Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody? (Read 59317 times)
BillOregon

Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody?
Sep 22nd, 2008 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
I saw the ad for the new Peabody being made by Providence Tool in the SPG news. Has anyone handled or shot one of these rifles yet?

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody?
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
I have had a chance to look at them and also shoot one at or Summer match. It was a prototype in 40-65. Had a few issues but not all that bad. Two were on the line for our fall match and the owners tried them out and seemed happy. I had knee surgery and was not able to shoot this time.
One of the owners came to the matches and was interested in getting comments from people. I have on on order and will be able to give a better report when I have it in hand. I will ask if either o0f the sort of locals that now have one are willing to talk on line don't even know if they are on line.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

BillOregon

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Laurie: Thanks for the comments. Hope your knee heals quickly. How long has your rifle been on order?

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
I was also at the match this spring and fall.  Laurie stated it correctly about the rifle it was the prototype.  One new shooter to our match ordered after wards,  and has lready recieved and is very happy with the way that it shoots.  For being a new shooter he states that he has shot some very good groups with it.  If I can remember how to post pictures on the news group I will post the picture of the fellows that got to shoot it for the first time.  infact the new shooter that ordered his rifle at the summer match also won the off hand king target that was shot at 200yds with the Peabody. I also have ordered my new Peabody Which will be the display rifle at the Wisconsin NRA that will be heald in Eau Claire, Wi in Febuary.   Again I look at the price of an all American made rifle, with American components  for less than an import  $1400.00.   

Bill Flanagan

IP Logged

maudite
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2008 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Hi
Could you give me a description of the Rough and Ready version of the Peabody rifle

IP Logged

tommyauger

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Sir
I am a proud owner of a new Peabody by Providence tool. After shooting the prototype at the Eau Claire spring match I knew that one should be mine. Mine is chambered in 45-70. Very happy so far, I am new to the sport and I am getting lots of help for a friend. He is doing the reloading I just shooting and having fun. My last time out we had around a 2 inch group. Only 87 round thru the gun but all is well Cheesy
Tommy Auger

tommyauger

IP Logged

gunner69
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Frank,  VERY nice looking rifle.  Would be nice in 38-55 or 40-64 I will bet.  What kind of pressures can the action take?

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Frank, I really applaud your efforts to reincarnate the Peabody rifle lineup.  Sure do wish, though, that you had not used the model names from the Peabody Martini rifles...could be real confusing to some shooters and, of course, collectors.

Wish I had been able to get to eclair, but the weather that weekend (floods, and associated nastiness) stopped me for the first time in years.

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 8:04am
Print Post  
I'll have to side with 38_cal on this - if you're going to call it What Cheer, then it had better look like the original Providence What Cheer  - this just causes confusion...   

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 9:35am
Print Post  
I have to agree about this. This putting What Cheer and Kill Deer on the these Peabodys is a bit disconcerting. The What Cheer and a Kill Deer were Peabody Martini's. 

I applauded you reintroducing the Peabody. It is a welcome addition to the field.  But I now am having some second thoughts about buying one.  

But putting What Cheer or Kill Deer on a Peabody denigrates the rifle and is gross mislabling.  It's about like labeling a Ford F150 as a Corvette.

Don't do it.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

gunner69
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Frank,  Thanks for making the Peabody again,  WTF, call them WHATEVER blows your skirt up.  When I get the bucks up I will probably get one in 40-65 as a woods rifle.  It should look nice between my Sharps 45-70 and Sharps 38-55.  You can't please EVERYONE,  but as long as your customers are happy who cares? Grin Cool

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Back in the late 60s I used an original (+/-) in .45/70 as a hunting rifle, climbing over blowdowns and in a canoe.  It was a GREAT rifle for that sort of hunting.  I no longer hunt, but that .33 WCF gets my attention.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
The names seem fine to me. The rifle doesn't appear to be a slavish copy, so I see no harm in using period names on them. Bravo! for bringing them out.

In the spirit of the Little Sharps, you're welcome to scale the current model down for the .357 and other cartridges of a 3/8 inch head size. Smiley

I really look forward to handling a Kill Deer in .33 WCF.

Karl
IP Logged

32-35

Reply #13 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Frank,

Don't worry about the trivial complaints on what you name the rifles.  Modern Sharps have names such as "Saddle Rifle" and the "Quigley Model", and I'm not aware of any confusion it has caused collectors. The original Peabody Side Hammer Sporter had no catchy names from the factory. Since you have chosen to give your rifles names to differentiate the various models, it is certainly appropriate that you have decided on names used by the original Providence Tool Company and not some modern jazzed up names.

Good Luck with your venture.

John Gross

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 10:10am
Print Post  
I may find the name use objectionable, but it won't stop me from wanting and buying.  Something I intend to do after the first of the year. 

Just because we don't like the name doesn't mean we don't like the rifle, so be nice to us. 

I am also with Gert, make your next project a large Francotte action.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint