Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Schützen - Zimmerstutzen (Read 109560 times)
feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Re: Schützen - Zimmerstutzen
Reply #105 - May 25th, 2010 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Hi Froggie!

A friend of mine (who is a really fanatic freak in creating tools) has developed 20 years ago on his own a tricky tool for "breach-loading". 

He masterminded something, to get more precision while loading. He didn't know, that in US are already such related tools in use.

I've made some pics for you!  Wink 
(Thx to Joe, who mentioned all the time "pics pics pics!"... *grin* ...perhaps men can better view pics than read words?!?!?)
Grin Grin Grin

So the friend created the shown case with a mechanic inside. With the cranked hexagon wrench key you have first to adjust the accurate length for your bearing, then pull with the screwdriver tight (other side of the case).

Afterwards you can start with loading. The bullet and the case with a paper wrapped package with powder. But I think you know how to proceed...
Wink

The shown "brilliant invention" is a unique single piece, he gave it to me for showing it to you.

Biggi  Wink

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #106 - May 25th, 2010 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Hi Biggi,

Yes, I thought you were tired of hearing about breech-seaters so I removed my post, but what I described was an old German 8,15 X 46R breech-seater which was made of steel and drilled completely through the center, and had a center pin to push the bullet into the throat of the barrel, only that it was very light weight and “dainty,” not like our heavy mechanical seaters. The little breech-seater was black and looked to be made by a gun company, it was not a “home made” job. It was in a box with other old German loading tools. Although I have some old German catalogs, I have never found anything like that listed.

Bob

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #107 - May 25th, 2010 at 6:33pm
Print Post  

No Bob, I wasn't tired about hearing/reading things about breech seating. (I'm only sometimes tired, when it is already past midnight in Germany, like now...) *grin*

If I do not answer soon, I'm out for shooting  Cheesy   ...or out for work...  Sad

I would say however, that the described breech-seating-tool mentioned by you, was a old self-made-construction. Even when it looks professional. In all our old and very old catalogs, such a tool was never seen before.

I don't know, why we haven't had never such tools in former times in Germany. Perhaps we didn't need it anyway?!? Our shooters were accurate and precise enough while scoring? Didn't need a special tool for much more precision?!?
Wink Cheesy Grin

Biggi

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #108 - May 27th, 2010 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

At your convenience, would you please be so kind as to look at the question I posted on the Collecting Single Shots section on the Haenel Aydt?  I'm hoping you or some of your group might provide some information for me.  Thanks in advance!

As for your friend's clever adaptation of the process of breech seating, he simply re-proved the old maxim, "There is nothing new under the sun!"  His device has a good way to adjust seating depth, but seems a little less convenient to use than ours, and would not have the leverage to push a slightly oversized bullet into position.  I would love to be able to try his out with one of our rifles just to see how well it would work.   

BTW, does anyone in your group shoot a 6.5 X 27 cartridge?  That looks like it would be about the best version of a .25 caliber that was ever made, and uses (if I understand correctly what I have read) that same kind of pre-loaded paper package of powder you show in your pictures.

Green Frog
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2010 at 4:42pm by Green_Frog »  

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #109 - May 28th, 2010 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

Good afternoon (It’s morning here in California, so it’s afternoon in Bavaria) I like your friend’s work! I’ve thought about making up some of the individual loads “Einzelladungen” by using cigarette papers for wrappers, which appears to be what your friend did, I may make a few up just to try them. 

Bob

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #110 - May 28th, 2010 at 3:55pm
Print Post  

Hi Bob!

Now it's already evening here in Bavaria (10 pm). We are nine hours further I think...
Roll Eyes

Yes, that works with cigarette paper. I think the thin cigarette paper will be blown away totally, so you have no influence or manipulation to the powder and the shot's power.

The friend shot with this breech-seater 20 years ago sometimes, but he stopped it. Because it lasts too long for loading between the shots. Everybody in Europe is used to shoot with ready loaded cartridges. And we don't have so much ranges, you have sometimes to hurry while shooting, because there are a lot of other shooters who are waiting for the place at the range...
Undecided

I'm looking forward to your reports about trying to shoot like our Bavarian tools-creating-freak!
Smiley

Biggi

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #111 - May 28th, 2010 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
I made a breech seater a couple of years ago for my Buchel. It shoots better with the bullet in the case up to the stop-ring. I believe firmly that the key to accuracy with 8.15 x 46R is the use of the correct stop-ring bullet---and they are VERY accurate!
Fred

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #112 - May 29th, 2010 at 4:54pm
Print Post  

Hi Fred!

You have made a special breechseater for your Büchel? You still have this unit and might show pictures here?

Biggi

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #113 - May 29th, 2010 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Hi Biggi: Will take a picure in the next day or so: nothing complicated, it is a simple push device.
Fred

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #114 - May 29th, 2010 at 5:20pm
Print Post  

Now for something completely different. 

Here are pics of a particular sight/diopter made by SEIBERT WETZLAR (probably in the 1920ies). I don't know this specimen, although it's from Germany. 
Huh

It has three different color-filters (grey - yellow - lightpink) for inserting them. And also a rubber ocular. 

I didn't find it in old catalogues and I don't know how old it is. Perhaps somebody knows about this diopter?
Roll Eyes

Biggi

IP Logged

DesBon
Participating Member

Reply #115 - May 30th, 2010 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Hello Biggi,
In the late 1960's I had a simillar Seibert 1.5x diopter but without the color filters. The rubber eye shade is the same as were supplied with my Walther UIT Standard and KKM rifles. It was also used by Weihrauch. I have a Gehmann 1.5x diopter at this time.
Many shooters have tried these 1.5x optical diopters as well as Eagle Eye magnifiers in the front sight attempting to improve the target image. I find the result is not worth the cost.
I feel the use of these accessories is not in the spirit of Traditional Schuetzen.

Regards,

Des

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #116 - May 30th, 2010 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Hi Biggi, Sorry it took so long to get back on your offer to try and track down anything about my Zimmerstutzen. We had some family medical emergencies, but I'm back. The barrel is marked on top, "Michael Burger, Erlangen" that, other than a number I assume is serial or assembly number is on the barrel and receiver. While on the subject of diopter sights, here is the one on my ZS. It has five different rotating apertures, a yellow filter, and can be  focused. this really helps my olde eyes. I found another sight similar inconfiguration, but without all "goodies" or extra's that I mounted on the 32-40 Trapdoor Scheutzen I built last year. Had a hard time refraining from putting the ZS sight on it. Common sense finally took over so I left the ZS all original. THanks for your willingness to try and help me.

Dick

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #117 - May 30th, 2010 at 5:51pm
Print Post  

Hi DesBon,

thank you very much for the information about this diopter. I've got it two weeks ago, but the friend who gave it to me also didn't know, how old it is. He said something about 1920ies...

...but I thought also about the 1950/60ies. And you are right, it's really not an accessory for Traditional Schuetzen! And it's not allowed in our traditional rules.
Smiley

Best regards 
         Biggi
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2010 at 6:31pm by feuerbixler »  

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #118 - May 30th, 2010 at 5:55pm
Print Post  

Hi Dick.

Thanx for the pic of your ZS-diopter. Now I understand what you mean. This is a old diopter with some lenses for adjusting the visual acuity. I don't know so much about those visual assistance, because I do not have myself such old diopters with lenses.

In our rules it's allowed to use a Sperber or Seibert "mini-scope" for mounting behind the old iron-sight-diopter (in direction to the barrel). This Seibert or Sperber is allowed with 1,5x zoom mode and not more. Color filters are also allowed. But I've never shot with such visual assistance - although my eyes get already older...

About maker "Michael Burger, Erlangen" I have to look, if I find one time something about this maker. Since the 1850/60ies, there were a lot of makers in region Munich and also region Nuremberg. The town Erlangen is very close to Nuremberg in northern Bavaria (Franconia). Do you know out of which period the ZS is? From 1890 or rather 1920ies? Perhaps I find something in my old Bavarian schuetzen-newspapers about Burger Erlangen.

Greetings from Munich
       Biggi

IP Logged

trapdoor Dick
Oldtimer

Reply #119 - May 31st, 2010 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Thanks Biggi. I have been trying to determine age on the ZS, but really don't know. There is so little in print about them. This one is without history past the mid 1970's when a friend and I acquired it from an estate sale. And there was no record in the paperwork of the estate. That little sight is the subject of continued discussion. There is no magnification in it, so whether it would be allowed would be up the the interpretation of the individual Scheutzenmeister I suppose. I use it for the ZS Postal match I host, and discussion there has made it's use OK. What do the ASSRA folks feel about this? Has ANYONE ever seen a  another sight like this? And if I had mounted it on my TD Scheutzen, would it be allowed? Thanks for your help Biggi  and I look forward to comments from our other members. Smiley

Trapdoor Dick NieKamp

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. - Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 
Send TopicPrint