Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody? (Read 59315 times)
whitey hanson
Ex Member

Re: Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody?
Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Doug and Gert.As you two have all the good martin's stashed. Grin Grin Reproduceing some could be a good idea. Whitey

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Whitey, I can't speak for Gert but  I was very excited to see the reintroduction of the side hammer Peabody and I will have one.   

As much as I would like to see someone take up the Francotte Martini, the topic here is the Peabody.  Think we should show the Folks at Peabody some courtesy and stay on topic.   

Questioning giving the Peabody the name of a famous Martini, I would think is still on topic.

But then I guess since Frank did bring it up we should pester him about making the large Francotte.  But lets let him get this Peabody going first then we'll push him for the Francotte Martini.  He said he can do, we see later if he can.  I'm willing when he is ready to loan him my Rifle for copying.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

whitey hanson
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Doug you are right 1st things first. Grin As I have two orginal side hammer peabodys that I have not decided what to do with yet.
But that does not stop me from liking martini's also. send me a test email at  whanson@plainstel.com. And will send you a pcture of my new martin'i toy. Whitey

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #18 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Sirs
I find it very interesting reading what people have to say about the Peabody. Being new to the sport of Black Powder shooting I may be a little under informed. But I will say after starting with a friends used  Highwall in a 45-70 the feel and the handling of my Peabody is the cats meow. My groups are getting better everytime out. Tommy Bates my blackpowder guru is making outstanding loads for me and I hope to meet some of you gentleman at some up coming shoots. I will be the long haired tatooed kid making the peabody sing. Thanks for keeping the sport going for the younger crowd. TOMMY AUGER Cool Cool

tommyauger

IP Logged

podufa

Reply #19 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Good easy way to get out of that.

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Quote:
There are obviously several Martini experts and enthusiasts here; I didn't realize that so many shooters were so passionate about the Martini system. With regard to building the Martini large frame with the Francotte take down system, we certainly can do it, and it looks like a project with which we are interested. Especially if you think there is sufficient commercial market for the sales of at least 100 guns per year. (We should, however, discuss the advisibility of including the takedown feature on a target rifle, no matter how rigid it may be.) In many ways, the Martini is a simpler system than the Peabody; the lock and triggers on a Peabody are quite complicated pieces of machinery. In any case, we will need to borrow your sample rifle to disassemble and feed into our Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM), in order to get dimensions and tolerancing, and finally, CNC machining programs. (Original parts usually don't get scratched too much, but they need to be perfectly clean of oil and dirt, as the CMM will pick up that. Also, we will need the original from which to make stock pattterns. We are already working on reamers and brass for the .44-90 Peabody "What Cheer" cartridge, so that will be ready for this rifle. We will also need you to provide $98,500 ($50K up front) to cover all the R&D costs associated with a project like this (this is what we have into the Peabody to date.) You will receive the first rifle built (serial #1) however the $98,500 does not include the cost of the rifle. Delivery will be 24 months from receipt of funds. I realize that this is an agressive schedule, and the development costs are much less than what would normally be for a complex project like this, but our staff is quite efficient. We can begin in Jan 2009, as our CNC machines and our design engineer should have an opening then. Let me know how to proceed, and thanks for your continued interest. Frank.

ROTFLMAO!

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Tar_Baby
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
dd send him the rifle you have with body puddy and paint to cover rust---very nice. Smiley

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Oct 25th, 2008 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
That's a good one Tar Baby!!  No way he gets that gun!  That's my Gopher gun!  Besides it's a small Francotte not a large.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 3:38am
Print Post  
"We have had numerous conversations with collectors and have found that they are mostly an intelligent, well informed group."

Well, this stupid, uninformed collector thinks you just found an easy way out...  Enough said.

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:22am
Print Post  
All kidding and joking aside; projects like this cost big money and we just don't have it right now.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:21pm by »  

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #25 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Frank and anyone interested
I went shooting the peabody yesterday at the Mondovi Wis range. There were a few people that enjoyed handling the gun. Please put your website back on the forum because some of those people would like to look at it. The grouping went OK yesterday I think the shooter(me) let the rifle down. Would anyone out there let me in on some secrets that they have tighten up my groups???Also I would love to meet up with some local guys to shoot sometime and learn more about this great shooting sport. I will come to you if you let me.Thank you very much to the people that has kept this sport going and I hope to do my part in the future. Tommy Grin Grin

tommyauger

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
The New Peabody Rifle; manufactured by the Providence Tool Co.Plymouth, Wi. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);  
See our new models; "What Cheer" "Rough and Ready" "Kill Deer", to be shown in Dec 08.                  

IP Logged

podufa

Reply #27 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Somebody must have removed some of their other post . I wonder why.

IP Logged

ab7wh

Reply #28 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
SmileyJust received my new "Kill Deer" rifle in .33 WCF today and I couldn't be happier!  During the time it was being built, Frank at Providence Tool Co. called many times to make sure it was exactly what I wanted and I can truthfully say it is.

The fit of metal-to-metal and metal-to-wood is especially good, only to be matched by the blue and color case colors.  I've seen several modern attempts at color case hardening and this rifle ranks up there with the best ... not too flamboyant but very honest.  Hope to get my teacher wife to take some digital pictures to send along in the future.

Of course, the proof will be in the firing but if the excellent action of the breechblock, lock and set triggers is any indication, I shouldn't be disappointed.

I'm glad I took the plunge to buy this rifle and recommend the Providence Tool Company and its products very highly.

More news later after flood waters receed and I find time to get back to the loading bench.

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #29 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Sir
That is great to hear I though I might be the only one out there shooting this great gun. I am shooting the Peabody in 45-70 and like it very much. So much that I am having Frank and the crew build me one in a 25-20 wcf shcuetzen rifle. I cant wait to see what they come up with for a stock plam rest and the whole nine yards. Congrats on your kill deer I would sure like to see it sometime. By the way I think the case color ranks up there with the work of the great Mr. Turnbull......

tommyauger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint