Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody? (Read 59320 times)
BillOregon

Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody?
Sep 22nd, 2008 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
I saw the ad for the new Peabody being made by Providence Tool in the SPG news. Has anyone handled or shot one of these rifles yet?

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody?
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
I have had a chance to look at them and also shoot one at or Summer match. It was a prototype in 40-65. Had a few issues but not all that bad. Two were on the line for our fall match and the owners tried them out and seemed happy. I had knee surgery and was not able to shoot this time.
One of the owners came to the matches and was interested in getting comments from people. I have on on order and will be able to give a better report when I have it in hand. I will ask if either o0f the sort of locals that now have one are willing to talk on line don't even know if they are on line.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

BillOregon

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Laurie: Thanks for the comments. Hope your knee heals quickly. How long has your rifle been on order?

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
I was also at the match this spring and fall.  Laurie stated it correctly about the rifle it was the prototype.  One new shooter to our match ordered after wards,  and has lready recieved and is very happy with the way that it shoots.  For being a new shooter he states that he has shot some very good groups with it.  If I can remember how to post pictures on the news group I will post the picture of the fellows that got to shoot it for the first time.  infact the new shooter that ordered his rifle at the summer match also won the off hand king target that was shot at 200yds with the Peabody. I also have ordered my new Peabody Which will be the display rifle at the Wisconsin NRA that will be heald in Eau Claire, Wi in Febuary.   Again I look at the price of an all American made rifle, with American components  for less than an import  $1400.00.   

Bill Flanagan

IP Logged

maudite
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Hi
Could you give me a description of the Rough and Ready version of the Peabody rifle

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Sir
I am a proud owner of a new Peabody by Providence tool. After shooting the prototype at the Eau Claire spring match I knew that one should be mine. Mine is chambered in 45-70. Very happy so far, I am new to the sport and I am getting lots of help for a friend. He is doing the reloading I just shooting and having fun. My last time out we had around a 2 inch group. Only 87 round thru the gun but all is well Cheesy
Tommy Auger

tommyauger

IP Logged

gunner69
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Frank,  VERY nice looking rifle.  Would be nice in 38-55 or 40-64 I will bet.  What kind of pressures can the action take?

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Frank, I really applaud your efforts to reincarnate the Peabody rifle lineup.  Sure do wish, though, that you had not used the model names from the Peabody Martini rifles...could be real confusing to some shooters and, of course, collectors.

Wish I had been able to get to eclair, but the weather that weekend (floods, and associated nastiness) stopped me for the first time in years.

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 8:04am
Print Post  
I'll have to side with 38_cal on this - if you're going to call it What Cheer, then it had better look like the original Providence What Cheer  - this just causes confusion...   

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 9:35am
Print Post  
I have to agree about this. This putting What Cheer and Kill Deer on the these Peabodys is a bit disconcerting. The What Cheer and a Kill Deer were Peabody Martini's. 

I applauded you reintroducing the Peabody. It is a welcome addition to the field.  But I now am having some second thoughts about buying one.  

But putting What Cheer or Kill Deer on a Peabody denigrates the rifle and is gross mislabling.  It's about like labeling a Ford F150 as a Corvette.

Don't do it.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

gunner69
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Frank,  Thanks for making the Peabody again,  WTF, call them WHATEVER blows your skirt up.  When I get the bucks up I will probably get one in 40-65 as a woods rifle.  It should look nice between my Sharps 45-70 and Sharps 38-55.  You can't please EVERYONE,  but as long as your customers are happy who cares? Grin Cool

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Back in the late 60s I used an original (+/-) in .45/70 as a hunting rifle, climbing over blowdowns and in a canoe.  It was a GREAT rifle for that sort of hunting.  I no longer hunt, but that .33 WCF gets my attention.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
The names seem fine to me. The rifle doesn't appear to be a slavish copy, so I see no harm in using period names on them. Bravo! for bringing them out.

In the spirit of the Little Sharps, you're welcome to scale the current model down for the .357 and other cartridges of a 3/8 inch head size. Smiley

I really look forward to handling a Kill Deer in .33 WCF.

Karl
IP Logged

32-35

Reply #13 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Frank,

Don't worry about the trivial complaints on what you name the rifles.  Modern Sharps have names such as "Saddle Rifle" and the "Quigley Model", and I'm not aware of any confusion it has caused collectors. The original Peabody Side Hammer Sporter had no catchy names from the factory. Since you have chosen to give your rifles names to differentiate the various models, it is certainly appropriate that you have decided on names used by the original Providence Tool Company and not some modern jazzed up names.

Good Luck with your venture.

John Gross

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 10:10am
Print Post  
I may find the name use objectionable, but it won't stop me from wanting and buying.  Something I intend to do after the first of the year. 

Just because we don't like the name doesn't mean we don't like the rifle, so be nice to us. 

I am also with Gert, make your next project a large Francotte action.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Doug and Gert.As you two have all the good martin's stashed. Grin Grin Reproduceing some could be a good idea. Whitey

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Whitey, I can't speak for Gert but  I was very excited to see the reintroduction of the side hammer Peabody and I will have one.   

As much as I would like to see someone take up the Francotte Martini, the topic here is the Peabody.  Think we should show the Folks at Peabody some courtesy and stay on topic.   

Questioning giving the Peabody the name of a famous Martini, I would think is still on topic.

But then I guess since Frank did bring it up we should pester him about making the large Francotte.  But lets let him get this Peabody going first then we'll push him for the Francotte Martini.  He said he can do, we see later if he can.  I'm willing when he is ready to loan him my Rifle for copying.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Doug you are right 1st things first. Grin As I have two orginal side hammer peabodys that I have not decided what to do with yet.
But that does not stop me from liking martini's also. send me a test email at  whanson@plainstel.com. And will send you a pcture of my new martin'i toy. Whitey

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #18 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Sirs
I find it very interesting reading what people have to say about the Peabody. Being new to the sport of Black Powder shooting I may be a little under informed. But I will say after starting with a friends used  Highwall in a 45-70 the feel and the handling of my Peabody is the cats meow. My groups are getting better everytime out. Tommy Bates my blackpowder guru is making outstanding loads for me and I hope to meet some of you gentleman at some up coming shoots. I will be the long haired tatooed kid making the peabody sing. Thanks for keeping the sport going for the younger crowd. TOMMY AUGER Cool Cool

tommyauger

IP Logged

podufa

Reply #19 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Good easy way to get out of that.

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Quote:
There are obviously several Martini experts and enthusiasts here; I didn't realize that so many shooters were so passionate about the Martini system. With regard to building the Martini large frame with the Francotte take down system, we certainly can do it, and it looks like a project with which we are interested. Especially if you think there is sufficient commercial market for the sales of at least 100 guns per year. (We should, however, discuss the advisibility of including the takedown feature on a target rifle, no matter how rigid it may be.) In many ways, the Martini is a simpler system than the Peabody; the lock and triggers on a Peabody are quite complicated pieces of machinery. In any case, we will need to borrow your sample rifle to disassemble and feed into our Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM), in order to get dimensions and tolerancing, and finally, CNC machining programs. (Original parts usually don't get scratched too much, but they need to be perfectly clean of oil and dirt, as the CMM will pick up that. Also, we will need the original from which to make stock pattterns. We are already working on reamers and brass for the .44-90 Peabody "What Cheer" cartridge, so that will be ready for this rifle. We will also need you to provide $98,500 ($50K up front) to cover all the R&D costs associated with a project like this (this is what we have into the Peabody to date.) You will receive the first rifle built (serial #1) however the $98,500 does not include the cost of the rifle. Delivery will be 24 months from receipt of funds. I realize that this is an agressive schedule, and the development costs are much less than what would normally be for a complex project like this, but our staff is quite efficient. We can begin in Jan 2009, as our CNC machines and our design engineer should have an opening then. Let me know how to proceed, and thanks for your continued interest. Frank.

ROTFLMAO!

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Tar_Baby
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
dd send him the rifle you have with body puddy and paint to cover rust---very nice. Smiley

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
That's a good one Tar Baby!!  No way he gets that gun!  That's my Gopher gun!  Besides it's a small Francotte not a large.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 3:38am
Print Post  
"We have had numerous conversations with collectors and have found that they are mostly an intelligent, well informed group."

Well, this stupid, uninformed collector thinks you just found an easy way out...  Enough said.

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:22am
Print Post  
All kidding and joking aside; projects like this cost big money and we just don't have it right now.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:21pm by »  

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #25 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Frank and anyone interested
I went shooting the peabody yesterday at the Mondovi Wis range. There were a few people that enjoyed handling the gun. Please put your website back on the forum because some of those people would like to look at it. The grouping went OK yesterday I think the shooter(me) let the rifle down. Would anyone out there let me in on some secrets that they have tighten up my groups???Also I would love to meet up with some local guys to shoot sometime and learn more about this great shooting sport. I will come to you if you let me.Thank you very much to the people that has kept this sport going and I hope to do my part in the future. Tommy Grin Grin

tommyauger

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
The New Peabody Rifle; manufactured by the Providence Tool Co.Plymouth, Wi. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);  
See our new models; "What Cheer" "Rough and Ready" "Kill Deer", to be shown in Dec 08.                  

IP Logged

podufa

Reply #27 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Somebody must have removed some of their other post . I wonder why.

IP Logged

ab7wh

Reply #28 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
SmileyJust received my new "Kill Deer" rifle in .33 WCF today and I couldn't be happier!  During the time it was being built, Frank at Providence Tool Co. called many times to make sure it was exactly what I wanted and I can truthfully say it is.

The fit of metal-to-metal and metal-to-wood is especially good, only to be matched by the blue and color case colors.  I've seen several modern attempts at color case hardening and this rifle ranks up there with the best ... not too flamboyant but very honest.  Hope to get my teacher wife to take some digital pictures to send along in the future.

Of course, the proof will be in the firing but if the excellent action of the breechblock, lock and set triggers is any indication, I shouldn't be disappointed.

I'm glad I took the plunge to buy this rifle and recommend the Providence Tool Company and its products very highly.

More news later after flood waters receed and I find time to get back to the loading bench.

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #29 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Sir
That is great to hear I though I might be the only one out there shooting this great gun. I am shooting the Peabody in 45-70 and like it very much. So much that I am having Frank and the crew build me one in a 25-20 wcf shcuetzen rifle. I cant wait to see what they come up with for a stock plam rest and the whole nine yards. Congrats on your kill deer I would sure like to see it sometime. By the way I think the case color ranks up there with the work of the great Mr. Turnbull......

tommyauger

IP Logged

gunner69
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 12:42am
Print Post  
I look for a 38-55 or 40-65 to blow up my skirt.....

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #31 - Jan 24th, 2009 at 12:10am
Print Post  
Frank, glad to hear your not hurt and sorry about the truck. Would your Peabody take the 375 NE 2.5" Flanged?. Think of it as a hornady 405 winchester case cut to 2.5" and necked down to .375 caliber with either a 1x18" twist or 1x16" twist. Suprised that Double D hasn't suggested this already as I know he has a martini set up in this caliber. Have come to the revelation that it would be way cheaper to have you make up a rifle for me than use one of the hi wall actions, fit and chamber a barrel and do the wood and blueing. Every time I see the link to your site I stop and go over there and spend about 15 minutes drooling. You do make some fine rifles. I'd like to stick a good redfield international globe sight up fromt and a redfield international for the rear sight and see what she would do. Take care and hope your aches and pains go away quickly. Frank
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2009 at 12:16am by Singleshotlover »  

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #32 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Gunner69&Singleshotlover
I know Peabody Frank is building a 40-65 for a friend of mine Bill Flanagan. So I know he would beable to make one for you. He also is finishing up a 38-55 for another gentleman. As far as a 375 NE 2.5" flaned wow I myself have never heard of the cartride. I will ask Frank the next time I talk to him. It took a lot of conversation to get him to make me a 25-20wcf when was the 375 NE invented???  I also recieved a new set of sight for my 45-70 an adjustable front with a spirit level and a axtel long range rear tang sight. Frank is going with the folks from axtel sights now.
    Thanks again Tommy Auger

tommyauger

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #33 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 1:02am
Print Post  
The 375 2 3/4 is not appropriate for a side hammer Peabody.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

gunner69
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Frank,  Keep up the good work.  I hope to be a future customer.   Grin

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Unless Frank wishes to standardize on the .45-70 case head, the .375 2 1/2 NE which Singleshotlover mentioned strikes me as a reasonable choice. It dates -- if I recall -- to the late 1890s, and the CIP pressure standard for it is well below that for the .33 WCF. Perhaps DoubleD objects to the cartridge length? The .33 WCF is 2.8" with a 2.1" case vs. about 3.1 and 2.5 for the .375 NE.

Karl
IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #36 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure, but I don't think the  .375 Flanged NE will turn the corner. The 375 Flanged NE was developed in very late 1890's by Holland and Holland.  It just doesn't match the era of the side hammer Peabody

I don't like chambering a rifle just because you can.  The chambering should fit the rifle.   You wouldn't chamber the side hammer Peabody in .307 Winchester, they don't match.   

The Peadody is American rifle and it should be in American calibers. The .375 flanged NE is British.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #37 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 12:35am
Print Post  
Frank, ok according to "custom cartridges" by Ken Howell the 375 2.5 uses origional 375 2.5" cases or 9.3x74 rimmed cases. However the 38-72 uses 375 cal bullets and to make cases we can take the new hornady 405 winchester brass cut them down to 2.5" and voila, we have a cartridge that uses 375 cal bullets either jacket or cast, readily available brass, and with a 1x16 or 1x14" twist should be able to handle up to and including 300 grain jacketed or cast bullets. And it would be an American design course its a little bit late by about a hundred years. But still in keeping the spirit by calling it the 38/405 cartridge. At a guess the whole length of a loaded round with a 300 grain bullet would be about 3" possibly more. Guess that this is mere wishful thinking on my part. But its nice to dream once in awhile. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #38 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Singleshotlover, I'm not sure what you want. You can run .405 brass into a .38-72 die. I don't have the case drawings at hand, so I don't know if you'd need to turn or ream the necks any. You could have a die maker build dies to let .405 brass convert directly to a .375 variant of the .38-72, with the appropriate neck thickness. You could trim the case and thin the rims to make a .375 2 1/2 Flanged NE (I would not follow Ken's suggestion to use 9.3x74R brass). There are dies for the 9.5x74R (a .375), which roughly mimics the various .360 NE's from the era. 

The .375 2 1/2 is a safe bet. The brass is made by Jamison from time to time, and the dies and reamers are standards (set by CIP) with a nice low operating pressure, in the low 30s. It was used in doubles and bolts circa 1900.

You could also do a .38-56 Improved. The bores of that era were variable, so a .375 is reasonable. The case would be bigger than the .375 2 1/2. There's also a .38-70, and it may have actually been a .375.

Karl
IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #39 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 1:19am
Print Post  
KWK, sometimes I get so carried away I tend to confuse other folks. And even myself. What I was looking for is sort of an American version of the 375 2.5 cartridge. Since the 405 brass as made by hornady is reasonably cheap and available that is what I based my version of the 375 2.5 cartridge.
Would be able to use a lee enfield #1MKIII action or even the #4 series actions. But having seen the peabody rifles on their website had thought that it would have been a natural. As you said the pressures are low. Since I'll only shoot a few jacketed rounds through it to see how it shoots, I'll then start using cast bullets. Should be easy to get to shoot accurately. The reason also for the 2.5" length was to allow it to function through a lee enfield magazine. The early lee speed sporters were chambered in the british version of the 375 2.5. Always drooled over them, but being retired, and on a very fixed income there is no way I'll ever get the money in one place and at one time to get one. Classic styling and beautiful rifles. So at least now you can understand my thinking. Course I could always use a P14 action (which I have) and do the same thing. But wouldn't quite be the same. Always liked the single shots, especially the martini's and of course the peabody's. Got a couple smaller ones like the cadet and BSA 12-15. Still have plans on doing a 12-15 into a small 30 caliber cartridge gun. Maybe as I get older (62) I'm trying to go back to the simpler things as far as rifles are concerned. Used to cast my own bullets for a variety of cartridges but have been stagnant for way too long.
Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #40 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 10:07am
Print Post  
If you use the .375 2 1/2 Flanged  with short lead bullets and restrict your OAL to under 3.0 it will just  fit the standard SMLE Magazine.  When load with a Hornady 270 SP the OAL willl be closer to 3.2 inch.  If you try an seat the bullet deeper you get into the ogive.  The 375/303 would a better choice in a SMLE. 

I would be willing to loan my new unused PGS piloted .375 2 1/2 Flanged NE reamer and a dummy round to Peabody to see if the .375 2 1/2 flanged NE round will chamber through the Side Hammer Peabody.

Brass is not an issue for the .375/2 1/2 NE as it is avaialbe from Bertram and Knyoch.  A phone call to Jamison might get you some also.

I still say 375 2 1/2 Flanged NE is the wrong cartridge for the rifle.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #41 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Assuming the cartridge length isn't a problem, I still find the .375 2-1/2 a reasonable chambering. Certainly, it's no more unusual than the .33 WCF, other than -- perhaps -- that older actions to my eye look better with a "fat" cartridge, such as on the .45-70 case head. I think it splendid they offer the rifle in .33 WCF. 

Reflecting on it, I suppose were it my rifle and I wanted a .375, I'd go with the .38-56 improved. The case capacity will be close to the .375 2-1/2 and with the operating pressures of the .33 WCF, it would be a very heavy hitter, all with relatively cheap brass.

Karl
IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the info.We wont bury it, but first plans first.The existing orders to fill come first,R-D the 45-100,and keeping my clients working together to find improvement,so far so good.Future clients,Iam listening,for the little time we started,in the mist of a starting depression,I have never met a nicer bunch of customers and ASSRA members.         

Frank, Providence Tool

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #43 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 1:19am
Print Post  
KWK, couldn't agree more with you on the 375 2.5 cartridge. When funds become available pgt will make a reamer for me that will basically be a 303 british case necked up to 375 caliber with a straight neck one caliber in length. This should work in the lee enfield receiver that I've been working on.
And should be able to seat out 375 cast bullets with the gas check even with the bottom of the straight section of the neck. 
Double D, Thanks for the offer of your reamer to Frank. I too am curious as to wether or not it would make the turn. But please tell me why you do not think this cartridge is wrong for this rifle. Not trying to start any flame wars. 
Frank, thanks for not blowing me off regarding the possible chambering of your beautiful peabody rifle in either the 375 2.5 inch (british version) or mine based on the 405 winchester cartridge. your comments were most welcome. and do understand that a new company in today's economic climate has to do what it must in order to survive and get ahead.
Ive enjoyed all the discussions from all of you. And no one got flamed either. But learned from folks that have way more experience than I do.
Maybe I should take the barrel off the ruger 1 1/2 rifle I have and have someone put on a 375 caliber barrel with 1x14 twist and get it rechambered in my version of the 375 2.5 and a long throat for shooting long 375 cast bullets. Haven't shot it but once and could get douglas barrels tofinish turn a barrel in the varmint taper that they use for their sendero's or varmint synthetics. With the breech of the barrel opened up so as to be able to be installed on the ruger action. Don't think that a 1x12 twist as I first posted will allow higher velocities due to the faster twist. Heck I may be old but the brain is still firing on all 6 cylinders. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #44 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Why wouldn't I put 375 Flanged NE on Side hammer Peabody? I am a traditionalist.

I would match the chambering to the rifle.  I would look to a chambering that was around when the original rifles was produced.  The NE chamberings are from a much later era.  I also would not  put a .358 Winchester on a side Hammer Peabody for the same reason.   

It will be interesting to see if the 45-100 will fit.  With the Martini Henry the longest .45 to fit is the 45/90.  I haven't worked with the Peabody design so I don't know if the 45/100 will turn the corner.

I want one of these rifle's myself. Should my cash flow improve I will order one and ask for a 45 Turkish Peabody...and furnish the reamer.
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2009 at 1:18pm by DoubleD »  

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #45 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 1:09am
Print Post  
According to De Hass the Peabody was made 1865 to 1872. 
Double D, ok no problem as to being a traditionalist at heart I think most of us here are one. I include my self as well. But having said that I'll have to side with KWK as the round was made in the 1890's. The reason I suggested the Hornady 405 winchester case is that its pretty close to 2.5" as it comes out of the box. From what little I've heard about hornady brass is that its good stuff. And takes boxer primers. And if you want to call my rendition of the origional 375 2.5" a copy feel free to do so. Haven't priced Jamison or Kynoch brass. I'm guessing here that jamison would be boxer capable but what about the kynoch?. They still using that big #172 primer?. Or have they seen the light and gone to boxer primers. Take my ruger #3 action, unscrew the stainless 30 caliber barrel. Take a douglass xx bbl in 375 caliber with 1x14 twist, bbl to be 25-26" long setup with globe target front sight and either a good tang sight like from parts unknown. Or even a nice tight redfield international. And you have something. And just for you Double D, can get target blocks mounted and mount my redfield 3200 in 24x. Its already got #1 wood for the buttstock so would have to scrounge around for a suitable forend like from a ruger varmint rifle. What I like is the sound you get when you insert a large caliber cartridge into the breech of a single shot. That nice thunk sound. No other rifle compares. I'd prefer the target sights as I already have five sets. Two internationals and three olympics and oh yeah, forgot the palma sight that came with my cmp H&R model 12 22rf target rifle.The front globe sight did come with a great assortment of inserts for the globe sight.
Always had problems with tang sights. To get my eye up to the apertature in most cases my chin was almost off the stock.But I have to also realize that Frank at Providence has a business to run and a request one of their rifles be chambered for a clone of a british hunting cartridge that's over a hundred years might not be something he'd be willing to tackle when he's got so many other irons in the fire. And he would probably be right not to undertake such a chambering job for an oddball cartridge when he has a bunch already in his line. But man o' man if this were to come to fruition what a rifle it would be. Excuse my ramblings here, sometimes I get carried away. Still worth some serious thought. As far as the barrel is concerned, very few on the sendero shape  Keep the present .750 muzzle diameter and enlarge the breech section slightly so as to allow a good fiton the ruger#3 breech face, Have the barrel and metalwork matte bead blasted including the lever and the action. With the longer barrel you would have adaquate sight radius. ans have the option of either glass or metallic sights,Should not be too much trouble to find a good smith that worked on the ruger#3 action.Of course the extractor  would have to 
be altered or someone could persuade ruger to turn loose one of thei extractors that they used on the #3 single shot when they were making the carbines and rifles in 405 winchester. Food for thought gentlemen. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #46 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Kynoch stopped using Berdan primers 40 years ago.   

.375/404 Wildcat Okay in a Ruger 3, no go in the side Hammer.

The .404 has a larger thicker rim and a smaller head.  smaller diameter will raise pressure a little.  Besides .375 Flanged brass is readily available.  So why bother to modifiy the rim seat to just use 404 brass and generate possible firing problems when using correct brass.

I am unaware of any 375 Flanged BPE. There is a .360 2 1/4 BPE and it generates 10 TSI of pressure. That uses 55 grains of blackpowder with a 155 grain bullet.  If you use a 270 or 300 grain bullet pressures are going to be higher. The .375/303 with a 215 grain bullet will generate 18  TSI with nitro powder.  The .375 Flanged with a 270 grain bullet is 14.5 TSI.   

I don't think I would want to shoot cartridges of these pressures in an original Side Hammer Peabody.  The Side Hammer Peabody Frank is making is made with modern material and is surely stronger. But it still an old design and has inherent design weaknesses.  I'll let Frank address that.

As to the Ruger.  I might chamber it in .375 Flanged, but would be more inclined to chamber it in .375 Flanged Magnum.  I have that reamer and brass also.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #47 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
DD, read both yous and Frank's post. At this point I grudgeingly have to admit your right. And since Frank has the final say so regarding the strength of his actions/rifles I've hit a dead end. But, the 405 winchester case is about 
2.5380 in length. To get to 2.5" yes I'll have to trim and possibly neck ream.
My reasoning for using the 405 win case is because its available right now and can be used in both the ruger #3 with suitable caliber barrel and same goes for the #1MKIII or the #4 MI orMKII series actions. But since you brought up the fact that if I go to a 270 grain bullet I run out of magazine room. Hence my suggestion of using a ruger #3 action. And since I have on hand a limited supply of speer 235grain 375 bullets would revert to shooting cast bullets. Kynoch brass is an unknown to me. The only time I ever used any was Kynoch 1960 30-06 ammunition. At that time was still berdan primed. Jameison brass I have heard has or had problems regarding sizing of the rims and case heads. Has this situation been corrected?. Maybe my version of the 375 2.5" differs slightly from the British one. So what??. I won't have to depend on foreign sources for brass. Not to insult anyone here by the way. Molds abound in 375 caliber.
PGT can grind a reamer set (rougher and finisher) good 375 blanks or preturned barrels are easy to get. And since the standard length for the 303 british case is about 2.222 or thereabouts I'm only going for the last 1/4" or so to get what I want. Ruger shurely still has 30-40 krag extractors so that should not be a problem. And if thet won't sell any a good smith can rework a 45-70 extractor down to 30-40 krag size. In my mind its doable based on using the ruger #3 action or the enfield actions previously mentioned. In fact due to the lower breech pressure of the 375/405 winchester pressures in a lot of single shot actions would not be a problem. I have a rifle that could be the next 375/405 winchester. Will it be the hottest thing since ice cream NOPE. Just one mans take on a classic british cartridge using basically off the shelf components. Who knows, maybe Frank in his pressure testing and the use of strain guages will allow him to up the safe lever at which these actions/rifles can safely operate. This may or may not happen due to safety concerns. That I understand. His main concern is to provide a product that will be safe, accurate and pleasing to the eye. So far nothing I have seen has led me to believe otherwise. In fact I wish him a very successful venture into what could become a viable alternative to the plethora of sharps, ballards, high walls, rolling blocks and so forth at black powder matches. Imaging showing up at Raton with a side hammer peabody and commencing to knowk down the chickens, turkeys, pigs,rams and buffaloes and doing it with a modern recreation of an 1870 style hammer gun. Well I've rambled on way too long. Hope you gents forgive me and apologize in advaance for taking up your time. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #48 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:28am
Print Post  
405 winchester case is about 
2.5380 in length. To get to 2.5" yes I'll have to trim and possibly neck ream.

Frank first the 405 case. 

First the .405 case won't work in .375 NE chamber.  The diameter of the rim is greater and the rim is thicker. If you put the 405 in a side hammer Peabody chambered for a .375 Flanged NE, the breech block will not close.   

If you deepen the rim seat so the .405 will chamber in the .375 Flanged NE  then the Flanged will be out of head sopace and my misfire or extrude primers and lock up the breech block.

Also when you fire the .405 in the .375 Flaged NE cahmber the .405 brass is goign to bulge right in front of the web.

You can make a .405/375 2.5 or a .375 Flanged NE but they are not interchangable.

We are talking about chamberings for the Side Hammer Peabody here in this topic not developing a new cartridge.

Your discussion about making  a new .375 2.5 cartridge is interesting, but that topic is about the side Hammer Peabody.  So any discussion of you new cartridge gets mixed in and diluted by trying to relate it to the Peabody.

Another reason, I prefer to stay traditional is these old designs were built with the cartridges of the era in mind.  They did not take into consideration future higher pressure cartridges. The original Peabody was a rimfire rifle. 

I see nothing wrong with you building your .405/375 2.5 on the guns you mentioned.  The magazine guns of course has length problems.
Why don't you reopen your old topic for more discussion on this cartridge. I encourage you to build your idea. 

I don't see it as vialbe in a Side Hammer Peabody.

Jamison brass did put out a lot of 5000 rounds of 577/450 brass that was bad.  They also stood behind their product and replaced the brass for anyone who turned the brass in. I had some of that bad brass and it worked just fine in all my rifles. I didn't turn mine in. I left it with the rifles in South Africa.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #49 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Frank, my hats off to you or anyone who can shoot at 1000yds. The longest that I've shot at was 200yds. I have cataracts and last eye exam was told that they weren't "bad" enough to get operated on yet. Jeeze can't a guy get a break??. Good luck at the matches. 
DoubleD, thanks for setting me straight about the Jamison brass. At least it was good to hear about someone backing up their product. Which is all to sadly lacking in today's world. Good idea about reopening my topic about converting or creating yet another 375 cartridge. If its ok with the Moderators and the folks here would like to do just that. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #50 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Frank, love the 1895 winchester. Have an origional saddle ring carbine in 30-40 krag. Spent the better part of two weeks getting the barrel cleaned as well as the other parts. Unfortunately the barrel mounted rear sight went south since it was made in 1915. So bubba (man does he get around) cut a dovetail and stuck a semi buckhorn sight and removed the front sight blade and replaced it with one made out of a silver dime. And to add insult to injury used a brad nail as the pin and peened both ends in place. Read somewhere (strobel's old gun sights) that the musket version was available with the 1901 krag barrel sight. Will have to dig out my 1898 krag and see if its true. It has the 1901 rear sight. What I did regarding the aperture opening on receiver mounted rear sights such as lyman or williams is stick the aperture in the lathe and open it up as large as possible without actually cutting into the threaded shank. Then cold blue
any bright metal. Besides the cataracts the other problem is trying to focus
through the aperture. Small aperture openings just do not let in enough light so that's why I opened it up. Did the same thing on the aperture on my bsa 12/15 martini 22rf. It worked for me. Didn't want to get the barrel
drilled and tapped for scope bases. You wouldn't know how high the blade front sight on the 1895 scr in 30-40 krag is??. If I cannot find one high enough will have to cut and file one out. Even with the larger aperture on the rear sight I still have to use the largest insert on the lyman 17 series globe front sight. Have a doctor's appointment scheduled and being a type2 diabetic doesn't help any either. Thanks Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #51 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Singleshotlover, email me at moodyholler@cox.net for a front sight for that 1895 caribiner. I have a new Marbles from way back. Later, moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #52 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
new picture of one of Frank and the crews new KILL DEER  Tommy

tommyauger

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #53 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
The caliber of this kill deer is in 38-55. I orderd one in a 33wcf I need to give up this sport its killing my savings account.But what the hell I can make more money. Tommy Auger

tommyauger

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #54 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Frank
writing to check on my 25-20 wcf. I am sure it is looking good I cant wait to see it. I am wondering if anyone on this site could give me their thought on the 25-20wcf as a 200 yard schuetzen cartridge. Is a 90 gain bullet large enough to fight the wind???I was also told that I would not be able to breechseat the bullet in the peabody action, Has anyone ever breechseated a peabody?.  thanks Tommyauger

tommyauger

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Just ask 38Cal how he breechseats in his BSA 12/15 - he came up with a pretty nifty lay-out with essentially an extension pin on the revceiver which served as fixed point for the breechseater.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Send me a pm with your email address, and I'll be glad to reply with photos of how I did it on my Martini 12/15 in .35 caliber.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

French Jack
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 10:31am
Print Post  
I recently received my Peabody "Kill Deer" from Frank at Providence Tool.  I am tickled to death with it.  I opted for the curly maple straight stock with a #3 octagon barrel from Badger.  Lyman #21 sight as made by Providence.  The caliber is one of my favorites, 38-56 WCF.  The action and barrel breech was engraved by Jim Downing, and after the super case hardening job, looks absolutely beautiful.

It was worth every penny and the wait was reasonable as well.

I fired a few shots to initially set the sights, and it does well with my favorite load:  330 gr. Postell 20-1, 52 gr. FFG Wano, plastic wad cut from milk jug, drop tubed and compressed 1/4 " with compression die, Fed 215 primer. Remington cases.  Velocity is 1200 fps, with 3fps deviation.

Great job, Frank, and thanks again for the beautiful rifle.

Bob

IP Logged

doubs43
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Having looked at the Providence Tool web site and without reading all of the 4 pages of posts, I have a statement & question.

I need good vernier tang sights and I don't see a tang to which a sight can be mounted. Will a tang be available on the rifle at any time?

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #59 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
peabody photo
This is a 45-70 that is going to a lucky guy.  The  first whatcheer ...Frank I hope the wood on my 25-20 looks this nice Tommy

tommyauger

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #60 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
another photo  I think the photots will be in Feb/mar Guns of the Old West.  Tommy

tommyauger

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #61 - Dec 15th, 2009 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
doubs43

the peabodys all come with a tang to attach the tang sight too.

sportslube

IP Logged

doubs43
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 11:18am
Print Post  
sportslube wrote on Dec 15th, 2009 at 7:03pm:
doubs43

the peabodys all come with a tang to attach the tang sight too.

sportslube

Thank you Sportslube. Looks like I need to start saving my pennies! They really are an elegant rifle.... and I want one!  Smiley

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #63 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
doubs43

send me an email and I will send a picture look down at the tang so that you have a top look if you would like one.  if you dont need top look thats ok to 

bill sportslube@aol.com

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #64 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
very nicely done Tim.  Need to send you another stick or two for you to do after i get my Peregrine sporting rifle back
sportslube

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #65 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 12:23am
Print Post  
All I can say is that I'm quite impressed with Frank's peabody's. Now if those in power want to take pity on me, I'd have one for myself. Great work. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:
All inquieries are made by phone only.Dont have time to sit by a computer!You can call from 9am till 8pm c/t 920-893-9675.The catalogs will be ready      after feb 30th.                                                                                                   Frank                                               Smiley Smiley

Feb 30th???? Grin Shocked

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
I talked to Tim at Classic Checkering,I guess he talked to Mike Venturino, he is going to write an article in the Rifle mag,sometimes this year.Also Tim got the approval from the NRA on the modified stock to be used at Raton NM.His MVA sights should  be in this week.Iwill have the gun at the Kansas City NCOWS convention next week.Also this weekend at the Eau Claire show.Lots of interesting phone calls from the article in Guns of the Old west mag.  Thats it for now.  Frank   Smiley Wink

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #68 - Mar 10th, 2010 at 8:08am
Print Post  
NRA approval letter

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 26 KB | Downloads )

tommyauger

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
The new catalog has been a great success.Achieved more customers,friends,European and Australian sales.Phone inqueries are much more successful,and gain more friends.Call in,and I will send you one.Oh, by the way,wait till you see Tim Lyons's Raton Model Peabody that He will qualify and use this summer in NM.Built to NRA qualifications.Cost,very high 4 g's.Tommy Augers, DAS SCHUETZEN Peabody will be shown May 15th at the Eau Claire spring open.1 st of its kind. Thats it for now.   920=893=9675      Frank   Smiley Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2010 at 10:59pm by »  

IP Logged

alemonkey

Reply #70 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
I'm jealous.  That's a beautiful rifle.

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #71 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
I agree, beautiful rifle Tim.

How high a front sight do you need to get on target at 100yd with the tang sight sitting as high as it is at it's lowest setting?
The reason I ask is because I have a new Ruger #1 with a tang sight that sits fairly high.
The Sharps, Remingtons, and Stevens rifles have more drop to their tangs so front sight height usually isn't a problem.
I'm thinking I will need one about 3/4" from the top of the barrel to the center of the sight to be on at 100yd with the rear sight at the bottom. 
I think Brownell's used to sell a plastic front sight that could be trimmed to find the right height, but I don't see them on their web site anymore.
Steve  Smiley

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #72 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Steve, are you on paper at all?  How about if you stack a couple of targets vertically, and aim at the lower one?  If so, you can compute exactly what you'll need to change the front sight to be at the right elevation.  Move the rear sight up about 1/8" from dead bottom and shoot a group (five shots) holding on the bottom target.  Measure from the center of the bottom target to the group center vertically.  Measure your sight radius (distance from the rear sight to the front).  Multiply the amount of correction needed by the sight radius, and then divide by the distance to the target...all measurements in inches.  Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you are 24" off from your desired point of impact, and you have 34" of sight radius.  24x34=816, divide that by 3600 (inches in 100 yards if that's where you're shooting) for a correction of .227" that you would add to your existing front sight to get your group centered on the bottom target.  This formula also works for windage adjustments.  The reason you need to be off of dead bottom when doing this exercise is so that you can fine tune down if needed...it's really rare when front sights or sight bases will be at exactly the height needed!   

HTH,
David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 9:53am
Print Post  
"Interesting related point;  my friend Clarence Dykstra, claims that his  POI is 2-1/2 MOA higher at Raton NM. than it is in southern Mississippi because of the higher elevation, thinner air, etc."

To help understand:

The density of air, ρ (Greek: rho) (air density), is the mass per unit volume of Earth's atmosphere, and is a useful value in aeronautics and other sciences. Air density decreases with increasing altitude, as does air pressure. It also changes with variances in temperature or humidity. At sea level and 20 °C, air has a density of approximately 1.2 kg/m3.

The density of dry air can be calculated using the ideal gas law, expressed as a function of temperature and pressure:

\rho = \frac{p}{R \cdot T} \,

where ρ is the air density, p is absolute pressure, R is the specific gas constant for dry air, and T is absolute temperature.

The specific gas constant for dry air is 287.05 J/(kg·K) in SI units, and 53.35 (ft·lbf)/(lbm·R) in United States customary and Imperial units.

Therefore:

* At IUPAC standard temperature and pressure (0 °C and 100 kPa), dry air has a density of 1.2754 kg/m3.
    * At 20 °C and 101.325 kPa, dry air has a density of 1.2041 kg/m3.
    * At 70 °F and 14.696 psia, dry air has a density of 0.074887 lbm/ft3.
The addition of water vapor to air (making the air humid) reduces the density of the air, which may at first appear contrary to logic.

This occurs because the molecular mass of water (18) is less than the molecular mass of air (around 29). For any gas, at a given temperature and pressure, the number of molecules present is constant for a particular volume (see Avogadro's Law). So when water molecules (vapor) are introduced to the air, the number of air molecules must reduce by the same number in a given volume, without the pressure or temperature increasing. Hence the mass per unit volume of the gas (its density) decreases.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #74 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Glad to be of assistance, Tim.  I learned that formula many years ago, and wrote it on the inside of my safety glasses so I wouldn't forget it!   Grin  Makes it sort of hard to see to set up the mill, though...  Smiley

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #75 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Wish I could say that I remember you, Tim, but I was there for 20 years, 1987-2007, and talked with tons of folks each week.   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #76 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Hi David,
I haven't shot the Ruger yet, I'm just trying to get a feel for how high a front sight I will need and compare that with what's available.
The way I came up with the 3/4" sight height was by taking one of my Shiloh Sharps rifles with the same length barrel and setting the rear tang sight at a known 100yd setting, then taking a piece of heavy thread and running it through the rear sight aperture and then the front aperture insert to form a straight line over the barrel. I then figured the distance from the thread to the center line of the bore at the breech end of the barrel and at the center of the front sight. This gave me the angle between the line of sight and the bore for a 100yd setting.
I then did the same thing with the Ruger with the rear sight at it's lowest setting and the thread suspended over the muzzle end using a magnet on the muzzle. By raising the thread to a point that gave me the same angle to the bore as the Shiloh, I came up with the 3/4" measurement for the front sight height.
This sounds like a lot of work but really only took a few minutes to do.
Like Tim, I'll only be testing loads at 100yd. Most shooting will be done at 200yd+. So if it's a little high at 100yd, no big deal.

Steve  Smiley

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2010 at 9:46pm by sureshot »  

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #77 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Not to be argumentative, Steve, but run your rear sight up a bit from dead bottom before you lock in your front sight height.  You may end up at a 100 yard match and might need the elevation!  Yours is as good a way of guestimating the initial front sight height as any, and probably better than most.   Wink

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Frank, it's a fact of life that you can't keep this crowd strictly on subject for any length of time.   Grin  Just the way it is here, especially when a thread goes on for several months and six pages!   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #79 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
I am very proud of Tim for winning B class at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton NM. I with the ideas of Tim am coming with the Raton and Rough and Ready models.For further information, check out my new web site. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Not affiliated with Peabody Research and Development LC.   Frank

IP Logged

Idaho Sharpshooter

Reply #80 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Interesting that the initial post two years ago showed a $1400 price tag.
The current website shows nearly $4000.  Is that all wood and sights?

Rich

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #81 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
    Rich, I can tell you from first hand experience that my rifle no. 31 was a real disappointment. I kept smoldering as I watched this thread and finally have to say something. A combination of poor fit, casting flaw in receiver, sanding marks in the wood, file marks on the flats of the barrel, incorrect length of pull, and a failure to fire reliably caused me to call Frank and he informed me that at $1750.00 I did not pay for hand polishing. At this point I was asked to return the rifle for another one, and I asked to send in my own wood for project as the semi-fancy I was supplied( and paid for) was a real disappointment. When I asked if the next one would be finished better, Frank became very angry and insisted that I send the rifle back for a refund.
    I have to say there are some very impressive rifles in the gallery of pictures and mine was sure not comparable. Being a project engineer, I have learned over the years to save everything and I have all of the corresponence and 100 or so pictures if anyone wants to see them. Here's to a neat rifle design and I still hope one day to own in 38-56.   Angrymoodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #82 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
I own number 19. and the fit and finish was great.  Checkering done by Tim Lyon was better than i hoped for.  The 4000K price tag you are talking about is for the top of the line creedmore in the 44-95  yes the basic rifle starts at 1400 and goes up from that point.  granted every one has a different look upon how rifles should look and turn out.  I shoot with the fellow that purchased your rifle from Frank and has had great success with it.  I do feel that the Peabody rifle to be an excellent buy for the money and it being made in the USA  for the same or less than one from off shore. Frank has been more that fair with me and has gone over the top in dealing with any questions that i have had.  Several pictures of my rifle have been posted here and the gun has ended up being used in guns of the old west photo shoot and was it on display at Raton this year where the compliments where nummerous.  I would give Frank and order and tell him just want you want and what you want to spend and I am sure that he would deliver.  I have no connection to Frank or his company  just a very happy consumer  buy US not Off shore

\Bill

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #83 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
   Mr. C. C., I am truly glad that your experience with PEABODY LLC exceeds mine in so many ways. If I built rifles for a living I would work hard to keep my checkerer happy. That you were able to stock your own rifle and are affiliated with PROVIDENCE means you did get preferential treatment not extended to others.
   As to the “CHAMPAGNE TASTES”,  you do not know me or my means. My Shiloh and C Sharps products of comparable costs do not have issues.
   That you would buy another Peabody I am sure, since it ALSO will be above average.
   With regards to the rifle refund, most other companies would not have shipped a rifle that unsatisfactory.

PS I am an engineer and I do know quality. That you have started into BPCR is great news, as we need new blood. 

From the poor ‘Holler, ADIOS!

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #84 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Mr. Moodyholler,I want to thank you for you list of unsatisfying complaints,and additional expectational demands which brought up the price from 1600.00 to 2195.00.,plus an exceptional quality control check list,based from your list.It took the Sharps boys  25 years to get where there at.I am right behind them, especially Tim throwing a wrench in B class at Raton.First Peabody ever.The new wax pattern molds will bring new tolerences to within .002 to original Peabody dims.I will have to thank you for the quality ideas.You are still a welcomed customer.The man that bought your gun and sportslube are whooping butts at Eau Claire.If you ever order a gun with checkering,Tim will give you his best.     Frank   Smiley Wink

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Members,I haven't posted for awhile.Iwas too busy with G'ment jobs,and retooling the Peabody.The new receivers will be able to shoot factory loaded smokless.I am coming out with standard Stalkers in kit form,for about $895.00.Just a basic starter that can be upgraded later.In June,check our web for details.We will be machining our stocks with 4th and 5th axis technology.Receivers,castings combined with 4th and 5th axis machining.We have OEM Peabody 43 internal parts for replacement or conversion from rimfire to centerfire.Parts are partially machined,but must be fitted by a gunsmith.You must call or email me on this subject.Also for 1395.00 we will have a basic starter with straight stock,buck horn rear sight, front bead,receiver drilled and tapped for a future Model 21.We will be using herring bone grain ASH.Just as pretty as maple.You will be able to get all models in the 45-100.Round barrels,26 and 28 inch lengths.Winchester oct barrels, 30 to 34 inch.Round,Douglas,oct,Green MTN.All target models models will come with Baldwin Sights rear with Hadley eyepiece.We will be stocking kits and the stalker starter the end of aug 011.They may be ordered thru a dealer. Frank  fwierus@excel.net Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #86 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Correction,we cancelled kits due to added liability clauses.We did modify our Stalker line.We have not raised our prices.We now modified our receivers to shoot factory load smokless.We retooled for faster delivery.I will match the quality and the precision of the American Sharps boys.The 45-100 Peabody now has Hornady dies.It will be a big challenge next year to Raton.All of the Peabody parts have been fully casted and machined to authentic spects.Our fine selection of wood will be walnut cherry.maple when available.and ash.There will be pictures on our Providence web site in a week or two.We also have the North Woods line of bullet lube for smokless and black powder,duck decoys,rifle stock blanks.We went thru some stumbling blocks,but that induced our quality. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint