Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody? (Read 59321 times)
Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Re: Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody?
Reply #45 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 1:09am
Print Post  
According to De Hass the Peabody was made 1865 to 1872. 
Double D, ok no problem as to being a traditionalist at heart I think most of us here are one. I include my self as well. But having said that I'll have to side with KWK as the round was made in the 1890's. The reason I suggested the Hornady 405 winchester case is that its pretty close to 2.5" as it comes out of the box. From what little I've heard about hornady brass is that its good stuff. And takes boxer primers. And if you want to call my rendition of the origional 375 2.5" a copy feel free to do so. Haven't priced Jamison or Kynoch brass. I'm guessing here that jamison would be boxer capable but what about the kynoch?. They still using that big #172 primer?. Or have they seen the light and gone to boxer primers. Take my ruger #3 action, unscrew the stainless 30 caliber barrel. Take a douglass xx bbl in 375 caliber with 1x14 twist, bbl to be 25-26" long setup with globe target front sight and either a good tang sight like from parts unknown. Or even a nice tight redfield international. And you have something. And just for you Double D, can get target blocks mounted and mount my redfield 3200 in 24x. Its already got #1 wood for the buttstock so would have to scrounge around for a suitable forend like from a ruger varmint rifle. What I like is the sound you get when you insert a large caliber cartridge into the breech of a single shot. That nice thunk sound. No other rifle compares. I'd prefer the target sights as I already have five sets. Two internationals and three olympics and oh yeah, forgot the palma sight that came with my cmp H&R model 12 22rf target rifle.The front globe sight did come with a great assortment of inserts for the globe sight.
Always had problems with tang sights. To get my eye up to the apertature in most cases my chin was almost off the stock.But I have to also realize that Frank at Providence has a business to run and a request one of their rifles be chambered for a clone of a british hunting cartridge that's over a hundred years might not be something he'd be willing to tackle when he's got so many other irons in the fire. And he would probably be right not to undertake such a chambering job for an oddball cartridge when he has a bunch already in his line. But man o' man if this were to come to fruition what a rifle it would be. Excuse my ramblings here, sometimes I get carried away. Still worth some serious thought. As far as the barrel is concerned, very few on the sendero shape  Keep the present .750 muzzle diameter and enlarge the breech section slightly so as to allow a good fiton the ruger#3 breech face, Have the barrel and metalwork matte bead blasted including the lever and the action. With the longer barrel you would have adaquate sight radius. ans have the option of either glass or metallic sights,Should not be too much trouble to find a good smith that worked on the ruger#3 action.Of course the extractor  would have to 
be altered or someone could persuade ruger to turn loose one of thei extractors that they used on the #3 single shot when they were making the carbines and rifles in 405 winchester. Food for thought gentlemen. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #46 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Kynoch stopped using Berdan primers 40 years ago.   

.375/404 Wildcat Okay in a Ruger 3, no go in the side Hammer.

The .404 has a larger thicker rim and a smaller head.  smaller diameter will raise pressure a little.  Besides .375 Flanged brass is readily available.  So why bother to modifiy the rim seat to just use 404 brass and generate possible firing problems when using correct brass.

I am unaware of any 375 Flanged BPE. There is a .360 2 1/4 BPE and it generates 10 TSI of pressure. That uses 55 grains of blackpowder with a 155 grain bullet.  If you use a 270 or 300 grain bullet pressures are going to be higher. The .375/303 with a 215 grain bullet will generate 18  TSI with nitro powder.  The .375 Flanged with a 270 grain bullet is 14.5 TSI.   

I don't think I would want to shoot cartridges of these pressures in an original Side Hammer Peabody.  The Side Hammer Peabody Frank is making is made with modern material and is surely stronger. But it still an old design and has inherent design weaknesses.  I'll let Frank address that.

As to the Ruger.  I might chamber it in .375 Flanged, but would be more inclined to chamber it in .375 Flanged Magnum.  I have that reamer and brass also.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #47 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
DD, read both yous and Frank's post. At this point I grudgeingly have to admit your right. And since Frank has the final say so regarding the strength of his actions/rifles I've hit a dead end. But, the 405 winchester case is about 
2.5380 in length. To get to 2.5" yes I'll have to trim and possibly neck ream.
My reasoning for using the 405 win case is because its available right now and can be used in both the ruger #3 with suitable caliber barrel and same goes for the #1MKIII or the #4 MI orMKII series actions. But since you brought up the fact that if I go to a 270 grain bullet I run out of magazine room. Hence my suggestion of using a ruger #3 action. And since I have on hand a limited supply of speer 235grain 375 bullets would revert to shooting cast bullets. Kynoch brass is an unknown to me. The only time I ever used any was Kynoch 1960 30-06 ammunition. At that time was still berdan primed. Jameison brass I have heard has or had problems regarding sizing of the rims and case heads. Has this situation been corrected?. Maybe my version of the 375 2.5" differs slightly from the British one. So what??. I won't have to depend on foreign sources for brass. Not to insult anyone here by the way. Molds abound in 375 caliber.
PGT can grind a reamer set (rougher and finisher) good 375 blanks or preturned barrels are easy to get. And since the standard length for the 303 british case is about 2.222 or thereabouts I'm only going for the last 1/4" or so to get what I want. Ruger shurely still has 30-40 krag extractors so that should not be a problem. And if thet won't sell any a good smith can rework a 45-70 extractor down to 30-40 krag size. In my mind its doable based on using the ruger #3 action or the enfield actions previously mentioned. In fact due to the lower breech pressure of the 375/405 winchester pressures in a lot of single shot actions would not be a problem. I have a rifle that could be the next 375/405 winchester. Will it be the hottest thing since ice cream NOPE. Just one mans take on a classic british cartridge using basically off the shelf components. Who knows, maybe Frank in his pressure testing and the use of strain guages will allow him to up the safe lever at which these actions/rifles can safely operate. This may or may not happen due to safety concerns. That I understand. His main concern is to provide a product that will be safe, accurate and pleasing to the eye. So far nothing I have seen has led me to believe otherwise. In fact I wish him a very successful venture into what could become a viable alternative to the plethora of sharps, ballards, high walls, rolling blocks and so forth at black powder matches. Imaging showing up at Raton with a side hammer peabody and commencing to knowk down the chickens, turkeys, pigs,rams and buffaloes and doing it with a modern recreation of an 1870 style hammer gun. Well I've rambled on way too long. Hope you gents forgive me and apologize in advaance for taking up your time. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #48 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 10:28am
Print Post  
405 winchester case is about 
2.5380 in length. To get to 2.5" yes I'll have to trim and possibly neck ream.

Frank first the 405 case. 

First the .405 case won't work in .375 NE chamber.  The diameter of the rim is greater and the rim is thicker. If you put the 405 in a side hammer Peabody chambered for a .375 Flanged NE, the breech block will not close.   

If you deepen the rim seat so the .405 will chamber in the .375 Flanged NE  then the Flanged will be out of head sopace and my misfire or extrude primers and lock up the breech block.

Also when you fire the .405 in the .375 Flaged NE cahmber the .405 brass is goign to bulge right in front of the web.

You can make a .405/375 2.5 or a .375 Flanged NE but they are not interchangable.

We are talking about chamberings for the Side Hammer Peabody here in this topic not developing a new cartridge.

Your discussion about making  a new .375 2.5 cartridge is interesting, but that topic is about the side Hammer Peabody.  So any discussion of you new cartridge gets mixed in and diluted by trying to relate it to the Peabody.

Another reason, I prefer to stay traditional is these old designs were built with the cartridges of the era in mind.  They did not take into consideration future higher pressure cartridges. The original Peabody was a rimfire rifle. 

I see nothing wrong with you building your .405/375 2.5 on the guns you mentioned.  The magazine guns of course has length problems.
Why don't you reopen your old topic for more discussion on this cartridge. I encourage you to build your idea. 

I don't see it as vialbe in a Side Hammer Peabody.

Jamison brass did put out a lot of 5000 rounds of 577/450 brass that was bad.  They also stood behind their product and replaced the brass for anyone who turned the brass in. I had some of that bad brass and it worked just fine in all my rifles. I didn't turn mine in. I left it with the rifles in South Africa.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #49 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Frank, my hats off to you or anyone who can shoot at 1000yds. The longest that I've shot at was 200yds. I have cataracts and last eye exam was told that they weren't "bad" enough to get operated on yet. Jeeze can't a guy get a break??. Good luck at the matches. 
DoubleD, thanks for setting me straight about the Jamison brass. At least it was good to hear about someone backing up their product. Which is all to sadly lacking in today's world. Good idea about reopening my topic about converting or creating yet another 375 cartridge. If its ok with the Moderators and the folks here would like to do just that. Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #50 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
Frank, love the 1895 winchester. Have an origional saddle ring carbine in 30-40 krag. Spent the better part of two weeks getting the barrel cleaned as well as the other parts. Unfortunately the barrel mounted rear sight went south since it was made in 1915. So bubba (man does he get around) cut a dovetail and stuck a semi buckhorn sight and removed the front sight blade and replaced it with one made out of a silver dime. And to add insult to injury used a brad nail as the pin and peened both ends in place. Read somewhere (strobel's old gun sights) that the musket version was available with the 1901 krag barrel sight. Will have to dig out my 1898 krag and see if its true. It has the 1901 rear sight. What I did regarding the aperture opening on receiver mounted rear sights such as lyman or williams is stick the aperture in the lathe and open it up as large as possible without actually cutting into the threaded shank. Then cold blue
any bright metal. Besides the cataracts the other problem is trying to focus
through the aperture. Small aperture openings just do not let in enough light so that's why I opened it up. Did the same thing on the aperture on my bsa 12/15 martini 22rf. It worked for me. Didn't want to get the barrel
drilled and tapped for scope bases. You wouldn't know how high the blade front sight on the 1895 scr in 30-40 krag is??. If I cannot find one high enough will have to cut and file one out. Even with the larger aperture on the rear sight I still have to use the largest insert on the lyman 17 series globe front sight. Have a doctor's appointment scheduled and being a type2 diabetic doesn't help any either. Thanks Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #51 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Singleshotlover, email me at moodyholler@cox.net for a front sight for that 1895 caribiner. I have a new Marbles from way back. Later, moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #52 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
new picture of one of Frank and the crews new KILL DEER  Tommy

tommyauger

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #53 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
The caliber of this kill deer is in 38-55. I orderd one in a 33wcf I need to give up this sport its killing my savings account.But what the hell I can make more money. Tommy Auger

tommyauger

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #54 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Frank
writing to check on my 25-20 wcf. I am sure it is looking good I cant wait to see it. I am wondering if anyone on this site could give me their thought on the 25-20wcf as a 200 yard schuetzen cartridge. Is a 90 gain bullet large enough to fight the wind???I was also told that I would not be able to breechseat the bullet in the peabody action, Has anyone ever breechseated a peabody?.  thanks Tommyauger

tommyauger

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #55 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Just ask 38Cal how he breechseats in his BSA 12/15 - he came up with a pretty nifty lay-out with essentially an extension pin on the revceiver which served as fixed point for the breechseater.

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Send me a pm with your email address, and I'll be glad to reply with photos of how I did it on my Martini 12/15 in .35 caliber.

David
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

French Jack
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Oct 22nd, 2009 at 10:31am
Print Post  
I recently received my Peabody "Kill Deer" from Frank at Providence Tool.  I am tickled to death with it.  I opted for the curly maple straight stock with a #3 octagon barrel from Badger.  Lyman #21 sight as made by Providence.  The caliber is one of my favorites, 38-56 WCF.  The action and barrel breech was engraved by Jim Downing, and after the super case hardening job, looks absolutely beautiful.

It was worth every penny and the wait was reasonable as well.

I fired a few shots to initially set the sights, and it does well with my favorite load:  330 gr. Postell 20-1, 52 gr. FFG Wano, plastic wad cut from milk jug, drop tubed and compressed 1/4 " with compression die, Fed 215 primer. Remington cases.  Velocity is 1200 fps, with 3fps deviation.

Great job, Frank, and thanks again for the beautiful rifle.

Bob

IP Logged

doubs43
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Having looked at the Providence Tool web site and without reading all of the 4 pages of posts, I have a statement & question.

I need good vernier tang sights and I don't see a tang to which a sight can be mounted. Will a tang be available on the rifle at any time?

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #59 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
peabody photo
This is a 45-70 that is going to a lucky guy.  The  first whatcheer ...Frank I hope the wood on my 25-20 looks this nice Tommy

tommyauger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint