescopes and can almost always see the holes made by bullets in the 7.5 or 8mm size or larger.  Most shooters have personal telescopes and check the target after each shot.  The red color in the target is a great help and it is much easier to see holes in the red target rather than the black.  Sometimes we shoot the 22 rimfire at 200 yards and then it is very difficult to see bullet holes unless conditions are just right.  We shoot 30 shots and then walk to collect our targets.  We bring back the targets and score them away from the shooting, in a shed we made so that you can get out of the rain.  If a shooter wants to check sight settings during or before a match, we have 2 iron gongs at the side of our targets.  A helper can see the hits on the gong and usually you can hear the hits, unless there is a lot of shooting.

Our rules call for lead-alloy bullets only, no jacketed bullets, with a minimum caliber of .25 or 6.35 mm.  Bullets can be loaded "fixed" into the cartridge case with powder and primer.  Or they can be "breech-seated", loaded into the rifle barrel ahead of the chamber.  If you do that, the cartridge is really a blank, with powder & primer, but without a bullet.  About 1/5 of our shooters use black powder.  The rest use smokeless.  We make ammunition at home because very few places sell cartridges for our old type rifles.  Loading ammunition at the range is permitted, but the range is very damp and windy.

Some of us use the old German-type rifles.  Some use the older American type of Schuetzen.  Some use other single shots, usually old military or hunting types.  Infrequently, someone brings a muzzleloading rifle.  They are a lot of work.

Our rules also say "no optical sights".  We use mostly American tang sights but some use the old German sights.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 6:20pm
Print Post  

Hello waterman!

Our shooting is always like this: one serial is 5 shots. Our target has 10 circles. So you can hit maximum 50 circles. Normally we shot 6 serials, this are 30 shots.

Our ranking depends on "best serial with five shot" and not the total 30 shots sum-up. So we have to change the target all five shots. On our 100meter/90yard ranges in Germany we have target holders on wires with an electric motor to pull in the targets for changing each five shots.

In Austria, there are those fantastic old historical ranges, where the "scorer-boy" is sitting under a safe-protection below the target. After the rifleman's shot, the scorer-boy checks the result and puts a special target signaling-disc into a board, so you can see what you hit. In the clubhouse behind the rifleman is sitting a "writer", who writes down onto your personally "scoring card" the hits you reached. So in Austria only the scoring-card is the valid voucher-document (called "Bolette") for your hits. You never see the target (telescopes are forbidden!) and you have to trust the scorer-boy what he shows with the signaling-disc.

You can see that on my homepage in headline "Wissenswertes" ("Worth knowing") in the chapter "Zieler-/Schreiber-Stände" ("scorer-writer-ranges"). There I explain the historical ranges, how it works.

In Bavaria, there are only two old scorer-writer-ranges left. All the other ranges are with wire to pull-in the target. In Austria there are still a lot of those historical ranges (about 10 or more I think).

Ääähhhmm, I hope you understand all this about the writer-scorer-ranges, what i try to explain...
Huh

Greetings from Bavaria
Biggi

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #27 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

I will try to answer some of your questions, and hopefully others will answer more of them, in 1900 schutzen matches here in the US were conducted very formally, much like your matches in Austria, all shooting was offhand, each shooter bought a “shooting card” which was scored by a Schutzenmeister, after each shot was fired the score was indicated by scorers in the target bunker, and the schutzenmeister wrote your score on your card. There were often very valuable prizes offered and a good shooter could make a fine living by shooting in matches, the old schutzen clubs were very prestigious with many members much like modern country clubs.

Today, our matches are much less formal; we shoot 22 rim fire at 100 yards and center fire at 200 yards. Each shooter has a spotting scope (telescope) to keep track of his or her score, and yes, some of our best shooters are women. There is a time limit to each match depending on the number of shots; matches are usually 20 shots, 50 shots or 100 shots, ten shots on each target. In the larger matches the schutzenmeister has everyone retrieve their neighbor’s targets; the targets are then taken to a “scoring room” where a team of scorers carefully score each target, and then the scores are posted for all to see. Shooters are not allowed to touch their targets until they have been scored; there is usually a protest period so that any questions regarding scoring can be resolved before the final score is posted.

Bob
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2010 at 8:26pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Hi Bob.

Yes, I see some of you know the old regulations of historical shooting. *great* Thanx for explication of the former and nowadays regulations in USA.

Also in Germany, the old 1900's schützen-clubs (for 8.15x46R center-fire) were only for the high society. The normal worker didn't have any possibility to go there. The working class rifle was only the zimmerstutzen. 

In our competitions nowadays, we shoot on the one hand with Feuerstutzen (only 8.15x46R with lead bullets) and on the other hand with Zimmerstutzen (4 millimeters). Normally there are only two women who shoot there with Feuerstutzen. In Zimmerstutzen-competition there are about 10 or 15 women. 

After competition, the organisation-committee with his scoring-experts get the targets (when shooting onto paperboard-targets) or the shooting cards (when shooting with a writer on old scorer-ranges) for calculating the final scores and the ranking. Sometimes we have also a protest period, but only in Germany, unusual in Austria...

Biggi

« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2010 at 5:11am by feuerbixler »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #29 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 5:23am
Print Post  
Great form Biggi!

I think this is a German shooter. I met him once in Golden Colorado in the 1980's. Then I saw him at the ASSRA match at Etna Green. He was shooting a very nice Miller rifle. Do you know him? I think maybe Bob knows his name. I cant remember.

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #30 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 6:18am
Print Post  

I don't know if I know him... cannot check his face on your photo... 
If he was already a traditional German shooter in the 1980's, then he might be still alive. Some folks of us were in USA in former years. But I am only until three years together with the traditional Feuerstutzen shooters.

Do you use always the telescope mounted on the rifle (on photo it seems like this) and a hand-support for the left hand?

We have only a peep sight ("Diopter"), in Germany the telescope is forbidden. In Austria they use it sometimes on a Feuerstutzen. But we say, this is not original and not traditional. We try to shoot like in the 1900's at the "German Bundesschiessen".

Biggi

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #31 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 9:25am
Print Post  
That old German, he's still around. I saw him a few years ago in the Eastern US, at a match. Someone will say his name.

We have iron sight competitions and scope competitions. We get to use both. The palm rest is very common for standing 

When I use my German rifles I use the fine bead front sight and the barrel sight together. No palm rest. 

When shooting the .22 I use a scope for benchrest matches and iron sights for standing. Most here use the scope for both.   

I just loaded some black powder practice ammo for my 32/40. I cleaned the shells, primed and dropped 36 grains of 3F. Then just drop the bullet on the powder. Very simple to load. Dont even use a wad.

Thats a great looking target Biggi! 

I wished we could drink beer while we shoot here. I think I'll drink beer anyway, why not?!  Cheesy

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #32 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Here is a serious shooter shooting the iron sight benchrest competition. 200 yards. He's using a real tack driver rifle,,, oh! Oh thats my rifle he's using ha ha ha. No wonder he did so good!

Many of our shooters are very serious competitors. Way to serious to drink beer while shooting 

Joe.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2010 at 9:55am by westerner »  

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 10:50am
Print Post  

Eyhhh, this guy doesn't seems to have fun while shooting! It's a hard, hard job: bearing the direction, shooting, watching, checking, sorting cartridges and writing down a statistic. Hahah... a hard and serious job...
Wink

Like in old tradition, I prefer a small glass of red wine before shooting. It calms down the nerves! Really! And the third glass is a perfect tranquilizer!
Grin

Biggi

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #34 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Joe (Westerner),

The fellow you indicated with the arrow is Reiner Odebrecht, who attends the ISSA (International Single Shot Association) Schuetzen Match in Raton every year, and yes he's from Germany.

Bob
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2010 at 11:01am by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #35 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 11:14am
Print Post  
No sorry, I don't know Reiner Odebrecht. He is not from Bavaria, I only know a lot of the Bavarian an Austrian Feuerstutzen-Schuetzen. And in Germany outside Bavaria, there are nearly zero traditional riflemen...

Biggi

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
I am enjoying this thread very much.   

After our 30-shot matches, we also shoot at an "honor target".  It does not have concentric circles.  Instead, it has some "traditional German-type" design, usually taken from a book about 1900s shooting in Germany & Austria. The design is grapes and leaves or flowers or just about anything.  All agree about some point near the middle of the target that is to be called the center.   

Then each shooter takes a $1 paper bill and write writes his or her (we have 2 women shooters) name on the bill.  All the bills go into a large jar.  The Schuetzenmeister draws one bill at a time from the jar and calls the name of a shooter.  The person called shoots one shot at the honor target.  All the other shooters watch through their telescopes and try to see the shot.  Then the Schuetzenmeister marks the shot on a copy or sketch of the target for all to see.  The process is repeated until everyone has their turn.  All the $1 bills go back into the jar.  The honor target is recovered.  Each shooter signs their bullet hole in the target.  The shooter who hit closest to the center point gets to take home the honor target and perhaps the money from the jar.

Our regular match is at 200 yards, but with the honor target, bullet holes are difficult to see.  So we place the honor target at 100 yards.  This makes it more difficult, because the rifle sights are set for 200 yards.  With Schuetzen cartridges (8.15x46R or 32-40, etc) sight settings that allow hits at 200 yards will hit very high at 100 yards.  So the shooter must aim at some point below the honor target.

Sometimes a shooter will bring a Mauser "wehermannsgewehr" in 8.15x46R to our matches.  Are those permitted?

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #37 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

We have a traditional German/Austrian match too. You and your friends would feel quite at home!

Bob

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #38 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 2:57pm
Print Post  

Bob, sympathically photo of original bavarian-austrian hand-posture and the good old peep sight... and free-hand! In this way, we like it!

Wink

waterman: Nice idea to shoot the honor target on half distance for better check the bullet wholes on it. *grin* Is it allowed to screw at the peep sight for 100 yards? Or you have to let the peep sight (or other optical sights) adjusted for the 200 yard distance?

Biggi

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
If you have modern sights, with clicks, you can adjust.  But with the old German sights that use a clock key for setting or with our traditional American sights that sometimes use nothing more than turning a drum and screwing a stem up or down, or perhaps have a vernier scale, changing the sight setting is much less precise.  You may or may not get the sight setting adjusted properly.   

It is only a one-shot match, and only for fun.  It is much simpler to just hold low.  An intelligent young woman won the honor target in the last match I attended.  She shot a BSA Martini International that she also uses for smallbore prone competition.  She knew the exact sight setting for 100 yards, adjusted properly and hit the center of the honor target, defeating her husband who had the next closest hit.   

If we permit the use of 22 rimfire rifles in the 200 yard match, we get a few more participants.  Purists will say that a Martini International is not a traditional rifle and that rimfires are not allowed.  But our shooting is just for fun, so why not?

Some shooters here use the palm rest, some of us balance the rifle on our fingers and others use their hands in individual methods.  I have been told that the German term for the palm rest translates as "the handle of the shovel that is used to remove manure from the barn".

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #40 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Sorry, no possibility for response, the ASSRA forum was down last evening...

Yes, I understand. Click-sight might be adjustable. With old sight and screwing is difficult without test-shots.

We have a complete "rules of procedure" for our traditional shooting competitions. And we normally use our rules also for price-shootings. But not each organizer of a shooting-society demands all topics of the rules, so that sometimes the participants can nearly do what they want. And we "hardliners" don't like this, if there are participants with sport clothing, without hat and with modern components on a traditional Feuerstutzen...

You can also observe a big variety of different hand-hold-methods in Germany and Austria. I would not be able to shoot with finger-balance. The palm rest is forbidden in Germany, but in Austria they use it. 

I've never heard about this German term about the palm rest. I've translated it for me, but it makes no sense for me. Perhaps I would say "It is the handle to throw it away!" 
Grin

Biggi

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #41 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Hi Biggi!

Dont try the palm rest, you'll get hooked for sure !  The German traditional rifles are light enough in the barrel one can use the fingers better than our barrel heavy American rifles. Most of my best target rifles weigh about 15 - 16 pounds. I would have a hard time trying to shoot a long match with the rifle resting on my fingers. Many of us shoot the 100 shot standing match. In the old days the Germans called the American " palm rest "  a manure fork. 

Now, I have German traditional rifles, a Bavarian hat with brush and pin. I do not have lederhosen. If I shoot with you in your matches, and drink wine, what clothes do I need? 

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #42 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 4:49am
Print Post  
Hi Joe!

I can imagine that a palm rest would be very comfortably, if you shoot at these traditional shooting ranges in Austria. There they have not so much plain lowlands because everywhere are hills and mountains. So they built since all times the shooting ranges steeply uphill. Because of this you have an unorthodox attitude while shooting. And then it might be more comfortable with palm rest... (view photo attached).

If you want to go to Bavaria for shooting, you need the hat and your traditional rifle without any modern or unusual components. The lederhose is not soooo important, a quite normal pair of black trousers and a wool jacket also works. But no jeans, sports clothes or military/camouflage wear! You can check the pics in our photo-gallery and you can compare with the content of your wardrobe. And a glass of wine (Austria) or beer (Bavaria) we'll find for you! 
Wink

Biggi
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2010 at 5:03am by feuerbixler »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #43 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 5:10am
Print Post  
Great pictures!

We have mountains here in the Western US too. Luckily we also have lots of land. 

Below is my son John shooting at Tommy Masons range in Spokane Washington. We must shoot uphill there. 

I have the clothes in case I come over. My daughter has been trying to get me to go to Baumholder for a visit. I tell her if she can get me a cheap seat on a military cargo plane I will go.

I dont know how I could get my rifle and ammo over there. 

Wine or beer is fine with me!  
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2010 at 5:18am by westerner »  

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #44 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 5:24am
Print Post  

Ooooh, a very comfortable seat in a military cargo plane... like a camping folding chair... *big*grin*
...then you should find a period, when we have some nice Stutzen-Shooting here!

Don't know how to import a rifle and ammo to Germany. They are very restrictive here with all about weapons. But we have a friend in USA, who visits twice a year Bavaria. We should ask him, he will be perhaps able to inform you.

Biggi

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #45 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Hi Biggi,

I have many questions about the bullets used for loading your own ammo at home.  Do you buy them?  Or do you cast them from a pot of molten lead & tin with a bullet mould?  And are they always "stop ring" bullets?

And do any of your shooters "breech-seat" their bullets and use a blank cartridge?

We have one shooter of Swiss descent who wears the traditional hat and respectable clothing, and a shooter of Italian descent who is usually well-dressed but with a very nice leather coat and fedora hat.  The rest of us look like older, fatter versions of Joe's son, with more layers of clothing because of the unpredictable weather at our range.  Some of us look like homeless beggars with guns.

Other shooters (at other ranges) dress in what must have been the American equivalent of the Bavarian upper class style of the 1900s.  They wear vests and coats and bowler hats.

Waterman

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #46 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Hi waterman!

You cannot buy ready loaded ammo for 8.15er rifles. Nobody fabricates it, because each rifle needs other loading parameters. And each cartridge-bearing/chamber (don't know correct expression, in German it's called "Patronen-Lager", where you put the loaded cartridge into the rifle for shooting) is different to the other. Some are longer, others are shorter. My loaded cartridges have a length of 59 millimeters, others need a length of 62 millimeters. Some riflemen like ammo without plugging, some like plugging with cotton batting, others prefer small balls rolled from toilet paper, others like cut circles from felt-material. And last but not least, each barrel likes another quantity of powder, depending on the used bullet-weight.

You are interested in manufacturing ammo at home? Okay, I try to explain how we proceed. I've already told, how difficult it is in Germany to get the certificate for buying powder. First the 2-day education/training for learning all the operations with the material and the security while working with explosive substances. Then the inspection by government/police, whether you are "clean" and no danger about your past life (as murderer or bank-robber *grin*).

Then you buy all loading tools for it, or borrow it from a friend. You buy the empty "virginal" cartridge cases, for preparing them directly for your cartridge-bearing. The crank at the "bottle neck" of the cartridge must fit into the cartridge-bearing. For that you need the "cartridge sizer". If you don't know the diameter of your barrel, you have to check for it. Perhaps you need .318/.321/.323 bullets. You can buy the bullets ready fabricated in 148 grain or 170 grain. Nearly nobody melt them self, because you need a lot of equipment and more lot of time.

Then you start making the ammo, step by step. Everybody has different methods and ways of handicraft. For a normal shooting day at a price-competition you should have about 100 cartridges with you.

More later!

Biggi
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2010 at 5:12pm by feuerbixler »  

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #47 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Hello...

...somebody asks me, what for heaven's sake means "feuerbixler".

I'll explain it:

The traditional Zimmerstutzen-Schuetzen in Bavaria call themselves "Zimmerbixler". This comes from "Zimmerstutzen" (the Zimmer-Rifle) and from "Bix". This "Bix" is Bavarian dialect and the idiom stands for the German word "Büchse" - and a "Büchse" is a "rifle".

When I created the first issue for my website in November 2007, I searched for a available domain-name. The word "zimmerbixler" was already sold out, so I created the artificial made-up word "feuerbixler". This word doesn't exists before - or it was very,very unusual. It is made from "Feuerstutzen" (Schuetzen-rifle / traditional fire-rifle) and "Büchse". 

In original Bavarian idiom you would pronounce it "feierbixler" (in English speech-pronounciation like "fire-biggs-ler"), but this nobody outside Bavaria or Tyrol/Austria would understand...

So I decided for "feuerbixler", what is nowadays something like a "trademark" for good information for traditional shooting.

Biggi

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #48 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 8:21pm
Print Post  

Hi waterman!

What means "breech-seat" in your question-text? I didn't find a translation for this. Please explain it for me, what you mean. And what are those stop-ring-bullets? 

Nice description about you and your schuetzen-friends. *big*grin* Homeless beggars with guns... hahahaaa *lofl*
Grin

Yes, I thought so, that the US-riflemen wear always a baseball cap and also military clothing. But don't be surprised: the Bavarian riflemen wear the traditional clothing mostly only for traditional shooting. For the common small-bore cal .22 shooting in the club they wear also quite normal clothing. Other regions of Germany don't know our old-fashioned or typical Bavarian clothing, they think that we are a little bit crazy. And pistol-shooter never wear traditional clothing, they wear jeans and sweatsuit. 

Yes, so it is! We are a marginal group. But we are proud of it!
Wink

Biggi

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #49 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

Since I don't have the pictures made of my zimmerpistole, I'll jump in and answer your breech seating question.  The bullet is pushed through the chamber (I think that is what you are referring to as the "cartridge/bearing/chamber") and into the throat of the barrel (the portion where the cartridge chamber blends into the bore) for a perfect seal and perfect alignment with the bore.  A case containing powder and primer, and perhaps one or more wads is then placed into the chamber.  Ususally there is about 1 mm space between the mouth of the cartridge case and the rear surface of the bullet.  This technique, referred to as breech seating because the bullet is seated from the breech and ahead of the case, is believed to give the most accurate results for our lead bullet shooting.  I hope my explanation makes sense, but if not, I'll try again!  Wink

Charlie the Frog

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #50 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Biggi, here's a link to the ISSA (International Single Shot Association) website photo gallery showing a rifle with the bullet and breech seater (one design of many!) in the relationship they would be in inside the barrel.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) you look carefully at the forward part of the seating tool, you can see a brass piece that actually does the pushing on the base of the bullet.  And here's another photo showing the tool in the rifle, with the handle ready to pull back, which will cause the plunger to push the bullet into the rifling.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #51 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Hi Biggi,

To breech-seat means to place the bullet into the rifled part of the bore ahead of the chamber.  The bullet is lightly engraved by the rifling and should be (in theory) exactly aligned with the rifle bore. Breech-seating is done with a special tool.  The tool can be simple if you have an action with strong forcing power (System Aydt, for example) or complicated if you have an action with little or no forcing power (Martini, for example).  In my Original Aydt, I simply use a plugged case (a fired case with a wooden dowel or stick that fills the space between the chamber and the start of the rifling).  I drop a lead bullet into the chamber and then insert the plugged case.  Then I pull the lever of the rifle up and the breech block of the Aydt pushes the plugged case forward into the chamber.  The bullet is pushed through the forcing cone and comes to rest in the rifling, with the base of the lead bullet completely sealing the bore.

Then I open the action. The extractor pulls the plugged case out so that I can remove it with my fingers.  Then I insert a case with a good primer and the charge of powder, but no bullet.  The mouth of the case is sealed with a card wad or something to keep the powder from spilling out. Lately, I have used thin slices of floral foam, the stuff florists use to make a fancy arrangement, to seal the mouth of the case.

Stop-Ring bullets are originally German.  Dimensions vary with the 8.15x46R case, but the inside diameter at the mouth of the case, where the bullet sits, is about 0.334" in my Martini, but the bore diameter is .308" and the groove diameter is .314".  There is a funnel or throat 0.445" long connecting the two.  In my Haenel Original Aydt, the diameter at the case mouth is 0.347", the bore diameter is 0.312 and the groove diameter is 0.317", tapering to 0.314".   The funnel between the case mouth and the start of the rifling is 0.312" long.   

More on next note.

waterman

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #52 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

A picture is worth a thousand words in German or English! This is a picture of a mechanical breech-seater made by Russ Weber in Colorado, this particular model is made to fit a Winchester action. #1 you carefully push your lubed bullet base first into the “cartridge case” part of the seater. #2 you then insert the seater and bullet into the action as you would a normal cartridge. #3 then you turn the seater so that lug locks into the action. #4 you pull back on the handle so that the bullet is then inserted into the barrel just ahead of the chamber. #5 you remove the seater and insert a cartridge loaded with powder and you’re ready to shoot. 

Bob

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
More about Stop-Ring bullets:

The early loading tools were simple.  The second tool simply seated the new primer.  Next, the shooter put in the powder.  The shooter may or may not have squeezed down the mouth of the case to hold the bullet a bit better.  The stop-ring bullet was then seated with the fingers.  The bullet had a smaller diameter section that fit inside the cartridge case. Usually about .316"  Then came a ring section of increased diameter, about .335".  This ring would cause the bullet to stop when it came to the mouth of the case.  That is where the name comes from.  The section in front of the stop ring was about .310" or .312".  The forward part of the bullet just guided the loaded cartridge into the front part of the transition cone.  The stop-ring section more or less filled the cone and kept the bullet somewhat aligned with the bore.

My understanding is that the German ammo companies sold packets of primers, and other packets of empty cartridge cases, still other packets of pre-measured powder charges in tiny tubes or envelopes, and a variety of stop-ring bullets.  The shooter bought whatever combination worked best for his rifle, assembled the ammo and went off to the range.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #54 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Traditional German ringed bullet. May be the RWS bullet.

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #55 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Topic "breech-seater"

Thanx to all writers for exact explanation and the illustration with the pics. Very interesting!!! I've never seen before here in Europe. And I cannot imagine, that it works with a "Martini-System" (Martini-Action), while there is that "slide-chute" for the cartridge into the chamber. You cannot fill it from back with that breech-seater. And a lot of riflemen have a Martini-Stutzen. It might work with an Aydt-System/Action or other rolling-block action. 

Isn't it less precise while assembling the cartridge like this? In contrast to the work you make at home with your perfect tools? And I think it lasts a long time between the shots to manufacture them with a breech-seater...

I can imagine for me, that it is in Germany forbidden to work at the range with "open powder". Seen by law, for the powder in the ready filled cartridge you need only a "Waffen-Besitz-Karte" (that's a Arm-Owner-Certificate) from the town-administration with the authorization for "buying/getting ammo" . If you have "open powder" like in those old pre-measured powder charges in envelopes, you need the certificate for buying and working with powder (Powder-Certificate / Pulver-Schein). 

In former times (until Second World War), the riflemen filled their cartridges at the "Ladsaal" ("loading hall") of the upper class society's building, near the ranges. They had their small equipment with them, to manufacture their 20 or 30 shots for a shooting-Sunday at the shooting-society. Nowadays no more imaginable, because of the law and less time for shooting by much more shots you want to make...

But I'll ask some folks at weekend while shooting in Austria, who know a bit more about refilling the cartridges in former times.

Biggi

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Breech-seating:  There was a different type of tool for breech seating bullets in a Martini.  Would someone please post a pic of the old Ideal bullet seater that you hit with your hand?  The breech seater in Bob's photo works with rifles like the Winchester or Sharps because they have breech blocks that rise vertically.   

Bullets:  Biggi, how do you purchase bullets for the 8.15?  Do you have a large selection? Or are there just the 2 different weights?  And who makes the bullets? Could you post pics of the currently available bullets, like the pics Joe posted of the RWS bullet? Does anyone sell the German bullets in the US?

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #57 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Here is a Ideal style breech seater. This one I made for myself. The original Ideals were painted black I believe, not sure.  Huh  This tool can be used with the Martini style rifles as Waterman points out.

If ones bullet fits the bore of a rifle and is the correct temper there is no need to hit the tool with the hand.  But since we and machines are never perfect we see shooters hitting the tool with the hand and even a mallet.  Shocked

Not so much these days do to the well made mechanical seaters being offered.  Smiley

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #58 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Biggi, 

My impression is that your modern day safety rules/laws do not allow you to load your rifles in the old traditional way. 

If we people and our machines are not perfect, our goverments and law makers are very very far from perfect.  Angry

Dont get me started!!  Cheesy Grin

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #59 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Hello!

Yes, our modern law after some gun rampage at school in the last years in Germany, the possibilities for sport-riflemen/women are very restrictive. I think, you cannot imagine in US (the country with free-arm-ownership) what we have for difficulties with it. There are a lot of political parties, who want to ban the sporting arms completely. And I think, the difficulties by law are the barrier, to spoil the party...
Undecided

The lawyers guidelines for reloading at home are like this, that you are not allowed to load in a room, where you sleep, live or work. It has to be a separate room like a hobby cellar. There must be a plain floor cover, no carpet. You have to store your powder in the plastic bottle in a wooden box (lockable), built without metal-elements, no screws - in eventuality of explosion, that there are no metal parts flying around. You get only a prescribed lot of powder per year. If you need more than 1 Kilogramm per year, you have to submit a request to the authority. And so on. Yada-yada-yada!

You see, it is not really funny...
Angry

...but we can live with it. It would be nowadays horrible, if everybody could buy so much powder like he wants to make nonsense with it.

Biggi

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #60 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 4:48pm
Print Post  

Topic: Available bullets 8.15x46 in Germany

The situation is like follows: in the cold light of a day we have have only one manufacturer for the bullets. This is Haendler & Natermann in northern part of Germany. They fabricate the lead-bullets in the sizes .318/.321/.323 and all the three sizes in weight of 148grain and 170grain. You can get them in pure lead (greased with the rings) or with a very fine coat of copper (metalized) called "high speed". Normally you can buy them in each re-loader-shop...

...normally...

...but two years ago, the manufacturer gets a new owner and he wants to make the big deals with other bullet-products. The community of traditional shooters is too small, so they fabricate now for the US-market large shipment for special airgun-balls and other things for greater communities. 

If you need now some bullets for your .318-rifle, you have to order 10.000 bullets, then they will produce it special for you. So we organized in February a "omnibus order" via our feuerbixler-website. So we got a lot of orders from the folks to buy the required quantity centralized. That was the only way...

There is another, very small manufacturer in Germany, who produces also 8.15-bullets. He is called "Rifle bullet caster" and wants to get more market share. But some guys told me, that the quality is sometimes poor and the bullets are too different one below the other. So you have a lot of waste and non-precise ammo.

I've to make some pics next week, because the weekend I am out for shooting in Innsbruck/Austria...

Biggi

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #61 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Dont forget your camera!!  If you are to stay in good standing on this forum you must share pictures!  Wink

Joe.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #62 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
I've my camera always with me...
Smiley

...and I think, at the moment my standing in the forum is not sooo bad!
Wink

Biggi  Grin

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #63 - May 1st, 2010 at 1:51am
Print Post  
feuerbixler wrote on Apr 30th, 2010 at 5:49pm:
I've my camera always with me...
Smiley

...and I think, at the moment my standing in the forum is not sooo bad!
Wink

Biggi  Grin

You are a big hit. Your English translation is far better than Google.   

Maybe Biggi should make another video too ??   Roll Eyes 

I want to see a close up of the stickers on the shooters stocks. 

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #64 - May 1st, 2010 at 4:36pm
Print Post  

Topic "breech-seater"

Today I was in Austria for shooting with old German fire rifle ("Feuerstutzen"). There at the range I asked some long-established riflemen about your "breech-seater" whether they know this. And they told me, that about 15 years ago, somebody brought such a tool to the range (it seems he got it from US). And they decided to test it.

But they realized that it takes too long time for reloading and the barrel will be really soon full of lead near the mouth (in direction to the cartridge chamber). And it seemed to be less precise than with ready loaded cartridges. So they stopped the tests an went back to their usual ammo.

Nobody knows a German name or expression for it. So I think, that perhaps this is no old German loading tool.

Greetings from
Biggi

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #65 - May 2nd, 2010 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Breach seating bullets is an American technique. We tend to shoot from the bench much more here and our rifles are made a little different at the throat of the chamber.
My Stahl German rifle is very accurate when the bullet is breachseated. It leads a little. When I shoot the fixed ammo like in Germany/Austria the rifle leads very bad. This might be because I dont have the correct size bullet mold.  My bore is .316 and the bore is not perfect.  

Joe.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #66 - May 2nd, 2010 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Hi Bob,  So it is true? That old saying? Nothing new under the sun? 

You really need to write a book Bob.  I'm serious.  Wink

Joe.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #67 - May 3rd, 2010 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Hi Joe,

you wanted to know more about the stock stickers on our Feuerstutzen rifles. These are the control stickers which you get at "weapon-check" at the Bavarian Championship (every year in September). Each rifle has to be controlled, whether all components are regular, the peep sight, the stock the system, the front sight, no additional barrel-weights, and so on.  Also the ammo is examined, if it is only lead-bullet and no copper-jacket bullet.

If everything is okay, you are allowed to shoot with this Stutzen. If it is not okay, you have to change over or you can go home...

The pic shows me last weekend in Austria with some stock stickers from Bavarian Championship of the last years.

Biggi

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #68 - May 4th, 2010 at 9:42am
Print Post  
So much style Biggi !!  

The rules sound strict. Much more so than ours.

What system Martini is your rifle?  Is the Martini system most popular or one of the others. There are so many.  Shocked

My Martini is a Stahl

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #69 - May 6th, 2010 at 5:25am
Print Post  

Hi Joe.

Yes we have strict rules. But we only execute them very strictly at the Bavarian Championship in September, because of equality in the competition. At the other events, like price-shootings, it depends on the organizing club or society, how strict they follow the rules. 

We differentiate not so much between "Martini" and "Martini". We speak about a "Martini Stahl" or another Martini-System. We say that this or that is an AydtI or an AydtII system. If somebody has a "Stahl", it's of course better. Very good are those Büchel-systems, but I have only an old Martini, it's about approx. 1895 built. My fire-rifle is no piece of jewelry, has no engraving and nearly no stock-carving - but it works not so bad.

Three years ago, we made a small statistic at the weapon-check at Bavarian Championship, which are the most popular systems used nowadays on the Feuerstutzen-Competition. The AydtI-system was the most used, if I remember correct.

Biggi

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #70 - May 9th, 2010 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Another question on rules Biggi. 

Is the barrel sight allowed to be used with the front sight and rear diopter?

Using all three sights helps me see the fine bead sight that my rifles have. Most of our shooting is done outside in strong light.

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #71 - May 10th, 2010 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Biggi, let us go back to available bullets again.   

You wrote about the bullets from Haendler & Natermann.  How are these manufactured?  A mechanical high-pressure process such as swaging makes a much more uniform bullet than any cast of lead, but the machinery involved makes it unprofitable to produce small lots.  We can buy swaged bullets for the large caliber black powder rifles (40 to 45 caliber) because there is sufficient demand.  Such bullets are expensive, even more expensive than jacketed match bullets.  But here there is not sufficient demand for swaged bullets in the sizes used by our Schuetzen rifles and so they are not available to us.  Perhaps someone can export a portion of the next batch your group orders from Haendler & Natermann.  I would purchase some to try in my old German rifles and I am sure that some others would also.

Our collective experience with commercial cast bullets is the same as yours; poor quality control & too many rejects.  You have to buy a lot of them and spend a lot of time weighing and inspecting before you get enough to shoot in a match.  That is why most of us cast our own bullets.  As a hobby, we can ignore the cost of our time and can throw the rejects back into the pot.  We can also control the alloy of lead and tin in the bullet mixture.  Most of our rifles shoot a bit more accurately and lead a bit less if we have a tiny amount of tin in the mixture.

waterman

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #72 - May 10th, 2010 at 7:56pm
Print Post  

Hello Joe.

Sorry, I was out for shooting the last days...

In our rules, we allow only two sights on a feuer-rifle or a zimmer-rifle. The diopter/peep sight with a "Sperber-Röhrl" or a "Seibert-Diopter" (makes a increase in 1.5-times ...don't know the correct expression). And at the front sight a "Korn". This might be a pinhead, a ring/circle or a Balken/beam.

The allowed sights you can find illustrated in our rules:

A telescopic barrel sight is not allowed. We do not use it, because it is "not traditional" for our shooting ranges.

Biggi  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #73 - May 10th, 2010 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Hello waterman... nice to read you!

I don't know at the moment, in which process Haendler&Naterman make their lead bullets for schuetzen-rifle. I have to ask. Perhaps I know more the next days.

We have to order minimum 10.000 bullets per size, or H&N will not produce them. Last month we ordered a really big lot at H&N. Which size you need? In .318/.321./.323 diameter? In 148 or 170 grain? Greased-lead or copper-coated?

Some of our best riflemen cast their demand of bullets themselves. And I know, that's really much better. They also do not use the commercial RWS-shells for 8.15x46r, they often prefer special re-casted .30-.30 shells. But I don't know all their secrets why they shoot so much better... probably they are much better riflemen! 
Wink

Joking aside: If you spend more time by the choice of the single components of your cartridge, you will have more success with it. But if you are only an ordinary hobby-rifleman/woman, you have to buy this on market, what you can get. This means H&N-bullets and RWS-shells. Powder from Vihtavuori (Kemira110) and CCI primers. 

Biggi

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - May 11th, 2010 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Which shells a shooter can or should use depends on the type of action.  My very old Martini requires RWS shells or shells with an equivalent rim diameter.  I have some old DWM shells and about 200 old Berdan primers that work also.  If I make shells for the Martini out of 30-30 shells, it requires some work on a lathe to reduce the rim diameter.  One American company, Quality Cartridge Company, makes shells to the same size as the RWS shells, but they are just as expensive as RWS.  An American shooter might just as well buy the RWS shells, because we know they will be made correctly.

But for my Original Aydt, 8.15 x 46R shells made from American or Canadian 30-30 cases work even better than RWS cases.  That is because of the gap between the face of the breechblock and the end of the barrel.  The rims of the American cases are slightly thicker and are greater in diameter than the RWS 8.15 cases, and so they fill the gap better.  Making the cases from 30-30 is quite easy.  You can also trim the American cases a bit to fit the length of your chamber exactly, if that is necessary.

Personally, I would like to try some of the .318 diameter & 170 grain greased lead bullets, but I do not know any of the problems with importing them.

And the more you practice, the luckier you become.

waterman

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #75 - May 11th, 2010 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Waterman,
Did you notice the paper blown from the muzzle as the third shooter fires in the video? I wonder if its paper from a bag of powder or a paper patched bullet? I've never seen a paper patch come off in that way. 

Tissue paper possibly? Used as filler?  Huh

Joe.  Wink

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #76 - May 11th, 2010 at 9:54am
Print Post  
H&N swages their bullets - I also use them for some applications (.22 Hornet, 30-20, 38-40).  Even the GG bullets are swaged.  But it is a quality product indeed - it shoots at least as well as hand-cast stuff.
Their Hi-Speed bullets especially are pretty good - if a bit pricey...

IP Logged

40-65tom

Reply #77 - May 11th, 2010 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Biggi
First, thanks so much for increasing my knowlege of these fine German Rifles. I would like to ask if there is a source for some of the Diopters shown on your site. I purchased one not long ago, on E-bay but would like to fit another on one of my Zimmerstutzens.

Thanks Tom

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - May 11th, 2010 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Joe, I think you are correct.  That looks like tissue paper filler, probably used to keep the small powder charge near the primer.  If you do that with black powder, the tissue paper comes out on fire.  Don't ask how I know that.

Gert, are the H&N bullets exported to the US?

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #79 - May 11th, 2010 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Yes, we use toilet paper for damp (holding the powder near the primer). Normally it is enough, if you roll a small ball out of a quarter of one leaf of a 3-ply version of toilet paper. 

I cannot identify the shooter`s face, so I cannot ask him, how he damps. An other possibility is to damp with dentist`s cotton batting in diameter of 8 millimeters (like the shell). From a cotton rod (length 50mm) you take a slim slice about 3-4mm and damp the powder with it to the primer. 

Biggi

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - May 11th, 2010 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
There is sometimes a discussion about "chamber ringing" on this forum.  I will let someone who knows more about it explain that.  But I think the use of a slice of cotton from the rod to hold the powder in place has the potential to damage the rifle.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #81 - May 11th, 2010 at 2:37pm
Print Post  

According to information I received in the last years from schuetzen-friends who damp with dentist's cotton, the cotton is not saturated with chemicals, which are able to damage inside the barrel. Because the heat of the burning powder would release the chemicals in the cotton. The old steel is eventually prone to chemical releases.

Some schuetzen-friends damp since decades with dentist's cotton and have no problems at all. But damping with semolina is a science for master practitioner. With semolina you can really damage your barrel...

Biggi

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #82 - May 11th, 2010 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
Hi Tom,

nice that you could increase knowledge to our favourite hobby "Old German Schuetzen Rifles" on my website feuerbixler. Sorry that we have no English-Edition until now...
Huh

You need a diopter? I still have one for Zimmerstutzen. 
Smiley

Biggi

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #83 - May 11th, 2010 at 4:02pm
Print Post  

Hello waterman!

I have made the same experiences like you, the 30-30 work very good in my AydtI, but in my Martini there is nearly now chance. So I use the RWS 8.15-shells with my "bitchy" Martini and for my "good-natured" AydtI I can use each shell-type I can get...

Yesterday I got a delivery from the H&N new production of 8.15er bullets. Here at home I've only the .318 / 148grain. The 500-pieces package has the weight of 5 kilogrammes. The postal-costs to US are 35 Euro. And the package of the 500 bullets are 50 Euro. Total amount to send them to US = 85 Euro = 108 US$.

Biggi

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #84 - May 11th, 2010 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Hei Biggi, it's hard to tell from the pictures of the diopter sight, but while I can see the diopter blocker for iron sight matches, I can't tell if it is one of the "focusing diopters". I've got one on my AYDT Zimmerstutzen and it is great for old eyes. You've shared some neat stuff. Do you have any way of checking a maker if I give the name and city? Thanks friend.

Trapdoor Dick NieKamp
Just an olde Dutchman Wink

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #85 - May 11th, 2010 at 5:48pm
Print Post  

Hi Trapdoor Dick.

This is just a "simple diopter", I think good use for Zimmerstutzen. It is original from approx. 1890 or 1900. I've bought it recently from the great-grandson of the former owner. Since 1945 the diopter was stored in the attic. The associated Stutzen was destroyed in 1945 in Germany by... guess who?!?! ... the Allied forces...
Shocked

What shall I check for you? I can try it, perhaps I'm successful...

Biggi

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - May 11th, 2010 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Biggi, I had a cousin who was in the US Army Military Police during WWII.  One of his duties as the Army came into Germany was to collect firearms from the civilian population, place them on the curb of the road and have a 2 1/2 ton truck or half-track run over them to destroy them.  Made him cry to do it, there were some absolutely beautiful rifles & shotguns, but it was his job.  Thirty years later, when he told me about it, he was still upset that it was done.   Sad

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #87 - May 11th, 2010 at 8:35pm
Print Post  

David, our grandfathers and fathers tell also with tears in their eyes, that they have seen the destroying of European cultural treasures: artful engraved and carved feuerstutzen and hunting-shotguns, with gold inlays on barrel and system-plate, ivory stock decoration.

But there where also the soldiers, who took them over to USA. Also our shooting society banners, our Schuetzen-Koenig-chains and other devotional objects like the goblets or medals. (If you have good luck, you can buy them back at ebay or other US-auction houses...)

So a big part of the old German schuetzen-history is lost by destroying or plundering the club houses. Also while bombing down the cities in WWII, the Germans have lost their schuetzen-society-documents like the journals. 

I'm always glad, if I find something historical of Munich's lost schuetzen-history at US-ebay to bring it back home to Bavaria.
Smiley

Biggi

IP Logged

40-65tom

Reply #88 - May 13th, 2010 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Biggi
Sorry to be so vague. I was refering to something like the Sperber optic. I bought a reproduction on E-bay, but could use another. I have seen German sites that have the rear sights as well as the front inserts, but have not been able to get them to respond to e-mails.

Thanks Tom

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - May 13th, 2010 at 11:43am
Print Post  
As far as I know, H&N doesn't export to the US.  The stuff isn't exactly cheap, so I presume they think they wouldn't be competitive on the US market.  The airgun pellets can be found, I believe, but the 'normal' bullets not.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #90 - May 13th, 2010 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

Yes, there were many fine guns lost in the last world war, but luckily many GI’s brought German Schutzen rifles back from Europe as souvenirs and even today, 65 years later, there are Aydt rifles that show up here locally that have been in storage since the war. Unfortunately, most of these old rifles are missing their original sights and so we are always looking for replacement diopters, etc.

Bob

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #91 - May 14th, 2010 at 6:34am
Print Post  
The situation is the same in Britain--we have more schuetzen rifles than sights. I have the field sight which fits and slides on the top rib for my Buechel, but the diopter is missing. Finding one is complicated further by Mr Buechel offsetting the sight base to allow clearance for a cleaning rod. I modified a Pedersoli ladder type sight and made a base for it: this has the advantage of Vernier markings and so I can adjust from 100 to 200yds easily. I would still like to find an original diopter----.
Fred

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #92 - May 14th, 2010 at 10:14am
Print Post  

As far as I know the told story, in 1945 in Germany the things happened like follows:

The Allied forces collected all the weapons, also the sport arms or hunting-shotguns and fire-rifle/zimmer-rifle. Not all were destroyed immediately, but the expensive-looking ones and also the sportarms wehrmann-büchse / wehrmanns-gewehre were collected separately.  In that offices or storehouses the rifles were separated from the diopters. With wehrmanngewehr (very military-looking!), they proceed like that, they put the lever-bolt out and stored them separately from the rifle in different crates. They wanted, that the arms are at the moment not able for shooting. 

In US (or perhaps also in GB), the crates came to different storehouses. Lot of years later, they found again these crates with the fire-rifles, but they didn't look for the crate with the diopters. So the fire-rifles went out without the peep-sights. Nobody knows, where the crates with the peep-sights are went to...

Also the wehrmann-rifles. They put together the lever-bolt and the rifle, but didn't look about the hammered type-numbers. So all the collected wehrmann-rifles (which came back to the shooters) have nowadays different numbers from lever-bolt and rifle. If you find one with equal and correct numbers at all marked parts, you know that this wehrmann-rifle wasn't collected in 1945 by the Allied forces. So it's a rifle, which was hidden stored in an attic or cellar.

Would you be so kind to look about those lost crates with the diopters?  Wink Cheesy Grin

Biggi

IP Logged

J. pickup
Ex Member

Reply #93 - May 14th, 2010 at 11:32am
Print Post  
I once owned a very nice German Single Shot hunting rifle. It was a break open, built like a shotgun. When i got it, the hammer had been replaced with a shotgun hammer from Dixie, i think. It didn't really look right, but worked fine.I think someone took the hammer off and threw it on a pile of guns turned in.Later i think a GI picked it out of the pile and took it home in a duffle bag.This would be easy because it broke in two pieces like a shotgun.When i got it someone rebored it for 45-70,  probably because he coun't get ammo for it.It was a nice gun, but kicked bad because it only weighted about 6 pounds.I finally got tired of shooting it and sold it-made 300% on what  i paid for it.The famous gun dealer who bought it didn't believe me when i said i shot 45-70's in it. I guess even Big time dealers goof up now and then.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #94 - May 19th, 2010 at 6:23pm
Print Post  

Hello...

...in the Tom Rowe books (Vol. II / page 250) is written, that they couldn't find a "Neumann System I" like it is in an old catalogue shown. 

Now we have found one specimen, I made some pics of it last Saturday.

Biggi

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #95 - May 20th, 2010 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Thank you for sharing Biggi!  Wink So many German rifle systems!  Shocked

It seems as many as the stars in the sky!  There must have been tremendous competition among makers back then.  ? Huh   

Joe.  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #96 - May 21st, 2010 at 10:13am
Print Post  

Yes, there were a lot of different but famous gunsmiths and makers more than a 100 years ago all over Germany. 

Most of the rifle systems were built in Suhl / Thuringia and the surrounding area. There were also all those component suppliers for parts and the famous engravers and carvers. 

The gunsmiths all over Germany bought almost all parts and components in Suhl and mounted them in their dealer's workshop. Then they marked their name onto the barrel. But the parts were built nearly only in Suhl.

Some makers who invented their selves a new system, were more expensive I think. And so the unusual "self-made" systems are also nowadays very very rare.

Also all those famous Munich gunsmiths are not documented until now. A few months ago I tried to find out more about the "family tree" of the Munich's gunsmiths since 1850. Because I was wondering about, why some gunsmiths only existed for a few years or decades. So I found out, that a lot of them were assumed by another gunsmith or two gunsmiths united their shops and a short time later they gave the shop a new name. A lot to do for examining this topic...

Biggi

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #97 - May 21st, 2010 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

About ten years ago I shot in the ISSA Schützen match in New Mexico; the man on the bench next to me was from Germany and was a member of the Schilling family. He was shooting a very fine engraved Aydt Schützen rifle in 8,15 X 46R, only that his rifle was new and his family (their company had been in the GDR) was now making target rifles again. Are the rifles that you and your friends use mostly old ones, or are some of your guns new?

Bob

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #98 - May 21st, 2010 at 12:30pm
Print Post  

Hi Bob!

We normally use only old and very old rifles. We have a gunsmith who rebuilts exactly an old Aydt (for e.g.). But this is much more expensive, than buying an old good one. It costs between 6000-7000 Euro (approx. 7500-8500 US$). From that new Aydt-fire-rifle from ex-GDR (Suhl) I've heard already, and I think this must be that one, a good friend of me has bought last year for a very good prize. I have to ask him, if this is a "Schilling"-rebuilt.

There is another gunsmith who builds rifles with 8.15x46R barrel, but he doesn't uses old rebuild components. The system isn't constructed like the old model-pattern. Also the diopters are new sport-sights. So those fire-rifles are not acceptable for traditional shooting, but they are cheaper (2500 Euro = approx. 3100 US$).

For a good old one (not carved or engraved) you pay about 1800 to 2500 Euro (2200 to 3100 US$). And this is less, than for a new one. If you have enough time to search one, then you can wait for a good offer. And you have to look for a fire-rifle, which fits with the Tyrolean cheek-stock perfect to your own physiognomy. This is the most difficultest act while buying an old fire-rifle...
Undecided Roll Eyes

Biggi

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #99 - May 21st, 2010 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

I think this is the correct company;

Bob

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #100 - May 21st, 2010 at 8:53pm
Print Post  

Hi Bob!

Thx for that URL, I didn't know that page until now. 

One year ago we made a journey to Suhl and Zella-Mehlis to visit there the museums of arms-history. Very interesting! But more than 40 years of GDR has nearly nothing left of the former gunmaker-tradition...

Biggi

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #101 - May 22nd, 2010 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Hello Biggi,

Has anyone tried to bring the old rifles now in the US back to Germany?  Here they sell for about 50 to 60 % of the Euro prices you mentioned.

waterman

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #102 - May 23rd, 2010 at 6:54am
Print Post  

Hi waterman.

I think, there are two different reasons to buy an old German fire-rifle. If you are a collector and you find somewhere in US or an other country a very nice specimen, engraved, carved or rare system, you buy it perhaps for your collection. But the really nice collector-pieces are normally expensive, in GER also in US.

If you are a shooter and you want to buy a simple fire-rifle only for shooting, there are other reasons to note. It is important, that the barrel is inside not defect, the mechanism of the action is okay, the stock-styling fits to your cheek. So the shooter buys a fire-rifle preferred here in Bavaria, so that he might shoot for testing with the rifle before buying. If he buys from far away (only seen before on pics), he might be disappointed and cannot shoot with it.

But I know some friends, who have already bought old fire-rifles from US. They are collectors and wanted that piece for their collection.
Smiley

Biggi

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #103 - May 25th, 2010 at 6:05am
Print Post  

Hi schuetzenbob.

Back to the topic "breech-seater": Two weeks ago, you've made a post here about an old German fire-rifle with accessories, including a breech-seater. Your post was away the next day. Why?

Meanwhile I spoke with a lot of single-shot fire-rifle shooters here in Bavaria about breech-seating. It's not complete unknown, but it's definitely no old German loading procedure.

Biggi

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #104 - May 25th, 2010 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Biggi,

I'm pretty sure the practice of breech seating, as well as that of muzzle-breech loading (where the bullet is muzzle loaded to a prescribed point in the barrel then a case with powder and primer is loaded in the normal way) were both American developments.  I don't know where the breech seating actually originated, but the muzzle-breech loading has been credited to Haynes and the builder Schalck, if memory serves.  You know we Americans can never leave well enough alone and are always trying to do something new!  Wink

Froggie

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #105 - May 25th, 2010 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Hi Froggie!

A friend of mine (who is a really fanatic freak in creating tools) has developed 20 years ago on his own a tricky tool for "breach-loading". 

He masterminded something, to get more precision while loading. He didn't know, that in US are already such related tools in use.

I've made some pics for you!  Wink 
(Thx to Joe, who mentioned all the time "pics pics pics!"... *grin* ...perhaps men can better view pics than read words?!?!?)
Grin Grin Grin

So the friend created the shown case with a mechanic inside. With the cranked hexagon wrench key you have first to adjust the accurate length for your bearing, then pull with the screwdriver tight (other side of the case).

Afterwards you can start with loading. The bullet and the case with a paper wrapped package with powder. But I think you know how to proceed...
Wink

The shown "brilliant invention" is a unique single piece, he gave it to me for showing it to you.

Biggi  Wink

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #106 - May 25th, 2010 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Hi Biggi,

Yes, I thought you were tired of hearing about breech-seaters so I removed my post, but what I described was an old German 8,15 X 46R breech-seater which was made of steel and drilled completely through the center, and had a center pin to push the bullet into the throat of the barrel, only that it was very light weight and “dainty,” not like our heavy mechanical seaters. The little breech-seater was black and looked to be made by a gun company, it was not a “home made” job. It was in a box with other old German loading tools. Although I have some old German catalogs, I have never found anything like that listed.

Bob

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #107 - May 25th, 2010 at 6:33pm
Print Post  

No Bob, I wasn't tired about hearing/reading things about breech seating. (I'm only sometimes tired, when it is already past midnight in Germany, like now...) *grin*

If I do not answer soon, I'm out for shooting  Cheesy   ...or out for work...  Sad

I would say however, that the described breech-seating-tool mentioned by you, was a old self-made-construction. Even when it looks professional. In all our old and very old catalogs, such a tool was never seen before.

I don't know, why we haven't had never such tools in former times in Germany. Perhaps we didn't need it anyway?!? Our shooters were accurate and precise enough while scoring? Didn't need a special tool for much more precision?!?
Wink Cheesy Grin

Biggi

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #108 - May 27th, 2010 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

At your convenience, would you please be so kind as to look at the question I posted on the Collecting Single Shots section on the Haenel Aydt?  I'm hoping you or some of your group might provide some information for me.  Thanks in advance!

As for your friend's clever adaptation of the process of breech seating, he simply re-proved the old maxim, "There is nothing new under the sun!"  His device has a good way to adjust seating depth, but seems a little less convenient to use than ours, and would not have the leverage to push a slightly oversized bullet into position.  I would love to be able to try his out with one of our rifles just to see how well it would work.   

BTW, does anyone in your group shoot a 6.5 X 27 cartridge?  That looks like it would be about the best version of a .25 caliber that was ever made, and uses (if I understand correctly what I have read) that same kind of pre-loaded paper package of powder you show in your pictures.

Green Frog
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2010 at 4:42pm by Green_Frog »  

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #109 - May 28th, 2010 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

Good afternoon (It’s morning here in California, so it’s afternoon in Bavaria) I like your friend’s work! I’ve thought about making up some of the individual loads “Einzelladungen” by using cigarette papers for wrappers, which appears to be what your friend did, I may make a few up just to try them. 

Bob

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #110 - May 28th, 2010 at 3:55pm
Print Post  

Hi Bob!

Now it's already evening here in Bavaria (10 pm). We are nine hours further I think...
Roll Eyes

Yes, that works with cigarette paper. I think the thin cigarette paper will be blown away totally, so you have no influence or manipulation to the powder and the shot's power.

The friend shot with this breech-seater 20 years ago sometimes, but he stopped it. Because it lasts too long for loading between the shots. Everybody in Europe is used to shoot with ready loaded cartridges. And we don't have so much ranges, you have sometimes to hurry while shooting, because there are a lot of other shooters who are waiting for the place at the range...
Undecided

I'm looking forward to your reports about trying to shoot like our Bavarian tools-creating-freak!
Smiley

Biggi

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #111 - May 28th, 2010 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
I made a breech seater a couple of years ago for my Buchel. It shoots better with the bullet in the case up to the stop-ring. I believe firmly that the key to accuracy with 8.15 x 46R is the use of the correct stop-ring bullet---and they are VERY accurate!
Fred

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #112 - May 29th, 2010 at 4:54pm
Print Post  

Hi Fred!

You have made a special breechseater for your Büchel? You still have this unit and might show pictures here?

Biggi

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #113 - May 29th, 2010 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Hi Biggi: Will take a picure in the next day or so: nothing complicated, it is a simple push device.
Fred

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #114 - May 29th, 2010 at 5:20pm
Print Post  

Now for something completely different. 

Here are pics of a particular sight/diopter made by SEIBERT WETZLAR (probably in the 1920ies). I don't know this specimen, although it's from Germany. 
Huh

It has three different color-filters (grey - yellow - lightpink) for inserting them. And also a rubber ocular. 

I didn't find it in old catalogues and I don't know how old it is. Perhaps somebody knows about this diopter?
Roll Eyes

Biggi

IP Logged

DesBon
Participating Member

Reply #115 - May 30th, 2010 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Hello Biggi,
In the late 1960's I had a simillar Seibert 1.5x diopter but without the color filters. The rubber eye shade is the same as were supplied with my Walther UIT Standard and KKM rifles. It was also used by Weihrauch. I have a Gehmann 1.5x diopter at this time.
Many shooters have tried these 1.5x optical diopters as well as Eagle Eye magnifiers in the front sight attempting to improve the target image. I find the result is not worth the cost.
I feel the use of these accessories is not in the spirit of Traditional Schuetzen.

Regards,

Des

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #116 - May 30th, 2010 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Hi Biggi, Sorry it took so long to get back on your offer to try and track down anything about my Zimmerstutzen. We had some family medical emergencies, but I'm back. The barrel is marked on top, "Michael Burger, Erlangen" that, other than a number I assume is serial or assembly number is on the barrel and receiver. While on the subject of diopter sights, here is the one on my ZS. It has five different rotating apertures, a yellow filter, and can be  focused. this really helps my olde eyes. I found another sight similar inconfiguration, but without all "goodies" or extra's that I mounted on the 32-40 Trapdoor Scheutzen I built last year. Had a hard time refraining from putting the ZS sight on it. Common sense finally took over so I left the ZS all original. THanks for your willingness to try and help me.

Dick

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #117 - May 30th, 2010 at 5:51pm
Print Post  

Hi DesBon,

thank you very much for the information about this diopter. I've got it two weeks ago, but the friend who gave it to me also didn't know, how old it is. He said something about 1920ies...

...but I thought also about the 1950/60ies. And you are right, it's really not an accessory for Traditional Schuetzen! And it's not allowed in our traditional rules.
Smiley

Best regards 
         Biggi
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2010 at 6:31pm by feuerbixler »  

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #118 - May 30th, 2010 at 5:55pm
Print Post  

Hi Dick.

Thanx for the pic of your ZS-diopter. Now I understand what you mean. This is a old diopter with some lenses for adjusting the visual acuity. I don't know so much about those visual assistance, because I do not have myself such old diopters with lenses.

In our rules it's allowed to use a Sperber or Seibert "mini-scope" for mounting behind the old iron-sight-diopter (in direction to the barrel). This Seibert or Sperber is allowed with 1,5x zoom mode and not more. Color filters are also allowed. But I've never shot with such visual assistance - although my eyes get already older...

About maker "Michael Burger, Erlangen" I have to look, if I find one time something about this maker. Since the 1850/60ies, there were a lot of makers in region Munich and also region Nuremberg. The town Erlangen is very close to Nuremberg in northern Bavaria (Franconia). Do you know out of which period the ZS is? From 1890 or rather 1920ies? Perhaps I find something in my old Bavarian schuetzen-newspapers about Burger Erlangen.

Greetings from Munich
       Biggi

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #119 - May 31st, 2010 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Thanks Biggi. I have been trying to determine age on the ZS, but really don't know. There is so little in print about them. This one is without history past the mid 1970's when a friend and I acquired it from an estate sale. And there was no record in the paperwork of the estate. That little sight is the subject of continued discussion. There is no magnification in it, so whether it would be allowed would be up the the interpretation of the individual Scheutzenmeister I suppose. I use it for the ZS Postal match I host, and discussion there has made it's use OK. What do the ASSRA folks feel about this? Has ANYONE ever seen a  another sight like this? And if I had mounted it on my TD Scheutzen, would it be allowed? Thanks for your help Biggi  and I look forward to comments from our other members. Smiley

Trapdoor Dick NieKamp

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #120 - May 31st, 2010 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Attached are pictures of my home made breech seater for my Buchel: waste of time as all it does in effect is increase the capacity of a case which is already too big.
Also a 3 time magnification scope which fits to the top rib in a purpose made mount. The scope is made by "Iskop" in Wetzler.

Anybody seen one of these before?
Fred

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #121 - May 31st, 2010 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Hi Dick!

Your old diopter looks visually exactly like our SEIBERT-Diopter. I found it in our traditional shooting rules. The picture is taken out of an old catalogue from the 1920ies.

I tried to translate the German expressions for you, I hope they are correct and understandable.
Roll Eyes

Biggi

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #122 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Biggi, you are a man of many wonders.  Wink It is without a doubt the sight that is on my ZS. You have added immensly to my knowledge of the history of the rifle. The 1920"s period fits with my interpretation of general time of manufacture. And if you have any luck with the name, would pin it down even more and add to our knowledge base. Again, not to be maudlin, but thank you.

Dick

PS Now that we know what this sight is, do we have any more info on it's legality in ASSRA matches?? Undecided

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #123 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Friend Biggi,

I know you said that you like to try rifles out to see if they fit you properly and you would only buy one that “fits like a glove.” I think it’s very likely that all of these offhand rifles once had dimensions made to order, do any of your friends make custom stocks for feuerstutzen? Do you have particular dimensions; length of pull, height of comb, etc., that you look for in a feuerstutzen?

Bob 

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #124 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Tell ya what group. When I make a mistake, it's generally a good one.  Embarrassed   To this point, I have to appologize to Biggi and all of you. Somewhere I either missed or it never registered in my feeble brain that our friend Biggi was of the female gender. She is a wellspring of knowledge and her sharing this with us, a resource we haven't had very often in any arena. So please accept my appology Biggi, and  to rephrase my last post...

"Biggi, you are a woman of many wonders."

Dick

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #125 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 6:26pm
Print Post  

Hi Dick,

thanx for the correction-posting about gender. *grin*  Wink Cheesy Grin

Nice that we have found now the correct identification about your diopter. Don't you have uniformly rules made by ASSRA for the German rifle matches? (I didn't find anything in the web...)

Since we have our traditional shootings (since approx. 20 years), there were also all the time discussion about permitted and forbidden accessory or "pimp up" of the old Stutzen. So we created a few years ago the first rules with a lot of pictures out of old catalogues. And now we have those nearly perfect guidelines and nobody can still say "Oooohhh, I didn't know this!"

Especially for the Bavarian Championships we need the rules, because there the conditions for all participants have to be the same. Only allowed diopters, no additional barrel weights, original stock style and so on.

Other shootings (like prize-shootings) write down in their invitations that the rules of Bavarian Sport Shooting Association are valid. So they have less discussions with the shooters, when they arrive with forbidden accessory.

On my homepage you can take a look at our rules (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links), perhaps you should create something like that for ASSRA matches? 

Finally, I think your original SEIBERT diopter is allowed in any case, because it's built before WWII.

Biggi  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #126 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Hi Schutzenbob!

About your question to the different stocks, which should most suitable "fit like a glove".

In former times, there were a lot of mail order companies where you could get your fire-rifle or zimmer-rifle out of the catalogue. The different systems (Aydt, Martini, etc.) and different stocks were shown there. 

A stock with "Swiss Cheek" or "Bavarian Cheek" fits nearly everybody, because you can slide on the wooden stock cheek to your favourite position. 

With "Tyrolean Cheek" and "Vienna Cheek" you had also in former times more problems to find a fitting one to your own physiognomy.

Examples see first figure below.  Smiley

I think most of the shooters in former times bought their fire-rifle or zimmer-rifle ready-made "from the shelf". Because going to a stock-carver was also at that time expensive. And I think, that most of the shooters had to make compromises between the prize and the fitting to the physiognomy...

I believe, there are a lot of parameters for carving a fitting stock. The position and height of the wooden cheek, the angle between the barrel and the both final-points at the end of the stock and the length of the stock and surely a lot more. And also the used system, because normally a Martini is marginally lower than an Aydt-system.

Examples see second figure below.  Smiley

Nowadays with a modern small-bore .22 cal match rifles, you have the possibility to adjust all parameters with screws and Allen-wrench fitting to your physiognomy. So you need no stock-carver anymore.

Biggi  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #127 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 12:06pm
Print Post  

Nowadays, the variety for right-handed-shooters is normally big enough, if you want to buy a fire-rifle or zimmer-rifle. 

But if you are a left-hand-shooter, it is really difficult to find a good and fitting one.

If you find a good right-hand-rifle but you need a left-handed one, you have to go to one of the last stock-carvers we have in Bavaria. This manufacturer can make the perfect stock for you. But it is expensive. 

I know somebody who has bought a left-handed-stock there last year. I'll meet this shooter next week, so I can ask him, how the manufacturer proceeds while "tailoring" the custom-stock.

In former times there was even patent (in the year 1900) for a machine for finding the parameters for fitting stock...
Wink Cheesy

...it seems to be a very difficult job to custom a stock!  Shocked Shocked  Grin

Biggi  Smiley

IP Logged

40-65tom

Reply #128 - Jun 2nd, 2010 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Biggi
Are you aware of any shops that are currently making optical attachments like the Fernrohr-Diopter Sperber shown on your website? I bought a reproduction of E-bay and it works great, just would like to find another. Great website and I am learning tons of stuff from this thread. Just so you know I have three Zimmers and three centerfires.

Tom

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #129 - Jun 3rd, 2010 at 2:29pm
Print Post  

Hi 40-65 Tom.

Interesting question about buying nowadays those replicas. Truth be told: I don't know. I only know a precision mechanic factory, which builds exactly old diopter-sights.

Would you be so kind to post some detailed pics of your ebay-purchase? It's interesting for me to view such a reproduction. Is there written a manufacturer on it?

Greetings from Bavaria
           Biggi

IP Logged

40-65tom

Reply #130 - Jun 4th, 2010 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Biggi
I will be happy to post pictures, but I am currently away from home. Next week for sure. The optical device has no name on it. I threaded the front of my Buchel eyecup to accept the device and it works well.

Tom

IP Logged

deadwooddick

Reply #131 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 1:43am
Print Post  
feuerbixler wrote on Apr 23rd, 2010 at 6:01pm:

Do you score the circles in a historic competition or only the bull's eyes? If you score circles, how much circles has your target? And which diameter has the target and the bull's eye?

Biggi

Haven't seen a response to the above request and as I had an opportunity to compete this weekend (for the first time), here's a target (Iron sights @ 200Y, outside diameter = 30.48 cm, for 22RF Benchrest) used at the Wyoming Schützen matches held annually during June…

The reverse is printed w/ a bull sized at 15.24 cm (6 inches) for pre-1917 scoped rifles. Scoring is by "the ring, (best edge). It was a two day match, but I was unable to shoot in first half, had fun even w/ the DNF.

HTH…
Richard

« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2010 at 1:50am by deadwooddick »  

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #132 - Jun 7th, 2010 at 6:08am
Print Post  
Hi deadwooddick.

Thx for showing the target. Very interesting! If you hit outside the rings, it is always a "zero"? It is not possible to shoot a 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 ring, thus the lowest ring is the "10"?

Hhhmm, what means "pre-1917 scoped rifles"? What is the difference with the scopes? I don't know this, because we have only our quite normal old fire-rifle diopters. Others are not allowed.

Biggi  Smiley

IP Logged

40-65tom

Reply #133 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Biggi
I have attached, I hope a picture of the optical device. There is no makers name on it. To focus the screw is loosened and the silver part is moved. The sight is off my Buchel. The key also shown is one I made to look like the ones in the catalogs.

Tom

IP Logged

deadwooddick

the Wyoming Schützen Union target
Reply #134 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
feuerbixler wrote on Jun 7th, 2010 at 6:08am:
Hi deadwooddick.

Thx for showing the target. Very interesting! If you hit outside the rings, it is always a "zero"? It is not possible to shoot a 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 ring, thus the lowest ring is the "10"?

Hhhmm, what means "pre-1917 scoped rifles"? What is the difference with the scopes? I don't know this, because we have only our quite normal old fire-rifle diopters. Others are not allowed.

Biggi  Smiley

Biggi,

The target paper is 26 inches (66.04 cm) square. I'm thinking that a competitor using this target at 200Y (182.88 m) who was missing it altogether (outside the 10 ring), might consider another "sport."  Roll Eyes 

Scoring rings out to #1 would require a target that's 38 inches square (96.6 cm) which I "think" is beyond most print shop capabilities.

Are images of your targets available ?

Richard

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #135 - Jun 8th, 2010 at 8:16pm
Print Post  

Hi deadwooddick Richard.

Thanks for further information. I will take some pics of our targets the next days. We have some different targets for different ranges/distances. I collected a few targets, I have to look where they are...
Wink

Biggi

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #136 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 7:23pm
Print Post  

Hi deadwooddick Richard,

here I am again with a variety of targets we use in Germany and Austria. All competitions normally with peep sight and freehand standing. Rest-shooting only for veterans in a separate ranking.

1) The normal 100m / 109y target of "Deutscher Schützenbund" for cal.22 shooting. 
We use this target also for fire-rifle shooting distance 100m. In Bavaria we have only two ranges with more than 100m, so at the other ranges we shoot only 100m anyway.
If you do not reach with your five shots (one serial/sequence) 38-40 circles, you should think about it would be better to go playing rummy. 
Wink

2) Austria / special target for a very difficult range • 120m / 130y
The range most of the time is very windy. The target is very small compared to our German target. If you hit 35-40 circles (5 shot) it is really not bad! 
Roll Eyes 

3) Austria / very old traditional target for the most difficultiest range we have. You have to shoot very steep uphill. 
Only four circles! Maximum with 5 shots = 20 circles. If you reach 12 or 14 circles it's a nice result.
Cheesy

If you want to see the associated ranges to these targets, please refer to feuerbixler's homepage "Termine & Veranstaltungen" > "Fotogalerie". There you can choose the events. There are always detailed pics from the ranges.

Biggi  Smiley

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2010 at 8:21pm by feuerbixler »  

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #137 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 12:48am
Print Post  
At the Redwood Gun Club range next to the Pacific Ocean, we use either the ASSRA or Wyoming Schuetzen Union (WSU) targets, depending on the whim of the match organizer and what we happen to have in quantity.  The dimensions of the rings are the same, but the colors vary slightly.  The ASSRA target (sold only to members) has an orange-red center on one side and black on the reverse.  Some shooters find the red center easier.  Some others find the black center easier.  It is a matter for individual eyesight which works best for you.  But sometimes the Schuetzenmeister is cranky and says "only red" or "only black".  The WSU target (sold to anyone with $) is reddish color, of a darker shade than the ASSRA target.  On one side, the rings from 24 to 18 (as shown in above photo) are red.  On the reverse side, only the only the 24, 23, & 22 rings are colored red.  That side is for shooting with scope sights.

We are not great observers of formality. Scoring for hits on paper depends on the whim of the Schuetzenmeister.  Sometimes it is 5 points for hits on paper.  At other times, hits outside of the 10-ring count zero.  All scoring is on the honor system.  Most of us are there simply to have a good time.

There is also a WSU target for 100 yards.  The 25-ring is 3/4 inch (19 mm).  Each ring increases the diameter by 3/4 inch.  The red circle is 6" in diameter and the 10-ring is 12" in diameter.

We allow either traditional German rifles with traditional sights or early (pre-1917 design) American (or other) single shots with traditional American sights.   

Some of our rifles have only scope sights, but the scopes used must have external aiming adjustments on the mount, not included in the scope.  I think one must be a very good shot to take advantage of the telescope.  Otherwise the scope merely magnifies the wobbles.

We say "pre-1917" scopes, but I think some of our most skilled traditional telescope makers were in the German Army in 1917. Wink

waterman

IP Logged

1991GoldenMatch11th
Participating Member

Reply #138 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 3:52am
Print Post  
Probably was Jochem Franz. He is a very out going person. Alot of fun to be around. He was in golden in '91.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint