Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody? (Read 59322 times)
38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Anyone handle or shoot the new Peabody?
Reply #75 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Wish I could say that I remember you, Tim, but I was there for 20 years, 1987-2007, and talked with tons of folks each week.   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

sureshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #76 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Hi David,
I haven't shot the Ruger yet, I'm just trying to get a feel for how high a front sight I will need and compare that with what's available.
The way I came up with the 3/4" sight height was by taking one of my Shiloh Sharps rifles with the same length barrel and setting the rear tang sight at a known 100yd setting, then taking a piece of heavy thread and running it through the rear sight aperture and then the front aperture insert to form a straight line over the barrel. I then figured the distance from the thread to the center line of the bore at the breech end of the barrel and at the center of the front sight. This gave me the angle between the line of sight and the bore for a 100yd setting.
I then did the same thing with the Ruger with the rear sight at it's lowest setting and the thread suspended over the muzzle end using a magnet on the muzzle. By raising the thread to a point that gave me the same angle to the bore as the Shiloh, I came up with the 3/4" measurement for the front sight height.
This sounds like a lot of work but really only took a few minutes to do.
Like Tim, I'll only be testing loads at 100yd. Most shooting will be done at 200yd+. So if it's a little high at 100yd, no big deal.

Steve  Smiley

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2010 at 9:46pm by sureshot »  

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #77 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Not to be argumentative, Steve, but run your rear sight up a bit from dead bottom before you lock in your front sight height.  You may end up at a 100 yard match and might need the elevation!  Yours is as good a way of guestimating the initial front sight height as any, and probably better than most.   Wink

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Frank, it's a fact of life that you can't keep this crowd strictly on subject for any length of time.   Grin  Just the way it is here, especially when a thread goes on for several months and six pages!   

David

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #79 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
I am very proud of Tim for winning B class at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton NM. I with the ideas of Tim am coming with the Raton and Rough and Ready models.For further information, check out my new web site. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Not affiliated with Peabody Research and Development LC.   Frank

IP Logged

Idaho Sharpshooter

Reply #80 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Interesting that the initial post two years ago showed a $1400 price tag.
The current website shows nearly $4000.  Is that all wood and sights?

Rich

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #81 - Sep 17th, 2010 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
    Rich, I can tell you from first hand experience that my rifle no. 31 was a real disappointment. I kept smoldering as I watched this thread and finally have to say something. A combination of poor fit, casting flaw in receiver, sanding marks in the wood, file marks on the flats of the barrel, incorrect length of pull, and a failure to fire reliably caused me to call Frank and he informed me that at $1750.00 I did not pay for hand polishing. At this point I was asked to return the rifle for another one, and I asked to send in my own wood for project as the semi-fancy I was supplied( and paid for) was a real disappointment. When I asked if the next one would be finished better, Frank became very angry and insisted that I send the rifle back for a refund.
    I have to say there are some very impressive rifles in the gallery of pictures and mine was sure not comparable. Being a project engineer, I have learned over the years to save everything and I have all of the corresponence and 100 or so pictures if anyone wants to see them. Here's to a neat rifle design and I still hope one day to own in 38-56.   Angrymoodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Reply #82 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
I own number 19. and the fit and finish was great.  Checkering done by Tim Lyon was better than i hoped for.  The 4000K price tag you are talking about is for the top of the line creedmore in the 44-95  yes the basic rifle starts at 1400 and goes up from that point.  granted every one has a different look upon how rifles should look and turn out.  I shoot with the fellow that purchased your rifle from Frank and has had great success with it.  I do feel that the Peabody rifle to be an excellent buy for the money and it being made in the USA  for the same or less than one from off shore. Frank has been more that fair with me and has gone over the top in dealing with any questions that i have had.  Several pictures of my rifle have been posted here and the gun has ended up being used in guns of the old west photo shoot and was it on display at Raton this year where the compliments where nummerous.  I would give Frank and order and tell him just want you want and what you want to spend and I am sure that he would deliver.  I have no connection to Frank or his company  just a very happy consumer  buy US not Off shore

\Bill

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #83 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
   Mr. C. C., I am truly glad that your experience with PEABODY LLC exceeds mine in so many ways. If I built rifles for a living I would work hard to keep my checkerer happy. That you were able to stock your own rifle and are affiliated with PROVIDENCE means you did get preferential treatment not extended to others.
   As to the “CHAMPAGNE TASTES”,  you do not know me or my means. My Shiloh and C Sharps products of comparable costs do not have issues.
   That you would buy another Peabody I am sure, since it ALSO will be above average.
   With regards to the rifle refund, most other companies would not have shipped a rifle that unsatisfactory.

PS I am an engineer and I do know quality. That you have started into BPCR is great news, as we need new blood. 

From the poor ‘Holler, ADIOS!

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #84 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Mr. Moodyholler,I want to thank you for you list of unsatisfying complaints,and additional expectational demands which brought up the price from 1600.00 to 2195.00.,plus an exceptional quality control check list,based from your list.It took the Sharps boys  25 years to get where there at.I am right behind them, especially Tim throwing a wrench in B class at Raton.First Peabody ever.The new wax pattern molds will bring new tolerences to within .002 to original Peabody dims.I will have to thank you for the quality ideas.You are still a welcomed customer.The man that bought your gun and sportslube are whooping butts at Eau Claire.If you ever order a gun with checkering,Tim will give you his best.     Frank   Smiley Wink

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Members,I haven't posted for awhile.Iwas too busy with G'ment jobs,and retooling the Peabody.The new receivers will be able to shoot factory loaded smokless.I am coming out with standard Stalkers in kit form,for about $895.00.Just a basic starter that can be upgraded later.In June,check our web for details.We will be machining our stocks with 4th and 5th axis technology.Receivers,castings combined with 4th and 5th axis machining.We have OEM Peabody 43 internal parts for replacement or conversion from rimfire to centerfire.Parts are partially machined,but must be fitted by a gunsmith.You must call or email me on this subject.Also for 1395.00 we will have a basic starter with straight stock,buck horn rear sight, front bead,receiver drilled and tapped for a future Model 21.We will be using herring bone grain ASH.Just as pretty as maple.You will be able to get all models in the 45-100.Round barrels,26 and 28 inch lengths.Winchester oct barrels, 30 to 34 inch.Round,Douglas,oct,Green MTN.All target models models will come with Baldwin Sights rear with Hadley eyepiece.We will be stocking kits and the stalker starter the end of aug 011.They may be ordered thru a dealer. Frank  fwierus@excel.net Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

fwierus
Ex Member

Reply #86 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Correction,we cancelled kits due to added liability clauses.We did modify our Stalker line.We have not raised our prices.We now modified our receivers to shoot factory load smokless.We retooled for faster delivery.I will match the quality and the precision of the American Sharps boys.The 45-100 Peabody now has Hornady dies.It will be a big challenge next year to Raton.All of the Peabody parts have been fully casted and machined to authentic spects.Our fine selection of wood will be walnut cherry.maple when available.and ash.There will be pictures on our Providence web site in a week or two.We also have the North Woods line of bullet lube for smokless and black powder,duck decoys,rifle stock blanks.We went thru some stumbling blocks,but that induced our quality. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint