Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Schützen - Zimmerstutzen (Read 109571 times)
feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Re: Schützen - Zimmerstutzen
Reply #15 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Yes, this video is made last year at Innsbruck-Hötting, Austria. Next week, we will have again a free shooting competition there.

And this is Maishofen (Austria) last spring: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Biggi

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #16 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

I am delighted to see you joining in the conversation here.  You have so much to add on a subject that has tantalized many of us for many years!  Please know that you are as welcome "as flowers in Spring" as we say here in the South Eastern US.

I have a question about a zimmer that I would like to ask of you and your group, and that has to do with the parlor pistols.  I saw a little break top pistol at an auction, and it just seemed to follow me home.  It appears to be intended to shoot a round ball about the size of #6 shot (American sizing) using little or no powder and the ignition provided by a #10 or #11 percussion cap.  It is unmarked as to maker, but appears European since we never had that sort of thing here as far as I can determine.

Would you or one of your organization be interested in discussing this piece with me with the idea that maybe I can someday figure out how to shoot it safely?  Thanks in advance for any help you may provide and again welcome to the ASSRA forum!

Regards,
Charlie Shaeff
aka Green Frog

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Hello GreenFrog Charlie!

If I can help you in some facts, I'll try to do so. But I don't know everything and my english is not sooo good. But I'll try...  Smiley

If I've understood your writing (with support of my dictionary), so you want to know something about a "Salon Pistole" (parlor pistol) which you have never seen before. But you have it now at home?

So it would be the best, if you can post a photo of it. So I can have a look on it and perhaps I can find something equal in an old catalogue.

Hint: We are no organization, we are a circle of friends for old german target rifles. What we do is "honorary work" and the riflemen-guys call me "mother of traditional shooting"...  Wink 
...because I had two years ago the funny idea to create the feuerbixler-website.

Best regards from Munich (now in the middle of the night!)
Biggi

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #18 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick response, Biggi!  Yes I do have this little pistol at home, but am at a shoot right now about 300 km away from there, so will have to wait until Sunday afternoon (our time) to shoot a picture and post it.

Thanks for gently reminding me about my English... I tend to use a lot of idiomatic phrases as I post, but that is not at all polite to our guests who speak English as a second language.  If we had to depend on my very poor German, I would take all night just to send greetings, I fear!  I am very grateful to have a German speaker to make it possible for us to connect with the classic information from the old European hot spots of Schuetzencraft.  Cheesy

In one of your posts, you asked about the target we shot here, and I got excited about my question and forgot to answer.  Most of our shooting is done on a target series referred to as the "German Ring Target" which was standardized in its American version about 40-50 years ago and is printed under ASSRA control to insure that everyone associated with the association shoots under equal target conditions, at least.  If I remember correctly, they are available for 200, 100, 50 and 25 yards, simply scaled up or down in size as appropriate.  They have a white center ring valued at 25 points, then each ring out reduces in value by one point until you run out of paper, this value is 15 points on the full size paper.  Any hit on the paper but outside the scoring rings counts as 10 points.  The shooter puts 10 shots on the target usually, and extra hits are penalized by counting the lowest 10.  The Western edition of ASSRA, called ISSA, has a nearly identical target and scores it the same way, as does Wyoming Schuetzen Society and probably some others.

It seems from your statement that you have become a sort of "Mother Superior" to a bunch of shooting enthusiasts... bless you for your patience and willingness to serve such a function.  I'm out of letters now but will write more with the picture.

Froggie

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Hi Froggie!

Then we will proceed like you propose: post the picture on Sunday and then we go on with the examination.
Cheesy

Now I have to leave my computer for going to a small Zimmerstutzen shooting competition about 130km far from home. On Sunday I will be back.

Thanx for your detailed information about the used targets by ASSRA. It's interesting to see how the targets are different all over the world.

Have a nice weekend and always good bull's eye shots!

Biggi

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
A belated Welcome to this forum, Biggi.  We at the Redwood Gun Club and the associated Long Prairie Gun Club in far northwestern California have 6 or 8 Schuetzen matches a year, all offhand shooting and all using the ASSRA or Wyoming Schuetzen Union (WSU) target.  The WSU target differs only in the shade of red used on the colored portion.  We have 12 or 15 regular shooters and 6 or 7 of us use the old German rifles regularly.  We elderly shooters all shoot offhand, but sometimes we sit down between shots. Our oldest competitor is 82.  Our 200 yard matches are 30 shots.  We also shoot an all-day, 100-shot match in early October.

A few of us also have an informal practice each Friday at noon, weather permitting.  We shoot 22 rimfire Schuetzens at short range, 50 shots, with 2 shots at each of 25 targets.

Our range is 100 & 200 yards, but only about 200 yards from the sea.  Wind is often a problem.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
The Bisley Schutzen comps are all standing--but: they are shot as part of a group of 200yd competitions which include some Historic prone shoots. The target has the standard NRA (British) 300yd scoring areas for all the 200yd comps in the Historic Arms meeting and is not an authentic Schutzen Target with lots of scoring rings. I am the worlds most useless prone shooter and so I avoid it: I shoot the standing comps with the Schutzen rifle and also the black powder military cartridge rifle with my 71/84 Mauser. There are lots of other classes, but there are also lots of other competitions at lots of other distances going on all over Bisley Camp and you have to choose what you have time for. Last year, most of the prone rifle shoots (up to 600yds) in the Classic period (1891 to 1918) were won by the German Contingent who, for some reason, mostly shoot Lee-Enfields!
Fred

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #22 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Mike65 wrote on Apr 23rd, 2010 at 11:42am:
Go to Google and put in Feuerbixler and then hit translate.

Mike

Thanks Mike! Not perfect but gets the job done.  Now I'll never learn German!  Cry 

Joe. 

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #23 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Welcome Biggi,

It’s an honor for all of us to have you on our website! I know there are lots of questions we would like to ask you, and you probably have some questions of your own. It’s wonderful to watch your rifle matches in Austria, because long ago our schutzen matches were offhand only and were run much like yours. I notice from your videos that your shooters use fixed ammo (ammunition loaded with powder and bullet), do you make your ammo yourselves? Do you cast your own bullets? Do you ever seat your bullet into the throat of the barrel and then load the case and powder separately? Any information you can share with us will be much appreciated.

Bob

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Hello together!

First I have to thank the forum-writers, who gave me in the posts a lot of information to the ASSRA-targets with the circles and the different distances.
Perhaps it is possible to post some photos of your 200 yard target? (If I can get enough information about traditional shooting in US, I would create a new headline on my homepage with the facts of "Stutzen-Shooting in USA" or something like that...)  
Roll Eyes

If you have questions: ask me! I'll try to answer to all your questions.
Smiley

But I have also a question to your shooting-practise: How do you check the shot into the target by the long distance? Do you have a telescop? Do you have "scorer-boys" near the target (don't know what is "Zieler" in English) who display the hit in any way? You have mobile targets on wires, which you can move to the shooter?

About ammo: 

We have only the already at-home-prepared ammo (bullet and powder in the jacket). An other kind of shooting is "Vorderlader", where you put bullet, powder and the primer separately into the rifle. 

For preparing the cartridges at home, first you have to make a preparatory training and take a examination, if you are able to make it. Then you have to apply for a license at the responsible authority of your city. If you are "clean" (not a known murder or bank robber or drinker... *big*grin*), you can get a few months later your "Pulverschein" for buying the powder. And you have to pay about 200$ for the powder-license.

Then you buy all components for the reloading-machinery, the jackets, the bullets and all you need - then you can start! But you need a lot of practise, until you have found the best adequacy of powder and plugging.

So long, have a nice day!

Biggi

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2010 at 2:24pm by feuerbixler »  

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
I can only speak for the Redwood Gun Club.  No one is permitted to mark or score targets while we are shooting.  Everyone must be behind the shooters.  This is for safety.

We use spotting telescopes and can almost always see the holes made by bullets in the 7.5 or 8mm size or larger.  Most shooters have personal telescopes and check the target after each shot.  The red color in the target is a great help and it is much easier to see holes in the red target rather than the black.  Sometimes we shoot the 22 rimfire at 200 yards and then it is very difficult to see bullet holes unless conditions are just right.  We shoot 30 shots and then walk to collect our targets.  We bring back the targets and score them away from the shooting, in a shed we made so that you can get out of the rain.  If a shooter wants to check sight settings during or before a match, we have 2 iron gongs at the side of our targets.  A helper can see the hits on the gong and usually you can hear the hits, unless there is a lot of shooting.

Our rules call for lead-alloy bullets only, no jacketed bullets, with a minimum caliber of .25 or 6.35 mm.  Bullets can be loaded "fixed" into the cartridge case with powder and primer.  Or they can be "breech-seated", loaded into the rifle barrel ahead of the chamber.  If you do that, the cartridge is really a blank, with powder & primer, but without a bullet.  About 1/5 of our shooters use black powder.  The rest use smokeless.  We make ammunition at home because very few places sell cartridges for our old type rifles.  Loading ammunition at the range is permitted, but the range is very damp and windy.

Some of us use the old German-type rifles.  Some use the older American type of Schuetzen.  Some use other single shots, usually old military or hunting types.  Infrequently, someone brings a muzzleloading rifle.  They are a lot of work.

Our rules also say "no optical sights".  We use mostly American tang sights but some use the old German sights.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 6:20pm
Print Post  

Hello waterman!

Our shooting is always like this: one serial is 5 shots. Our target has 10 circles. So you can hit maximum 50 circles. Normally we shot 6 serials, this are 30 shots.

Our ranking depends on "best serial with five shot" and not the total 30 shots sum-up. So we have to change the target all five shots. On our 100meter/90yard ranges in Germany we have target holders on wires with an electric motor to pull in the targets for changing each five shots.

In Austria, there are those fantastic old historical ranges, where the "scorer-boy" is sitting under a safe-protection below the target. After the rifleman's shot, the scorer-boy checks the result and puts a special target signaling-disc into a board, so you can see what you hit. In the clubhouse behind the rifleman is sitting a "writer", who writes down onto your personally "scoring card" the hits you reached. So in Austria only the scoring-card is the valid voucher-document (called "Bolette") for your hits. You never see the target (telescopes are forbidden!) and you have to trust the scorer-boy what he shows with the signaling-disc.

You can see that on my homepage in headline "Wissenswertes" ("Worth knowing") in the chapter "Zieler-/Schreiber-Stände" ("scorer-writer-ranges"). There I explain the historical ranges, how it works.

In Bavaria, there are only two old scorer-writer-ranges left. All the other ranges are with wire to pull-in the target. In Austria there are still a lot of those historical ranges (about 10 or more I think).

Ääähhhmm, I hope you understand all this about the writer-scorer-ranges, what i try to explain...
Huh

Greetings from Bavaria
Biggi

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #27 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Biggi,

I will try to answer some of your questions, and hopefully others will answer more of them, in 1900 schutzen matches here in the US were conducted very formally, much like your matches in Austria, all shooting was offhand, each shooter bought a “shooting card” which was scored by a Schutzenmeister, after each shot was fired the score was indicated by scorers in the target bunker, and the schutzenmeister wrote your score on your card. There were often very valuable prizes offered and a good shooter could make a fine living by shooting in matches, the old schutzen clubs were very prestigious with many members much like modern country clubs.

Today, our matches are much less formal; we shoot 22 rim fire at 100 yards and center fire at 200 yards. Each shooter has a spotting scope (telescope) to keep track of his or her score, and yes, some of our best shooters are women. There is a time limit to each match depending on the number of shots; matches are usually 20 shots, 50 shots or 100 shots, ten shots on each target. In the larger matches the schutzenmeister has everyone retrieve their neighbor’s targets; the targets are then taken to a “scoring room” where a team of scorers carefully score each target, and then the scores are posted for all to see. Shooters are not allowed to touch their targets until they have been scored; there is usually a protest period so that any questions regarding scoring can be resolved before the final score is posted.

Bob
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2010 at 8:26pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Hi Bob.

Yes, I see some of you know the old regulations of historical shooting. *great* Thanx for explication of the former and nowadays regulations in USA.

Also in Germany, the old 1900's schützen-clubs (for 8.15x46R center-fire) were only for the high society. The normal worker didn't have any possibility to go there. The working class rifle was only the zimmerstutzen. 

In our competitions nowadays, we shoot on the one hand with Feuerstutzen (only 8.15x46R with lead bullets) and on the other hand with Zimmerstutzen (4 millimeters). Normally there are only two women who shoot there with Feuerstutzen. In Zimmerstutzen-competition there are about 10 or 15 women. 

After competition, the organisation-committee with his scoring-experts get the targets (when shooting onto paperboard-targets) or the shooting cards (when shooting with a writer on old scorer-ranges) for calculating the final scores and the ranking. Sometimes we have also a protest period, but only in Germany, unusual in Austria...

Biggi

« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2010 at 5:11am by feuerbixler »  

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #29 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 5:23am
Print Post  
Great form Biggi!

I think this is a German shooter. I met him once in Golden Colorado in the 1980's. Then I saw him at the ASSRA match at Etna Green. He was shooting a very nice Miller rifle. Do you know him? I think maybe Bob knows his name. I cant remember.

Joe.  Smiley

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Send TopicPrint